Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Need some advice on paint cracks on a 2013 Cannondale SuperSix Evo Hi-mod

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-22, 08:44 AM
AdamITR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Need some advice. I recently purchased a minty 2013 Cannondale SuperSix Evo Hi-mod Duraace from a friend. Excellent condition, low miles, no marks, crashes, etc. I did a drivetrain clean, as I wax all my chains. In doing so I noticed 2 paint cracks, not chips, on the tubes that meets the dropout. Both sides ... the paint cracking does not make a complete circle around the tube. More on the side and back. I contacted the two major carbon repair companies, 1 in CO, 1 in OR. The response from one was: "These look like just flex-related paint cracking. It can happen with thick paint. Keep an eye on it and let us know if it grows at all." The other company a bit more proactive said to "send frame in, they would sand down both sides, ultrasound, if all good repaint, or repair and repaint". Not sure what to do. Looking for some feedback please

Old 07-20-22, 08:57 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9652 Post(s)
Liked 6,364 Times in 3,504 Posts
Thick paint coatings can do that from flex. Personally, I'd ride it while keeping an eye on it. Take pictures periodically to you can compare and see if it is getting worse over time.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 07-20-22, 09:00 AM
AdamITR

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah, my thoughts too. Thanks for your response.
Old 07-20-22, 09:00 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 438 Posts
I'd vote for thick paint as well, but you could always do a structural integrity verification if you want to be 100% sure. There are techniques / tools for that and shops that offers it.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 07-20-22, 11:48 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
Almost looks like some stain on the paint more so than a crack. But that might just be the pic resolution and focus.

I too wouldn't worry other than just watch it every so often.
Old 07-20-22, 09:05 PM
AdamITR

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Definitely paint crack, Isopropyl does not remove. I decided to err on the safe side, have the frame checked, repaired if needed, and repainted. Plus it will calm my OCD when pushing the bike hard, lol.
Likes For AdamITR:
Old 07-21-22, 01:56 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 668 Times in 280 Posts
Originally Posted by AdamITR
Definitely paint crack, Isopropyl does not remove. I decided to err on the safe side, have the frame checked, repaired if needed, and repainted. Plus it will calm my OCD when pushing the bike hard, lol.
Good idea... better safe than sorry.
Old 07-21-22, 11:48 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Could you mention where you're getting it done and about how much it would cost for the inspection (not the repair or repaint, if needed).

T
Old 07-22-22, 08:32 AM
AdamITR

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
Could you mention where you're getting it done and about how much it would cost for the inspection (not the repair or repaint, if needed).

T
Ruckus Composites is doing the inspection and potential repair, no idea on cost yet.
Likes For AdamITR:
Old 07-22-22, 05:20 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 713 Times in 367 Posts
Ruckus Composites is doing the inspection and potential repair, no idea on cost yet.
tapping with a Nickel is cheaper, just sayin
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 08-16-22, 07:21 PM
AdamITR

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wanted to update this post, as I received the frame inspection results today. First, Ruckus Composites was excellent to deal with, and communicating via email was fast.

So, unfortunately bad news: "We've inspected the dropouts on your frame and found that the damage is structural (meaning, not just in the paint) on both sides of the frame. Additionally, we found that the non-drive side seat stay is broken. You might not have noticed this, as it was obscured by a sticker."

Definitely glad I sent the frame for inspection! Ty to Ruckus for keeping me safe! Now it's time to use the components to build a CADD 13 rim brake or Allez Sprint... not sure if I can find a nos rim brake version. Will be my winter bike.
Old 08-16-22, 07:36 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 668 Times in 280 Posts
Wanted to update this post, as I received the frame inspection results today. First, Ruckus Composites was excellent to deal with, and communicating via email was fast.

So, unfortunately bad news: "We've inspected the dropouts on your frame and found that the damage is structural (meaning, not just in the paint) on both sides of the frame. Additionally, we found that the non-drive side seat stay is broken. You might not have noticed this, as it was obscured by a sticker."

Definitely glad I sent the frame for inspection! Ty to Ruckus for keeping me safe! Now it's time to use the components to build a CADD 13 rim brake or Allez Sprint... not sure if I can find a nos rim brake version. Will be my winter bike.
Always good to err on the side of safety. Glad you had it checked out...
Likes For Caliwild: