Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your vintage Raleigh!!!!!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your vintage Raleigh!!!!!

Old 09-19-20, 02:06 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,639 Times in 2,602 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
Oooh. Super Tourer. One of my grail bikes. Raleigh's only real attempt to make a 531 upright-bar bike after the 1950's, with a fantastic color scheme to match.

-Kurt
Stick some upright bars and a B.66 on an early 70s Competition, and you'll essentially have the same bike (though in black, of course)!
Old 09-19-20, 05:09 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Stick some upright bars and a B.66 on an early 70s Competition, and you'll essentially have the same bike (though in black, of course)!
Yep, but without the pizzazz of that lime green and the Stronglight crankset...

-Kurt

Old 09-19-20, 08:04 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Originally Posted by stevel610

1985 Team USA. 52/42 with a 14-30 freewheel. I have an upgraded 27" wheelset with sealed bearings which I'll be putting on this weekend.
With the new wheels: Quanta sealed bearing cartridge hubs to 36 hole Sun CR18 rims. The hubs are amazingly smooth when new and the (machine built) wheels only took a few minutes to tension. Removing the front and rear reflector provide enough room for the 1 1/4 inch tires.

Also added the Brooks Conquest for now. The seat post is a little short so the Conquest adds an inch or so to the saddle height.

As things move along I will be cleaning it up a bit.

Likes For stevel610:
Old 09-19-20, 10:42 PM
kkraoj

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow there are some really nice bikes in here and I thought Raleigh's were rare.
Old 09-19-20, 11:28 PM
Pcampeau

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
The cool fall weather has arrived, giving me more opportunities to wear some of my old wool jerseys!
For this morning's ride with buddies, I had the pleasure of riding my '74 International and wearing a similar vintage Raleigh jersey with embroidered logo and front pockets (just like in the catalog)....

sadly, these aren't pics from today's ride. Too bad, because it really was sunny and gorgeous!

Steve in Peoria
I’ve got to find a jersey like yours. That is nice!
Old 09-19-20, 11:32 PM
Pcampeau

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Originally Posted by sheddle
time to join the club. Super Tourer, 1974 according to the serial.

Need to get some fenders to really make this a great errand bike, but I love this weird thing so far.
This is a beautiful example. Is it missing some paint on the stays where a rack was attached or is that tape residue? Either way the rest of the paint is great shape.
Old 09-20-20, 12:38 AM
OldBike876

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
It seems that my "1 project at a time" rule bends a bit. The '80 (in brown) is on the block, but the '49 (in green) was too good to pass up. At least in have the winter project all settled early this year.
Old 09-20-20, 09:46 AM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
Originally Posted by Pcampeau
This is a beautiful example. Is it missing some paint on the stays where a rack was attached or is that tape residue? Either way the rest of the paint is great shape.
Well, it's no longer in great shape.

Took the bike to a local shop to get the seatpost greased, and a new set of clinchers, and it came back like this. Both crimps are symmetrical (two identical dents with a "ridge" between them), and almost have to be from a work stand.

The shop is adament that the bike was like this when I dropped it off, but I can't think of anything I would have done that could have caused this. I don't have a workstand in my apartment, and unless I'm going crazy, the picture from yesterday doesn't show any sign of crimping.

I did transport the bike at some point, but it was laid down in the car, not put in a rack.

I believe these crimps can be fixed with frame blocks, and the middle of the seatpost is a low risk area, but god damn. I'd suspect the shop more, but it's maybe the Seattle shop with the best reputation, and one I've worked with well many times over the last few years. Is there anything other than a workstand which could have caused this symmetrical seat tube crimping?

​​​​​

Last edited by sheddle; 09-20-20 at 10:02 AM.
Old 09-20-20, 10:38 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
The shop is adament that the bike was like this when I dropped it off​​​​​
Given that there's no paint loss, definitely some kind of a stand clamp that was padded enough not to mar the paint when crimping it. This would have required a hell of a lot of force. You would know if you did this.

At any rate, oust the name of the shop please - start a new thread, preferably. You already have before-and-after proof.

It's possible with a long enough seatpost to rectify some of that by inserting the seatpost in the hole and banging the hell out of it from the inside out. Both the mechanic and the frame.

