Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

**** just got real - UCI revisiting the Lugano Charter

Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-13, 11:36 AM
8bits

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

https://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/...onsultant.html

Martin Gibbs, the UCI Chief of Staff, said, ‘We'd really like to get back to the kind of levels of interest in this area that we saw with riders like Chris Boardman and Graeme Obree in the 1990s. Not necessarily quite that level of anarchy, but certainly we'd like to see that sort of excitement.

‘I think in the past the UCI has been guilty of regulating things it shouldn't have, and not regulating the things it should. We want Dimitris to look at everything, all the regulations, across the board. With his current knowledge, he'll be able to take an intelligent approach to regulating what we need to, and leaving the rest alone.'

Katsanis's remit will include looking at the Lugano Charter, the 1997 document that brought to an end the innovations of the 1980s and 1990s by spelling out the approach that the rider must always be more important than the bike.

‘A lot has happened in development since then,' says Gibbs. ‘Its philosophical basis is fine, but in the past actually translating it into rules has been a challenge. So we want to see if it needs re-written or refreshed.'
Old 12-19-13, 12:11 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
I doubt that things are going to get revised to the point where we see weird and explosive experimentation - I just bet that they'll find a better balance with what they regulate and how they articulate those regulations.
Old 12-19-13, 01:12 PM
8bits

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm skeptical too, but his phrasing seems to suggest something "more exciting" as he puts it.
Old 12-19-13, 01:17 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I understand there may be a move from the penny farthing to the safety bicycle.
Old 12-19-13, 01:19 PM
Quinn8it

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please let me put my saddle back where it belongs for the kilo!!!!
Old 12-19-13, 01:26 PM
amybikes

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Really, really awesome. Although do you guys think this will give the GB team an even bigger advantage than they already have, equipment wise? But really, totally, a positive IMO.
Old 12-19-13, 01:40 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by amybikes
Really, really awesome. Although do you guys think this will give the GB team an even bigger advantage than they already have, equipment wise? But really, totally, a positive IMO.
Probably, but only because they seem to not only invest in coaching, travel, talent search, and stipends/salaries for their athletes, but also equipment and technology.

I haven't noticed any other national teams (or private teams) investing as heavily in equipment and technology. Maybe the Australians.

But, if this opens the door for major manufacturers to make money off of new tech, then I can see the major players (Specialized, Trek, Fuji, Giant) letting their engineers go wild in an effort to chase Olympic Gold and all of the free press and sales that come with that.

Many of us have worked in bike shops and I remember when Lance was on his streak and customers would come in saying, "I want a Trek." Period. They didn't care about specs, groupos, low-mid-high end...they just wanted a Trek because Treks won races.
Old 12-19-13, 08:12 PM
JMR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Quinn8it
Please let me put my saddle back where it belongs for the kilo!!!!
HAHA! Like!

JMR
Old 12-19-13, 08:13 PM
JMR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hopefully they get rid of/adjust the bike weight minimum rule.

JMR
Old 12-19-13, 08:35 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by JMR
Hopefully they get rid of/adjust the bike weight minimum rule.

JMR
Perhaps using a crash test standard like they do with wheels will be better. Frames requiring ballast to pass have been around for many years now, thus proving the durability of the lighter frames. Perhaps also acknowledging the fact that groupset weight reductions have had a big impact in this respect also!
Old 12-19-13, 11:31 PM
JMR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brawlo
Perhaps using a crash test standard like they do with wheels will be better. Frames requiring ballast to pass have been around for many years now, thus proving the durability of the lighter frames. Perhaps also acknowledging the fact that groupset weight reductions have had a big impact in this respect also!
Yep, I think that they still need to keep something in place to make sure that bikes don't get so light that they become unsafe... but in this day and age 6.8kg is far too high.

JMR
Old 12-20-13, 07:39 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Originally Posted by amybikes
Actually, it gives the other guys a better chance, if history is any indicator.

Think Graeme Obree's home built specials.

Tight restrictions on the form of equipment preclude the sort of light bulb moments you saw in his case, and tend to favor the bigger budget folks that can squeeze the most from what they have.

Motor racing is full of examples of some crazy genius finding a new way to skin a cat and knocking off the big guys. Colin Chapman and Lotus was a great example...hey, let's put the engine in the back. They were tiny compared to Ferrari and Mercedes, yet they came to dominate F1.

Funny to note that Obree took big swings at the Lotus bike, by that time Lotus was Goliath and Orbee was David with a welder and an idea.

