Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Spoke Wrench for on-bike carry?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-22, 06:32 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 432 Posts

Hi,
I've been reminded by recent thread in 'General' forum, that I need to replace an on-bike carry emergency spoke wrench.
I haven't bought a spoke wrench in years... and generally just default to a Park Tools (which was the one which 'wandered" off recently... LOL)
a Red #2 seems to cover me for most all my wheelsets...
However, now that I need a replacement - on-bike for emergency use - I was thinkin maybe something else which might have an assortment of sizes ??? (for emergency aid for other riders)
Anyone care to recommend something other than Park Tools #2 ? My saddlebag is already quite full, so size matters AND, of course, my inner weightweenie is always buggin me... LOL!
Key is that it works, fits properly and doesn't destroy nipples...
All suggestions appreciated...
Ride On
Yuri
Old 07-10-22, 06:54 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I carry something like this.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 07-11-22, 08:09 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
I have a seat pouch on each bike, so I load each with the Park spoke wrench that fits the bikes' wheel (black or red). Inexpensive, good quality, easy to use. And it's been 5-10 years since I needed a spoke wrench on the road, so it must be working!

(Or I'm over-packed.)
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 07-11-22, 09:29 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Originally Posted by Rolla
I carry something like this.
yeah, was thinking about simlar, but I've seen some which were total crap - perfect for ruining/rounding a nipple...
...was hoping for a specific 'brand' rec... but, yeah I guess I could take a wheel to the LBS and just do a 'check'...
Thx
Yuri
Old 07-11-22, 09:46 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
https://www.parktool.com/en-us/produ...-wrench-sw-7-2
Likes For dedhed:
Old 07-11-22, 10:26 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
Hi,
I've been reminded by recent thread in 'General' forum, that I need to replace an on-bike carry emergency spoke wrench.
I haven't bought a spoke wrench in years... and generally just default to a Park Tools (which was the one which 'wandered" off recently... LOL)
a Red #2 seems to cover me for most all my wheelsets...
However, now that I need a replacement - on-bike for emergency use - I was thinkin maybe something else which might have an assortment of sizes ??? (for emergency aid for other riders)
Anyone care to recommend something other than Park Tools #2 ? My saddlebag is already quite full, so size matters AND, of course, my inner weightweenie is always buggin me... LOL!
Key is that it works, fits properly and doesn't destroy nipples...
All suggestions appreciated...
I just filed a notch in my house key that is the right size for my spoke nipples. I've used it several times and it works a treat.
Old 07-12-22, 01:59 PM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
I just filed a notch in my house key that is the right size for my spoke nipples. I've used it several times and it works a treat.
I'm impressed that it worked. Keys are brass. But of course this is a case of tightening a newly found loose nipple. So brass would certainly get it tight enough to finish a ride provided there's no big jumps (MTB). Or to fit an emergency spoke well enough to limp home.

At least two of my little seat pack multi tools that live in with the spare inner tube and tire levers have notches for the spoke nipples. I'd call out the brands but mine are all at least 18 years old and likely not made any longer. I'm sure there are current small multi tools for cycling with spoke notches.
Old 07-12-22, 02:06 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
I have the older version of that spoke wrench. Very good quality and you have 3 choices that will give you a perfect fit on the spoke nipple. You can also use a bit of black, red, or green paint on each of the openings to make sure you use the right size for the wheel you are truing.
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 07-12-22, 02:13 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Hi,
Yuri,

It strikes me as odd that you want to carry a spoke wrench. Truing a wheel is something that I think of as being done at home base, and not in the field. It implies, to me, installing a new spoke on the road for some catastrophic problem. Or perhaps you are a tourist who might be out for multiple days?

I went across the country and brought a couple of extra spokes, and a spoke wrench that fit them. Never needed them, but I used (and continue to use) 36 spoke wheels, they never go out of true.

All best!

Last edited by BCDrums; 07-12-22 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-12-22, 02:45 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
I always carry FiberFix emergency kevlar spokes (and yes I've used them). Each one comes with one of these. It's about an inch long. But the suggestion of filing a notch in a key is genius.

Old 07-12-22, 03:40 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Originally Posted by BCDrums
Yuri,

It strikes me as odd that you want to carry a spoke wrench. Truing a wheel is something that I think of as being done at home base, and not in the field. it implies, to me, installing a new spoke on the road for some catastrophic problem. Or perhaps you are a tourist who might be out for multiple days?
I went across the country and brought a couple of extra spokes, and a spoke wrench that fit them. Never needed them, but I used (and continue to use) 36 spoke wheels, they never go out of true.
All best!
At times, over the years, I have had spokes 'break' while out riding (even had one break once with bike in the garage). And even on 36x, the wheel can go out of true enough to not work well with the calipers open... old school 36x rims were NOT what we're riding on these days.. LOL!
Recently (about 4 yrs ago) I broke a spoke on a low spoke count wheel (20x rear). I'm not hard on wheels, but sometimes they do break.
the wheel would not revolve thru the open calipers... if I didn't have a spoke wrench, I'd either be walkin or makin the call of shame... either is a desperation option.
I have come across others who have had 'wheel' issues - so figuring having a multi-sized emergency wrench might be handier than just my #2 Park Tools...
...done a few multi-day tours... but not a focus. still, in 58 yrs of riding, there isn;t much which hasn't happened - other than my demise... hopefully today, will not be that day...
Ride On
Yuri
EDIT: if the break is at the hub, I unscrew the broken spoke and toss (into suitable garbage can), if at the nipple and I can;t get the spoke out, it's wrapped around an adjacent pr...
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 07-12-22, 06:00 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 3,412 Times in 1,783 Posts
My Peaty's valve caps have a spoke wrench and a -- wait for it -- core tool.

