Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Long Tail Cargo bike from a Schwinn Twinn???

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Old 08-09-22, 03:51 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts

I have been wanting to build a cargo bike for some time now. On my local Craigslist there was a Schwinn Twinn listed for way too much money, but it got me thinking.

It has the long wheelbase. It is kind of already set up for a long tail bike. Of course, I would upgrade some of the components to make it work better as a modern cargo bike, but I think the frame could work.

The seat post and the rear handlebar stem can be used for rack mounting.

The excellent starting picture credit goes to the Budget Bike Center. I used Paint software to turn it into a long tail.

Is this a viable way to a home built long tail?
Old 08-14-22, 05:49 AM
brianinc-ville

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
There have been a lot of threads on this topic: https://www.google.com/search?q=tand...&bih=763&dpr=2

Good luck!
Old 08-14-22, 10:09 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
Thanks @brianinc-ville you are right. I should have done more research before posting.

I am thinking that if I can get a tandem for around $100 that is solid and worthy, then building it up to a long tail cargo bike might be within financial reach. I would like to fabricate a XtraCycle style rack system. I would like to do it in a way that I can always return it to a Schwinn Twinn. I don't know why. There is no logical reason for this. I would prefer everything be bolt on. I have five attachment points in mind. They are as follows:1. Rear dropout eyelets left side, 2. Rear dropout right side, 3. Seat post, 4. Stroker's stem with a cut bar mounted attached on the left end and, 5 Stroker's bar mount right side. I figure this should be pretty sturdy depending, of course, on how well the rack is made and the materials used.

I thought someone would tell me not to start with a Schwinn Twinn because they are too heavy to start with. The problem, so far, is that other tandems are far more money. Even Schwinn Twinns go for what I think are crazy money. $400!?? One factor in my favor is that I live on the south shore of Long Island so any cargo runs will be relatively flat. I might even get by with a three speed.

On the other hand, my preference would be for something like Bilenky's Chuckwagon cargo bike, if I could swing copying that in some way. Start with a rear triangle and build forward. We will see how things go.
Old 10-12-22, 05:42 PM
Daveysprockets1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
Tandem cargo bike

I think that is a great idea especially with what gas prices are doing lately so, I have been working on the same type of project and with a fold down platform so I can haul a bicycle frame or complete bicycle in a bicycle Box to fedex.... Just be patient and wait, a tandem will come around at an affordable price, I bought a trek Fast track tandem the other day for 300 bucks and last Saturday a cheaper tandem for 40 bucks at a garage sale ! Check out on youtube a vid called "Ultimate tandem cargo bike" the guy built an awesome attachment for tandems...it's amazing but his website is gone and he is nowhere to be found...like the comments in the video suggest ...maybe Xtracycle paid him 5 million to walk away
Old 10-13-22, 12:58 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
I converted a Recumbent BikeE2 tandem into a cargo bike. Since the frame is basically a stick there was very little customization needed and it it can be converted back into a tandem within minutes. I now need to find a good source to electrify the bike. I want to add a 500-750W motor in the rear wheel. When loaded the bike is heavy going uphill.
Likes For Harhir: