Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

extreme heat danger cycling

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

extreme heat danger cycling

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-22, 07:10 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6

Gotta say, when I've let myself ride into objectively horrible weather, I haven't credited myself with "valour", just really bad judgment of the conditions or poor preparation.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-27-22, 08:02 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
interesting website. followed it's link for electrolytes & discovered "chloride". that's a first. don't think I've ever seen a jar of that with the supplements
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Heh. Since most electrolyte supplements start with chlorides of sodium and potassium, I don't worry about the chlorine. If someone's concentrating on chloride instead of Na and K, you're probably in a hospital in very bad shape.

Wait, I shouldn't stop at a swimming pool and take a swig?
Old 05-27-22, 02:51 PM
A350driver

Bikes: Emonda, Speed Concept, A1985 Bianchi and a Stache, Madone all Trek except the Bianchi.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
There’s probably a lot of good electrolytes in the pool, from all the kid’s pee!
Old 05-28-22, 09:21 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Heh. Since most electrolyte supplements start with chlorides of sodium and potassium, I don't worry about the chlorine. If someone's concentrating on chloride instead of Na and K, you're probably in a hospital in very bad shape.
my elderly Dad recently had a high potassium level that he needed treatment/meds to correct. don't know more than that. but was surprised to hear it
Old 05-28-22, 09:23 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by A350driver
There’s probably a lot of good electrolytes in the pool, from all the kid’s pee!
if that were the case, we could all carry a "recycling" fluid system, kinda like a closed loop. who would buy that? what would they pay?
Old 05-29-22, 07:11 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Spider silk is known to have thermal conductivity on par with metals. Having sports wear made out of spider silk would be like wearing a metal heatsink and would literally be cold to the skin. The only problem is that spider silk is hydrophobic by default and would be an issue wicking away sweat, unless those big brained professionals can figure out to make spider silk non-hydrophobic.
Old 05-29-22, 11:31 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
my elderly Dad recently had a high potassium level that he needed treatment/meds to correct. don't know more than that. but was surprised to hear it
Potassium imbalance isn't too unusual; competent cardiac units usually have bags of potassium solution they can add to an IV to raise blood potassium, and the drugs to get blood potassium down are so old they're generic. That said, I haven't heard of chloride imbalance.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 06-01-22, 02:06 AM
MTBbumpcrush

Bikes: Specialize Rockhopper 29

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Good luck for you,be sure to have enough water supply when you are riding in hot condition!
Likes For MTBbumpcrush:
Old 06-03-22, 04:08 PM
Frenzen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
don't forget the sun screen if its super hot, these are some that are made to be sweat resistant.
Old 06-03-22, 07:44 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I had to give up/call the SAG wagon at mile 100 of the HotterNHell last year. Started getting dizzy. Then started puking. Tried to remount and go on but the same thing happened again a few hundred yards down the road. It became a safety issue at that point. After sitting in the pickup with the AC blowing on me until I was dropped at the finish line, I was good as new.
Old 06-03-22, 07:52 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
It was hot at Storming Of Thunder Ridge last month. I managed to finish with some breaks between the last SAG and the finish. I ate the post ride meal, took my shower then headed for home. 2 hours later my legs were still cramping so hard that I had trouble getting out of the car. Actually fell back into the car and had to sit for a bit.
Old 06-04-22, 01:20 PM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 990 Times in 522 Posts
One nice thing about living and riding in Cambodia, just about every little mom and pop has either sugar cane juice or fresh coconuts. a mix of the two will keep you riding for a while.
Old 06-04-22, 02:17 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I would if that’s all that’s available and you really need liquids. Just don’t guzzle it. I’ve consumed water from our pools (not by choice) without any I’ll effect.
Old 06-04-22, 02:20 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
A hot weather treat is getting home from a ride and realizing i have a cooler full of beer from an outing a day or 2 before and now the ice is half melted with 3 or 4 ice cold domestic tallboys of light beer floating around in there .
The beer seems as cold as it can ever get and that is where domestic light beers of all types are really tasty !

Amble to the back porch, turn on some Yacht Rock and survey my small fiefdom and think that "Life is good !"
Even better if you can strip out of the sweaty kit and jump in a pool.
Old 06-04-22, 08:27 PM
koala logs
Banned.

The only times I bonked in 90 to 100F long rides, is I ran out of food or electrolyte drink. On 3 hour rides, I bring two pannier bags. One is an insulated bag for three ice cold water bottles with a little amount of salt (+1 bottle in the downtube), and another half bag full of bite-sized rice cakes with cheese on them (cheese is just for the taste and electrolytes) . I can reach those items easily on the rear rack without stopping. That's how much I consume in 3 hrs! I have worse fuel economy than a Toyota Prius!
Old 06-06-22, 08:11 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
On cycling and hiking trips in the heat, my mantra is "support the sweat." Drink and eat whatever you need to keep up a healthy, salty sweat. That and the wind, as mentioned, is what cools you down. Sweat works better in low relative humidity, so take it easier as RH gets into the 80s and 90s. I have a swamp cooler at home and I can feel how the output decreases on a slightly humid day, say 30% RH.

