Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

So, looks like my commute is increasing to 15 miles each way

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

So, looks like my commute is increasing to 15 miles each way

Old 05-29-17, 10:33 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by rec
Hmm, never heard of this "leaning forward causes sweating" theory, wow, amazing. Running and walking is upright, doesn't put weight on the hands, so no sweating during those activities, too? Recumbent bike riders must be bone dry no matter the effort?
Neither of those activities involve sitting on an upright and magical dutch bike.
Likes For mcours2006:
Old 05-29-17, 10:37 AM
rec

Bikes: allez, p21, raleigh sscx, rockhopper, sycip, centurion

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Neither of those activities involve sitting on an upright and magical dutch bike.
haha yes.
Likes For rec:
Old 05-29-17, 11:26 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by rec
Hmm, never heard of this "leaning forward causes sweating" theory, wow, amazing. Running and walking is upright, doesn't put weight on the hands, so no sweating during those activities, too? Recumbent bike riders must be bone dry no matter the effort?
I often commute about 10 kilometres on flat land. My metabolism is such I sweat more than most people.

If I'm taking it slow, say below 25 km/h, I find that I do sweat less when riding more upright. My guess is the wind does more cooling, while at speeds below 25 km/h it doesn't increase drag as much.

The longer the distance, the more I prefer a more leaned, "faster" posture (and a road bike), while for shorter distances, especially in stop and go city traffic, I prefer a more upright bicycle for both better view over the traffic, and slightly less sweating.

Most distances in my city are under 5 km one way and it's flat, so upright, single speed bicycles have always been popular and widely used - I'd say they are the most sensible option in terms of price, practicality and ease of maintenance.
Old 05-29-17, 12:03 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Saturday it was 90F and 80% humidity. I was sweating from laying in a hammock under a shade tarp. Rode the bike to get some lunch, came back, started to get in the shower, and out of curiosity, grabbed the scrubbie and soap, and lathered up quite well just from the sweat still dripping off of me.

Yes, I completely started over in the shower. Not that it mattered much as I started sweating again when I went out to take the hammock down.
Likes For KD5NRH:
Old 05-29-17, 12:26 PM
mcours2006

Originally Posted by KD5NRH
grabbed the scrubbie and soap, and lathered up quite well just from the sweat still dripping off of me.
Ugh!
Old 05-29-17, 12:41 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,449 Times in 1,429 Posts
I think it's not that the upright position eliminates sweating. I think his theory is that upright riding discourages you from pedaling hard enough to sweat. But I'm just guessing.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-29-17, 01:17 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I think it's not that the upright position eliminates sweating. I think his theory is that upright riding discourages you from pedaling hard enough to sweat. But I'm just guessing.
Like I said, from my experience, making a conscious effort not to ride hard and sweat on the way to work, more upright = (slightly but noticeably) less sweaty.

You could easily test it yourself. With a speedo on a bike, on flat ground, using the same gear ratio and not pushing hard in either riding position.
Old 05-29-17, 02:37 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Right, it's easy to test. Someone else can do it, because it's not that important to me. I ride drop bars because I like them better. People who like upright bars should ride those. I manage my sweat well enough, and I any advice I have for others might not work. I'm a low sweating person most of the time. It means my problem is that I have to make sure not to get too hot.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 05-31-17, 03:46 AM
Bryan88

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Skimmed through all the posts so apologies if this has been mentioned already. Is there a public swimming pool near work? That way you stop there for a shower. I know logistically its a bit more difficult, but it could be worth considering. In SA the entrance fees to pools are pretty cheap.
Old 05-31-17, 06:03 AM
mcours2006

Originally Posted by Bryan88
Skimmed through all the posts so apologies if this has been mentioned already. Is there a public swimming pool near work? That way you stop there for a shower. I know logistically its a bit more difficult, but it could be worth considering. In SA the entrance fees to pools are pretty cheap.
Good suggestion. Around here community center change rooms often have showers that no one uses.
Old 06-02-17, 01:14 PM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
To add a datapoint. We just got back from lunch. 4 miles there and 4 back. 86f, 44% humidity, in full direct sun the entire way except for one tree. We averaged 10.1 mph for the trip but were often riding about 12 MPH. I was wearing jeans and a short sleeve polo. No sweat either way.
Old 06-02-17, 02:48 PM
mcours2006

Likes For mcours2006:
Old 06-02-17, 07:36 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by CrankyOne
Wed evening we rode 9.2 miles from Rosemary Beach FL to Seaside Fl for dinner and then 9.2 miles back. We were all riding Gazelle Omafiets and all were on bikeway or MUP the entire way. When we left it was 86f, 87% R humidity. We averaged 11 MPH including stops but there were only 2 stops. None of us were sweating during the ride or after we arrived. I was wearing long linen pants and a long sleeve white linen shirt with sleeves down.

My wife and the couple with us (her cousin and husband) are Swedish but I'm American of Scottish descent so that rules that out.

At some point temp/humidity would reach a point that would have caused me to sweat. We were all OK @ 86f/87% though.
How much do you weigh?

I can believe this if you have a build that is mostly skin and bones, however if you have an abundance of soft tissue this isn't possible.

In Shanghai many people ride upright bikes, most of them are rental bikes, in worse weather conditions than you describe, (and don't sweat very much) however almost none of them go farther than 3km.
Likes For SHBR:
Old 06-08-17, 11:23 AM
CrankyOne

Originally Posted by SHBR
How much do you weigh?

I can believe this if you have a build that is mostly skin and bones, however if you have an abundance of soft tissue this isn't possible.

