Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Why are bicycle tires so expensive?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Why are bicycle tires so expensive?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-21, 04:48 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
gads, that would buy me soooo many Compass René Herse tires!!

It's just a VW product, how hard can it be to change the oil? Sure, there are 16 drain plugs and you have to take some of the body panels off, but still. I did the oil in two engines and a transmission last Saturday afternoon. Took 2 hours and I was taking my sweet time, having a beer while I was at it. If I were required to do that 7 more times plus change a few fenders without scratching them, no sweat! Gimme 7 more beers, that's two four-packs. I don't think my car even cost that much new! I am beginning to get the feeling that I am in the wrong business!

Makes you wonder how much an hour the grease monkey in the Bugatti shop makes...
The transaxle, differential fluid change in an Audi S4.... stupid money. It is essentially a powerflush with very expensive fluid.
The Germans are diabolical. I'm sure on purpose.
Old 04-19-21, 05:05 PM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
$437ea. for my Dodge. Eh.
Old 04-19-21, 06:57 PM
StillBiking@71

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2, Trek Singletrak, Cannondale 500, 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
How about Continental Grand Sports for $24.99 at CompetitiveCyclist.com? Most of their Continental and Vittoria tires are under $50. Gatorskins are $38.97, GP5000s are $56, Check it out.
Likes For StillBiking@71:
Old 04-19-21, 07:35 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 1,406 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
was all for the pleasure of working on them....no?

I have potential clients arrive with 7 figure vehicles. for big jobs the price goes up, why? because I will need to upgrade my insurance for that one.
Young. Just out of school. Working 4 jobs, all of which suck. I was your archetypical gen x slacker. Did that for 15 months before I got a "real" job. I wonder what things would be like if I didn't accept that job. Certainly I wouldn't be wasting my time here.
Likes For iab:
Old 04-19-21, 10:24 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Young. Just out of school. Working 4 jobs, all of which suck. I was your archetypical gen x slacker. Did that for 15 months before I got a "real" job. I wonder what things would be like if I didn't accept that job. Certainly I wouldn't be wasting my time here.
when I applied for a Visa card at 18, I could truthfully submit I had the same employer for four years. Card approved. Then, within the next few months, got a higher paying job scooping ice cream. Gobsmacked the bike shop owners. I ended up with both jobs after a $1.50 per hour raise from the bike shop - they asked why I did not quit the ice cream store, “ well, the co- workers are cuter there”.
Likes For repechage:
Old 04-20-21, 06:28 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Years ago a freelance mechanic lived a couple doors down. One day I stopped by, she had an Audi (or maybe a VW) in for something simple way up front -- radiator hose, maybe just a coolant flush, some such. She had to loosen (just enough) a bunch of bolts and slide (just enough) the whole front clip forward a few inches just to gain access. Took a while, but it eventually dawned on me -- why didn't they just make the front end that long in the first place?

Took a while longer, but then it hit me -- of course, function is now the slave to form.
Old 04-20-21, 12:31 PM
sunburst

Bikes: Giant, Peugeots, Motobecanes, Kona, Specialized, Bike Friday, Ironhorse, Royal Scot, Schwinns

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by WGB
randyjawa
Randy,
Any place you know of with good quality 27 inch tires in Canada?? Don't have at Canadian Tire/Walmart, etc.
I have a Centurion with older rubber and can't replace the tires it has now. Ordering from out of Canada means shipping which adds cost and wait time.
I bought 3 of these at Walmart a few months ago for $8.95 each. Sure wish I had bought more! Don't know how/why they went to $22.33. Amazon sells them too. Prices fluctuate based on supply/demand on both sites so I'm hoping to get more at the lower price. They are good for the 70's era bikes I tend to restore. Lots of rubber, good thread pattern, and an anti-puncture belt. Lots of complaints about hard to mount, but I've mounted worse.
Bell Air Guard

My favorite inexpensive 27" is the Schwalbe HS159. I've bought 3 sets now. Lighter weight and lower price than the Marathon (I've got two sets of these).
schwalbe hs159
Old 04-20-21, 12:34 PM
sunburst

Bikes: Giant, Peugeots, Motobecanes, Kona, Specialized, Bike Friday, Ironhorse, Royal Scot, Schwinns

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 51 Posts
btw, if anyone sees a decent sale on Michelin Pro4 700x28, please quote this post so I'll get a notification. I've got a newish set of 700x25 on my road bike but want to go wider on the rear.

