Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Scratched bearing seating of headset lower cup

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-21, 03:56 AM
ReallySloJoe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

UPDATE: Today I tried installing a new bearing. Measurements are 51.9*40, 45/45, same as the one I removed. I guess I should have realized the size might be a problem and properly measured instead of ordering the same. It won't fit. I measured the inside of the cup and got a diameter 51.8. Should I use a 51.8 bearing or something even smaller so it will fit? Thanks...
​-------
While removing a fork I damaged in a crash, I found that the lower headset bearing was notchy. I tried to remove it, but it wouldn't budge.
The bearing was flush with the inner diameter of the cup so I couldn't push it out from the top, all that happened was I removed the internal part of the bearing. The outer part of the bearing (outer race?) was still stuck inside. Heated the cup with a towel with boiling water, but eventually started using force between the bearing and the cup. This ended with me scratching the cup quite a bit. One scratch about 0.5 mm deep, I'd say.

How bad is it to use with a new bearing? Should I immediately replace the cup? What could I have done differently? Any very thin, very strong tool that could have been wedged between the bearing and the cup?
Bike is Niner Sir 9 v2.0 with ZS44/28.6 EC44/40 headset.

Can't yet post pictures...
Thanks for any advice based on this.
Thansk

Last edited by ReallySloJoe; 12-02-21 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-26-21, 04:42 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Those types of headsets are a real PIA to get bearings out of if they are pressed in or severely rusted in place. Install the new bearing and ride it. The gouge won't present any issues in durability or present failure risk.
Old 10-26-21, 05:54 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts
Pic Assist - https://www.bikeforums.net/g/picture/22898873

Old 10-26-21, 10:36 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
You gotta judge will the bearing sit flush and square. If you think it won't get a new cup.
Old 10-26-21, 11:19 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
Since this is the bicycle mechanics forum (and also since I may have to do this in the near future)...

How do you go about getting a pressed-in headset bearing?
Old 10-26-21, 11:28 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Since this is the bicycle mechanics forum (and also since I may have to do this in the near future)...

How do you go about getting a pressed-in headset bearing?
The bearing the OP's bike is not pressed in. It was a cartridge bearing that was locked into place by corrosion and had to be forced out. This is not uncommon for lower headset bearings on bikes that are used in wet weather. As for where to get the bearing, Cane Creek sells replacement bearings for their headsets. They also have an upgraded stainless "hellbender" version that may help prevent this type of seized bearing in the future.
Old 10-26-21, 06:54 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
A complete brand new Cane Creek 40 headset meeting those specs isn't that expensive and the individual upper and lower assemblies are also available separately. Buy a new replacement.
Old 10-27-21, 03:17 AM
ReallySloJoe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the insight and advice.
I'll try seating the new bearing properly. Wanted to avoid the extra expense but if I see that it isn't seating properly, I'll bite the bullet and get a new cup. An opportunity to learn a new skill and make some tools...
Old 10-27-21, 08:31 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
You can seat the things with 16 inches of all-thread (3/8"), two nuts, and some washers. Alternately, put a block of hardwood over the cap and use a hammer (moderate whaps - make sure you keep the thing aligned). The hammer approach takes talent and I'd go for all-thread. I got a full Cane Creek 40 headset for $42 bucks, parts probably cheaper. The allthread you can get for about 10-20 bucks. good luck.
Old 10-27-21, 09:36 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
Since that is just a holder for the bearing cartridges, and not actual loose bearing races, the scratches won't affect much. If there are some high spots, you could knock them down with sandpaper or emery cloth.

My general method to remove traditional headsets is to take a large crescent wrench. Set it to the outside of the head tube, and on top of the headset, and give a couple of whacks of the hammer.
Old 10-28-21, 08:24 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by ReallySloJoe
Thanks for the insight and advice.
I'll try seating the new bearing properly. Wanted to avoid the extra expense but if I see that it isn't seating properly, I'll bite the bullet and get a new cup. An opportunity to learn a new skill and make some tools...
No need to get a new headset. Just get the bearing. The “scratches” you have are just chips in the coating. They will cause no functional issue.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!