Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Snot rockets - how much responsibility should I share?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-28-22, 07:35 PM
Cramic

Bikes: Giant TCR Pro Disk 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 22 Posts

I get this might be a contentious issue and I’m happy to be trashed for my behaviour, but hope that at least the practice of blowing your nose into the wind on the bike is accepted behaviour. I understand it’s not the most pleasant thing, but is often necessary and seems to be fairly common practice. There’s even a Canadian website that discusses how to do it and, my impression at least, is that Canadians are generally very polite!

Anyway, I was cycling solo on a fast section of bike path doing perhaps 32kmh. It wasn’t busy and I hadn't passed anybody recently.

And I needed to blow my nose. I glanced over my right shoulder, not really expecting to see anybody, and then blew my right and then my left. (Bear in mind I’m in Australia so cycle on the left, hence glanced over my right shoulder.)

Now it turns out some guy had decided to sit on my rear wheel. He hadn’t announced himself and I didn’t know he was there. When I glanced I don’t know if I missed him because he was so close, I didn’t turn my head far enough, or perhaps he was at my 7.

He comes alongside me a bit pissed off. Told me “that was disgusting and unnecessary” and then went ahead. We were at a similar speed, but I stayed about 20m back as I don’t like to draft people I don’t know. He was a very courteous rider thereafter. I was the only guy behind him and he did all the usual hand signs warning of dangers and his actions.

Anyway, who was in the wrong? Me? Him? Both is us?

I don’t like guys who draft strangers without letting them know. I think it’s rude and unsafe, and kind of think if you do it then the risk of a snot rocket is one you’re choosing to take.

Also, say if I had seen him, what am I to do? Have to alter my ride (slowing, making him pass) because of his actions? Hold on until he’s gone, but we actually ended up going the same way for about 5km?

Don’t know! I could probably have checked more, but my head doesn’t turn 180 and I’d rather not take my eyes off the road ahead when going quickly to check somebody hasn’t positioned themselves an inch off my rear wheel without warning. Also I think it’s a risk he’s taken upon himself.

Would be very interested to hear thoughts though. For my part I did actually feel bad and will be trying to check more thoroughly. Drafting unannounced is annoying, but doesn’t deserve to get you covered in my bogeys!
Old 09-28-22, 07:56 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
How did you not see someone sitting on your wheel if you glanced over your shoulder?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-28-22, 08:04 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4746 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
How did you not see someone sitting on your wheel if you glanced over your shoulder?
Not all of us have your rubber neck. Also sometimes drafters drift to one side or the other.

The rider drafting unannounced was asking for anything an unsuspecting rider might do. This wasn't on you, OP. If he wanted otherwise, all he had to do was speak up. (That's curtesy also. Drafting puts the rider ahead at additional risk. Granted not a lot, but it's there. He/she should be informed.)
Old 09-28-22, 08:12 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Not all of us have your rubber neck. Also sometimes drafters drift to one side or the other.
You don't need to turn your head much to see someone behind you.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-28-22, 08:17 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,875 Times in 4,639 Posts
You did nothing wrong, but that won't stop this thread from going for eight pages.
Old 09-28-22, 08:20 PM
Cramic

I thought I made it clear? I wasn’t expecting anybody to be on my wheel, I glanced over my right shoulder.

Perhaps I didn’t turn my head far enough or perhaps he’d drifted to my 7 or 8 (ie. on a clock face if you don’t understand my meaning). It might even have been me who moved right (remember, again, we cycle on the left) which put him in my 7 or 8.

Have you ever noticed the signs on trucks that say “if you can’t see my mirrors, I can’t see you”? If you’re very close to somebody in front it can make it harder for you to be seen.

Regardless, I didn’t see him.
Likes For Cramic:
Old 09-28-22, 08:26 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Cramic
Have you ever noticed the signs on trucks that say “if you can’t see my mirrors, I can’t see you”?
Trucks with mirrors ≠ people with movable heads.

Regardless, don't worry about it ... drafting unannounced has its risks.
Old 09-28-22, 08:27 PM
nick_a
Am-a-tour

Bikes: 2020 New Albion Privateer, 1983 Schwinn Super Sport, 2022 Rivendell Atlantis

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 40 Posts
I personally don't believe in snot rocketing, especially after the last few years. I'll either wipe or blow my nose with a tissue or handkerchief.
Likes For nick_a:
Old 09-28-22, 08:28 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4746 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
I have to turn my head more than I am able. (Two collarbones/side.) I wear a helmet mirror, but if that follower drifts as I said above, I don't see him.

More important, it isn't my obligation to find that follower.
Old 09-28-22, 08:33 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts
Since the drafter was uninvited and unannounced he had it coming. You are not fault and his anger was misplaced. He should have been mad at himself for not announcing and asking.
He is a person that cannot take responsibility for his actions.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-28-22, 08:35 PM
nick_a
Am-a-tour

Bikes: 2020 New Albion Privateer, 1983 Schwinn Super Sport, 2022 Rivendell Atlantis

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 40 Posts
I thought I made it clear? I wasn’t expecting anybody to be on my wheel, I glanced over my right shoulder.

