Go Back  Bike Forums > News & Suggestions > Forum Suggestions & User Assistance
Reload this Page >

Annoying COOKIES pop-up won't take any choice for an answer, keeps pestering.

Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Old 08-28-20, 01:05 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 856 Posts

Discuss.
Old 08-28-20, 01:15 PM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 467 Times in 215 Posts
Based on this and your other thread about PDFs, I think it's time for a new computer.

Either that, or a complete clean out and updating of your operating system.

A pop up about cookies is going to be related to your web browser.

Which one(s) are you using?
Old 08-28-20, 01:22 PM
PilotFishBob 
So it goes.

Bikes: A few. Quite a few.

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 261 Posts
Go to your browser settings and wipe the cache for the website. That usually fixes these types of issues.
Likes For PilotFishBob:
Old 08-28-20, 01:24 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Using Firefox on Windows 10, it's a 7-yr-old HP laptop.
The PDF problem from last week had only to do with the printer's setup (fixed already using just the printer keypad).

So I'm just wondering why the pop-up suddenly (last two weeks?) has to ask every time whether I want "more information" or want to "opt out" (with a third choice being to just close the pop-up by clicking on the X icon).
I should mention that I am seeing more of this on other sites these days, seems like a disclaimer of sorts(?) permitting the site to due such and such with user data.

Last edited by dddd; 08-28-20 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08-28-20, 01:27 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Originally Posted by PilotFishBob
Go to your browser settings and wipe the cache for the website. That usually fixes these types of issues.
I'm not sure how to "wipe the cache for the website".

I believe that my browser might do that every time that I close the browser, since the history, cookies, etc. all goes away.
Old 08-28-20, 01:49 PM
PilotFishBob 
So it goes.

Bikes: A few. Quite a few.

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 261 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
I'm not sure how to "wipe the cache for the website".

I believe that my browser might do that every time that I close the browser, since the history, cookies, etc. all goes away.
Firefox isn't very tidy, I've had it happen out of the blue on different websites including this one - incredibly annoying. Go to edit/preferences or click on the box with three lines and click preferences, Cookies and Site Data / Manage Data, in the search bar type bikeforums and click 'remove all shown' and Save Changes. Close Firefox and restart. That should clear out the garbage. If not it must be something else.
Old 08-28-20, 02:07 PM
brian3069

Bikes: Raleigh Supercourse

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 101 Posts
I'd try refreshing the browser. Click on the drop down menu at the top right of your screen. Click help. Click troubleshooting. Click refresh Firefox. You will have to reinstall any add-ons you're using.
Old 08-28-20, 06:38 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
this site doesn't have popups, afaik. You have some malware.

I'm going to move this to user assistance. If you want better help, you can post a screen shot of the pop up

moved to user assistance from C&V
Old 08-28-20, 07:12 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Originally Posted by PilotFishBob
Firefox isn't very tidy, I've had it happen out of the blue on different websites including this one - incredibly annoying. Go to edit/preferences or click on the box with three lines and click preferences, Cookies and Site Data / Manage Data, in the search bar type bikeforums and click 'remove all shown' and Save Changes. Close Firefox and restart. That should clear out the garbage. If not it must be something else.
I found that I couldn't do any of those things, the three lined button doesn't have a "preferences" tab or anything about cookies.
Old 08-28-20, 07:14 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Originally Posted by unterhausen
this site doesn't have popups, afaik. You have some malware.

I'm going to move this to user assistance. If you want better help, you can post a screen shot of the pop up

moved to user assistance from C&V

Thanks for the advice, how does one post a screen shot? (I've never done anything having to do with screen shot)
Old 08-28-20, 07:49 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
have you ever posted a picture here?

when the popup is active, open the windows snipping tool and select an area of your screen that includes the popup. Save it as an image, jpg or png work well. Then make a new post in this thread, click on the upload button on the toolbar across the top of the quick replay edit box. Select from device and then select your file. Then select "upload" That should do it.
Old 08-28-20, 10:08 PM
Mackers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 140 Posts
If your browser is configured to clean out cookies on exit, the cookies requester on this and any other sites will reappear next time you visit because the cookie that contains your cookie-preferences has been cleaned out It's the price you pay for a little more privacy.
Likes For Mackers:
Old 08-31-20, 08:49 AM
IBJoel
Administrator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 146 Posts
Are you visiting BikeForums in Private Browsing on FireFox? You will likely keep getting it if you're using a browsing method that wipes cache/cookies.

Also try this on the page where you're getting the banner: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipe...ass_your_cache