Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Rim tape from old tubes?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Rim tape from old tubes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-22, 04:54 PM
Lbxpdx

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 98 Posts
Rim tape from old tubes?

I can’t tell if I’m cheap or industrious. I’m sure there are lighter and better materials available, but I have quite a few dead tubes that need to be repurposed.
Old 09-10-22, 05:12 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
More importantly, would the old tubes keep the aired up tube from flatting?
Old 09-10-22, 05:42 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
It has been done by others @Lbxpdx . I thought about doing it because I am thrifty. I can't see why this should be any worse than the rubber rim strips when done correctly.

The reason I haven't done it myself is that it seems like it could be tedious to cut the tube so precisely and I have been lucky so far in not needing rim strips.

I figure that if you use the smallest diameter part of the tube you could make the rim strip without having to splice pieces together. If you use the outside part of the tube, you would have to splice it to get the finished diameter right. But just like the original rim strips, The overlap area is where it might be best to place the valve hole.

If you do this, let us know how it goes and please provide pictures.
Old 09-10-22, 05:50 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
The best alternative I have found to rim strips is hockey tape. The width is perfect, it sticks well and doesn't move and lasts a very long time.
Old 09-10-22, 06:46 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Will rubber inner tube protect the tube from the spoke holes? Seems like that if one thickness of tube will rub on the edge of the holes and cause a flat, it doesn't seem out of the question for the holes to rub through two thicknesses of tube. Seems like the only time I've ever seen rubber rim tape is on wheels which have the spoke nipples flat on the surface of the rim, not stuck down in holes. But I guess if you had enough thickness of rubber around the rim it would prevent flats.
Old 09-10-22, 07:07 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3490 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,766 Posts
You could also wrap your bars in old inner tubes! Save a ton of money, have super grippy bars, and tape that would never get dirty!

Yes, you’re being cheap. Pry open your wallet and spend the $10 bucks for proper rim strips.
Likes For smd4:
Old 09-10-22, 07:48 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26382 Post(s)
Liked 10,362 Times in 7,196 Posts
...rolls of Kapton tape are pretty cheap, and it works extremely well as rim tape.
Old 09-10-22, 07:51 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26382 Post(s)
Liked 10,362 Times in 7,196 Posts
Originally Posted by Lbxpdx
I can’t tell if I’m cheap or industrious. I’m sure there are lighter and better materials available, but I have quite a few dead tubes that need to be repurposed.
...you can cut crosswise strips off the wide tubes, and use them as rubber bands. Tubes also make OK bungee cords. I sometimes use them for tying plants to stakes out in the garden
Old 09-10-22, 08:16 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Old tubes make great tie-downs. They are strong and flexible. I've used them to tie a mattress to the top of a car to transport it. Learned that after a removable roof rack came loose and flipped the mattress back. Tied to the roof with the tubes going through the doors, it goes nowhere.

Try using a good brand of electrical tape pulled tight across the spoke holes. It is thinner than a piece of tube and strong enough to not puncture. Easy to apply. Been using this for years and never got a flat underneath the tube. It's always been from the tire side.
Old 09-10-22, 11:35 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Will rubber inner tube protect the tube from the spoke holes? Seems like that if one thickness of tube will rub on the edge of the holes and cause a flat, it doesn't seem out of the question for the holes to rub through two thicknesses of tube. Seems like the only time I've ever seen rubber rim tape is on wheels which have the spoke nipples flat on the surface of the rim, not stuck down in holes. But I guess if you had enough thickness of rubber around the rim it would prevent flats.
NO! Rubber rim tape is HORRIBLE! It's cheap and used to save $$ by bicycle product managers. They age and crack. But worse, they don't do a good job protecting the inner tube from spokes, nipples, rim edges, and nipple & rim debris that's oftentimes left behind during production.

In the shop, replacing that junk with Velox was standard procedure. And Velox was so durable, you could re-use it almost indefinitely.

With durable and somewhat inexpensive cloth or plastic tape readily available, I cannot imagine why on earth someone would go to the trouble to do this.

Additionally, I use used inner tubes for various purposes and I am always amazed at how quickly it degrades. It cracks & falls off so quickly, I've decided to stop wasting my time using it.

Gorilla duct tape is pretty dang durable. It works for tubeless wheels as well. If you can find it at Costco, I assume one package would be a lifetime rim strip supply - even for someone doing frequent bike repair.
Likes For LV2TNDM:
Old 09-12-22, 10:07 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Lbxpdx
How often are you needing to change your rim strip though? I havent changed mine on tube wheelsets in...probably 6 years. 2 strips of tubeless tape, even though I use tubes, and the rim strips are still doing their job. It just isnt a costly investment to do the correct thing, so why kludge it together?
Old 09-12-22, 06:20 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 430 Posts
as noted, butyl tube material is to flexible to protect the real tube from damage by a spoke/spoke hole.
Also noted - old tubes make great elastic tiedowns, I've used old tubes (the thinner, 18-25 size), split down the length, as underlay for real bar tape. Adds just the right amount of 'cush' to the bars and keeps the bar tape from moving/migrating. Also adds a touch larger diameter to the bar size, which is welcome for my hand size.
Also, length of inner tube, split down length, makes a great temporary frame guard, if you transport your bike in side an SUV or van. Keeps rub marks from developing from the bike rubbing while driving somewhere. And/Or depending on what kind of external carrier you're using, again a good frame guard to resist wear from carrier hold-downs.
A bazillion good uses for old inner tubes, but rim strips is not one of them.
Ride On
Yuri
Old 09-13-22, 06:49 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
How often are you needing to change your rim strip though? I havent changed mine on tube wheelsets in...probably 6 years.
I just recently replaced mine, and the original tape looked like it may have actually been the original tape which came on the bike. Which is why I needed to replace it.
Old 09-13-22, 08:39 AM
Lbxpdx

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 98 Posts
Looks like I’ll go and buy some velox. I was sitting at home and the LBS wasn’t open, so I figured I would try making a strip. I picked up a 91 Bridgestone MB3 for $30 and when changing the tube the plastic rim strip was broken and fell out.