(Mine aren't in Rasta. It never even occurred to me they could be used as roach clips.)
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 07-12-22, 07:30 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
My Peaty's valve caps have a spoke wrench and a -- wait for it -- core tool.

(Mine aren't in Rasta. It never even occurred to me they could be used as roach clips.)
prolly a good roach clip, but doesn't look as though it'd have a decent grip on spoke nipple...
not sure if it's worth the effort, to make something which has multi-use, spoke wrench and some other functions... need to think about it...
Thx
Ride On
Yuri
Old 07-12-22, 07:38 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

... I don;t carry a house key... , but brilliant !
... but McGivering something would be a fun project - when I can find some time.... don;t need a bottle opener... tire 'irons' are plastic... filing a notch into the cell phone is prolly not a good idea.. LOL! I need some teeth, like "jaws' in the Bond film 'Spy WHo Love Me"... LOL!
hmmm
Munch On
Yuri
Old 07-12-22, 07:43 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 3,412 Times in 1,783 Posts
prolly a good roach clip, but doesn't look as though it'd have a decent grip on spoke nipple...
not sure if it's worth the effort, to make something which has multi-use, spoke wrench and some other functions... need to think about it...
Thx
Ride On
Yuri
The one with the slot is (only) a spoke wrench. I tested it, and it works fine. So does the non-slotted one, for valve cores.
Old 07-13-22, 10:04 AM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by BCRider
I'm impressed that it worked. Keys are brass.
And spoke nipples are brass (or aluminum) so this is not an issue. I'm not talking about rebuilding a wheel after a major failure. I've had spokes loosen and helped others who had a spoke break. I've used it many times. Not my idea but I can't remember where I first saw it. I've been doing this for literally decades.
Old 07-13-22, 10:12 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I find the 'spoke wrench' built into most multi tools to be inadequate and are more likely to round off the spoke nipple flats. Best idea is to get the correct Park tool wrench for the bike and leave it in a dedicated tool kit for that bike with the correct size tube and an allen key set. If you are already loaded to the point that a park spoke wrench is going to break your back then I guarantee you can remove or optimize some other item you are carrying to make room for a spoke key.

Above represents advice for an ideal world.
Below is IMO an acceptable compromise.

I have had good luck with the round multi-size spoke wrenches, which are also very small, and have the added advantages of (a) fitting the spokes on almost any wheel so you can help others or even replace a damaged wheel without worry about tool compatibility, and (ii) they are dirt cheap - like half the price of the park single size key for a new multi-sized spoke key.... Supercycle Bike Round Spoke Wrench | Canadian Tire … (not that the Park ones are terribly expensive)
Old 07-13-22, 05:31 PM
bktourer1

Bikes: Diamondback "parkway" Spec. "expedition

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
I carry the first model of the Topeak Alien. Has 2 diff.spoke keys
Old 07-14-22, 04:53 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
I've modified the jaws of my small grab/snip pliers. They worked great for the particular size I cut it for, but since then, things changed & those pliers have gotten legs. I might do it to another tool for the current ride, but I really can't think of the last time I needed such a tool in an emergency. Usually if I need to address spoke tension, it's during a "test" ride & I end up bringing everything & the kitchen sink.
Old 07-14-22, 11:09 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
My Park I-Beam has a spoke wrench built into the on board tire lever. Haven't had to use it but it looks legit.
Old 07-15-22, 08:18 AM
m.c. 

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 62 Posts
I have a crank brothers multi tool, it has a small chain tool on it that has spoke wrenches built into it for different sizes.
Old 07-15-22, 12:50 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 1,808 Times in 1,053 Posts
Spokey.

The Alpha&Omega.

From Klickfix or Rixen&Kaul.

Last edited by tcs; 07-16-22 at 08:13 AM.
Old 07-15-22, 04:35 PM
Tawraste666

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Lezyne do a tiny 3 way one which I have. It weighs next to nothing and is fairly resistant to rust.
However, since discovering urior wrenches I am very reluctant to use a wrench that does not grip on four sides of the nipple. It is so much more superior.
I am also impressed with the door key modification, and now plan to mimic the urior design in the end of the key, or a dedicated piece of stainless steel that could perhaps be shaped to covertly fit somewhere on the bike.
Old 07-16-22, 08:13 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 1,808 Times in 1,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Tawraste666
However, since discovering Unior wrenches I am very reluctant to use a wrench that does not grip on four sides of the nipple.
Four side grip: also Spokey and Park's SW-40 and SW-42

Last edited by tcs; 07-16-22 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-16-22, 10:55 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 313 Posts
My crank bros multi tool has slots for spoke wrenching (as well as a chain breaker). Nothing you'd want to do serious mechanic work with, but they should be adequate for getting you home during those emergencies.