-Kurt

Old 09-20-20, 10:45 AM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
I don't want to out the name of the shop, because it's a shop I've dealt with for years for vintage bikes, enough to know that they would not be outright dishonest. I suspect someone made a mistake and didn't realize it. I've made enough mistakes in my life to know that your memory can sometimes just be outright wrong. (tbh, anyone in Seattle could probably guess the shop just by my description)

I have a statement and photographs from the seller that the seat tube was not damaged when the bike was sold two days ago (the last possibility I was keeping in mind was that I somehow missed the frame damage and my prior photo was somehow perfectly lit to hid the crimping). I'm going to go to a frame shop tomorrow and get a quote for repairs, and hopefully get a statement that this was very likely caused by a repair clamp. Ideally I'd like to get the repair costs covered, but it's not like I have a video of someone in the shop wrenching down on the seat tube or anything.

E) just a quick question: would clamping the frame without the seat tube in place potentially make it much easier to crimp? Just wondering because the main reason I took the bike in was to get the post greased.

Last edited by sheddle; 09-20-20 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-20-20, 12:36 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1826 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,573 Posts
Originally Posted by Pcampeau
I’ve got to find a jersey like yours. That is nice!
It's a neat jersey, if only for the front pockets and embroidered logo.
For me, I like that it is the jersey shown in the 1976(?) Raleigh catalog (here in the USA) on the page for the Raleigh International....

The only thing I don't like about my jersey is that the bands at the end of the sleeve are tiny. Perhaps it was washed incorrectly in the past? In any case, they fit tightly around my arms, but the rest of the jersey is probably a bit too large for me.
For reference, here are the dimensions when I lay the jersey flat on the floor:
19" across the chest
29.5" from top of collar to bottom of the jersey
3.5" across the band at the end of the sleeve (7" circumference)
weight 425 grams (quite heavy even compared to my other vintage wool or wool blend jerseys). Not a jersey to be worn on a warm day!

Steve in Peoria
Old 09-20-20, 01:29 PM
Pcampeau

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
It's a neat jersey, if only for the front pockets and embroidered logo.
For me, I like that it is the jersey shown in the 1976(?) Raleigh catalog (here in the USA) on the page for the Raleigh International....

The only thing I don't like about my jersey is that the bands at the end of the sleeve are tiny. Perhaps it was washed incorrectly in the past? In any case, they fit tightly around my arms, but the rest of the jersey is probably a bit too large for me.
For reference, here are the dimensions when I lay the jersey flat on the floor:
19" across the chest
29.5" from top of collar to bottom of the jersey
3.5" across the band at the end of the sleeve (7" circumference)
weight 425 grams (quite heavy even compared to my other vintage wool or wool blend jerseys). Not a jersey to be worn on a warm day!

Steve in Peoria
Thanks steelbikeguy, I’ll be looking for one. It looks like the perfect thing for a Minnesota fall season.
Old 09-20-20, 04:27 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Yeah, a frame pump and replacement fenders are next on the list. That and some decent brake calipers, hah.

It's a bit off catalog spec because I thought the 1974 came with the mattress saddle, but this one has the B66. Either someone replaced it, or it was changed before the end of the year. It's definitely a 74 though, I think that was the only one with the top tube pump mounts.

Hubs are different too- Maillard 700, rather than the Normandy Competition. Seem to be laced to the correct rims though. Let me know if I'm talking BS, but wasn't it less unusual for bikes to go off catalog spec back then? IE swapping Altenburger brakes for Weinmann if there weren't enough Weinmann calipers to go around, etc
I replaced the crappy original Weimann brake calipers as well because they had almost zero stopping power. Replaced them with Tektro R539s and they look good.
Mine is a '74 as well, and it also has Maillard 700 hubs. I saved them for a new wheel build later, but because the original rims/spokes not usable I had to replace they entire wheel with modern english threaded hubs on a pre-built wheel. When I have money later I'll have someone build wheels around those Maillards.
It also had the mattress saddle, but that was the first thing I tossed in the garbage.

Well, it's no longer in great shape.

Took the bike to a local shop to get the seatpost greased, and a new set of clinchers, and it came back like this. Both crimps are symmetrical (two identical dents with a "ridge" between them), and almost have to be from a work stand.

The shop is adament that the bike was like this when I dropped it off, but I can't think of anything I would have done that could have caused this. I don't have a workstand in my apartment, and unless I'm going crazy, the picture from yesterday doesn't show any sign of crimping.

I did transport the bike at some point, but it was laid down in the car, not put in a rack.

