Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Moving overseas: how to carry bike box + luggage through the airport?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 07-27-22, 05:50 PM
JessieB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi all! I'm moving overseas for 1 year, and I'm trying to decide how to transport my bike. The cheapest way seems to be to pack my bike in a cardboard box and take it on the plane as extra luggage. But I'm concerned about how I will carry all of my things: large backpack, large suitcase, and 30+ lb bike box. It sounds very hard to carry all of this through an airport and then take public transit or a taxi/Uber from the airport. Does anyone have experience with this and have any tips or advice?
Old 07-27-22, 06:19 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Thousands and thousands of people have done this. You'll figure it out. I've done it w/ multiple bikes, a tool box, and luggage. You wear the backpack, you pull the suitcase w/ one hand and drag the bike w/ the other...it's not rocket surgery.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 07-27-22, 06:30 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18395 Post(s)
Liked 15,469 Times in 7,310 Posts
Originally Posted by JessieB
Hi all! I'm moving overseas for 1 year, and I'm trying to decide how to transport my bike. The cheapest way seems to be to pack my bike in a cardboard box and take it on the plane as extra luggage. But I'm concerned about how I will carry all of my things: large backpack, large suitcase, and 30+ lb bike box. It sounds very hard to carry all of this through an airport and then take public transit or a taxi/Uber from the airport. Does anyone have experience with this and have any tips or advice?
For some bizarre reason, BF is making me quote the post in order to reply.

Anyway…Buy a reusable bike box with wheels or use a luggage cart.
Old 07-27-22, 06:59 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
just back from 10 days in Scotland with airplane, bus, train and bike travel.
once off the plane, travel was fairly easy. Seriously evaluate what you really need to take.
my partner and I didn't assemble our bikes at the airport, saw a couple doing so.
a large "trolly" or cart to get your stuff to a bus - reasonable space on the buses for your stuff.
same at the train stations and trains. however, be considerate if it is a peak volume train/bus - suggest waiting for the next.
No idea of your destination, airlines are packed and not always handling luggage and stuff well [lots of stories of lost luggage].
Last Thursday, A group of people at a table near us in a Glasgow hotel eatery had just received an email from their airline, that the airline was
only allowing carry on baggage.- they were going through Amsterdam to Italy - this appears to be constantly evolving.
if you take a helmet, that doesn't fit in your bike box - might wear it as a hat on the airplane. I did, don't worry about your looks.
WE got Covid during our travels, probably from the airport in Iceland - it was a true clustermuck of people sort of lining up at 3 adjacent gates in the space of one, we were masked as much as possible. My partner is already planning the next trip.
Old 07-27-22, 07:23 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
This is the way we have moved our bikes through airports several times. Most of the gear is put in an ultra light duffle bag and is checked baggage. The empty panniers go in the bike box, and valuable things like computers are carried on in the rack pack.

Even the large boxes that can be purchased at the Schiphol Airport in the Netherlands can be handled this way. Note the duffle bags on the baggage cart. They are made from very light material, and are carried in the bottom of a pannier during the tour. these pictures are on return flights with large boxes. It is a lot easier with the smaller boxes that you can get at bike shops.

This method also works on trains and buses where boxes are required. This is actually for a train trip in the US The box is checked baggage, the dufffle bag and Ortlieb Rack Pack are carried onto the train; for flying the duffle bag is checked baggage.

Last edited by Doug64; 07-27-22 at 10:33 PM.
Likes For Doug64:
Old 07-27-22, 07:24 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 327 Posts
Does anyone have experience with this and have any tips or advice?
Yes. I moved from England to Australia, and flew with my bike as luggage (plus a small suitcase, then a carry-on backpack). Here's a few tips:

- If you can, buy a proper bike bag / bike box that has WHEELS! This will make your life so much easier.
- Pack some stuff into the bike box, but be wary of airline weight limits. I threw in a track pump, tools, helmet, shoes, and some clothes.
- If you are an iPhone user, pop an AirTag into your bike box. It's a little peace of mind and fun to track your box.
- Your bike will likely go as "oversized" luggage and you'll need to drop off / pick up ad a different location to the usual bag drop. Factor in some additional time.
- Taxi at the other end, there should be a station wagon or SUV you can get. This might cost you extra, but you don't really have much choice.
- Taking a train or bus would be a giant pain. Do not recommend!
- As somebody has said above, really evaluate what you really need to take. Travel light.
Old 07-27-22, 08:04 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 399 Posts
When I moved to Japan I brought a large suitcase, a carry on bag, and my road bike in wheeled bike case. It was awkward to move around, flying from NYC to Vancouver, to Tokyo, but it was manageable. I bought the bike case used at a local bike shop.
Old 07-27-22, 09:13 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
What airport are you flying into?

Don't put anything extra in the bike box, except empty panniers. It makes it hard for the TSA folks do do their job, and may require pulling the bike out of the box to inspect it. However, tempocyclist's bike made through, but he did not have to go through TSA I've never had them pull the bikes out of the boxes.

Last edited by Doug64; 07-27-22 at 10:44 PM.
Old 07-28-22, 01:28 AM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
However, tempocyclist's bike made through, but he did not have to go through TSA I've never had them pull the bikes out of the boxes.
Good point! If flying in or out or through the USA, the TSA will likely open your box without you present. I've not flown via USA so it's been fine.
Old 07-28-22, 06:08 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I've bolded the hard part.

