Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Rx cycling glasses

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Rx cycling glasses

Old 04-05-22, 02:47 PM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrontar
Hey guys, getting back into cycling after many years off the bike. Problem is I’ve developed dry eye syndrome over the last few years. I can’t wear contacts anymore and I’m blind as a bat without my glasses, so I need to get some rx eyewear for cycling.

I tried to get rx lenses made for my oakleys that I had been using, but they can’t get the prescription right with the curvature of the lens, so I need to find some athletic glasses that use a straight lens. My eye doctor doesn’t have anything like that.

Does anyone use anything like that or point me in the right direction?

Thanks.
I ‘ve had my prescription with progressive bifocal sunglass lenses fitted onto various Oakley frames by SportRX.Com. I bought the frames from them, at decent prices, and sent them a copy of my Rx, which cannot be more than 2 years old. They had the glasses back to me in about 2 weeks each time, and I never had any issues.
Old 04-07-22, 04:52 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
I've read decent reviews of Roka. Anyone here tried them?

ROKA EYEWEAR
Old 04-07-22, 04:18 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10234 Post(s)
Liked 5,178 Times in 2,222 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene

ROKA EYEWEAR

Glasses look nice but I think the last time I tried to add RX it was still around 500.00.
Old 04-08-22, 08:52 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
I have regular glasses I use for everything.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Likes For Homebrew01:
Old 04-09-22, 06:49 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,283 Times in 2,941 Posts

ROKA EYEWEAR
I've got two pairs of non-prescription ROKA sunglasses. They're very nice, but maybe a little pricey, especially if you go the custom route.

Last edited by tomato coupe; 04-09-22 at 09:53 PM.
Old 04-10-22, 01:09 PM
Chrontar

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Overdraft
if you’re in the US or Canada you might try zenni.com zenni.ca
they've got something that looks like the sort of wraparound sunnies the cool kidz wear but with your prescription dropped into a flat section in behind. here’s an example plus a non-mirrored version so you can see how they do it. and yes, that price includes the prescription lens. I get all my prescription glasses from zenni

So they send you prescription lenses with the glasses that just slide in? If so that’s an awesome price, definitely worth trying.

If they don’t work out, oh well. Worth spending 50 bucks to try to avoid paying $500.
Old 04-10-22, 01:40 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
If you have dry eyes with your contacts part of the problem is the eyeglasses you wear when riding. Most eyeglasses allow too much air to come up from below the lenses or to come in from the sides. I have found many cheap safety glasses to keep the air and dust out of my eyes. If when riding you can feel air coming up under your sunglasses then buy a new pair.

I recently bought a pair of Tifosi sunglasses as they have a relatively straight across profile and so my Specchio bike mirror works much better to show me what is behind me.
Old 04-11-22, 06:25 AM
TennBent

Bikes: BMC Roadmachine, Obed Baseline

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
So they send you prescription lenses with the glasses that just slide in? If so that’s an awesome price, definitely worth trying.

If they don’t work out, oh well. Worth spending 50 bucks to try to avoid paying $500.
While the idea behind these seems interesting, the reviews on the Zenni website say otherwise. The folks who bought them for cycling say that the glasses just don't work for that application and purchasers overall have had issues with them breaking at the drop of a hat. A couple of folks had even purchased a second pair after the first one broke and the second one didn't last any longer.

Might be better to not waste the $50.

I wear progressive lens bifocals and the simplest, least expensive option has been using a helmet with a detachable magnetic shield on the front. If my prescription changes, I just get new regular glasses and the helmet continues to do it's job, eliminating the need for an expensive pair of prescription sports glasses. There are several on the market. This is an example of what I am talking about.

Likes For TennBent:
Old 04-11-22, 06:40 AM
Bent4life 

Bikes: Bachetta Ti Aero

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
WileyX

Hey guys, getting back into cycling after many years off the bike. Problem is I’ve developed dry eye syndrome over the last few years. I can’t wear contacts anymore and I’m blind as a bat without my glasses, so I need to get some rx eyewear for cycling.

I tried to get rx lenses made for my oakleys that I had been using, but they can’t get the prescription right with the curvature of the lens, so I need to find some athletic glasses that use a straight lens. My eye doctor doesn’t have anything like that.

Thanks.
My eye doctor sells a line of glasses for motorcyclists. WileyX is the brand. It's a semi wrap around the face pair. I bought the transistion lenses so I can wear them day, overcast and night. Not as stylish as some of the Oakleys but very functional
Old 04-11-22, 02:46 PM
Phatman

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 51 Posts

ROKA EYEWEAR
I've got a pair of Roka's as my normal glasses, they're ******g awesome. Definitely the best glasses I've ever worn, I never have to push them up my nose, they stay put like a set of sports/oakley/rudy project sunglasses but they look like...glasses. I wear them riding all the time, no issues, even on a mountain bike, though I do see better with contacts due to the reduction in peripheral vision from a regular eyeglass lens shape.