Originally Posted by JMR
Yep, I think that they still need to keep something in place to make sure that bikes don't get so light that they become unsafe... but in this day and age 6.8kg is far too high.

JMR
There's no such thing as a "safe" weight, and no correlation between weight and a safe device. If you look at the recall list for consumer cycling products, the most recalled stuff is usually cheap and heavy things along the lines of the Denali MTB.

As a kid I broke a lot of heavy steel bikes in half.

Last edited by Racer Ex; 12-20-13 at 07:43 PM.
Old 12-21-13, 10:48 AM
usheen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton

I haven't noticed any other national teams (or private teams) investing as heavily in equipment and technology. Maybe the Australians.
The germans? Their FES's look pretty advanced
Old 12-21-13, 10:50 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex
I understand there may be a move from the penny farthing to the safety bicycle.
You know what they say, 2 wheels are better than one. . . .
Old 12-21-13, 01:04 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by usheen
The germans? Their FES's look pretty advanced
Yes! I forgot the Germans. Their FES work probably inspired the British program.
Old 12-21-13, 01:50 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Still gotta have that saddle 5cm behind the bb looks like, no help to anyone riding kilos.
Old 12-21-13, 04:33 PM
Velocirapture

Bikes: S-1 :-D

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke
Still gotta have that saddle 5cm behind the bb looks like, no help to anyone riding kilos.
The latest on saddle position is that the nose needs to be in line or behind the BB, I believe. Nose-tip within 5cm was allowed under biometric discretion previously, but its the biometric discretion part that has fallen away, if i understand correctly.
Old 12-21-13, 07:01 PM
Kayce

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe the regulations will start to understand that not every cyclist is even proportioned and between 5'8" and 6'1". The rules are annoying for average sized folks, but downright impossible for the very short or the very tall.
Old 12-21-13, 08:06 PM
Quinn8it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Velocirapture
The latest on saddle position is that the nose needs to be in line or behind the BB, I believe. Nose-tip within 5cm was allowed under biometric discretion previously, but its the biometric discretion part that has fallen away, if i understand correctly.
AHHH- HUH?
Latest? wheres that info coming from?

As i understand it- and as it was inforced all 2013-
*the saddle can be even with the BB(or behind) in sprint events ridden in drop handlebars (500/1K, Sprints, Keirin)
*the saddle must be at least 5cm behind the BB in Endurance events and/or any event ridden in aero bars..

the new restriction of enforcing a 5cm saddle set-back on kilo riders that use aero-bars is what has me and Babypuke all worked up..

Do you have some different information??
Old 12-22-13, 09:44 AM
Velocirapture

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Quinn8it
AHHH- HUH?
Latest? wheres that info coming from?

As i understand it- and as it was inforced all 2013-
*the saddle can be even with the BB(or behind) in sprint events ridden in drop handlebars (500/1K, Sprints, Keirin)
*the saddle must be at least 5cm behind the BB in Endurance events and/or any event ridden in aero bars..

the new restriction of enforcing a 5cm saddle set-back on kilo riders that use aero-bars is what has me and Babypuke all worked up..

Do you have some different information??
The commissaires at world masters all allowed me to ride with my saddle nose in line with the BB. Including in my pursuit. No one measured me 'biometrically' to ensure that a plumbline ran from the front of my knee, through the pedal spindle at 3 OClock (as it states in the UCI rules), and one of the commissaires mentioned that that had fallen away as the current take is that that the overall reach from back of saddle to front of pursuit bars couldn't be more than a certain length in total. So perhaps that's the factor for yourself and Babypuke? I haven't seen the actual written information though.
Old 12-22-13, 11:14 AM
Velocirapture

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's an excerpt from the UCI 'REGULATIONS: CHANGES PROPOSALS PART 1 – GENERAL ORGANISATION OF CYCLING AS A SPORT' (Rules amendments in force 01.01.14),

from here: https://www.uci.ch/templates/BUILTIN-...Y2NjU&LangId=1

which, in summary, says you can have your saddle tip up to the bb centre-line, so long as you are in drop bars, but if you add pursuit bars, the 5cm behind rule applies:

(The bold and strike-through disappeared when I pasted this hear, so i've just deleted the bits with strike-through; i hope i have rebolded all the correct bold bits)

(in bold, the modified parts to be approved)

1.3.013 The peak of the saddle shall be a minimum of 5 cm to the rear of a vertical plane passing
through the bottom bracket spindle. This restriction shall not be applied to the bicycle
ridden by a rider in a sprint event on track (flying 200 m, flying lap, sprint, team sprint,
keirin, 500 metres and 1 kilometre); however, in no circumstances shall the peak of the
saddle extend in front of a vertical line passing through the bottom bracket spindle.

