Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Do you commute with an electric bike?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.
View Poll Results: Do you commute with an electric bike?
Yes, always.
11.11%
Yes, often.
7.19%
Yes, but only sometimes
6.54%
No, but I'm considering to start.
25.49%
No, never!
49.67%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-03-18, 01:25 PM
haphaeu

Bikes: n-1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Motivated by the sudden notable increase in the number of electric bike commuting around here, I'm curious to know how much of a trend this is, and if people are willing to stick to their conventionals.
Old 12-03-18, 01:29 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
If I did I certainly wouldn't admit it around here!

Just kidding, I'd fess up and wouldn't feel a bit bad about it, no matter what others thought of it.
Old 12-03-18, 01:39 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Nah. I want some exercise; maybe as I get older.
Old 12-03-18, 02:09 PM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
no e-bike for me.

but on mornings like this one when i'm battling a cruel headwind on a chilly snowy winter day, sometimes my mind does ponder......

does anyone have experience/info on how well e-bikes stand up to the grinding abuse of daily winter riding in nasty, salty, slushy conditions?

are the electical systems (battery, wires, motor, etc) robust enough to withstand daily salt exposure?

Last edited by Steely Dan; 12-03-18 at 02:19 PM.
Old 12-03-18, 02:57 PM
radroad

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
The problem with asking this type of question on this type of forum is that a) most of the riders are older, i.e., stuck in their ways, b) are heavily invested both financially and emotionally, and c) typically own a sizable stable of conventional bikes. They are loathe to change their ways and any significant change is going to feel like being thrown into an icy cold lake against their will.

As far as the industry in general, I'd say e-bikes will constitute half of all bike sales in, say 5-6 years, and perhaps 70-75% in 10 years. Grant Petersen thinks the timeline is half that.

The industry is in the midst of a cataclysmic change. It's amazing to me that 90% of this forum seems oblivious or in denial of this.

Last edited by radroad; 12-03-18 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-03-18, 03:32 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by radroad

The industry is in the midst of a cataclysmic change. It's amazing to me that 90% of this forum seems oblivious or in denial of this.
I've seen this already in Germany, where people aren't afraid of a high sunk cost. Tons of 50+ people are on pedelec (ebikes) already.
Old 12-03-18, 03:39 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
We have Jump bikes in Sacramento, which are electric-assist bikeshare bikes. I think they're awesome and I use them all the time for errands. One time I rode my own bike from my house to the office, went upstairs to check my email, then came back down and grabbed a Jump bike to go to a dentist appointment 15 blocks away. There have been other times when my wife has dropped me off at work and I grabbed a Jump bike to ride home.

But 99% I ride my own human-powered bike.
Old 12-03-18, 06:38 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
I don't commute by E-Bike, but I am seriously considering building up an electric heavy hauler tow bike/cargo trike.

An E-Bike might be nice for my longer commutes. 200 miles? But, I certainly don't want to lug dead batteries around with me, and also see those long rides as a bit of a personal challenge.
Old 12-03-18, 08:27 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
E-Bikes… What IS, an E-Bike, and still remains a bicycle, for all intensive purposes, ... That is the Q...
In the EU an E-Bike is a bicycle that you HAVE to pedal,...
In the EU it's an E-Bike that has a MAX of 350 Watts of "assist" and no throttle is still considered a bicycle …

Here in the N. American continent, its anywhere from a 250, 350, 500 and even 750 WATTS OF" ASSIST"... WITH A THROTTLE, or WITHOUT A THROTTLE, WHO CARES, It's an "assist"... a TOTAL fail in my book, OH, did I say/mention there are 2,000, 3,000, 4,000, +watts "E-Bikes" out there for "off road" USE WITH A THROTTLE and no need to pedal...…??? Anything with a throttle, and, you do not NEED to pedal, IS a moped in my book... JMO
Old 12-03-18, 09:37 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
I imagine there’s an eBike somewhere in my future. Not tomorrow or any time soon, but if I’m in a situation where it’s not feasible for me to ride unassisted then you can bet I’ll go electric.

I don’t understand the animosity so many around here seem so eager to express. If I need an assist to keep enjoying something I’ve loved for a lifetime, why not? Electric wheelchairs can go faster than some people can walk, so should we ban them from the sidewalks? The next time I’m walking down the street and I see someone in an electric wheelchair maybe I should call them out for cheating because they’re not working as hard as me. Nonsense!

