Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

My last "before work" bike ride

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-22, 09:59 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts

For the last 22 years I've had a job that involved a pretty crappy commute; 57 miles each way into Silicon Valley. This has meant long days leaving early in the morning and getting home late. To get in some riding during the week, I've been getting up early and getting in short rides before getting ready for work. Started doing this about 7 years ago and have been doing it year round 3-4 days a week. Generally 14-22 miles depending on the season and how early I got up, which could be as early as 4:15. Not really all that enjoyable but helped keep me in reasonable shape for longer weekend rides.

I will be officially retired after today so this morning was my last early AM ride. I'll have a lot more flexibility now as to when/where I ride and hope to enjoy it more. Will not miss all the driving that's for sure.
Old 09-02-22, 10:05 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Congratulations! Coincidentally, today is my last commute as well after 26.5 years serving the State of California.
Old 09-02-22, 10:09 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
this is/was a long commute. i lived in the bay area and commuted to work as well. don't miss it at all, moved to reno and work is 6 miles away. i often bike it in the warmer months like now. yesterday i was trying a new route home, really great additions to my usual route but had a flat, replaced tube, frame pump broke. got out cell for the call of shame and no cell service, nice! eventually i walked to a place were service was availabb.e.
Old 09-02-22, 10:20 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 987 Posts
Congradulations! I retired three weeks ago. I was just short of 65 yo but was still covered by the company's health plan until December, so off I went. New management that came on board just before the COVID pandemic spent all their time in management seminars and this year started implementing all kinds of new 'improvement teams', 'quality' initiatives, and lots and lots of software to track 'analytics'. Nope, been there before back in the 1980s, its just the same management philisophy rebranded under a new name, and I don't want all that bureaucratic burden it dumps on mid-management like me, so its was a good time to go. The biggest bureaucratic burden I have now is trying to decipher Medicare and all the available plans & plan options.

And it's nice being able to get out and ride at sunrise rather than in the pre-dawn hours like you did.
Likes For skidder:
Old 09-02-22, 12:34 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts
Like you, I had a 60 mile commute each way to work. Miles rack up on your car pretty quickly doing that. The only saving grace was that I was driving a company car, and got a new one every 5000 miles.
I don't miss the long commute (especially during the New England winters) but I sorta miss the free car.
And, now that I'm retired, I don't miss the New England winters, either!
Old 09-02-22, 07:49 PM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 78 Posts
Congratulations on your retirement.

I wanted to share one thing I wished I had done during my w*rking life with my 30 mile commute. Since we had a great fitness area with shower, I easily could have parked on my way to work and put in some miles b4 and after. But I only considered riding the entire way which I only did on BTWD. I was running then but the morning and afternoon ride would have been great.

A missed opportunity. No problems like that in retirement.
Old 09-02-22, 09:44 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
Congratulations you guys. Started commuting when my garbage route went from backyard service to automated. It probably saved my health. I was lucky to get a call from a retired coworker of my wife that had a group of retired guys that did coffee rides a couple of days a week. Still going at it...have fun!
Old 09-02-22, 10:39 PM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 60 Posts
Congratulations on your retirement, and welcome to the club.
Old 09-03-22, 08:15 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
Retired back in 2014. Thought I was going to go stir crazy and took a job at a local box store. Since I had owned my own business for over 30 years, seeing the illogical placement of personnel at the store and the "sell them something and move them out" attitude I quit after 4 months. Got back into riding and have not looked back. My wife has enough for me to do along with my other interests so life has been good. Congratulations on your retirement and I hope you have many years of well-earned time to enjoy your life.
Frank.
Old 09-03-22, 02:26 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1827 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,573 Posts
I had the luxury of a decent bike commute for the last 17 years of my working life. It sure beat driving to work and dealing with traffic, and I loved it! A quick 5 miles to work in the morning, and a longer scenic route home.

I've been retired about 6 years, and I do miss some aspects of the job. I knew I'd miss the commute, so I took a picture as I locked up the bike on my last commuting day. I think it rained that evening on the way home.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 09-03-22, 06:38 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 403 Posts
I used to get up early and do 20 mile ride before work each morning. Then I started simply commuting to and from work, which was 22 miles each way. But I began working from home 7 years ago, and my commute is now only a few steps each day.
Old 09-03-22, 08:30 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
congrats Ogsarg and caloso !! expecting buku mas pics on the empty road ahead thread in the road cycling sub-forum...
Old 09-04-22, 10:34 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Congratulations. Now you can get on the road after 9am and bike the 57 miles to work because you want to, not because you have to.
Old 09-04-22, 11:04 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 84 Posts
Congratulations on your retirement! I am going to join that club in 3 weeks(Sept 22nd is my last day). I have been very fortunate though, I have been able to commute the 6 miles to work and 10 to 15 mile ride home for the last 10 years. I will contiune to ride into my retirement as that is my happy place.
Likes For essiemyra:
Old 09-04-22, 03:19 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
Congratulations on retiring and won't deny saying I'm not jealous. I have a few years to go before I can comfortably retire but sure see the light at the end of the tunnel. Some days I think screw it, I'll live in a tent for the rest of my life as it would be better than putting up with the BS at the office but my wife doesn't like the idea of that.

Will say that there's one positive thing at least that came out of the pandemic was for organizations to realize and accept that workers can work from home and still be productive. I haven't had to make the lousy commute I used to do every day since and that gives me back several more hours in the day which i use to ride.