Bob
Old 04-20-21, 08:31 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
I know how late I am to this argument, But....................we're all idiots. Complete idiots. Oh well. That's it. That's all. Done deal...............................................
Old 04-20-21, 08:58 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
just a buncha cosmic clowns at the cosmic fair grounds.....whoohoo
Old 04-21-21, 08:05 AM
acm

Bikes: '84 Centurion Pro Tour 15; '97 Cannondale M900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Insidious C.
At least you can still buy nice tires. Need a C&V appropriate rim to go with that tire? Set expectation level = low.
I hear that! I've been waiting close to five months for some rims I ordered thru LBS to build around my old hubs. 36h front 40h rear, in silver. The 700c conversion I had planned to be done by this spring might be done by next spring, if I'm lucky.
Likes For acm:
Old 04-21-21, 10:58 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 846 Times in 410 Posts
Strangely, I've never been barreling down a hill at 45mph thinking "wow, I wish I had bought the cheap tires..."
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 04-21-21, 11:56 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,820 Times in 1,540 Posts
The transaxle, differential fluid change in an Audi S4.... stupid money. It is essentially a powerflush with very expensive fluid.
but you love how it drives what got me was $600 to replace a battery on my A4 (six speed quattro thank you) as you have to code the battery to the car

Old 04-21-21, 03:44 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
My brother had an AWD Passat wagon (I think). I remember driving it thinking “what a POS.” Handled funny, wore the tires out funny. Cat went out and it was cheaper to get rid of the car.
Then he got an A8. Drove it for awhile. Some kind of problem with center injection. Warranty covered it. He knew where this was going so he traded it in before warranty expired.

My thoughts on modern German cars?

Greater than Honda or Toyota prices. Dodge reliability/durability. But hey! As long as they look cool and the body panels fit tight, right?

Drove some new smaller Mercedes off the ship a couple years ago. Weird cars. Fancy badges and trim, but a cheaper ride quality than a Corolla or Subaru. Could never figure out how to get the seat adjusted back. Turns out they were made in Mexico by Oompa Loompas (or maybe child labor).
Old 04-21-21, 03:57 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Originally Posted by squirtdad
but you love how it drives what got me was $600 to replace a battery on my A4 (six speed quattro thank you) as you have to code the battery to the car
It’s the tires. Everything drives better because tires are so much better than 20-30 years ago.

Drive any other car with similar hp/wheelbase/and cog... it might have less road noise or a different steering ratio or whatever, but I don’t know how much of a quantifiable difference without doing something like autocross and driving the **** out of it.

In my brothers defense, around the time he sold his R6 he was like “I don’t understand waiting until I’m to old and my reflexes are to slow to drive the **** out of a fast car.” That was a fair enough statement.
Old 04-21-21, 04:06 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Originally Posted by madpogue
Years ago a freelance mechanic lived a couple doors down. One day I stopped by, she had an Audi (or maybe a VW) in for something simple way up front -- radiator hose, maybe just a coolant flush, some such. She had to loosen (just enough) a bunch of bolts and slide (just enough) the whole front clip forward a few inches just to gain access. Took a while, but it eventually dawned on me -- why didn't they just make the front end that long in the first place?

Took a while longer, but then it hit me -- of course, function is now the slave to form.
YES YES YES. But has been for a while, and we are all a little guilty.

Are all the curves on a tri 5 Chevy helpful for function? Are K cars probably the ugliest cars ever?
If it was all function, keep figuring out how to make a Kcar cheaper and cheaper, and more and more reliable and durable.

My guess is it takes 250-300,000 miles for the mpg of the fancier, rounded, DGI newer car to make the difference through MPG in total cost ownership.
Old 04-21-21, 07:07 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Michelin makes a cheap tire called " Dynamic Sport" that's basically a racing slick. You can get them for about $20 or $30 on sale. I've used them on a couple of bikes and, they're excellent. Fast and smooth. I will only use them for track bikes on smooth pavement. Beware using these fine tires out on the highway. One little piece of glass or steel will blow everything to h__l and leave you cussing. (Better get Continental Gatorskins). Be good. Have fun.
Old 04-22-21, 04:41 AM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
They're tied to the gasoline price biorhythm.
Old 04-22-21, 05:40 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz
My brother had an AWD Passat wagon (I think). I remember driving it thinking “what a POS.” Handled funny, wore the tires out funny. Cat went out and it was cheaper to get rid of the car.
Then he got an A8. Drove it for awhile. Some kind of problem with center injection. Warranty covered it. He knew where this was going so he traded it in before warranty expired.