I believe these crimps can be fixed with frame blocks, and the middle of the seatpost is a low risk area, but god damn. I'd suspect the shop more, but it's maybe the Seattle shop with the best reputation, and one I've worked with well many times over the last few years. Is there anything other than a workstand which could have caused this symmetrical seat tube crimping?

​​​​​
Holy crap dude. I would be unreservedly livid. I hope you can get that sorted.
Old 09-22-20, 01:18 PM
PilotFishBob 
So it goes.

Bikes: A few. Quite a few.

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 261 Posts
Out with the '70 Competition this morning. The only lady I happened upon wasn't particularly chatty and had poor taste in bikes.

Likes For PilotFishBob:
Old 09-22-20, 01:53 PM
tpadul 

Bikes: 1984 Sekai 5000 Superbe, 1987 Raleigh Seneca Mountain Tour, 1984 Schwinn World Sport, 1978 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2021 Handsome She Devil, Mystery Vintage purple road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 61 Posts
time to join the club. Super Tourer, 1974 according to the serial.

Need to get some fenders to really make this a great errand bike, but I love this weird thing so far.
Didn't you just post about this bike getting damaged at the LBS the other day? These photos don't show any damage at all and you posted these on 9/18/2020 so have you shown them these photos as proof that the bike was not damaged when you brought it in for service??

Last edited by tpadul; 09-22-20 at 01:58 PM.
Old 09-23-20, 08:40 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by kkraoj
Wow there are some really nice bikes in here and I thought Raleigh's were rare.
They are not rare. Raleigh was the world's biggest bike maker for many decades. The company exported bikes all around the planet.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 09-23-20, 09:51 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
They are not rare. Raleigh was the world's biggest bike maker for many decades. The company exported bikes all around the planet.
Right on.
Raleighs are about as rare as pennies, although plenty of sellers seem to believe otherwise.

Fun recent observation - every time I take my Raleigh out for a spin, I see a great blue heron. Wish I had a better compact camera.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 09-23-20, 12:05 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
I Have a Few of These...

1949 Clubman - "Patina Preservation Project", 3-speed 700c conversion:

Super-Course custom built 5-speed IGH/700c conversion:

DL-1 Restoration:

And in the queue for this winter is a 1986 Raleigh Portage touring project.

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Old 09-23-20, 03:21 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked 1,257 Times in 601 Posts
I know some don't consider these proper Raleighs but I just snagged this '85 Competition a few days ago. For once I wasn't a day late and a dollar short. Now I need to get busy on my '85 Prestige and then get this one back in shape.

Old 09-23-20, 03:33 PM
autostrada048

Bikes: Gitane Grand Sport De Luxe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I think my frame is a Raleigh but who knows. Can someone help me figure out what my bike is?

THIS is a link to my thread and a photo of the frame below. I was told Gugie might know, Is he still on here?

Old 09-23-20, 04:29 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

My retro-modded 1971 Raleigh Super Course, now with a 2x8 drivetrain and dynamo lights.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Likes For noglider:
Old 09-23-20, 04:39 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 976 Posts
My retro-modded 1971 Raleigh Super Course, now with a 2x8 drivetrain and dynamo lights.

Jolly good! It looks great, Tom. Is it fully together now? Are you loving it up?

Old 09-23-20, 04:42 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by ascherer
Jolly good! It looks great, Tom. Is it fully together now? Are you loving it up?
Yes it rides great though it's quite heavy with all the accessories and the steel cranks. The tires are not ideal for gravel riding, but that won't stop me, since my slick 28mm tires don't stop me. The 2x8 drivetrain is better than I expected. And now I have two headlights and maybe two taillights, so I'll be ready for night riding on country roads.

Old 09-23-20, 07:07 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Bikes: 71 International 72 Super Course 83 Gap

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 310 Posts
Yes it rides great though it's quite heavy with all the accessories and the steel cranks. The tires are not ideal for gravel riding, but that won't stop me, since my slick 28mm tires don't stop me. The 2x8 drivetrain is better than I expected. And now I have two headlights and maybe two taillights, so I'll be ready for night riding on country roads.
That thing is business time! Seems like it would be more difficult to find a steel crank than an aluminum one! Are you going for bullet-proof?
Old 09-23-20, 07:10 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

I misspoke. The arms are aluminum but the rings are steel. Still heavy. I got them cheap and they work great.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.