Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Aero Helmet Thoughts

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Aero Helmet Thoughts

Old 12-11-20, 03:27 PM
kosmo886

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Aero Helmet Thoughts

Looking for xmas upgrades. Is it worth it? Looking at the Giro Aether right now. Added safety features are certainly a plus, but also looking to get any aero benefits. Any idea how this one ranks or an alternative helmet that is good for a non professional racer...ie. needs to be comfortable! Keep hearing about the advantages of an aero helmet so curious on thoughts. Thanks
Old 12-11-20, 04:21 PM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 61 Posts
I went down the same rabbit hole earlier in the year.

There is some wattage savings but honestly, an aero helmet provides marginal gains. Learning to ride in the drops or the aero position more often would net more gains. Specialized and GCN has some YouTube videos exploring these topics.

I personally bought a Limar Air Speed and enjoy it more for the features than the aero gains. It has a sunglass dock, magnetic buckle and since it has less vents, keeps the noggin a bit warmer on early morning rides.

If you just want an excuse to upgrade or treat yourself, find something that fits, looks good and makes you feel better about riding. Whatever keeps you happy out on the road.
Likes For oris:
Old 12-11-20, 04:41 PM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 286 Times in 136 Posts
My wife has 2 of these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083KB6ZLQ...ing=UTF8&psc=1 which allow her to hit 11

Old 12-11-20, 04:53 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
I sweat a lot and the bulk of my riding is in hot weather that some won't even go outside to ride in. So airflow over aero will be for me. The Giro Aether seems to have plenty of airflow and was on my short list before choosing a Specialized S-Works Prevail II.

But if you already have a good helmet for general riding, you can certainly get the aero helmets like the serious TT guys use. Then when it's not sweltering outside you can see what it does for your times.

If you don't see much difference in your data, you can console yourself by remembering that cooler drier air is denser than hot moist air.
Old 12-11-20, 05:09 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4258 Post(s)
Liked 2,934 Times in 1,809 Posts
When I crashed in October, I damaged my Giro Synthe MIPS, but escaped any head injuries. That gave me continued positive vibes about Giro helmets. Combined with the fact that Giro offered a 30% discount on any helmet as a crash replacement, I went with a Giro Vanquish MIPS. Its ventilation is probably not the best, and this test says it's not as aero as others in its class, but I like the visor. I haven't seen direct comparisons about the net power savings of helmets with visors, but I' sure it's beaucoup watts (jk).

Truly? I doubt that an aero helmet makes much of a difference, but what the heck, right?
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 12-11-20, 07:12 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Truly? I doubt that an aero helmet makes much of a difference, but what the heck, right?
A truly aero TT helmet gives a huge benefit, but I haven't seen a recent test done with aero road style helmets.
Old 12-11-20, 07:21 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4258 Post(s)
Liked 2,934 Times in 1,809 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
A truly aero TT helmet gives a huge benefit, but I haven't seen a recent test done with aero road style helmets.
the link I posted has one. Can't vouch for it's applicability to the road, though. Also, GCN has a wind tunnel video somewhere. And I think Specialized does too.
Old 12-11-20, 07:38 PM
rower2cyclist

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 35 Posts
Get the Aether. I have Synthe and been waiting for a decent deal in the colors I want. My Synthe fits like a glove.

Just like Minnman I crashed my bike in Sept 2018 and they gave me 30% discount for a new helmet. However, the deal was for most helmets excluding the Aether if you are in the US. I guess they don't like giving out the good stuff for cheap.

I also purchased a Bontrager Ballista last year but never liked the fit. Maybe Giro's MIPS system is a better fit for my head shape. It's also heavier than my Synthe. Maybe that's one reason I never really liked it.
Old 12-11-20, 08:27 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
I wouldn't call the Aether an aero helmet. A real aero road helmet, like the Specialized Evade can be worth around 10 watts over a traditional road helmet. A full TT helmet would be more, but not very practical for everyday use. As mentioned, your position, and your clothing, are worth more as far as aero goes.

If you're racing, then go for the fastest helmet, if you're just riding, then comfort and fit is the most important thing, and that's a very personal thing, like saddles, just have to see what works for you.
Old 12-11-20, 10:47 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Check out MET helmets too. A couple of their vented roadie type helmets have been rated well for aero, although I don't recall how they were tested -- wind tunnel, computer modeling, or on the track. I've read and watched so many helmet reviews they all blur together after awhile.

I have a knockoff of the older Giro Air Attack, including the visor, with the addition of a cover that snaps into the tiny vents. Along with an aero jersey (not a skin suit) it's good for a 1 mph speed boost on my usual 20-30 mile workout route, which I've ridden so often I know the effects of every bit of wind. That's on a conventional road bike, not a TT/tri bike or clip-on aero bars. I mostly ride the hoods, forearms as close as possible to parallel with the ground, the usual aero tricks for road bikes.

But I don't wear that helmet often. The harness and strap aren't as comfortable as my vented helmets so I wear it only when I'm feeling strong enough to seriously tackle a PR on a couple of familiar 5-6 mile time trial segments.

