Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Hoping for some tire advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-20, 02:14 PM
Dilldog
Yeah Dude

Bikes: 2020 Giant Escape

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hoping for some tire advice

Sorry title should say "tire" rather than "time", cant seem to correct that, anyway...
I have a Giant Escape 3 and I'm just looking to expand its capabilities a touch. There are tons of dirt or gravel trails around here that are well traveled so there's no need for a serious dirt bike or tire, but the smooth commuter tires on the bike now are not up to the task of even compacted dirt. So I'm looking for a mellow to moderate gravel tire, im currently running 700c 38s. Decent wear is a plus, but I'm not opposed to swapping tires when I'll be riding just pavement. Also I'm hoping to stay around $50 a tire.
thanks!

Last edited by Dilldog; 02-02-20 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-02-20, 04:26 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,616 Times in 2,120 Posts
I fixed the title for you.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 02-02-20, 04:35 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,049 Times in 1,171 Posts
I’m very happy with the tires that came on my Topstone - WTB Riddler TCS. The OEM size is 37mm and they work very well, though I also own a pair of the same tire in 45mm. Tubeless ready as well. My shop sold them to me for $45, but I think the price is closer to $50
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 02-02-20, 07:02 PM
Lindarets

Bikes: J.Guillem Atalaya Gravel, Orient All-Road, & Tomir mountain

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
I love the Vittoria Terreno dry- not the best mud tire but sheds it quickly and is smooth & fast rolling on the road with a durable casing. The Terrene Elwood has a little more rubber and a slightly lighter casing. They ride similarly- the Elwood will be better if you tend to wear out tires before cutting; the Terreno Dry is great if you live somewhere with sharper rocks and tend to get cuts.
Likes For Lindarets:
Old 02-03-20, 09:44 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Dilldog
Sorry title should say "tire" rather than "time", cant seem to correct that, anyway...
I have a Giant Escape 3 and I'm just looking to expand its capabilities a touch. There are tons of dirt or gravel trails around here that are well traveled so there's no need for a serious dirt bike or tire, but the smooth commuter tires on the bike now are not up to the task of even compacted dirt. So I'm looking for a mellow to moderate gravel tire, im currently running 700c 38s. Decent wear is a plus, but I'm not opposed to swapping tires when I'll be riding just pavement. Also I'm hoping to stay around $50 a tire.
thanks!
I'm surprised the 38s currently on there are not working to be honest. Something like a 40c Terreno Dry, Zero, or Specialized Pathfinder would do the trick.
Likes For shoota:
Old 02-03-20, 07:13 PM
Dilldog
Yeah Dude

Bikes: 2020 Giant Escape

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm surprised the 38s currently on there are not working to be honest. Something like a 40c Terreno Dry, Zero, or Specialized Pathfinder would do the trick.
The issue I have is the tires have a very broad flat patch in the center and not much for shoulder lugs. This makes me feel unstable. It may be more mental than anything ( I am not a super experienced cyclist) but I would feel better with something that has a more broken up center section and deeper shoulder lugs.
Old 02-04-20, 08:51 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
The issue I have is the tires have a very broad flat patch in the center and not much for shoulder lugs. This makes me feel unstable. It may be more mental than anything ( I am not a super experienced cyclist) but I would feel better with something that has a more broken up center section and deeper shoulder lugs.
There's nothing wrong with that. Whatever makes you enjoy the ride. There are plenty of tires out there that will satisfy your requirements. Let us know what you settle on.
Likes For shoota:
Old 02-05-20, 07:53 PM
Emilio700

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 20 Posts
Recommendation is to go as large as your frame/fork will accept and still have at least 5mm clearance on each side. Volume allows a better compromise between grip, rolling resistance and comfort. Smaller tires only provide low rolling resistance on smooth hardpack but compromise everything else. The bigger the tire, the less important actual tread pattern is. I run 40c Maxxis Re-Fuse at around 35psi. Not rocket fast on pavement but cushy, grippy and low rolling resistance n dirt. If a file tread freaks you out, at least try a slick or near slick center section with short tread blocks on the side.

Tall treads suck on hardpack and loose stuff. They just flex and squirm. Tall treads are for soft dirt. For hardpack you want short, wide tread blocks or a pure file tread. Again, volume is your friend.
Likes For Emilio700:
Old 02-08-20, 05:22 PM
ericzamora
junior

Bikes: 2020 Surly ECR / 2018 Norco Search XR steel gravel bike with GRX / 1983 Bianchi Campione D'Italia / Gary Fisher Wingra / Motobecane Nomade mixte (daughter's)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
I upped my Gary Fisher hybrid's 28c tires to WTB Riddler 37 TCS, and they worked great. The Riddlers get mostly positive reviews.

Then I bought a gravel bike. It came with Clement MSO 40s. (Clement is now Donnelly). They also get great reviews.

eric/fresno, ca.
Likes For ericzamora:
Old 02-09-20, 12:07 AM
Bingod

Bikes: Giant Anyroad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts

Check out the new WTB Raddlers,
Likes For Bingod:
Old 02-09-20, 12:14 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
I’m very happy with the tires that came on my Topstone - WTB Riddler TCS. The OEM size is 37mm and they work very well, though I also own a pair of the same tire in 45mm. Tubeless ready as well. My shop sold them to me for $45, but I think the price is closer to $50
Great gravel (and dry CX) tires.
Likes For caloso: