Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

New Stove

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

New Stove

Old 09-14-21, 07:27 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I haven't owned or used a Dragonfly. I know that people complain about the Whisperlite and the Svea123 though which I find quite pleasant. I guess maybe the Dragonfly is much louder. I just have a hard time imagining noise being a major deal. Then again as I said I haven't used a Dragonfly. Maybe, it would annoy me too. Otoh, I sleep fine next to the highway or railroad tracks where folks say the noise keeps them up all night. I read about places where people say it was impossible to sleep and remember sleeping like a baby there. So maybe I am just pretty tolerant about noise
Continuing the plane analogy, a Whisperlite (clue in the name) and a 123 would be a Cessna, a Dragonfly is a B52 taking off fully loaded. If you are in a small room with one going full noise, you have to shout, but your coffee will be ready in a minute.
Likes For Trevtassie:
Old 09-14-21, 07:58 AM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
My MSR Dragonfly worked flawlessly this morning and evening. Boiled water for coffee in a few minutes without it being on high to keep the noise down.
I switched to a Dragonfly last year because our venerable 35 year old Peak 1 (which could nicely simmer) finally bit the dust. I overall very much like the dragonfly... great simmer, large pot base. However, one thing I find peculiar is that after I pump it, I must be somewhat careful not to touch the main pump cap else it may leak. The top is a bit flexible since it is the "o-ring" that holds the pressure. I am ok with it now, having learned not to touch it. Is this common or is my tank cap in the pump perhaps defective?
Thanks for the input.
Old 09-14-21, 11:13 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
Hailing from the Great Plains...

...I've always wondered how those backpacking/cycletouring no-need-to-bring-fuel 'wood' burning stoves would work with buffalo (cow) chips?

I don't doubt there's youtube or crazy guy that explores this and I just haven't entered the correct search terms yet.

Off the top of my head I think this is a horses-for-courses mismatch. I could be wrong.
Old 09-14-21, 11:27 AM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 260 Posts
...I've always wondered how those backpacking/cycletouring no-need-to-bring-fuel 'wood' burning stoves would work with buffalo (cow) chips?

I don't doubt there's youtube or crazy guy that explores this and I just haven't entered the correct search terms yet.

Off the top of my head I think this is a horses-for-courses mismatch. I could be wrong.
I believe the Sierra and the Bio lite stoves will burn the patties due to the electric fans in them.
Likes For Rick:
Old 09-14-21, 06:28 PM
Cyclist0105
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie
The Dragonfly is pretty damn loud on high, and pretty damn hot. I once pumped one right up and used it to boil 12L (4 gallons) of water, didn't take long, but sounded like a small jet plane taking off.
I have used MRS Dragonfly extensively with K1 Kerosene, and use denatured alcohol to "PRIME" the stove to gassify the kerosene which then burns very clean and efficient.

I do not know why the video wont launch, so just click the active link <Watch on YouTube> and it will play fine. The DK-Jet is the kerosene jet for the DragonFly.
Simmer to full on burner.

Last edited by Cyclist0105; 09-14-21 at 06:33 PM.
Old 09-14-21, 06:38 PM
Cyclist0105
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by IPassGas
I switched to a Dragonfly last year because our venerable 35 year old Peak 1 (which could nicely simmer) finally bit the dust. I overall very much like the dragonfly... great simmer, large pot base. However, one thing I find peculiar is that after I pump it, I must be somewhat careful not to touch the main pump cap else it may leak. The top is a bit flexible since it is the "o-ring" that holds the pressure. I am ok with it now, having learned not to touch it. Is this common or is my tank cap in the pump perhaps defective?
Thanks for the input.
Yes, you need to service your stove, buy a service kit and correct the problem.
Old 09-14-21, 06:49 PM
IPassGas

Originally Posted by JAG1
Yes, you need to service your stove, buy a service kit and correct the problem.
I don't think that is the problem. I have a service kit. The pump and stove were new when this occurred.
Old 09-19-21, 06:11 PM
Erick L
Lentement mais sûrement

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I've used a few and prefer the Bushbuddy for cooking (a clone if a copy, actually). It's a gasifier stove. I also have an Emberlit clone and it's more of a "contained camp fire".

Some people mentioned the MSR Dragonfly. I had one and hated it. It's like having a Harrier jet hovering close by. It's heavy, packs awkwardly, the pump is unreliable and the pot stand is slippery. The pumps is also a pain to connect, especially in the cold.
Old 09-19-21, 06:51 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,267 Times in 7,222 Posts
Thanks for the input.
Never had that happen. I have even pumped mine while it’s burning.
Old 09-19-21, 06:59 PM
indyfabz

Continuing the plane analogy, a Whisperlite (clue in the name) and a 123 would be a Cessna, a Dragonfly is a B52 taking off fully loaded. If you are in a small room with one going full noise, you have to shout, but your coffee will be ready in a minute.

Good one!

I also have an Optimus Nova. Noticeably quieter and not as bulky when packed. I use it mostly for shorter trips because the fuel bottle is 26 Oz vs. 32 for the Dragonfly.

When I got to Burlington after the first day of riding the Outdoor Gear Exchange sold me 32 Oz of fuel. The cashier and I went out on the sidewalk and filled the bottle from a gallon can. Gotta love Burlington, VT.
Old 09-20-21, 06:17 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
I am unlikely to be shopping for a white gas stove since i am happy with both the SVEA and the Whisperlite so the point is probably moot, but I wonder... Is the Dragonfly that much louder only when cranked up to a higher output? If the higher noise level is just a cost of going to the extra high output when you are in a hurry and it is more comparable to other white gas stoves when you aren't you could just consider it the cost of rushing. Or is it just much louder throughout the range of settings? Personally I doubt it would worry me unless it was loud enough to bother folks nearby. Maybe in hiker biker sites it would annoy folks sharing the site.

I know that folks do complain about the noise of both the SVEA and the Whisperlite. I have heard references to both as having a jet engine roar and what not. It wouldn't have occured to me to have even mentioned their sound as a negative and when I first read that kind of comments I was surprised. I am pretty sure I must have been in camp with a Dragonfly at some point and never noticed enough that I made a note of it, but I guess it is possible I have never encountered one.. It came out in 1998 so I'd think I'd have shared a camp with one at some point by now.
Old 09-20-21, 06:18 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by Erick L
I've used a few and prefer the Bushbuddy for cooking (a clone if a copy, actually). It's a gasifier stove.
That looks like a really nice setup and the Bush Buddy Mini looks like a good idea. It is just enough smaller to fit inside an 800 ml titainium pot. I might buy one for backpacking if fire bans (requiring a shutoff valve on stoves) weren't so prevalent where I backpacked.
Old 09-20-21, 06:42 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

I am unlikely to be shopping for a white gas stove since i am happy with both the SVEA and the Whisperlite so the point is probably moot, but I wonder... Is the Dragonfly that much louder only when cranked up to a higher output? If the higher noise level is just a cost of going to the extra high output when you are in a hurry and it is more comparable to other white gas stoves when you aren't you could just consider it the cost of rushing. Or is it just much louder throughout the range of settings? Personally I doubt it would worry me unless it was loud enough to bother folks nearby. Maybe in hiker biker sites it would annoy folks sharing the site.

I know that folks do complain about the noise of both the SVEA and the Whisperlite. I have heard references to both as having a jet engine roar and what not. It wouldn't have occured to me to have even mentioned their sound as a negative and when I first read that kind of comments I was surprised. I am pretty sure I must have been in camp with a Dragonfly at some point and never noticed enough that I made a note of it, but I guess it is possible I have never encountered one.. It came out in 1998 so I'd think I'd have shared a camp with one at some point by now.
It's a bit hard to completely compare to the Whisperlite because the Dragonfly can simmer without having to lower the bottle pressure, it'll go down to something like a large candle almost, at which point it's very quiet. At higher settings it's noticeably noisier. The two stoves work on different principles, the whisperlite has a vaporization tube in the flame and gas is expelled into a venturi tube leading to the burner, the jet noise is contained. The Dragonfly has a tulip burner, conduction moves heat down from the burner to the jet block and this gasifies the fuel and the gas is expelled into the open burner. So there's nothing to muffle the jet noise.
I have both, haven't used the Whisperlite for years, because I like the wide range of the Dragonfly. If there are a lot of people around, I apologise in advance for the noise.
Old 09-20-21, 07:25 AM
indyfabz

Last night I had my Dragonfly at full throttle to boil a lot of water for pasta. Walked to the shower pavilion to plug in the phone. A distance of about 200’. I could easily hear the stove.
Old 09-20-21, 07:42 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by indyfabz

Good one!

I also have an Optimus Nova. Noticeably quieter and not as bulky when packed. I use it mostly for shorter trips because the fuel bottle is 26 Oz vs. 32 for the Dragonfly.

When I got to Burlington after the first day of riding the Outdoor Gear Exchange sold me 32 Oz of fuel. The cashier and I went out on the sidewalk and filled the bottle from a gallon can. Gotta love Burlington, VT.
What? Aren't the bottles interchangeable? I thought they were and a quick search seems to indicate they are. In any case I tend to use different bottles on different kinds of trips.