If or when the time comes that I need or want an eBike, I’m gonna do it loud and proud. I’m gonna ride the damn wheels off of it in all the same ways I’ve ridden my whole life.

I wear glasses because they assist my vision.
If I need a hearing aid, I’ll get one.
If I need a cane or walker I’m gonna buy one with style.
If I need or want an electric wheelchair, I’m gonna get me a cool, fast, stylish one.
If I decide I’m ready for an eBike, well, you already know what I’m gonna do.

-Kedosto
Old 12-04-18, 01:05 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by 350htrr
E-Bikes… What IS, an E-Bike, and still remains a bicycle, for all intensive purposes, ... That is the Q...
In the EU an E-Bike is a bicycle that you HAVE to pedal,...
In the EU it's an E-Bike that has a MAX of 350 Watts of "assist" and no throttle is still considered a bicycle …

Here in the N. American continent, its anywhere from a 250, 350, 500 and even 750 WATTS OF" ASSIST"... WITH A THROTTLE, or WITHOUT A THROTTLE, WHO CARES, It's an "assist"... a TOTAL fail in my book, OH, did I say/mention there are 2,000, 3,000, 4,000, +watts "E-Bikes" out there for "off road" USE WITH A THROTTLE and no need to pedal...…??? Anything with a throttle, and, you do not NEED to pedal, IS a moped in my book... JMO
In German, it's a "pedelec" or pedal-electric
Old 12-04-18, 01:50 AM
physdl

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm (so far) the only person who voted Yes, always. To be fair, it's just been a week since I started, but I don't see myself stopping or going back to a regular bike anytime soon. I bought a "hot-rodded" Bafang BBS02 mid-drive for my bike which can generate around 1200W. It's amazing and it's honestly the only reason I can commute by bike. Why?

I used to commute 3ish times per week, 10.5 miles each way. But I live near Seattle and there is no way I can avoid hills. My commute used to take me, at best, 1 hour of pedal time, plus another 10 minutes or so stopped at traffic lights. It also left me exhausted every time since I had steep hills on both sides. I probably stuck with it for 1.5 years or so until life got in the way, I tried restarting a number of times, but each time I'd have to start very slowly and build things back up - until something else happened in life to interfere.

Now, I have a toddler and an infant at home, and I don't have time to take take over an hour each way and be exhausted when I get there. The e-bike is the fastest and most reliable way I can commute right now - almost as fast as a car (if not faster on some days) and without the poor reliability of bus transfers. It takes me 40-45 minutes door-to-door and I still get a good 35 minutes of exercise each way. I keep the assist level as low as possible, and only use the throttle (while still pedaling) to beat traffic lights or climb hills.

So if you think e-bikes are cheating, then so is a short commute or a flat commute. Because that's effectively what the e-bike gives me.
Old 12-04-18, 01:56 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by physdl
I'm (so far) the only person who voted Yes, always. To be fair, it's just been a week since I started, but I don't see myself stopping or going back to a regular bike anytime soon. I bought a "hot-rodded" Bafang BBS02 mid-drive for my bike which can generate around 1200W. It's amazing and it's honestly the only reason I can commute by bike. Why?

I used to commute 3ish times per week, 10.5 miles each way. But I live near Seattle and there is no way I can avoid hills. My commute used to take me, at best, 1 hour of pedal time, plus another 10 minutes or so stopped at traffic lights. It also left me exhausted every time since I had steep hills on both sides. I probably stuck with it for 1.5 years or so until life got in the way, I tried restarting a number of times, but each time I'd have to start very slowly and build things back up - until something else happened in life to interfere.

Now, I have a toddler and an infant at home, and I don't have time to take take over an hour each way and be exhausted when I get there. The e-bike is the fastest and most reliable way I can commute right now - almost as fast as a car (if not faster on some days) and without the poor reliability of bus transfers. It takes me 40-45 minutes door-to-door and I still get a good 35 minutes of exercise each way. I keep the assist level as low as possible, and only use the throttle (while still pedaling) to beat traffic lights or climb hills.

