Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

So are the days of our lives...

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

So are the days of our lives...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-16, 05:21 PM
scheibo
once a runner

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
There's been some snark on the local Twitter about how dangerous it will be for pedestrians and cyclists, but they're not going to be any more hazardous than the suburban yahoos who are constantly driving the wrong way on a one-way street.
as far as i can tell, Google's self driving cars are much safer than normal cars. to the point where i constantly push the limits and do crazy **** around the self driving cars because it can see 360 degrees and is programmed to catious around cyclists/pedestrians, unlike human drivers who seem to go out of do the most unsafe **** imaginable to avoid having to slow for 3s when a cyclist is ahead of them.
Old 12-16-16, 05:36 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by scheibo
as far as i can tell, Google's self driving cars are much safer than normal cars. to the point where i constantly push the limits and do crazy **** around the self driving cars because it can see 360 degrees and is programmed to catious around cyclists/pedestrians, unlike human drivers who seem to go out of do the most unsafe **** imaginable to avoid having to slow for 3s when a cyclist is ahead of them.
Exactly.
Old 12-17-16, 07:41 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm finally going to take the tags off the new XC ski boots I bought at the beginning of last winter and never used because it never snowed!
Old 12-19-16, 04:57 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Me and Mrs. got to hang with racer ex and his lovely last evening. Good times were had. Then I rode today and remembered he has a heart full of hate.

I heart my new BMC.

I got a bunch of new ink on my arm.

Quit my job. Changes a foot. That's about all I got for an update. Looking forward to a beach break in the action to hang with the fam.

Happy holidays. Go easy.
Old 12-19-16, 05:09 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
The game's afoot!

Enjoy the beach break, and I hope those changes turn out the way you want them to.

Demain, on roule!
Old 12-19-16, 05:22 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
Quit my job.
Congratulations. Was this the school thing?
Old 12-19-16, 05:26 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
There's an article going around FB about a 37-year-old woman who signed a contract with Canyon-Sram after a training game on Zwift.

What I find more interesting than the story is the responses to it. On some peoples's posts, I see comments like, "That's awesome!" or "So Cool!" But then other people are posting things like, "I'm sure she's strong but can she handle her bike."
Old 12-19-16, 05:31 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Me and Mrs. got to hang with racer ex and his lovely last evening. Good times were had. Then I rode today and remembered he has a heart full of hate.

I heart my new BMC.

I got a bunch of new ink on my arm.

Quit my job. Changes a foot. That's about all I got for an update. Looking forward to a beach break in the action to hang with the fam.

Happy holidays. Go easy.
bro? bro! brooooooo. bro?!
Old 12-19-16, 05:34 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
There's an article going around FB about a 37-year-old woman who signed a contract with Canyon-Sram after a training game on Zwift.

What I find more interesting than the story is the responses to it. On some peoples's posts, I see comments like, "That's awesome!" or "So Cool!" But then other people are posting things like, "I'm sure she's strong but can she handle her bike."
Some people are just negative. Even if they're right, I'm sure her teammates will lock her in before she starts racing.

@gsteinb grats on the changes, and good luck with the future.
Old 12-19-16, 05:35 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
bro? bro! brooooooo. bro?!
Dude, seriously, BMC makes a pretty nice bike.
Old 12-19-16, 05:37 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Congratulations. Was this the school thing?

Not really school. I'm a meditation teacher and program director/creator for a small foundation. Dynamics aren't working any longer though, so I'm going to teach on my own. Sort of like the cycling coach model, but with meditation and mindfulness training.
Old 12-19-16, 05:40 PM
canuckbelle

Bikes: Scott Foil 10, Di2

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

https://www.road-results.com/racer/139298

On the one hand, it's quite possibly sexist to assume that she doesn't know how to handle her bike in a pro peleton.

On the other hand, it doesn't seem like she has a strong bike racing history...and racing with the pros is technically way more demanding than a local open field.

BUT...I agree with ferret that she'll have lots of help on that front, and I bet she's a very fast learner. Her first couple races will likely be rough, but that's true for most people.
Old 12-19-16, 05:41 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Show us the tattoo.
Old 12-19-16, 05:43 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Dude, seriously, BMC makes a pretty nice bike.
It must be, it got you riding outdoors!

Congrats on everything. I'm sure you'll make it all work.
Old 12-19-16, 05:52 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Enthalpic
Show us the tattoo.
+11 @gsteinb don't mention a tattoo and not show a picture!
Old 12-19-16, 05:53 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
did he crash you out too?
Old 12-19-16, 05:56 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
It must be, it got you riding outdoors!

Congrats on everything. I'm sure you'll make it all work.
Oh, damn son, there was no riding outdoors.

We just hung in a bar and grabbed dinner after they took in Broadway.

Way way too cold to ride outdoors.
Old 12-19-16, 05:58 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by Ygduf
+11 @gsteinb don't mention a tattoo and not show a picture!

