Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Snot rockets - how much responsibility should I share?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Snot rockets - how much responsibility should I share?

Old 09-29-22, 10:17 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
ESH.
Drafting unannounced is contrary to the rules of etiquette, but snot rockets really are gross and uncalled for.
Then you'll really be offended when I tell you how I handle it when 'nature calls' on a long ride.
Old 09-29-22, 11:14 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
In the age of SARS-CoV-2, I am afraid I have to agree that this is not acceptable behavior, from a public health point of view. (I also don't like to have to witness it, even under sterile conditions.) At the very least, pull well off to the side of the path. Better yet, use a tissue and then dispose of it when you get home.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 09-29-22, 11:28 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
ESH.
Drafting unannounced is contrary to the rules of etiquette, but snot rockets really are gross and uncalled for.
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
In the age of SARS-CoV-2, I am afraid I have to agree that this is not acceptable behavior, from a public health point of view. (I also don't like to have to witness it, even under sterile conditions.) At the very least, pull well off to the side of the path. Better yet, use a tissue and then dispose of it when you get home.

I guess I don't get where you guys are coming from when OP had no reason to believe that anyone was going to witness it let alone get hit by it. And someone who doesn't want to risk COVID exposure should definitely not be wheel sucking.

And if the idea is that he's creating some sort of biohazard when his snot ends up on the ground, citation needed, that's completely far-fetched.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-29-22, 11:37 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
He creates an aerosol cloud that lingers on the path, that could be inhaled by someone further behind. It doesn't have to be a wheel-sucker.

I'm sure you have experienced riding into someone's cloud of exhaled tobacco smoke, or perfume or cologne. If you can smell that, you are probably also inhaling virus particles if they are being shed.

The objection based purely on etiquette should be compelling. The public health concerns simply make this more emphatic.
Old 09-29-22, 12:27 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

He creates an aerosol cloud that lingers on the path, that could be inhaled by someone further behind. It doesn't have to be a wheel-sucker.

I'm sure you have experienced riding into someone's cloud exhaled tobacco smoke, or perfume or cologne. If you can smell that, you are probably also inhaling virus particles if they are being shed.
Sorry, but that possibility of the "cloud of death" was thoroughly debunked in 2020, outdoor transmission rarely if ever happens. The particles are heavier than air, so if they are not made windborne and dissipated, they quickly end up on the ground. Also, the virus does not do well in sunlight. The one thing the aerosol won't do is linger on the path at a height where anyone would breath it in. You shouldn't cough in someone's face, and definitely don't launch the rocket at anyone, but what you're describing is an absurdly unlikely scenario. It's just a completely different calculation than doing stuff like that indoors.

BTW, if the viruses do become airborne, they will dissipate very quickly to too low of a concentration to be considered a threat and also likely die from the exposure.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-29-22, 12:34 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,166 Times in 763 Posts
In the age of SARS-CoV-2, I am afraid I have to agree that this is not acceptable behavior, from a public health point of view.
I thinkg we've moved beyond that point now. Nobody is even wearing masks anymore.

(I also don't like to have to witness it, even under sterile conditions.) At the very least, pull well off to the side of the path. Better yet, use a tissue and then dispose of it when you get home.
In a group ride setting it doesn't work that way. Especially if your huffing along at 20+ mph.
Old 09-29-22, 12:42 PM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 407 Posts
We're (really) talking about blowing out body fluids and hitting someone accidentally. It's accidental, but still a "wrong". Getting on someone's wheel uninvited and unannounced, also a "wrong", not accidental and could have consequences. But I say that if someone blew snot on me during a ride, accidental or not, I'd be ticked off and they just might get some "escalated retribution" on the pass. He who lives by the boogie dies by the boogie.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 09-29-22, 12:49 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by prj71
I thinkg we've moved beyond that point now. Nobody is even wearing masks anymore.

In a group ride setting it doesn't work that way. Especially if your huffing along at 20+ mph.
I ride solo, no way I'm pulling off the road/path to deal with snot. I'm more of a runny nose guy so it's usually a matter of wiping my nose than blowing it, but occasionally I need to spit (bug in the mouth, that sort of thing), and I'm just going to make sure I'm not going to hit anyone..I'm working hard, I'm likely to have some obnoxious bodily functions. You don't want to see it, stay away.
Old 09-29-22, 12:58 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1280 Post(s)
Liked 893 Times in 471 Posts
How did he expect you to know he was there? This is ridiculous. I think he was being overly-aggressive and illogical. On a group ride, I would have accused you. On a solo ride, what you did was perfectly acceptable. Although I blow my nose (or spit) into the palm of my glove, if I felt I had to evacuate my nostrils without benefit of tissue on a solo ride, the last thing I would expect is someone trying to turn my bike into a tandem. Your manners were good. p.s: for people with a deviated septum, this method of aspiration is the only way to maintain proper nasal ventilation.
Old 09-29-22, 01:06 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
Did we ever establish how far off the OPs wheel the other rider was?

For the life of me I will never understand why riders on our path spit and blow snot wads over the path as opposed to toward the grassy side of the path. It's common though. Generally people are remarkably unaware.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 09-29-22, 01:10 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
You don't need to turn your head much to see someone behind you.
I can't believe you just said that. Have you any idea how dangerous it is for a rider to turn one's head 180 degrees?

