Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Touring bike

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Touring bike

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-18, 09:02 PM
Tanky

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Touring bike

Would welcome input on which touring bike to purchase; under consideration are Surly LHT, Fuji and Vivente (drop bars).

Priced at $1990 (for current model) $900 (for 2016/7 model) $1650 (for 2015 model) respectively
Old 02-08-18, 09:54 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Which Vivente? Three models on the home page have drops.

Also, what type of touring do you intent to do. (light credit card, medium weight or expedition.
That will help narrow the parameters.
Old 02-08-18, 09:57 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4347 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
I don't know anything about Vivente and Fuji just never really excites me so I would go LHT or DT. Obviously what you are doing with the bike can make a big difference but my first real touring bike was a Disc Trucker and I am glad I went with that.
Old 02-08-18, 10:36 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
I don't know about 2015 Vivente but current Patagonia looks really nice: relaxed geometry, allows wide tires, includes accessories. AFAIK $300 more than LHT but has disc brakes. Fuji is best value esp if one isn't planning on using wide tires.
Old 02-08-18, 11:29 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 344 Posts
If you cannot try the bikes out, you'll need to do a lot of online research. From what was stated before about type of touring, geography and your body build, will play big factors.

Surface: paved, gravel, off-road
Load: bike packing, rear rack, rear and front rack with panniers
Geography: N America, Europe, Australia or Africa, Asia, S America?
Terrain: Flat, hilly, mountainous-wet, dry, desert.

Answer these questions and that may help you narrow down your choices.
Let us know what you go with

Cheers
Old 02-08-18, 11:45 PM
Tanky

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Touring Bike

Thank you; most of the travelling will be on paved/sealed paths/roads; travelling light with rear panniers only weighing up to 10kgs.
Old 02-09-18, 01:34 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
I don't think you've given us enough info.

Here are the Vivente bikes. Quite a few different models. They do look interesting.

Anyway, what are the exact bicycles you're looking at? What type of touring? On road? Off road? Paved? Gravel? Credit Card Touring? Domestic USA/Europe? South America or Africa? Short tours? Long tours?

Riding? Flying? Carrying in the car? On a train? etc? How frequently?

Anyway, I don't think there is any one-size-fits-all bike.

For me... well, I'm putting the finishing touches on rebuilding a 18 year old Jamis to my needs. Hopefully I should have it ready for the first test ride tonight. Costs do add up quickly, but for me, the homebuilt bike is more to my needs than getting an off the shelf bike. And, I won't be worried about that first scratch.
Old 02-09-18, 02:45 AM
alois

Bikes: Avaghon series 28; Fuji Touring 2016; Santos Travelmaster 2.8

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am very happy with my Fuji Touring 2016, although I mainly use it for day trips and brevets, and not for loaded touring.
Old 02-09-18, 06:18 AM
Dark Arrow

Bikes: Vivente Patagonia, Giant Expedition, Raleigh Twenty, Brompton

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tanky
under consideration are Surly LHT, Fuji and Vivente (drop bars).

Priced at $1990 (for current model) $900 (for 2016/7 model) $1650 (for 2015 model) respectively

Thank you; most of the travelling will be on paved/sealed paths/roads; travelling light with rear panniers only weighing up to 10kgs.

Are these all new bikes (new old stock) or used?
US dollars or?
Is anything included with the bikes?
Vivente (I own the Patagonia and my wife has the Gibb so biased) comes with tubus rear racks hydraulic disc brakes, dyno hub, front and rear lights, duo bottle cages, extra brake pads, brass bell, horn, and a tool set to take the bike apart and put back together again. Not sure what came with a 2015 model ours were 2017.. again new or used?
If any of them come with bits you got to add that in when comparing price..

Last year I was replacing my 90's Giant touring bike. I was set on the Disc LHT and went to my local shop to buy one. I also rode a few other options one being the Vivente. I had some questions about frames n stuff so sent an email to the company. The owner returned my call and was very helpful and knowledgeable. Australia is not known for customer service.. In fact I don't think it is in the local vocabulary. However Noel from Vivente is top notch and very helpful and his customer service along with the shop I purchased our bikes from can't be beat here.
So after I considered all the bits added to the LHT the costs were about the same in $AU and the componentry on the Vivente was a pinch nicer. The Hydraulic brakes are very nice with fully loaded touring bikes.

The Fuji is a nice bike for the money but if you can afford the LHT or Vivente take one of those.

Bear
Old 02-09-18, 05:12 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
My LBS is a Trek & Raleigh Dealer, + has a QBP account, so Can get Surly/Salsa as well.

IDK, your availability.. you have those all available at your local bike shop? ,

you Must be in Australia because that is where the Vivente link goes..
Old 02-10-18, 06:54 PM
Aushiker

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts
I have a Surly Long Haul Trucker but the Vivente models are popular in the Bicycling Australia forums. See link here and here.
Old 02-10-18, 09:15 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Wonder if the Vivente might be a little heavy duty for the light touring the OP says they want to do.

I've developed basically two bikes for touring now. A 700c road bike for fast light long distance hwy use and my converted 26" mtb which is slower but a good heavy duty mule to do both road and gravel. If I want to pack stuff or go off road I like it but I know when I ride long distance I have often wished I could go faster, lighter (hence the second road bike for that purpose).

I have been looking at the Surly Crosscheck as a "one bike does all" option should I ever want to downsize. Road worthy but able to take fatter tires for gravel.
Old 02-11-18, 05:03 AM
Dark Arrow

Bikes: Vivente Patagonia, Giant Expedition, Raleigh Twenty, Brompton

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If the OP is in Sydney there is a 2015 Vivente on the bay at the moment for $900 if they are a size small it looks like a good deal.
Old 02-11-18, 05:59 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,590 Times in 3,780 Posts
OP appears to be from Sydney.