Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Front mudguard has slight friction with wheel, what should I do?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-21, 01:22 PM
mihai.alpha

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I got a bike recently. I noticed that there's a friction sound coming out periodically from the front wheel. I then checked to see what was happening and there seems to be a part of the wheel that has more contact with the mudguard (I figured this out by mixing the wheel like a record and noticed that it's only when a certain part of the wheel meets with the mudguard).
Is this a reason of worry? It's not annoying tbh since I don't notice it when I ride the bike but could this use up the tire prematurely?
Old 10-25-21, 01:28 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6190 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
If the tire is constantly rubbing on the tire, I'd suspect that either the tire is not in the frame properly or the fender supports are bent. If the tire only bumps the fender briefly, then probably the tire needs to be trued.

Neither is the only cause and fixing to solve just the rub without knowing if everything else is correct might leave you blissfully unconcerned that something worse is going on.

If this is a brand new bike, I'll always suggest take it back to where you got it and let them look at it or at least take it back to the nearest authorized dealer for that brand of bike.
Old 10-25-21, 01:49 PM
mihai.alpha

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
>If the tire only bumps the fender briefly
yeah, it's like a SHHH____________SHHH____________SHHH_________ when I ride it slow enough to hear the friction sound

I'll just get it to the shop I got it from then
Old 10-25-21, 01:56 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 519 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by mihai.alpha
>If the tire only bumps the fender briefly
yeah, it's like a SHHH____________SHHH____________SHHH_________ when I ride it slow enough to hear the friction sound

I'll just get it to the shop I got it from then
My guess is the wheel isn't true or the tire isn't properly seated in the rim. I put fenders on my bike and there is very little clearance. In fact, sometimes I have to stop and roll the tires backwards to clear out debris that builds up between the tire and the fender. Road bikes were not meant to ride in mud or pine needle covered foot paths after installing fenders. But get the wheel trued or the tire massaged onto the rim and you shouldn't have any rubbing. Rubbing bad!
Old 10-25-21, 01:58 PM
mihai.alpha

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, thanks for the tips!