Due to chronic neck pain and stiffness from injuries I wouldn't get much use from a full blown TT helmet. My head is up and down, stretching side to side, etc., often during rides to prevent neck spasms so the tail/fin of a full aero helmet would just be catching air. The rounded sorta-aero helmets seem more forgiving of less than optimal head/neck alignment.
Old 12-11-20, 11:42 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1725 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
Good question about the benefit of aero helmet vs. cost. Our shop did some real world testing of aero helmets. We found, regardless of brand or model, the aero helmet provided zero benefit in a 15 mile time trial. Aero wheels made a very big difference on the same course and it was determined that after one invests in wheels, then the other stuff like aero helmet, skin suit, etc. are next. Wheels should be first on the aero list for easily recognized gains.
Old 12-12-20, 05:28 AM
kosmo886

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Good question about the benefit of aero helmet vs. cost. Our shop did some real world testing of aero helmets. We found, regardless of brand or model, the aero helmet provided zero benefit in a 15 mile time trial. Aero wheels made a very big difference on the same course and it was determined that after one invests in wheels, then the other stuff like aero helmet, skin suit, etc. are next. Wheels should be first on the aero list for easily recognized gains.
Interesting comment as I've often heard wheels and helmet are equivalent benefits. I needed wheels anyways, so went with aero wheels (Syncros Capital 1.0 50 Disc) and noticed no difference between those and the carbon gravel wheels that came on my bike. Not scientific testing, but over many rides, speed seemed about the same. This is on 25-30 mile rides at somewhere between 19.5-20mph average ride speed. Only other consideration is I got the wheels as the weather got colder so not sure if air/temp difference perhaps counteracted the aero benefits.
Old 12-12-20, 07:30 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
The other aero helmet benefit is keeping your head warmer in winter months.
I've seen the Giro Aether recommendations, but the Giro quasi-aero helmet I believe is the Vanquish.
Comp Cyclist has some good discounting at the moment on the Oakley Aro 5 which is another aero-ish type. FYI, the Aro7 (true aero helmet) is $500 at the same store.

If you're looking for a full TT style helmet, Sierra curiously has one of these on deep discount, but just in Medium:
https://www.sierra.com/smith-podium-...reviewsSection
Old 12-12-20, 07:37 AM
kosmo886

What about the Specialized Evade?
Old 12-12-20, 08:24 AM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 263 Posts
Good question about the benefit of aero helmet vs. cost. Our shop did some real world testing of aero helmets. We found, regardless of brand or model, the aero helmet provided zero benefit in a 15 mile time trial.
Which says little about aero helmets, but a lot about the quality of your testing.
Old 12-12-20, 11:23 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by kosmo886
What about the Specialized Evade?
Mentioned above twice. I have one it was supposed to be the most aero
at the time I bought it. Not the coolest of course but I survived up to 102
this summer, I'm uncomfortable over 95 and this was no exception. Like the
mag buckle, don't care about crash reporting. The clear coat peeled at about
3 mo. I should have taken it back.
Old 12-12-20, 12:00 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Yeah, I'm sure that was a real robust test.

And tires/tubes make a bigger difference on speed than wheels. Just saying. Plus, seeing as how wheels are significantly more expensive than just about everything else, I'd put them way further down on the list for performance vs. $.

Bang for the buck:

1: tires/tubes
2: parts that will improve position (shorter cranks, narrow bars, longer stem)
3: clothing
4: helmet
5: wheels
Old 12-12-20, 01:02 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I picked up a Giro Air Attack when they were discontinued, & it makes a noticeable difference at faster speeds.

It's nice in the winter for cold & rain, & OK in the heat, but also 100g heavier (than Giro Prolight), which makes a difference to the neck on long rides.

So IMO, it's worth it, but keep an eye on the weight- some of them are bricks!
Old 12-12-20, 03:55 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1725 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
We found a 2mph increase in speed over the 15 mile course. It is a regular course that is ridden by all of us on a weekly basis as a time trial, thus we were all familiar with it. Held on same day for the helmet test and same day for wheel test between three of us, each wearing a different helmet, but using the exact same wheel set and tires. Wind conditions are almost always the same from week to week. It was as controlled a test as we could get. No kidding, the helmet did not help with reducing time over the course. The wheels without question did.
Old 12-12-20, 04:08 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
We found a 2mph increase in speed over the 15 mile course. It is a regular course that is ridden by all of us on a weekly basis as a time trial, thus we were all familiar with it. Held on same day for the helmet test and same day for wheel test between three of us, each wearing a different helmet, but using the exact same wheel set and tires. Wind conditions are almost always the same from week to week. It was as controlled a test as we could get. No kidding, the helmet did not help with reducing time over the course. The wheels without question did.
If that's supposed to be convincing, it's anything but.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 12-12-20, 04:57 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Lol.

No.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 12-12-20, 06:03 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Maybe that included putting air in the tires for the faster run.
Old 12-12-20, 08:05 PM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
I like the quasi-aero helmets for a different reason: wind noise. The less turbulence around your head, the quieter the ride.
Old 12-12-20, 10:08 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Ditto, tires and tubes. Most effective change I've made, besides better tires, was latex tubes for my wheels with older rims that aren't easily set up for tubeless. Latex tubes aren't nearly as fussy as I'd heard. Just takes a little extra care in rim prep and mounting but they work great.

And bike fit. My lightest road bike is also my slowest because I don't yet have the fit dialed in. I can't do 175 cranks anymore but that Ultegra crankset won't be cheap to replace with the 170 or 172.5 cranks I use on my other bikes. I do just as well on my heavier old steel bike mostly because the fit is perfect.
Old 12-13-20, 03:08 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 1,122 Times in 482 Posts
We found a 2mph increase in speed over the 15 mile course.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.