In Shanghai many people ride upright bikes, most of them are rental bikes, in worse weather conditions than you describe, (and don't sweat very much) however almost none of them go farther than 3km.
Good point about weight. I'm 5'11" and 174 lbs. Slightly overweight according to my doc but not by much. He says he'd like me to be about 160-165.

There are genetic bits that play a role in sweating and I believe that Asians do also tend to sweat less than average. A friend from Turkey once told me that Turks sweat more than average. I'd done some quick searches about this a bit ago but didn't find much.
Old 06-08-17, 11:57 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Good point about weight. I'm 5'11" and 174 lbs. Slightly overweight according to my doc but not by much. He says he'd like me to be about 160-165.

There are genetic bits that play a role in sweating and I believe that Asians do also tend to sweat less than average. A friend from Turkey once told me that Turks sweat more than average. I'd done some quick searches about this a bit ago but didn't find much.
Damn, that makes me sad because I'm 5'11 and 215, and have been trying for years just to get under 190. I got close a few years ago but then it crept back up to my current 215 weight.
Likes For PatrickGSR94:
Old 06-08-17, 12:30 PM
mcours2006

Are we going with the theory that 'heavier' people tend to sweat more? I suppose there may be some credence to that idea. Something to do with surface area to volume and the dissipation of heat.

Well, I'm 5'9" and 145 and I am a moderate perspirator.
Old 06-08-17, 11:23 PM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
To add a datapoint. We just got back from lunch. 4 miles there and 4 back. 86f, 44% humidity, in full direct sun the entire way except for one tree. We averaged 10.1 mph for the trip but were often riding about 12 MPH. I was wearing jeans and a short sleeve polo. No sweat either way.
You are very lucky then. I think that in 86° weather, riding a bike 4 miles in jeans would have most people sweating. Maybe you are a freak of nature or something?
Likes For TenSpeedV2:
Old 06-09-17, 09:05 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
You are very lucky then. I think that in 86° weather, riding a bike 4 miles in jeans would have most people sweating. Maybe you are a freak of nature or something?
The lower humidity helps, but still, I've ridden to lunch in jeans and with just 1 mile there and 1 mile back I'm just starting to sweat when I get back to the office. I usually turn on my fan under the desk for a bit as soon as I get back.

My grocery trips are about 4 miles there and back, and I'm always drenched in the summer.
Likes For PatrickGSR94:
Old 06-09-17, 09:45 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
I've gotten beyond caring if I sweat a little

You could bring a change of clothes with you (or leave them in the office when you have a chance).

Then when you get into the office, do a pit-scrub, and wipe down with a moist rag, then change.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 06-10-17, 06:10 AM
CrankyOne

I think I admitted above to my (and most Dutch, Danes, Finns, Swedes, and Norhoochans in general, Scots, and a few others) being unsweating freaks of nature. :-)

Some people do sweat more or less than others doing the exact same thing in the exact same conditions so there is a bit of that variability. I do though think that most people would not have sweated any more than me if they were doing the same thing in the same way—five of us all riding to lunch together on the same bikes at the same speed in the same 86f sunny weather. However if one person chose to wear a helmet then they would likely have sweated quite a bit more. Or if someone had chosen to ride a hybrid then they'd likely have sweated more. Or maybe someone rode 17 MPH instead of 13?

So two of us arrive with little or no sweat to be greeted by our sweaty friend who's already sitting there enjoying a beer while another pulls off their sweaty helmet and another gets off their hybrid with a bit of sweat showing on their shirt.

:-)
Old 06-10-17, 08:16 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Its like getting another job .. I lost a paid job when that unpaid one got me there too late in the morning.
Old 06-11-17, 07:59 AM
Bikewolf

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Give yourself extra time to cool your body temperature down BEFORE you change into that suit. <--this is huge! Do you have a private bathroom/office that is available to use? In the summer, I strip down, and just let my body cool down before anything goes on it. This is an ideal time to chug ice water and get breathing under control depending on how fast you rode.
That’s a great tip.

I wonder... if you could wrap a towel around your back to absorb any sweat, and just release / pull off that towel once you arrive?
Old 06-11-17, 08:44 AM
Bikewolf

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
In the near future my commute will be longer too. That is why I’m eying an ebike, or as I say: “A new adventure” :-)
Old 06-11-17, 04:17 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

I thought of this thread today, because I had to be dressed up and ride in the heat. I got a gig substituting a paid church choir position. I get these from time to time. I live in Manhattan, and the church is in Short Hills, NJ. I didn't want to drive my wife's car, and the commuter train schedule didn't fit my need. I rode my bike downtown to the World Trade Center PATH train station. The PATH is a subway system by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, separate from the NYC subway system. I rode that subway from Manhattan to Newark. Then I got back on the bike and rode 10 miles to Short Hills, wearing dress trousers and a wool t-shirt. When I got to the church, I put a dress shirt and tie on over my wool shirt. By then it might have been 75º or 80º. I wasn't sweaty above my waist, and I think my sweaty legs didn't show. I washed my face in the mens room. After the service, it was over 90º, and I kept my dress shirt and tie on. I was thinking the wool t-shirt would keep sweat off my dress shirt, and waddyaknow, it did. I think I should get more of these Smartwool™ t-shirts. They're very thin and comfy, and they don't need daily washing. What they do is magical. Of course, I did the whole trip again in the opposite direction. I was a bit sweaty when I got home, but for one thing, it didn't matter, and for another thing, if it mattered, I didn't look ridiculous.

Old 06-15-17, 11:12 AM
shinybike

Bikes: Custom E-bike

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
e-bike all the way!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.