And pay attention to your brain. If you start feeling dizzy, or someone in your party is getting confused, stop as soon as possible in a cool or wet place, as mentioned.

I cycled across the Midwest on a solo self-supported tour, during a heat wave with temps in the mid 100s. I still managed 80 to 100 miles per day by cycling early and late and taking afternoon breaks in businesses and public libraries. I camped most nights, with temps at sunset in the 90s, only able to sleep because there was a steady breeze. Morning temps were in the 70s, in fog, with 100% RH.
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 06-06-22, 09:13 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,641 Times in 948 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
Know your symptoms.
Then do NOT ignore them.

Extra water, extra electrolytes. (I use trace minerals, but use what works for you)

Don't be afraid to slow down.

Don't be afraid to get Uber, or call anyone for a ride.

No ride is worth dying for.

ALso:
Heat stroke symptoms can manifest hours after you finish a ride, have a shower and think you're in the clear.

KNOW YOUR SYMPTOMS!!
Each persons' is different
This. Or as Harry Callahan said, "You gotta know your limitations."

I've pushed too far both on and off the bike. Fortunately, riding mostly in a metro area there's usually a convenience store within a few miles. When planning a ride I check google maps for convenience stores and fast food places.
Old 06-06-22, 09:24 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
Just read an article about more senior cyclists which stated that as we age, we are not as efficient keeping ourselves cool due to a reduction in sweating. The way to counter that is to up fluid intake - the old drink before you are thirsty. In my 30s I was a lot more cognizant and drank more fluids until last year when I had a heat episode which left me quite dizzy. On one of my most recent longer rides, even though I was carrying two large water bottles with electrolytes, which I drank mostly down by mile 35, I stopped at a mini-mart and was astonished that I could easily drink down a full bottle of energy drink without out even thinking about it. My body needed it even though my brain was saying, you are ok with your two bottles. Ended up going through 4 water bottles and the energy drink and finished the 65 miler feeling much better than I usually do just drinking two bottles for that distance. Mom says, drink your fluids even if your brain says otherwise.

Old 06-06-22, 09:31 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
If the temperature is above ~25 deg C (don't know what that is in caveman units) and I am not very careful about regulating my exertion level, after the ride I will get a nasty headache and usually feel nauseous. I have been experimenting with stopping and quickly drinking a slushy or other ice drink to intentionally give myself an 'ice cream headache' - my theory is I am directly icing my brain to reduce inflammation.
Old 06-06-22, 04:37 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 446 Posts
Wetting your hair and ears helps for a cool-down, just like wearing a hat helps for warming up. Up to half of heat loss is from the head.
Old 06-06-22, 04:47 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
The body is like a leaky car radiator. It will keep you cool as long as you keep putting water in it. If your radiator runs out of coolant, the motor will stop. If you run out of water, your body will start to shut down and the first signs are no sweat, which is an early symptom of heat exhaustion. If you don't replenish, the next stage is heat stroke.

If you feel thirsty, you're already behind and it is hard to catch the body back up, especially if you continue riding. Better to have a continual supply of water going in. My story earlier in this thread was my hard lesson, AND, I knew better and still miscalculated. It's easy to do. Take 50% more than you think you'll need. If it's over 95 degrees, take twice+ what you think you'll need or have re-supply stops planned and don't miss any.
Old 06-06-22, 06:43 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
Here we are in the first week of June and I can see that my riding days for this summer are numbered. I just checked the local forecast and temps all week are going to be well into the 100s (something like 40C?), and probably won't be below 100 through August. Anyway, I can ride early in the morning if I want but it's amazing how fast it gets hot in the desert. The overnight low might be down into the 70s but by 9am it can already be 90* or better. It will probably stay this way until late September. I love it out here about nine months a year. But the 3-4 months of summer are absolutely brutal.
Old 06-06-22, 07:50 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Originally Posted by Fredo76
Wetting your hair and ears helps for a cool-down, just like wearing a hat helps for warming up. Up to half of heat loss is from the head.
I do this too. I also get a haircut before a long ride in hot conditions. Having a short hair helps. But leave a bit more hair at the top for protecting your scalp from sunlight.

Also wet my shirt as well. But what really gets me in hot conditions is poor hydration or inadequate fueling when I didn't bring enough electrolyte water and food on the ride.
Old 06-06-22, 07:54 PM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 246 Posts
I did a 140km ride in August a few years back. Was a blazing hot 36 degrees with 60+% humidity. By about 100km in I was getting dehydrated (salt stains on my shorts, weak, light headed). Fortunately for me a few kilometres later I was caught in a typical summer afternoon downpour, and that gave me enough of a second wind to get home. If the weather had stayed sunny for the duration, I have my doubts I would have been able to finish the ride.
Old 06-07-22, 12:58 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by VegasJen
I love it out here about nine months a year. But the 3-4 months of summer are absolutely brutal.
where are you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.