Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Found a bottle of vodka in a dumpster on a ride, you?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Found a bottle of vodka in a dumpster on a ride, you?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-22, 07:38 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
It has been a fruitful week. I always check out dumpsters, trash piles etc. when I ride by them because I am tall, and my bike is tall, so often I can roll right up beside even the tall style dumpsters and take a peek over the top. Last week I found a really nice chef's knife laying right on top of the trash in a dumpster,Sunday I found a vintage leather suitcase from Australia, a few days ago I got a 1.7 Liter bottle of Luksusowa vodka, half-full out of another dumpster being used to clean out some old person's estate, and today on the way home just laying on the curb I found a battery hold-down that will fit my 85' GMC cargo van and a chrome lug-nut.

What did you score?
So, have you checked the homicide listings looking for missing knife?

A friend picked up a bottle of rum on one ride. ME - NOT A CHANCE. Well, maybe to rinse off that knife!
Likes For kahn:
Old 07-02-22, 07:58 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
It has been a fruitful week. I always check out dumpsters, trash piles etc. when I ride by them because I am tall, and my bike is tall, so often I can roll right up beside even the tall style dumpsters and take a peek over the top.
Interesting. I am also tall and therefore ride a tall bike, but that has nevhas led me to want to look in dumpsters. And that's a blanket lack of desire- when on the bike or off the bike.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 07-02-22, 08:05 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
I wonder if my nice bread knife ended up in a dumpster. I can't find it, and think maybe it accidentally fell in the garbage without noticing somehow.
If you find a Wusthof breadknife, let me know. Replacement cost $120.

I've found a few basic hand tools, and a "slim jim" for opening car doors. Never tried it. Not sure if it would work on modern car doors.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Likes For Homebrew01:
Old 07-02-22, 09:18 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
I wonder if my nice bread knife ended up in a dumpster. I can't find it, and think maybe it accidentally fell in the garbage without noticing somehow.
Ouch. Sorry for your loss. I got one of their chef’s knives for Christmas a few years ago. I was reluctant to use it at first for fear of dropping it.

Your theory could be right. Years ago my receiver remote disappeared. I’m thinking it fell off the coffee table into the waist bin that I keep very close to it for cat hair after a brushing.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-02-22, 09:40 AM
m.c. 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 62 Posts

I've found a few basic hand tools, and a "slim jim" for opening car doors. Never tried it. Not sure if it would work on modern car doors.
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Ouch. Sorry for your loss. I got one of their chef’s knives for Christmas a few years ago. I was reluctant to use it at first for fear of dropping it.

Your theory could be right. Years ago my receiver remote disappeared. I’m thinking it fell off the coffee table into the waist bin that I keep very close to it for cat hair after a brushing.

My wife has left pizza cutters in the pizza box and thrown the box away, this has happened a few times.

I went cheap on my knives, bought German made Henckels on eBay for around $25 each and sharpened them. Also bought a Monarch knife from amazon for $19 that has done very well.
Old 07-02-22, 09:47 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Put the “vodka” bottle in the freezer. You may discover that it’s not vodka at all.

And…although I don’t regularly check out dumpsters and trash heaps…I did pull my “rainy day” bike from a curbside trash heap. Cleaned up and rebuild it and have ridden it for years.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 07-02-22, 10:09 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Huh.

Back when I was drinking, I would pretty much drink anything that had alcohol in it. But I can’t say I ever recall ever drinking dumpster vodka. (I can’t definitively say it never happened, because you know, all the drinking.)
Old 07-02-22, 12:39 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
I’m with ForceD above. How does anyone know it’s really vodka?
I once mistakenly drank this experimental super plastic fluid. It gave me super-powers and I joined the legion of superheroes as the boisterous bouncing boy.
It could just as easily have poisoned and killed me, tho…
Likes For Rage:
Old 07-02-22, 02:34 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Join date 2014.

First post 2022.

That speaks to me.

And trying really hard to be "edgy".
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-02-22, 02:36 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Good find dude ignore the haters. Vodka is vodka
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 07-02-22, 04:26 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Good find dude ignore the haters. Vodka is vodka
Until it’s methyl alcohol, dude.

You can’t fix Larry.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-02-22, 04:50 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts

You can’t fix Larry.
Larry is as Larry does?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-02-22, 05:00 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Larry is as Larry does?
There’s Something About Larry.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-02-22, 06:39 PM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
I wonder if my nice bread knife ended up in a dumpster. I can't find it, and think maybe it accidentally fell in the garbage without noticing somehow.If you find a Wusthof breadknife, let me know. Replacement cost $120.
Last year I got a nice hatchet out of a dumpster. The slim-jims generally quit working on cars made after the 1980s. Often I will find large objects in a dumpster and have to sprint home to get the van to pick them up, so that is my interval training.
Old 07-02-22, 06:49 PM
m.c. 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 62 Posts
Sounds like there are a lot of liquored up blade enthusiasts in your town. I would first ask why someone disposed of a knife or hatchet in a dumpster, presumably tossed in and in plain sight. Then I wouldn't touch it.
Old 07-02-22, 06:52 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Seriously? You routinely look in dumpsters?
This.
I have a job so I do the opposite and try to avoid dumpsters, and dumpster fires
Old 07-02-22, 06:53 PM
beng1
Banned

Originally Posted by caloso
Huh.

