Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

chip seal, no seal, from Ximeno south on PCH

Notices
Southern California Southern California

Old 08-12-22, 02:02 PM
marquhar

Bikes: 2008 Motobecane Immortal Force

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

In early June,
I was riding from Ximeno towards Marina Pacifica on PCH on what seemed like new chip seal, or rubberized asphalt, but it was missing the sealant. The ride was extremely rough, slowing me down to 15 MPH or less.

Is this still the case? Will they ever add the sealant and smooth it out?
Paging Long Beach Bike Ambassador!
Old 08-12-22, 09:57 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
have ridden through there a few times in the last three months but always either on the beachfront bike path and contacting pch
at the bridge on the south end of long beach just before seal beach or on the pch sector south of the va hospital to seal beach.
don't remember any difficult stretches pavement-wise. it's been probably two years since hitting the majority of ocean blvd to the
ximeno/belmont shores area without any oceanfront, bike path interaction. may hafta check out this coming week tho. was planning
on another south bay/peevee ride but maybe the start/end point will be in lb. it would save 45-50 mins of driving.

any stretch of pch between lax area to the north and seal beach to the south is an advanced masterclass in taking the lane, glancing back and setting drivers on
"chill out" mode, a million biz entry/exit driveways, bleep pavement, leapfrogging busses/trucks w/trailers, fast/aggressive traffic, parked cars on certain days/times in travel lanes and sketchy peds/scooters/e-bikers/other cyclists. it's a real-life video game. if you're able to ride that, you can ride anywhere.

Last edited by diphthong; 08-12-22 at 10:18 PM.
Old 08-13-22, 07:33 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
The section of PCH i.e. Ximeno to Marina Pacifica is pretty much open and not like going through LB (which I wouldn't do). I didn't ride but I did drive that section recently and I don't remember seeing anything that would have kept me off of it or caught my attention (This was about the same time you mentioned). It's a little out of my way but if I get a chance to steer me towards that area I'll report back.