So if you think e-bikes are cheating, then so is a short commute or a flat commute. Because that's effectively what the e-bike gives me.
Nice job man. That's the way to do it.
Old 12-04-18, 03:44 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,399 Times in 2,510 Posts
Seems like a wide gap between "No, but considering" and "No, never!". I checked "No, never!" because I don't have an e-Bike and am not considering commuting with one. I expect and hope to retire (15 years?) healthy enough to commute on a non-e-bike like I do now.

But I've got nothing against e-Bikes (so the "never!" seems a bit excessive), and I do hope that I get old enough that regular cycling becomes too difficult, in which case I would look into an e-Bike or maybe even an e-Trike.
Old 12-04-18, 03:51 PM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Originally Posted by RubeRad
Seems like a wide gap between "No, but considering" and "No, never!". I checked "No, never!" because I don't have an e-Bike and am not considering commuting with one. I expect and hope to retire (15 years?) healthy enough to commute on a non-e-bike like I do now.

But I've got nothing against e-Bikes (so the "never!" seems a bit excessive), and I do hope that I get old enough that regular cycling becomes too difficult, in which case I would look into an e-Bike or maybe even an e-Trike.
+1

i too voted "no, never", but that's far too absolute for my beliefs on the matter.

a more accurate poll category for me would be "no, i don't ride an e-bike, but i've got nothing against them, and maybe someday i'll get one, who knows?"
Old 12-04-18, 04:03 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Liked 3,399 Times in 2,510 Posts
Maybe OP meant for our attitude to be included in "considering"
Old 12-04-18, 04:04 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr
E-Bikes… What IS, an E-Bike
For all intents and purposes, an e-bike is a bicycle with a motor and battery.
Old 12-04-18, 07:00 PM
aadhils
Bike Junkie

Bikes: 2013 Orange Brompton M3L; 2006 Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixie (Eddy Orange); 2022 Surly Cross Check, Black

Liked 7 Times in 1 Post
As soon as the Brompton electric is available in the US I'm getting one!
Old 12-05-18, 08:22 AM
medic75

Bikes: '19 Trek Stache 5, '17 DB Hannjo Trail, '09 Scott CR1 Pro, Schwinn Central commuter, '16 DB El Oso

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Seems like a wide gap between "No, but considering" and "No, never!". I checked "No, never!" because I don't have an e-Bike and am not considering commuting with one.
I feel the same way. I wish there was a choice between the two. I am not considering an e-bike and I do not see myself considering one in the near or distant future. With that being said, my "No, never!" choice is a little too absolute and negative for me. Honestly, I hope that I am never required to ride an e-bike due to a physical condition.
Old 12-05-18, 08:51 AM
PaulH

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 61 Posts
What's the difference between riding an e-bike and riding a road bike? Both alternatives allow one to ride faster with the same effort as on an upright bike but the ebike would seem more convenient.
Old 12-05-18, 08:51 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I’d certainly consider it should the need arise. Due to my bum ticker I’ve at least been paying attention. But my ride is short and I have not been disabled enough yet.
Old 12-05-18, 09:01 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Question and answers seem fine to me.

"DO you commute with an electric bike" it is a question regarding the present. Answering "No, never" is accurate for anyone who has never commuted on an e-bike... even if they may at some point in the future.
Old 12-05-18, 09:23 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

^ i think it was the inclusion of the exclamation point in the "no, never!" answer that had many of us seeing that option as being a bit anti e-bike.

i never commute on an e-bike because i don't have one, but i got no issues with those that do.

Last edited by Steely Dan; 12-05-18 at 09:47 AM.
Old 12-05-18, 09:36 AM
clengman

Bikes: '73 Schwinn World Voyageur, '98 Nishiki BSO

Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I don't commute by E-Bike, but I am seriously considering building up an electric heavy hauler tow bike/cargo trike.

An E-Bike might be nice for my longer commutes. 200 miles? But, I certainly don't want to lug dead batteries around with me, and also see those long rides as a bit of a personal challenge.
Same here. Except for the 200 mile commute thing.
Old 12-05-18, 09:46 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Originally Posted by Steely Dan
^ i think it was the inclusion of the exclamation point in the "no, never!" answer that had many of seeing that option as being a bit anti e-bike.

i never commute on an e-bike because i don't have one, but i got no issues with those that do.
Agreed. And we all know there is some strong Anti E-bike sentiment around here! Which seems awfully silly to me.

But hey, it makes for some good popcorn eating threads!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.