It's just a start. Another session booked right after christmas.
Old 12-19-16, 07:39 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
Just ordered some new hiking boots.

A few years ago my ancient, but well loved Norwegian welt boots finally blew out after 30 years of hiking in Alaska, Smokeys many times, New Mexico many times, Scotland,Lake District of England, Bavarian Alps, Blue Mountains in OZ, etc. Then I bought some really comfy Asolo plastic and glue boots that fell apart after just a few seasons. They literally disintegrated on a hike on Thanksgiving Day.

I found some nice Italian made Norwegian welt boots at half price and will start to break them in. I plan on doing a lot of hiking at Sun Valley in August whilst waiting for the total eclipse
Old 12-19-16, 07:55 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

It's just a start. Another session booked right after christmas.
update when it's done. I have no idea what I'm looking at!
Old 12-19-16, 08:03 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
All sorts of stuff changing for us at home.

Turned in our Golf TDI (diesel cheater car). Got a lot of money. Spent less than half of it on my new-to-me car. I've been doing stuff to it to quiet it down from exhaust noise, installing speakers to make it louder where I want it to be louder. Have some stuff to do but it's a hoot of a car. Saving the change from the TDI for other things.

Got a job. Started today. I feel like a Cat 5 in his first race except that in my work case it's as if I'd never ridden a bike before the race. I have a lot to learn. Not beyond me, fine, but the sheer volume is just stupendous. To have income again, to see some kind of progression possible, I finally feel like I'm moving forward with my life again. Also it seems like a great place to work.

Part of the job entails much better benefits. Starting next month we're saving our mortgage payment every month on health insurance, which is absolutely insane. It's even in pre-tax dollars. We can pay Junior's daycare with some dependent care flex spending account. And we get better benefits. I want to get new glasses (or specifically new lenses for my glasses). Also I have to ask about prescription eye protection which they will get for me as part of work.

Started progressing hard on some long term projects around the house. Little things but they seem to sit for a while. There's inertia/momentum built into projects for me and now that everything is rolling it's natural to keep them rolling. Trim in a room, painting stuff, moving stuff around, putting in some safety stuff in the garage, etc.

Next year we're getting most of the (dying/dead/overgrown) trees in the yard cut down. I'm roughly guessing 30 trees? Maybe more. We're also getting a new roof, and when they do that, some extras (sky tube so far, considering a chimney for a yet-to-be-purchased stove). Condo association so although we're in a free standing home our dues pay for that stuff, so it's just waiting for the work to be done.

Missus put her order in for a new car, we're waiting to schedule the buyback for the second TDI we have based on the new car's schedule. Still have change left over after that.

The thing that loses out is cycling. I'm not interested in promoting anymore. I'm holding onto the trailer because, well, I want to hold onto it. I also want to hold onto a tow vehicle size vehicle for a bit because we have a lot of stuff that we can't haul with a compact car. It may be that I sell the Expedition (needs a few thousand dollars of work) and buy a slightly better condition tow vehicle. Trailer I can keep indefinitely, especially since I have a spot for it off-site if you will.

I'm also not really keen on racing a ton. Just the regular stuff, Tuesday Nights, some regular courses, probably not much else.

On a tangent I went karting one night, $60 all you can drive. Drove for a little less than 4 hours of heats (got there 1 hour late, couldn't do 3 heats during that time, did all the others that were available). Qualified for their better tier ("pro karts"). Now they just changed the course. But I could definitely see that being one of my things, to go karting 6-11 PM on a weeknight I have free. A racer that did my Spring Series has offered rides and even races in his two karts, a Rotax (fast, apparently like 60-70 mph) and some spec-class kart (9 hp?, 40-50 mph top speed). Combine that with wanting to autocross my car and working at a car place, I may become more a carhead than a bikehead.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 12-19-16, 08:05 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by Ygduf
update when it's done. I have no idea what I'm looking at!
=that part is done. It's little mickey mouse abstracts and Milo from the descendents album covers with mouse ears.
Old 12-19-16, 09:38 PM
abhirama

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad, Ridley Fenix

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Show us your new BMC too!
Old 12-19-16, 09:40 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
When a bike shop doesn't schedule appointments and expects customers to leave the bike, I feel like I'm walking into my doctor and he says sit there for 3 days and we may get to you. No, I can't just "leave my bike". I don't even understand the concept.

They are going out of business in February. High SF rent. Other than the whole leave the bike stuff it's a fine shop. Well, convenient location anyway.
Old 12-19-16, 09:49 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Does anyone else have designated clothes piles? Like, here is 100% dirty, will not wear again basket. Here is may wear again but could be washed edge-of-basket drape. Here in a neat but unfolded pile on top of something random is my worn but hey, wtf it's jeans, hoodies, and pajamas so will wear again soon without washing. And the bike gloves and hat are always in a state of flux - always dirty but must wear when I leave the house. So they get their own spot, usually nestled in my helmet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.