I'm eager to try a set of their Rx sunglasses, but like the guy below this mentions...they're not cheap. I priced a set out of ~350ish, which is a bit much to do on an impulse buy. Perhaps if I have some FSA money left over at the end of the year.
Old 04-11-22, 03:25 PM
Silver Steve

Bikes: 2106 Giant TCR / 2021 HUFFY Gravel Bike

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 15 Posts
I've always had great results with Zenni sunglasses. I think I have around 5 pairs.
Recently I bought a pair of these on Amazon and had some single vision lenses made for the myopia insert.
All said and done the cost was $110. They're pretty much a knock off 100% Speedcrafts but I'm okay with that for the price.
Old 04-12-22, 09:31 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4363 Post(s)
Liked 3,000 Times in 1,853 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
I have regular glasses I use for everything.
Not sure what you mean by regular glasses? As in, not sunglasses?

I use to ride with my regular glasses. But after a while, spending so much time riding in the sun, I thought, "If I don't get sunglasses, eventually I'll get cataracts".

I invested in Rudy Project sunglasses with prescription inserts. They're not cheap, but they work very well and I'm quite happy with them.
Old 04-13-22, 09:09 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
I should get prescription sunglasses, or "transitions" that darken in sunlight.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 04-14-22, 02:51 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts

Thanks.
I use Rudy Project Rydon's with Rx lenses and have for years. I bet I've had 5 or 6 pairs made over time. The lens is curved, I have a slight astigmatism plus have added a progressive reader area to the lenses. On top of that, they're polarized so yet another chance for distortion. None of them have been a problem and, in fact, have had astounding clarity.

You can get the single vision prescription done straight from Rudy Project. If you add a bifocal/progressive then you'll have to go through your local eye doctor. I'd hate to cycle with a flat lens. The wind turbulence around the edges with not be good for your eyes. The RP Rydon was specifically designed for cycling and other windy applications to protect your eyes.
Old 04-14-22, 05:43 PM
texbazII

Bikes: 2001 Litespeed Ultimate, 1997 Ibis Szazbo, 2021 Lynskey R300/Di2

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
I'd hate to cycle with a flat lens. The wind turbulence around the edges with not be good for your eyes. The RP Rydon was specifically designed for cycling and other windy applications to protect your eyes.
Like I stated in a few treads above, most wrap sunglasses are a base curve #8 and if trying to fill a progressive prescription with that base curve you are going to have problems (distortion in peripheral). Most sunglasses you are referring to as flat,are a base curve #6 or occasionally a #4. But I can tell you, from my own personal experience, your analogy is wrong.

I have never felt any "wind turbulence" on or near my eyes when cycling,wearing my current Maui Jim Red Sands or my Randolf engineering Navigators both are flat frames. The glasses sported by most cyclist that are the full face goggle BS, is all because some Pro rider at one time probably thought it would be cool and now everybody has got to go that style. The Rudy Project Rydon RX docks , look great have a base curve #6 but because the insert is a bit larger than the lens looks like wraps like base curve #8 it affords it a slight shield. But by know means discount "flat frames" because of wind turbulence.

Last edited by texbazII; 04-14-22 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-14-22, 08:50 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by texbazII
Like I stated in a few treads above, most wrap sunglasses are a base curve #8 and if trying to fill a progressive prescription with that base curve you are going to have problems (distortion in peripheral). Most sunglasses you are referring to as flat,are a base curve #6 or occasionally a #4. But I can tell you, from my own personal experience, your analogy is wrong.

I have never felt any "wind turbulence" on or near my eyes when cycling,wearing my current Maui Jim Red Sands or my Randolf engineering Navigators both are flat frames. The glasses sported by most cyclist that are the full face goggle BS, is all because some Pro rider at one time probably thought it would be cool and now everybody has got to go that style. The Rudy Project Rydon RX docks , look great have a base curve #6 but because the insert is a bit larger than the lens looks like wraps like base curve #8 it affords it a slight shield. But by know means discount "flat frames" because of wind turbulence.
my analogy is wrong. Hmmm. Then please explain why my eyes water when I wear flat lenses (as I did for years) and then it stopped when I got the Rydons. They have worked exceptionally well for me and are free of distortion. I’m an engineer and more than a little OCD about this stuff, and they are fine. I have prescription Rydon lenses, not the inserts (which suck, IMO) and that’s what I was describing.

as always in this, it’s a very personal thing (which you should know). And it’s a simple fact of aerodynamics that a flat surface in a wind stream will create more turbulence behind the plane than will a typically curved surface. Whether that bothers your particular eyes or not is going to depend on a lot of things.

my point in this is that there are curved lenses that work very well, it can be done effectively and correctly and, in point of fact, is for great numbers of people. I offered one possible solution that’s worth investigating.

anyhow, good luck to you - preconceptions aside.