Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Climb Similar to Newport coast but in Lake Forest/Irvine area

Notices
Southern California Southern California

Old 06-11-22, 07:41 AM
53x11

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All!

Can you suggest a climb for Hill repeats in Lake Forest / Irvine area similar to Newport Coast climb off PCH to Spy Glass hill? 1.5-2 miles 5-6% grade and not too busy with cars?

Thank you!

Alex
Old 06-11-22, 06:58 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1783 Post(s)
Liked 1,436 Times in 986 Posts
I haven't ridden in that area since I moved out of Irvine over 25 years ago, but how about El Toro Road from Laguna Canyon Road up to (I think) La Paz Road. Not sure of how busy it is, if any new stoplights, or the traffic on it these days, but it used to be quite a grind to push up it. It used to be pretty 'open' on weekend mornings with light traffic when I lived down there. You'd probably want to do it early in the morning since the traffic gets heavy by mid-morning, and the summer beach crowd heading down to Laguna Beach has got to be a nightmare all day long.

And how about Santiago Canyon Road from the Jamboree Rd intersection up to the entrance to Irvine Lake? Its closer to Tustin, not in Irvine or Lake Forest, but close enough to Irvine just be going up Jamboree Rd.
Old 06-12-22, 03:40 PM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 235 Times in 101 Posts
How about going up Los Alisos from any point near the N side of the 5 and turn around at Marguerite Pkwy. Nice road, bike lane & not too busy esp. on early weekends.
West
P.S. Edited to note I haven't done the climb you cited so I don't know if my suggestion fits your goal.

Last edited by 2seven0; 06-12-22 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Added info.
Old 06-13-22, 12:18 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
no. you'll be happier riding/driving over and doing that same climb you referenced. aliso creek in the lake forest area between el toro rd and the 73 is fairly close and has a bike lane but carries a decent amount of traffic. scenery? meh.

if you wanna venture ne of the 5/405, live oak canyon rd. south to north is probably your best bet. much of it is shaded, traffic on the weekdays during non-commute times is fairly low and the sightlines are pretty good.
possibly/most importantly, it's a road that isn't drudgery when doing repeats. you can always add the little trabuco canyon ascent on the south end and drop down to cook's corner on the north end (and turn around for a good "pop").
it's likely about the same distance from you as your referenced climb.

Last edited by diphthong; 06-13-22 at 04:59 AM.
Old 06-19-22, 07:16 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Portola, Saddleback/Glen Ranch, Vista Del Lago