My thoughts on modern German cars?

Greater than Honda or Toyota prices. Dodge reliability/durability. But hey! As long as they look cool and the body panels fit tight, right?

Drove some new smaller Mercedes off the ship a couple years ago. Weird cars. Fancy badges and trim, but a cheaper ride quality than a Corolla or Subaru. Could never figure out how to get the seat adjusted back. Turns out they were made in Mexico by Oompa Loompas (or maybe child labor).
The problem with virtually all German cars sold in the US is that they were made in the US or North America. And most modern American car makers don't have the greatest track record for reliability or quality. Might be a management thing with a tendency to keep prices as low as possible as their primary concern.
But let's be honest, cars sold to a pricepoint are probably comparable in quality unless they can source their parts cheaper for some reason. Add to that the fact that a lot of parts have to be imported when they wear out and you get to an expensive vehicle to ride over its lifetime.

I still think one of the nicer cars I have driven in the US was a Hyundai Sonata.
Big sedan, plenty of trunk space and pretty sporty if you wanted to. Then again, it had a 2.0 or 2.4 Liter, 4 cilinder engine so it better perform well.
Decent mileage by American standards but I wouldn't drive this in the Netherlands with fuel prices at €1.85/L ($8.44/gal).

Last edited by JaccoW; 04-22-21 at 05:49 AM.
Old 04-22-21, 06:16 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1947 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
Hand Made.
Old 04-22-21, 01:35 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

I wonder if it isn’t tires going up, rather fiat currencies losing value.
Old 04-22-21, 01:42 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Originally Posted by JaccoW
The problem with virtually all German cars sold in the US is that they were made in the US or North America. And most modern American car makers don't have the greatest track record for reliability or quality. Might be a management thing with a tendency to keep prices as low as possible as their primary concern.
But let's be honest, cars sold to a pricepoint are probably comparable in quality unless they can source their parts cheaper for some reason. Add to that the fact that a lot of parts have to be imported when they wear out and you get to an expensive vehicle to ride over its lifetime.

I still think one of the nicer cars I have driven in the US was a Hyundai Sonata.
Big sedan, plenty of trunk space and pretty sporty if you wanted to. Then again, it had a 2.0 or 2.4 Liter, 4 cilinder engine so it better perform well.
Decent mileage by American standards but I wouldn't drive this in the Netherlands with fuel prices at €1.85/L ($8.44/gal).
Do you live in the city or country? If I lived in the city, I’m not positive I would even own a car. Never been to Rotterdam. Been to Amsterdam twice, interesting place, would go again. Definitely a city laid out before automobiles.

My in laws went on some European trip to visit friends. I recommended renting a car only for the days they were visiting rural friends (a cab would work just fine). They didn’t listen, came back super early and frustrated.
Old 04-22-21, 02:16 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
I don’t buy cheap tires for my car or my bike.

Last edited by Germany_chris; 04-23-21 at 02:17 PM.
Old 04-22-21, 02:43 PM
robertj298 

Bikes: 1983 Univega Super Strada, 1986 Panasonic DX5000, 1984 Fuji Team 85 Univega Gran Turismo, 1984 Lotus Unique, 1987 Centurion Expert, 1987 Centurion Ironman Master,

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW

Most Japanese cars are made in the US and their track record isn't too shabby when it comes to quality and reliability.
Old 04-22-21, 05:19 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz
Do you live in the city or country? If I lived in the city, I’m not positive I would even own a car. Never been to Rotterdam. Been to Amsterdam twice, interesting place, would go again. Definitely a city laid out before automobiles.

My in laws went on some European trip to visit friends. I recommended renting a car only for the days they were visiting rural friends (a cab would work just fine). They didn’t listen, came back super early and frustrated.
I live in Rotterdam just outside the city center but still in an area where most buildings are 3-5 stories high. It's one of the more car-centric cities in the Netherlands but that has been changing in the past decades too.
Whenever I really need a car I will rent one but other than that I have a metro, tram, train station and plenty of cycle paths nearby to get me around the country. It's one of the more expensive places to own a car and I will need a permit to park a car around here. It just doesn't make sense.
Doesn't mean I don't like driving one though. But I will reserver that for vacations.

Now I'm curious, where did they go to? What were they frustrated about?
I think a lot of people that have never been to Europe underestimate the difference between distance and travel time, especially by car. And then we are even forgetting about parking.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.