I have not used a white gas stove on bike tours, but I did I'd be resistant to carrying that much fuel. Either of those bottles would me last a long time. If I were cooking all my meals even the 26 ounce bottle might last a couple weeks, but I don't usually cook much more than half of my meals when on a road tour so 3 weeks to a month might be possible. It rubs me the wrong way to carry that much times worth of fuel and that is in part why I have not carried my SVEA or Whisperlite on tour.

I'd actually be likely to use my 11 ounce MSR bottle (I think the current MSR bottles are 11, 20, and 30 ounces) most of the time. I often consider that maybe I'd be willing to use gasoline in the Whisperlite as long as I took care to avoid breating the fumes. That way in a pinch resupply could be at any gas station albeit a bit awkward. When possible I could still can use white gas if a store clerk will just fill my bottle or a group met in camp was willing to split a gallon or quart. Also there is a good chance that any car camper or RVer who uses a white gas stove or lantern will be willing to sell me a little white gas. The biggest problem there is they will probably refuse to let me pay them for it.

I also understand that Zippo or Ronson lighter fluid (for cigarette lighters) is white gas and comes in a 12 ounce bottle for about five bucks. So likely the gasoline thing would be an unused backup plan. Being able to avoid the need for a backup plan of using gasoline, it would mean I might also consider taking the SVEA (which I won't burn gasoline in)..
Old 09-20-21, 08:10 AM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
Touring with a friend who had the MSR that can burn gasoline, he would go to a gas station and ask if he could buy a few ounces of fuel. They usually just gave him a funny look
and said "No". then he would talk to people filling up their vehicles. Usually it just confused them, they figured it was some kind of scam. Eventually he would have some success and pay a couple of dollars for enough to fill a fuel bottle. But it wasnt easy.
Old 09-20-21, 09:39 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by skookum
Touring with a friend who had the MSR that can burn gasoline, he would go to a gas station and ask if he could buy a few ounces of fuel. They usually just gave him a funny look
and said "No". then he would talk to people filling up their vehicles. Usually it just confused them, they figured it was some kind of scam. Eventually he would have some success and pay a couple of dollars for enough to fill a fuel bottle. But it wasnt easy.
I know folks who say they just used what they could dribble out of the hoses after the station was unattended. Also why go in and ask to buy? I haven't gone inside a gas station to buy gas in years. A credit card at the pump works when filling the car why not when buying a few ounces? likely if they objected you'd be done before they realized you were there. They might if your container wasn't gasoline rated. A red MSR bottle might help there.

Also, when I have opened a conversation with "I am riding my bike coast to coast and" (or some other impressive to non cyclist distance) folks are almost universally helpful and more likely to help refusing to take any payment than to suspect a scam or charge me a few bucks for enough for a bottle. Heck they are likely to want to buy me lunch or something.
Old 09-20-21, 11:06 AM
IPassGas

Originally Posted by skookum
I would try to find kerosene before car gas since it is cleaner. Kingsford lighter fluid is close to kerosene and available everywhere. The dragonfly burns both. On tour I have not had to much problem finding white gas. Many camping stores have it and Walmart has quarts. I rarely find other campers that even know what white gas is, much less have it. On our summer tour we used almost 3 quarts, that would be many canisters. Many people are unaware that canisters must have a hole punched through or else they will not be accepted for recycle. Consequently, I suspect and have read, most canisters end up in landfill.
Old 09-20-21, 11:39 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Wood stove . . . this works very well up in the mountains, at least below the Alpine zone. You need to be in a place where you can find or go down to bare dirt and of course an area where fires are allowed. You gather some rocks, fist size and above and make a little pile of them, maybe 6"-8" high with a central "chimney" 2" or 3" across. That's your stove. Look around that area and collect a bunch of tiny sticks, like pencil size. If it's a camping area where other people have had those giant "white man" fires. there will be lots of small debris. You put some fire starter stuff at the bottom of the chimney, add a few sticks, and light it. Put your cooking pot or tin can on top. insert additional sticks as necessary. I did that for years when I was a kid and hiked alone. Never carried a stove at all, which is as light as one can go.
Old 09-20-21, 12:05 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
I know folks who say they just used what they could dribble out of the hoses after the station was unattended. Also why go in and ask to buy? I haven't gone inside a gas station to buy gas in years. A credit card at the pump works when filling the car why not when buying a few ounces? likely if they objected you'd be done before they realized you were there. They might if your container wasn't gasoline rated. A red MSR bottle might help there.