Few vehicles have the space for a huge cardboard bike box. Here are the ways I have managed that on overseas travel

1. Booked a station wagon or van in advance from a Limo type ride service
2. Schlepped the stuff thru public transport. Totally a bad idea. Tore rotator cuff doing that.
3. Checked the bike and went to my destination with just luggage. Returned to the airport. Built bike, disposed of box, rode to my destination.
4. I've rented a car with a large hatchback and a station wagon another time.
5. Use the Bike Friday foldable bike
6. What works in Europe is standing in the taxi line and waiting for a minivan or station wagon. It might take a few extra minutes but this has been my go to method of late.

Try to get your bike and stuff into the smallest box possible. I put rope around it to facilitate dragging. I put extra packing tape on the bottom to help it glide better. If Skycaps are there, I get them to bring me to check in and tip them appropriately. You used to be able to check the bike with them but I seem to recall last couple of time that this is not allowed.....I have a family member drop me right at the curb. Shipping a bike internationally costs a fortune, take it on the plane for sure. I pack the box right to the weight limit and often just have a small carry on but it depends on the nature of the trip
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 07-28-22, 08:43 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 483 Posts
I lived in Bermuda for two years. I packed my bike up plus a couple large bags. From the shuttle to the gate, someone loaded the box and bags, they received a tip.

Just like any other time you fly, they take your checked bags at ticketing, so then they transport it and all you carry is a small carry on.

Customs takes a wee bit longer but they don’t give two ***** about the bike. They’re way more interested in electronics and power tools in your stuff. I don’t think I even rented a cart, just slid the box on the floor to customs.

My new boss in Bermuda picked me up and I don’t remember having any trouble getting it and my bags in his small Fiat station wagon.

I did rent a cart on the way home, since DIA is pretty big.

Put a floor pump in the bike box. It’ll fit and is really nice to have.
Old 07-30-22, 09:55 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
I have flown internationally with bikes numerous times over the last 30 years at least twice a year. It is a lot easier now because it is becoming more common with the airlines. First, American airline carriers are some of the worst as far as fees and extra charges. I prefer non-US airlines for international flights as the service is better and the fees are much less. Sometimes no extra charge. They are also no worse or better than handling your luggage than other foreign airline companies.

I have used both soft sided, hard case, and bike boxes for packing my bikes. For soft sided bike cases I reinforced the case by cutting up a TV cardboard box and custom fitting it to the soft sided bike case. Works really well. The downside is that a lot of sift sided cases don't have wheels. This means lugging a bike case around which gets real old very fast if you have much of a hike between terminal counters. Try to find a trolley if that happens! An upside is it doesn't weigh as much so you can pack more gear into the case.

Hard sided cases work really well but are heavier which after you put the bike in plus the weight of the case puts you near the weight limit. Most come with wheels. Get one with four wheels with the rear wheels being stationary and the front wheels able to pivot or "steer". It is a lot easier to pull through the terminal and other places. With only two rear wheels you are stuck picking up the front and leading it but the weight is on you while you stll have other luggage, a carry on, and who knows what else.

Wheels. They are great for transporting your bike in the case. Unfortunately, they are the first thing to break many times. A broken wheel is almost always unreplaceable or too difficult to repair. Best to get a case where the wheels are somewhat recessed into the case. This leaves less exposure to getting banged up.

Packing. Duct tape is your friend! I use lots of bubble wrap and pipe insulation tubes. This works great for keeping the bike frame and components protected. For me, I never remove the RD and I've never had a problem. I use bubble wrap and split open a pipe insulation tube for added protection. I also duct tape the RD to the frame that is already wrapped in pipe insulation and bubblewrap over the pipe insulation. This has served me really well. I also leave the chain on, wrapped in newspaper and then bubblewrapped, but put it in the smallest ring up front and in the middle for the rear cassette. I use card board underneath the large ring if the ring rests on the bottom of the case. Don't need to do this if you have a case with interior frame hangers. I also recommend bubblewrapping or putting newspaper around the big ring up front and bubblewrapping the derailleur. I do this for any bike no matter if it is packed in a soft side or hard sided case.

Anyway, this is what I do and it works well for me. YMMV.
Old 07-31-22, 07:31 PM
JessieB

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you everyone for the helpful tips and advice! I ended up deciding just to leave my bike and buy one once I am abroad because I realized that the cost of having it as extra luggage on my flights will be more than the bike is worth (it's a vintage steel frame road bike). I'm sure I'll be flying with a bike in the future, though, so I appreciate everyone's tips!
Likes For JessieB:
Old 08-03-22, 01:09 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Thousands and thousands of people have done this. You'll figure it out. I've done it w/ multiple bikes, a tool box, and luggage. You wear the backpack, you pull the suitcase w/ one hand and drag the bike w/ the other...it's not rocket surgery.
And most airports have carts!

When you get to your destination, you might have to take a cab instead of public transportation, and a station wagon or van at that. But like he said, it's done thousands of times every day.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 08-03-22, 04:42 AM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 399 Posts
When leaving Honolulu to return to Japan with my new-used mountain bike, I went to an LBS called “The Bike Factory” to buy a travel bag or case. They didn’t have any on hand, so they let me have a bike box from the back. This did the job. Though it wasn’t so easy to move around, it had reinforced hand holds on both sides. When I got to the airport, I had to pay $6 for a luggage cart, which was annoying as they are free in Japan. Getting to the airport I requested the taxi company send a mini-van, in Tokyo getting another mine van taxi was a breeze.

Make sure the check with the airline about the size and weight limits, and find the smallest box you can get your bike into.
Old 08-03-22, 09:45 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
When I got to the airport, I had to pay $6 for a luggage cart, which was annoying as they are free in Japan.
I've noticed that a lot of US airports you have to pay for a trolley whereas in Asia they are all free and yes, it is annoying to have to pay for the use of it when accustomed to having them for free.