Perhaps I didn’t turn my head far enough or perhaps he’d drifted to my 7 or 8 (ie. on a clock face if you don’t understand my meaning). It might even have been me who moved right (remember, again, we cycle on the left) which put him in my 7 or 8.

Have you ever noticed the signs on trucks that say “if you can’t see my mirrors, I can’t see you”? If you’re very close to somebody in front it can make it harder for you to be seen.

Regardless, I didn’t see him.
If you blow a snot cloud into the world and no one's there to witness it, is it still gross? In my opinion, yes.

This guy witnessed it and called you on it, but somehow there's a debate about whether or not he "should have been there", which is a bit victim shame-y to me. I mean, he did end up riding through your snot, whether you meant to hit him or not, or whether he notified you of his presence or not.
Likes For nick_a:
Old 09-28-22, 08:40 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2644 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts
You don't have to look behind you incase there is a drafter before you snot rocket, as you said doing so is potentially dangerous. He got unlucky/should have alerted you of his presence.

Also, say if I had seen him, what am I to do? Have to alter my ride (slowing, making him pass) because of his actions? Hold on until he’s gone, but we actually ended up going the same way for about 5km?
Lol. Im imaging you seeing him and just firing away anyways.

I prefer to hauk loogies than doing the whole holding each nostril and blowing thing
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 09-28-22, 08:47 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts
When I first read your post, I laughed out loud. Too funny and even more funny he got indignant for being a dumb bunny

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-28-22, 08:49 PM
Cramic

Originally Posted by nick_a
If you blow a snot cloud into the world and no one's there to witness it, is it still gross? In my opinion, yes.

This guy witnessed it and called you on it, but somehow there's a debate about whether or not he "should have been there", which is a bit victim shame-y to me. I mean, he did end up riding through your snot, whether you meant to hit him or not, or whether he notified you of his presence or not.
I agree to an extent! I agree it’s gross, but it seems to be fairly common practice and there’s article upon article telling you how to do it, even in Canada (I don’t know if my never-visited view of Canada is accurate!). I know because I looked before posting this. I was, before cycling, a reasonable amateur runner and, I can tell you, pretty much everybody does it.

And I also agree, and said in the op, that I felt bad and will actually endeavour to check more thoroughly in future.

But he only got it because he was drafting unannounced and I didn’t see him because he was so close. In your opinion does he share no responsibility?

I don’t know, if I put myself on the wheel of another cyclist I wouldn’t expect him to know I was there and I’d take the risk of being hit with a snot rocket. I wouldn’t expect all benefit.

Are you saying he should take no responsibility?
Old 09-28-22, 08:55 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
if you sharted, it still wouldn't have been your fault if they got a whiff/taste of it.
Old 09-29-22, 04:47 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts

Counting on someone to do that is incredibly stupid. If you draft someone without telling them, just assume they don't know you're there.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-29-22, 04:59 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts

It's normal to do gross stuff where no one is there to watch it--it's why bathrooms have doors.

No way is the guy complaining a " victim." If you wheel suck unannounced, you can't expect the lead rider to be considerate of you as there's no warning that the lead rider should. It's also a safety hazard--the lead rider may have to respond to obstacles that the following rider can't see because their view is obstructed by the lead rider.
Old 09-29-22, 05:56 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night

Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 430 Posts
I would never sit on a stranger's wheel. That's just weird. He probably won't do it anymore either.

As for snot rocketing - I do it. The last couple years I've become hyper aware of my surroundings prior to doing it, and once I even apologized to a woman who stepped out the front door of her house (15' from the street) at the exact moment I did it. It was bad timing.
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 09-29-22, 06:54 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
You did nothing wrong, but that won't stop this thread from going for eight pages.
Would go a lot longer but the mods will shut it down for good reason.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 09-29-22, 07:33 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,167 Times in 763 Posts
Snot Rocketing was an awesome thing to do during the peak of covid. When we were on group rides my friends would do it and I would yell out "covid rocket!"
Old 09-29-22, 07:36 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
ESH.
Drafting unannounced is contrary to the rules of etiquette, but snot rockets really are gross and uncalled for.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 09-29-22, 07:45 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,121 Times in 744 Posts
I personally don't believe in snot rocketing, especially after the last few years. I'll either wipe or blow my nose with a tissue or handkerchief.

Pardon me good sir -- Allow me to retrieve my kerchief !

Old 09-29-22, 07:48 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,121 Times in 744 Posts
I'm not coordinated enough for the snot rocket -- i just perform the pick and shake if its a stalactite

IF its runny -- well, thats what the terry cloth strip on the back of a lot of cycling gloves is for

Old 09-29-22, 08:49 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 2,914 Times in 1,782 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
ESH.
Drafting unannounced is contrary to the rules of etiquette, but snot rockets really are gross and uncalled for.
This is the correct answer.
Likes For himespau:
Old 09-29-22, 09:01 AM
prj71

Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,167 Times in 763 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
.. but snot rockets really are gross and uncalled for.
You don't get out much do you?

I literally see it almost every time on every group road bike ride or group mountain bike ride. It happens even more when the temps are colder.

Last edited by prj71; 09-29-22 at 12:33 PM.
Likes For prj71:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.