Also, when I have opened a conversation with "I am riding my bike coast to coast and" (or some other impressive to non cyclist distance) folks are almost universally helpful and more likely to help refusing to take any payment than to suspect a scam or charge me a few bucks for enough for a bottle. Heck they are likely to want to buy me lunch or something.
We were Canadians in the US and it wasnt always straight forward to use a credit card at the pump. Often you had to go inside and get them to authorize it. Although I don 't know why you couldn't get it authorized and just pump a couple of bucks worth.
In Montana a dollars worth of gas seemed like a lot to some people. If you offered them two bucks for a dollars worth of gas, they looked at you funny and figured you were up to something.
Don't get me wrong the people there were great, they just couldn't figure out what we were doing.
We ended up switching to those isobutane canisters, which were quite readily available, but then you have all the issues with canisters.
Old 09-20-21, 03:26 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 260 Posts
I currently live in restrictifornia and have to use a canister stove. I keep two small canisters with me so when one runs out I have the other to use. When I get home I refill them from the larger canisters. I have the Primus ETA
setup. I don't use their heavy zippered simmer storage bag. I don't like the freeze dried food in the foil packets. I buy the No 10 cans and put the food in zip lock bags. I only boil water in my pot and add food and water from the pot into a cozy with a screw on lid. I also carry a MSR fry pan for cooking other foods.
Old 09-20-21, 03:55 PM
Trevtassie

I don't think that is the problem. I have a service kit. The pump and stove were new when this occurred.
Is it leaking from the cap bottle junction or the hose pump junction? I have seen people new to the stove not lock the bail on the hose over the back of the pump.
The other thing I always do is put a little bit of spit on the hose barb before I push it into the pump. The oring then did something like 2-300 days of use before it started to leak. Replacing it is easy enough anyway.

Last edited by Trevtassie; 09-20-21 at 04:11 PM.
Old 09-20-21, 04:31 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by Rick
As stated by staehpj1 there are restrictions on wood stoves in national parks and during fire season they can totally be banned everywhere. Liquid stoves such as white gas and alcohol may also be banned in many national parks. and other places. I live in California and they are stove ban happy. I have used alcohol stoves and still have them. They have the most toxic fumes when you use products like heat. They are not as efficient as gas or liquid gas stoves. So they require you to carry more fuel. As far as canister stoves go I like the remote canister stoves. They weigh a little more but allow you more options when cooking.
Only alcohol stoves get banned, never liquid gas. We use an Optimus now, since one can't get parts for a Svea 123 anymore. The Optimus is very nice. To fly, we run the stove through someone's dishwasher and fill the fuel bottle with vinegar and label it "VINEGAR." So far so good. That's another problem with the Svea - the internal wick.
Old 09-20-21, 06:07 PM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Only alcohol stoves get banned, never liquid gas. We use an Optimus now, since one can't get parts for a Svea 123 anymore. The Optimus is very nice. To fly, we run the stove through someone's dishwasher and fill the fuel bottle with vinegar and label it "VINEGAR." So far so good. That's another problem with the Svea - the internal wick.
I agree that I wouldn't fly with my SVEA, but I have had no trouble finding parts. I bought a rebuild kit recently just to have it on hand. I looked at what was available at the time and it looked like I could get any of the parts I was likely to need. A friend repaired an old one that was missing some parts. He said he didn't have any trouble finding new parts online. Worst case people are parting out old stoves that are really badly trashed.

Also they are selling the Optimus SVEA as a new stove. It looks like the same old 123, but I haven't seen one up close and in person.

Edited to add... I am pretty sure that all stoves are sometimes banned in places and at times especially in Southern California. I know that there are times when they require a fire permit for gas stoves.

Last edited by staehpj1; 09-20-21 at 06:16 PM.
Old 09-20-21, 06:27 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

I agree that I wouldn't fly with my SVEA, but I have had no trouble finding parts. I bought a rebuild kit recently just to have it on hand. I looked at what was available at the time and it looked like I could get any of the parts I was likely to need. A friend repaired an old one that was missing some parts. He said he didn't have any trouble finding new parts online. Worst case people are parting out old stoves that are really badly trashed.

Also they are selling the Optimus SVEA as a new stove. It looks like the same old 123, but I haven't seen one up close and in person.

Edited to add... I am pretty sure that all stoves are sometimes banned in places and at times especially in Southern California. I know that there are times when they require a fire permit for gas stoves.
That's good! Our is a polished shelf decoration now. Over several decades of use, I had the pressure relief valve in the cap fail twice, with terrifying results. At the time of its retirement, I couldn't find a new cap for it. Turned it into a blowtorch with a 3' flame.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.