Are you suggesting we all do that every minute or two to scan for "knuckle-heads"?
Old 09-29-22, 01:22 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,427 Times in 2,826 Posts
Back in my late 20s I was on one of my first group rides and had to blow my nose. I reached into my jersey pocket and pulled out a handkerchief and blew my nose. My good friend asked me what I was doing since riding in a pack, I took an unnecessary risk by reaching back and that no one does that, especially experienced riders. I felt like an idiot at that point with my white handkerchief

From that point on, when pacelining or in a group, I would fade to the very back and do the ‘one nostril farmer blow’ aka snot rockets.

Last edited by rsbob; 09-29-22 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-29-22, 01:26 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
I can't believe you just said that. Have you any idea how dangerous it is for a rider to turn one's head 180 degrees?

Are you suggesting we all do that every minute or two to scan for "knuckle-heads"?
Yeah, the obvious implication of “you don’t need to turn your head much to see someone behind you” is “you should turn your head 180 degrees every minute or two.” Solid reasoning.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-29-22, 01:33 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
We're (really) talking about blowing out body fluids and hitting someone accidentally. It's accidental, but still a "wrong". Getting on someone's wheel uninvited and unannounced, also a "wrong", not accidental and could have consequences. But I say that if someone blew snot on me during a ride, accidental or not, I'd be ticked off and they just might get some "escalated retribution" on the pass. He who lives by the boogie dies by the boogie.
I think that's idiotic, but you do you. Suffice it to say that deliberate retribution would likely be criminal assault of some nature, so don't whine when you end up in cuffs.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-29-22, 01:39 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Maybe MoAlpha can either confirm or correct me, but I've been told (and experience seems to bear this out) that plugging a nostril while blowing your nose is a pretty good way to give yourself an ear infection as it forces mucus into the eustachian tube.
Old 09-29-22, 01:49 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Heck I coughed while on a group ride earlier this year after a sip on my bottle went down wrong. Spewed sugary water all over the people behind me. Mostly on my son that was following close on my wheel.

Any one that get offended or shudders at the thoughts of such should just stay home and watch on TV.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-29-22, 01:53 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Iride01
Heck I coughed while on a group ride earlier this year after a sip on my bottle went down wrong. Spewed sugary water all over the people behind me. Mostly on my son that was following close on my wheel.

Any one that get offended or shudders at the thoughts of such should just stay home and watch on TV.

That water bottle chug going down wrong is really embarrassing. Had it happen to me this year as well. People start staring at you like you're Linda Blair..
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-29-22, 02:03 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
That water bottle chug going down wrong is really embarrassing. Had it happen to me this year as well. People start staring at you like you're Linda Blair..
Yeah, but that's par for the course. I'd stare too and make some slightly snarky quick quip if I was the receiver of such or even a snot rocket, which I have been hit by... from a woman.

But to hold anything against that person is ridiculous. It's just one of those things you put up with if you are going to participate. Only if it can be proven to be intentional and regular behavior of the person then something might need to be done about it.
Old 09-29-22, 02:07 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,427 Times in 2,826 Posts
I have been snotted on. It’s unpleasant, it happens, but certainly is not worthy of retribution unless you have anger management problems. I just tell offender to next time, go to the back before letting it fly. They usually apologize unless they have a first name of Dick.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-29-22, 02:45 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,295 Times in 7,229 Posts

Where does he mention 180 degrees? Indeed, his comment suggests just the opposite.
Old 09-29-22, 02:56 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Yeah, the obvious implication of “you don’t need to turn your head much to see someone behind you” is “you should turn your head 180 degrees every minute or two.” Solid reasoning.
It's easy to check behind you? I think that is one of the most ill-considered comments I've heard on this site.
Old 09-29-22, 03:00 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Originally Posted by rsbob
My good friend asked me what I was doing since riding in a pack, I took an unnecessary risk by reaching back and that no one does that, especially experienced riders.
I find the best option is to expel any unwanted or excess mucous directly into the palm of the glove. If the bars seem slippery, then, I wipe it on my pants.
Old 09-29-22, 03:03 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
It's easy to check behind you? I think that is one of the most ill-considered comments I've heard on this site.
Yeah, it's absolutely dangerous and reckless to turn your head while riding to look behind you. Imagine how dangerous it would be if drivers turned their head to check their blind spot before changing lanes?

Last edited by tomato coupe; 09-29-22 at 04:59 PM.
Old 09-29-22, 03:21 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
It's easy to check behind you. There.

If you can't fathom how a person can swivel his/her head, then do it differently: move your chin down to your chest and look under your arm -- between your arm and chest, really. It's easier to demonstrate than describe, but it's quick, safe, and gives a full view of everything behind you.
Old 09-29-22, 03:56 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Yeah, it's absolutely dangerous and reckless to turn your head while riding to look behind you. Imagine how dangerous it would be if drivers turned their head to check their blind spot before changing lines?
Doesn't anyone on this thread use a mirror?
Likes For Milton Keynes:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.