Back when I was drinking, I would pretty much drink anything that had alcohol in it. But I can’t say I ever recall ever drinking dumpster vodka. (I can’t definitively say it never happened, because you know, all the drinking.)
Anyone who drinks, can crack open any bottle of booze and tell it's legit by one good huff or taste. Methanol, wood alcohol or rubbing alcohol, does not taste good or the same. There was a bunch of unopened wine with the vodka, but it was in the sun and heat for I don't know how long and that is not friendly to wine, so I left it all. Plus I had about 15 miles including some steep trails and hiking before I got home and the huge vodka bottle was heavy and was not shaped for comfort in the messenger bag. I did once carry a full-sized stainless-steel car-muffler 25-miles in the same bag once though.

A few years ago I got two and a half bottles of Crown Royal out of an abandoned house downtown which had tax-stamps from 1960 on it. I tried it out and it was the best whiskey I ever had. A friend of mine did a shot and he said it was the best whiskey he ever had in his life. It was Crown Royal that was made at the real old original Canadian distilleries, not a corporate factory that pumps it out now like the garbage it is. I gave a bottle and a half to my friend and he drank it in a few days, I tucked the last bottle away for a special occasion.
Old 07-02-22, 08:14 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
Not exactly the same thing, but I ride through residential neighborhoods and people often put things at the curb they are discarding (furniture, children's toys, yard ornaments, etc.). A few times I've driven by later and picked some things up for my own use. Never scored any knives or alcohol, though.
Likes For Random11:
Old 07-02-22, 08:33 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Anyone who drinks, can crack open any bottle of booze and tell it's legit by one good huff or taste. Methanol, wood alcohol or rubbing alcohol, does not taste good or the same. There was a bunch of unopened wine with the vodka, but it was in the sun and heat for I don't know how long and that is not friendly to wine, so I left it all. Plus I had about 15 miles including some steep trails and hiking before I got home and the huge vodka bottle was heavy and was not shaped for comfort in the messenger bag. I did once carry a full-sized stainless-steel car-muffler 25-miles in the same bag once though.

A few years ago I got two and a half bottles of Crown Royal out of an abandoned house downtown which had tax-stamps from 1960 on it. I tried it out and it was the best whiskey I ever had. A friend of mine did a shot and he said it was the best whiskey he ever had in his life. It was Crown Royal that was made at the real old original Canadian distilleries, not a corporate factory that pumps it out now like the garbage it is. I gave a bottle and a half to my friend and he drank it in a few days, I tucked the last bottle away for a special occasion.
did you take a shwig of the vodka?
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 07-03-22, 02:00 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
You can meet a girlfriend while dumpster diving if you don't wear a shirt.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 07-03-22, 02:28 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,059 Times in 1,078 Posts
This place hardly tolerates bicycle counter culture. Home of mamils, racer boys, and get off my lawn folks.

Nonetheless...

I found a functional signal generator once. Worth a few hundred bucks, and useful at that time in my life.

My mom was a child of the depression, and thought nothing of retrieving discarded produce from behind the grocery. Embarrassing for me, but she knew what was safe to eat far better than did the grocery store manager. We lived.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 07-03-22, 03:48 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by downtube42
This place hardly tolerates bicycle counter culture. Home of mamils, racer boys, and get off my lawn folks.

Nonetheless...

I found a functional signal generator once. Worth a few hundred bucks, and useful at that time in my life.

My mom was a child of the depression, and thought nothing of retrieving discarded produce from behind the grocery. Embarrassing for me, but she knew what was safe to eat far better than did the grocery store manager. We lived.
*yawn* As pointed out above, the OP about vodka out of a dumpster really has nothing to do with cycling at all.

That aside, don’t forget about those unlucky souls who bought poisoned Extra Strength Tylenol, off the shelf no less.
Old 07-03-22, 07:35 PM
beng1
Banned

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
did you take a shwig of the vodka?
Yes, I had a shot after my morning ride, and before breakfast. It was surprisingly smooth and had a nice taste. My one grandfather used to make booze out of potatoes, and the other often made applejack, so I felt I was participating in a bit of tradition.

[QUOTE=trailangel] You can meet a girlfriend while dumpster diving if you don't wear a shirt.[QUOTE]

This sort of gold-nugget of is what makes public forums worthwhile, thank-you I will give it a try.

Bonus round; While I was doing a shot this morning, I remembered I had also gotten this Eddie Bauer multi-tool out of the same dumpster as the vodka, it is mint. I put it in the junk-drawer in the kitchen. If it had allen-keys I might have left it in the messenger bag. I only got to look in one dumpster on this morning's ride, it was outside an office that was being remodeled, but there was nothing exciting or small enough for me to carry on the bike. Tomorrow is another day......

Old 07-03-22, 08:42 PM
indyfabz

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-03-22, 08:52 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
Wow, half a bottle of cheap vodka and a $20 multitool ... now I'm really jealous.
Likes For tomato coupe:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.