Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Road Biking Fingerless Glove Recommendations

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 11-30-20, 02:09 PM
WanderingAlbatr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I have been trying a number of fingerless road gloves and have not had much luck with fit, durability, and comfort. I typically ride 25 to 100 miles on an endurance bike.

The cheaper gloves do not typically fit well and have limited durability. Some have had threads coming out after a few rides. Also, I am looking for a glove with a medium to high cushion and I have found that good quality padding is not always used even on some of the higher-end gloves.

I have tried no name knock-offs, Giro, Gore, Pearl Izumi, etc. Looking for something ideally under $50 a pair.

I look forward to everyone's recommendations.
Old 11-30-20, 02:15 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
I use these and just snip off the finger ends.

Mechanix Wear MG-05-009 Mechanics Gloves | Size M, L, XL New with Tags | eBay

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 11-30-20 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-30-20, 02:37 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20803 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
Do you feel that you need the gloves for protection in the event of a fall, or something? If not, I prefer no gloves and good bar tape.

If you want gloves for the additional padding, you may be weighting your hands/arms too much.
Old 11-30-20, 02:41 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...upple-bar-tape

5mm thick bar tape, which is 2x thicker than a lot of typical bar tape.
Then whatever gloves you want. If you arent comfortable still, then you need to look at your fit on the bike.
Old 11-30-20, 03:00 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,849 Times in 6,066 Posts
I like Giro's ZeroCS, because they've got zero padding but provide a non-slip grip I don't get with sweaty hands. I absolutely cannot stand gel gloves - the padding is always too think and in the wrong places.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 11-30-20, 03:27 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
I've got 4 summers on some Louis Garneu fingerless gloves that are still in great shape. They were relatively inexpensive as I recall but don't remember where I got them. They are padded but not real thick. Can't think of any fingerless gloves that have thick pads.
You may want to put some gel pads under your bar tape and then going with unpadded or lightly padded gloves, which will get you a bigger selection. I bought my first road bike used and it had gel pads. Similar feel to having the padding on the gloves.
Old 11-30-20, 03:27 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I've used pearl izumi elite gloves for years. Not cheap, $45, but i get plenty of miles on them.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 11-30-20, 04:23 PM
cloud

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 16 Posts
I use copper fit gloves .
Old 11-30-20, 10:12 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3884 Post(s)
Liked 1,937 Times in 1,382 Posts
I've been using Serfas RSM gloves for a couple years, same and only pair. I've decided I like them. So far, no obvious wear. I have many pair of various makes, but for some reason I've been using these for indoor cycling, where they've worked very well.
Old 11-30-20, 11:06 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
double wrap the handlebars for starters. some riders prefer bigger tires to soak up the vibrations...some of us prefer the smaller tires for their nimbleness
along with double wrapped h-bars and padded gloves to soak up the road vibrations. that wrist area is a complicated one and altho i don't put a ton of pressure
on them generally, that plus heavy braking on steep slopes does a number on them. i'll spend a little extra to protect the wrists vs the feeling every bump in the
road thankyouverymuch.

i've been happy with chiba gloves for the last 5-6 years.

https://www.chiba.de/en/

Last edited by diphthong; 11-30-20 at 11:34 PM.
Old 12-01-20, 12:29 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

IMO gloves do a lot more than protect against road rash. Good ones are designed and padded to protect the ulnar nerve, which helps to protect one from cyclist's palsy. Foe me, bar wrap is for grip and warmth on cold days. My hands don't particularly notice vibration even using gloves with no padding at all, just a thin leather palm.
Old 12-01-20, 09:16 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
All my fingerless cycling gloves developed a few loose threads the first year but overall lasted well for years. I'm still using a set of inexpensive Garneau gloves from 2015 or '16, no problems. Even a very thin set of Giro minimalist gloves are still holding up despite a couple of loose threads -- the seams didn't continue pulling apart.

These have held up much better than the old school leather and crocheted gloves I wore back in the 1970s. Those things never lasted more than a year or two.

If I had my druthers I'd get a non-existent pair of Bontrager gloves: a fingerless version of their now-discontinued cool weather full finger RXL Thermal gloves. Toughest and most comfortable unpadded gloves I've ever found. No loose threads, unraveled seams, or structural deterioration at all. Even after a few minor slips and falls there's nothing worse than minor scuffs on the leatherette palms.
Old 12-02-20, 08:23 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
I need to mention this thread to my wife- she can smell my gloves from a room away in the summer, and I wash them with regularity and only keep em for a year or two. Some here have em for 4 and 5 years!
Old 12-02-20, 11:25 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2561 Post(s)
Liked 5,594 Times in 2,903 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I need to mention this thread to my wife- she can smell my gloves from a room away in the summer, and I wash them with regularity and only keep em for a year or two. Some here have em for 4 and 5 years!
Interesting how they develop their own funky smell. Like a cross between sweat, sun tan lotion and some alien roadkill. I hand wash mine but the smell returns in a week or two.

