Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Carbon vs. Aluminum

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-20, 08:18 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
I'm glad I found this thread. I was really interested in something like the Topstone Carbon or something like the carbon GT Grade with its flexible stays. I'm wondering if I might be better off $$ wise to buy an aluminum frame and add a carbon seatpost and bars? I'm thinking of doing multi day century gravel rides, not quite backpacking but with some clothes.

Last edited by GrainBrain; 03-03-20 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-03-20, 09:21 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3237 Post(s)
Liked 2,082 Times in 1,180 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
I'm glad I found this thread. I was really interested in something like the Topstone Carbon or something like the carbon GT Grade with its flexible stays. I'm wondering if I might be better off $$ wise to buy an aluminum frame and add a carbon seatpost and bars? I'm thinking of doing multi day century gravel rides, not quite backpacking but with some clothes.
Skip the carbon post and bar, go to 45mm tubeless tires at 30-40 psi. Topstone aluminum will fit that tire and the rims are ready to go. Better traction as well.
Old 03-03-20, 09:25 PM
Lindarets

Bikes: J.Guillem Atalaya Gravel, Orient All-Road, & Tomir mountain

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
Short answer: Yes.
Longer answer:
  • Spending time getting tire pressure dialed in is a huge factor- maybe set some money aside for a digital pressure gage and play with the recommendations in the ENVE and Silca pressure calculators. Run tubeless tires for (if nothing else) the ability to confidently run lower pressures.
  • Most carbon posts will make a difference, but compliance-oriented posts from Cannondale, Canyon, Rose, Syntace, and Ritchey will make more of a difference. I found a Cannondale SAVE post for an aluminum hardtail at one point and it was amazing. The Syntace Hiflex I have moved from bike to bike is a less dramatic improvement.
  • Bars are similar- I can't speak to many, but the ENVE G-Series gravel bar has a fantastic shape and a measure of built-in compliance.
  • Don't rule out carbon- bikes like Giant's Revolt come in carbon at some pretty attractive price points and may come with comfort-oriented bars and seatposts for less than adding them separately. $300-500 worth of bars & seatpost could make the aluminum bike just as expensive as a carbon one that comes stock with those parts- and you might miss out on things like tubeless tires and hydraulic brakes. Carbon bars/posts are a lot cheaper to the OEM than at retail.
Out of curiosity, can anyone suggest other noticeably comfortable drop bars? Either gravel- or road-oriented, I'm just curious.
Old 03-15-20, 04:05 PM
preetpaul

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Steve B.
An interesting article on the Cervélo website and I think they only make carbon bikes ?. The pie chart shows how small a portion of overall rider comfort is from the vertical compliance of a frame. I’ve seen this before, that so many other factors - tire size and psi, wheel design, saddle used, bar tape, shorts, etc.... are as, or more important than the frame.

Can we feel the difference between materials ?, yes and that affects what we like to ride. I read somewhere that carbon is really good at damping shock transmitted thru a frame. Aluminum less so. Steel and titanium are in between those two. But the feel is very subjective.
thanks for posting this, v informative. researching a frame for gravel right now and didn't think of how many other components are truly involved.