The peak of the saddle can be move forward until the vertical line passing through the
bottom bracket spindle where that is necessary for morphological reasons. By
morphological reasons should be understood everything to do with the size and limb
length of the rider.

Any rider who, for these reasons, considers that he needs to use a bicycle of lesser
dimensions than those given shall inform the commissaires' panel to that effect at the
time of the bike check (see diagram «Measurements (2)»).

Only one exemption for morphological reasons may be requested; either the peak
of the saddle can be moved forward or the handlebar extensions can be moved
forward, in accordance with Article 1.3.023.

(text modified on 1.10.10 ; 1.02.12, 1.10.12)
 In force: 1.01.14

1.3.023 For road time trials and individual and team pursuit on the track, a fixed extension may be
added to the steering system; in this instance, the height difference between the elbow
support points and the highest and lowest points of the handlebar extension
(including gear levers) must be less than 10 cm . It is also possible to add a handlebar extension
for the 500 m and kilometre time trials on the track, but in this case, the position of the tip
of the saddle must be at least 5 cm behind the vertical plane passing through the bottom
bracket axle.

The distance between the vertical line passing through the bottom bracket axle and the
extremity of the handlebar may not exceed 75 cm, with the other limits set in article
1.3.022 (B,C,D) remaining unchanged. Elbow or forearm rests are permitted (see
diagram «Structure (1B)»).
Old 12-22-13, 01:37 PM
Quinn8it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Velocirapture
Here's an excerpt from the UCI 'REGULATIONS: CHANGES PROPOSALS PART 1 – GENERAL ORGANISATION OF CYCLING AS A SPORT' (Rules amendments in force 01.01.14),

from here: https://www.uci.ch/templates/BUILTIN-...Y2NjU&LangId=1

which, in summary, says you can have your saddle tip up to the bb centre-line, so long as you are in drop bars, but if you add pursuit bars, the 5cm behind rule applies:

1.3.013 The peak of the saddle shall be a minimum of 5 cm to the rear of a vertical plane passing
through the bottom bracket spindle. This restriction shall not be applied to the bicycle
ridden by a rider in a sprint event on track (flying 200 m, flying lap, sprint, team sprint,
keirin, 500 metres and 1 kilometre)
Help me understand…

this seams to contradict your experience at worlds??
Old 12-22-13, 01:46 PM
Quinn8it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UCI
(including gear levers) must be less than 10 cm only a position where the forearmsare in the horizontal plane is permitted. It is also possible to add a handlebar extensionfor the 500 m and kilometre time trials on the track, but in this case, the position of the tipof the saddle must be at least 5 cm behind the vertical plane passing through the bottombracket axle.
From top of page 2:
https://www.uci.ch/Modules/BUILTIN/ge...I4NzM&LangId=1
Old 12-22-13, 02:02 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/sites...etin%20N°4.pdf

According to this bulletin effective 2014 you can morph yourself to the bottom bracket centerline without having to prove you need it. Tips of bars may go to 80 cm as well, but not both. Pad height to bar tip height 10cm or less difference.

My experience has been that tweener years or years where the National federation might have a different rule...confusion reigns. I had an official argue with me about Masters track nats rules a few years ago so I produced an email from the head of USAC's officials confirming what I was saying.

The response was "well, he didn't tell ME".

There are more than a few officials in this sport that have the who's paying who relationship backwards.
Old 12-22-13, 02:15 PM
Quinn8it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/sites...etin%20N°4.pdf

According to this bulletin effective 2014 you can morph yourself to the bottom bracket centerline without having to prove you need it. Tips of bars may go to 80 cm as well, but not both. Pad height to bar tip height 10cm or less difference.

My experience has been that tweener years or years where the National federation might have a different rule...confusion reigns. I had an official argue with me about Masters track nats rules a few years ago so I produced an email from the head of USAC's officials confirming what I was saying.

The response was "well, he didn't tell ME".

There are more than a few officials in this sport that have the who's paying who relationship backwards.
WOW! so you are saying that if i keep my extension tips inside 75cm i can ride my saddle inside of 5cm???

that might take some adapting- as i always get a morph for extension length.. my 29" legs and 72" wingspan made the extension morph easy to pass..

not having to change saddles every time i put on aero bars would be amazing!!!

Last edited by Quinn8it; 12-22-13 at 02:18 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.