So, do folks no longer use their gloved hands to “sweep” glass and other debris from their tires while riding? I have done this on both tires for years to proactively prevent flats. Once I got the hang of it, which took a bit, it has become second nature. No gloves, thin gloves, fendered bikes certainly don’t work. But am I alone in this or are people too afraid to reach down while riding.

BTW I use Perl Izumi padded gloves which last a couple to three years, probably because of the way I use them. But see them as disposable items.

Old 12-02-20, 11:32 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by canklecat
All my fingerless cycling gloves developed a few loose threads the first year but overall lasted well for years. I'm still using a set of inexpensive Garneau gloves from 2015 or '16, no problems. Even a very thin set of Giro minimalist gloves are still holding up despite a couple of loose threads -- the seams didn't continue pulling apart.

These have held up much better than the old school leather and crocheted gloves I wore back in the 1970s. Those things never lasted more than a year or two.

If I had my druthers I'd get a non-existent pair of Bontrager gloves: a fingerless version of their now-discontinued cool weather full finger RXL Thermal gloves. Toughest and most comfortable unpadded gloves I've ever found. No loose threads, unraveled seams, or structural deterioration at all. Even after a few minor slips and falls there's nothing worse than minor scuffs on the leatherette palms.
I still have mine because I only use them on one hot, long event ride. They are great gloves.
Old 12-02-20, 11:42 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by rsbob
Interesting how they develop their own funky smell. Like a cross between sweat, sun tan lotion and some alien roadkill. I hand wash mine but the smell returns in a week or two.

So, do folks no longer use their gloved hands to “sweep” glass and other debris from their tires while riding? I have done this on both tires for years to proactively prevent flats. Once I got the hang of it, which took a bit, it has become second nature. No gloves, thin gloves, fendered bikes certainly don’t work. But am I alone in this or are people too afraid to reach down while riding.

BTW I use Perl Izumi padded gloves which last a couple to three years, probably because of the way I use them. But see them as disposable items.
Mine don't smell. I machine wash them every week in a net bag, along with the rest of my bike laundry, gentle cycle, warm water, Atsko SPORT-WASH, dryer set to Low. I wash everything that way, including the stuff that says hand wash, drip dry. Never had a problem. Try that SPORT-WASH, good stuff.

Warning for the novice tire-wiper: on the rear tire, only touch it aft of the seat stays! A buddy of mine once forgot and tried it in front of the seat stays, got his hand wedged between the seat tube and tire, which locked up his rear wheel and was very painful to boot.
Old 12-02-20, 11:51 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2561 Post(s)
Liked 5,594 Times in 2,903 Posts
Thanks for the tip on Sport Wash.

Your phrase, “tire-wipers” made me smile, but am a bit immature for my age.

Old 12-02-20, 01:27 PM
WanderingAlbatr

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you for all of the feedback!

I got the new bike a few months ago and I still getting the fit dialed in. At times I am getting sensitivity at the center base of my palms. I did not have this issue with my previous bike nearly as much.

I might have too much weight on my palms. I ordered a shorter stem to give that a try along with double checking the seat location. I also plan to try out some of the mentioned gloves.

The endurance bike has 28 mm tires so the ride is well cushioned. It seems that the hand issue is mainly due to too much load on my palms and not as much due to vibration.

I also like the idea of the thicker bar tape. Right now, I just have the factory bar tape. The bar diameter is larger than my previous bike so that should help a little.
Old 12-02-20, 02:57 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
All these people reporting that their gloves last for a year, or three years, or whatever, might want to consider that chronological time is irrelevant. Mileage is all that matters.

I probably get about 5k - 6k miles from a pair of half-finger gloves before replacing them...The gel padding (I like that type) starts to break down, or the gloves are stretched out and loose from use, etc.

As for brand: Specialized.
Old 12-02-20, 03:00 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Koyote
All these people reporting that their gloves last for a year, or three years, or whatever, might want to consider that chronological time is irrelevant. Mileage is all that matters.
Do you ride on your gloves?
Old 12-02-20, 03:12 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Do you ride on your gloves?
I wear my gloves while riding, which is what wears them out.

They don't wear out while sitting on my workbench.
Old 12-02-20, 03:37 PM
WhyFi

I wear my gloves while riding, which is what wears them out.

They don't wear out while sitting on my workbench.
If Strava tells you that this month your gloves have biked about 500 miles with 35,000 ft of elevation gain, about how many miles would that be equivalent to if the elevation gain were a few hundred feet?
Old 12-02-20, 03:52 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by WhyFi
If Strava tells you that this month your gloves have biked about 500 miles with 35,000 ft of elevation gain, about how many miles would that be equivalent to if the elevation gain were a few hundred feet?
Don't be silly. Everyone knows it's the descents that wear out gloves.
Old 12-02-20, 03:55 PM
WhyFi

Don't be silly. Everyone knows it's the descents that wear out gloves.
I get the feeling that you're not treating this with the seriousness that it deserves. *sigh*
Old 12-02-20, 03:57 PM
WanderingAlbatr

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I ordered some Louis Garneu fingerless gloves to try out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.