Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are Presta valve caps uncool or what?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Are Presta valve caps uncool or what?

Old 02-05-18, 10:55 AM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Oi ... you people must have studied physics in some reputable, accredited school.

Here's the real deal: as the valves-With Caps--pass vertical and begin falling, the exert a gravitational force on the rim, accelerating it. Now some of you who think you "know" physics will try to claim that the same force is lost as the valve rises up the back half of the revolution- --BUT ...

the improved aerodynamics (engineers spent a Lot of time shaping those caps) means that the force needed to lift the capped valves is reduced compared to an uncapped valve ..... thus you actually gain energy.

If your valve caps were big enough you could (theoretically) power your home by riding your bike.

Unfortunately the weight and drag associated with storage and transmission devices outweigh the energy gain, or we'd all be punching in to do our eight-hour riding shifts each day to keep the utility companies in business.
I was in the Air Force for 25yrs. Does that qualify for an Accredited School ? Flew a lot of desks and dogged flying beer bottles, so I must know a little about aerodynamics, right ??
Old 02-05-18, 11:06 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Originally Posted by kcblair
I was in the Air Force for 25yrs. Flew a lot of desks ....
Anyone who can make a desk fly is Definitely an advanced student of the science.
Old 02-05-18, 11:16 AM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Anyone who can make a desk fly is Definitely an advanced student of the science.

You got that right......... I can't wait for the weather to clear-up, so I can start riding again. And we can start worrying about aerodynamics of Campy cranks and climbing. I took the yellow caps of my Ciocc, after this discussion, will replace with red ones, as we all know, RED is faster .KB
Old 02-05-18, 12:58 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 2,206 Posts
I prefer the oversized valve caps that double as shot glasses. Handy on the pub crawling bke.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
valve caps.jpg (39.7 KB, 406 views)
Old 02-05-18, 01:56 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 500 Times in 317 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
Little known fact: As Tom Simpson was climbing Mont Ventoux, he looked down and realized his mechanic had left the valve caps on. He had a heart attack out of sheer embarrassment.

Later they said his death was due to mixing booze and amphetamines -- the family made this up to protect his reputation.
At least someone remembers that incident. These days not many remember how courageous it is to to demand to be put back on the bike on that brutal climb. RIP M. Simpson.
Old 02-05-18, 02:29 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I think they are cool. I've been saving them for years. Gotta small can of them. I have a little ritual for all new tubes. Unscrew the cap and nut, but in the can and install the tube. Problem is, I haven't found a good use yet for those caps and nuts. But they gotta be good for something. They are just that cool!

But re-screwing it onto the tire so I have to unscrew it after I flat? Then keep track of it so I can screw it back on? Seems like wasted effort to me. And I have had way too few instances where a cap even might have made a difference for the better.

Ben
Blackburn must have a huge collection of Presta valve caps and nuts too. My Blackburn Core Slim pump came with very familiar looking plastic doodads and nuts holding the pump and bottle cage mount to the cardboard display packaging. When I removed the caps and nuts I realized they were from Presta valves.

Sneaky bastards are trying to pawn them off on unsuspecting customers.
Old 02-05-18, 02:35 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
All this talk prompted me to buy a bag of anodized aluminum presta valve caps, off of Amazon, to replace the missing or cheap plastic ones on my bikes. Really uncool, to say the least, but they should last!
Old 02-05-18, 03:44 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Plastic ones are bad for the environment. Very few get recycled, they end up in the water systems and are picked up by birds and small animals. Especially the bright ones.
Old 02-05-18, 03:54 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by asmac
Are people joking about the weight and aerodynamics of valve caps? And the time to unscrew them? Really?

Time matters when 20 guys are standing on the side of the road waiting for you to change a tube.

-Tim-
Old 02-05-18, 04:05 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Once while crashing my bike I ended up semi tangled up with it. My hand was somehow stuck in the wheel, and something was jabbing my wrist horribly. Turned out it was my valve cap. Paramedics said had it not been for the cap, the dangerous valve tip likely would have ensured that I bled to death! Said they've seen it many times before. My valve cap saved my life!

Ever since having had this close call with death, I'd sooner ride without a helmet than my valve caps. Safety First!
Old 02-05-18, 04:09 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4746 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Blackburn must have a huge collection of Presta valve caps and nuts too. My Blackburn Core Slim pump came with very familiar looking plastic doodads and nuts holding the pump and bottle cage mount to the cardboard display packaging. When I removed the caps and nuts I realized they were from Presta valves.

Sneaky bastards are trying to pawn them off on unsuspecting customers.
Hey, this is good! Blackburn found a real use for them. Green, eco-conscience and all that stuff. Way ahead of the curve.

Ben
Old 02-05-18, 04:17 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4746 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
Plastic ones are bad for the environment. Very few get recycled, they end up in the water systems and are picked up by birds and small animals. Especially the bright ones.
The birds and other small animals in my garage have never shown any interest in my can of valve caps. (I had to make an armored box for the sunflower seeds.)

Ben
Old 02-05-18, 05:23 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
oh, great. I just got a bill saying the price of valve caps skyrocketed since that announcement. And it'll only cover one of my valve stems until it reaches 25 miles.
😱 👍🏻
Old 02-05-18, 05:31 PM
asmac

Bikes: Salsa Vaya

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Time matters when 20 guys are standing on the side of the road waiting for you to change a tube.

-Tim-

Sounds like a lot of fun for Serious Cyclists like you. Pulling my leg, right?
Old 02-05-18, 06:11 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
I usually leave the little plastic caps on, but don't worry if they get lost.

I do like to throw a Presta/Schrader adapter on in place of one of the caps, but don't put a cap over the adapter.

The nuts are handy to hold the valve in place when attaching the pump, especially if one has short valve stems.
Old 02-05-18, 07:06 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by asmac
Sounds like a lot of fun for Serious Cyclists like you. Pulling my leg, right?

Do you even ride?
Old 02-05-18, 07:32 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Awright, guys, I just removed the caps and nuts from my Presta valves.

This is making me nervous. The valve stems can move very slightly. Won't that rob at least as much energy as the video camera mount zip tied to my helmet, and that extra tire lever in my seat bag? I know some folks only need one, but what if a squirrel steals my one tire lever while I'm fumbling around on the side of the road?

Strava better show me a 10W boost or those things are going right back on.
Old 02-05-18, 09:05 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Awright, guys, I just removed the caps and nuts from my Presta valves.

This is making me nervous. The valve stems can move very slightly. Won't that rob at least as much energy as the video camera mount zip tied to my helmet, and that extra tire lever in my seat bag? I know some folks only need one, but what if a squirrel steals my one tire lever while I'm fumbling around on the side of the road?

Strava better show me a 10W boost or those things are going right back on.
LOL.

Even if you don't net half a watt, you have to look at the bright side here, CC... Without those pesky caps you'll be able to swap a tube out with the fast boys.
Old 02-06-18, 05:59 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
The birds and other small animals in my garage have never shown any interest in my can of valve caps. (I had to make an armored box for the sunflower seeds.)

Ben
Maybe they're out of date.
Old 02-06-18, 07:43 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Presta caps are the bain of the weight weenie racer boys. If they entered a 500 mile race, removing the caps would mean they would cross the finish line .763956241 inches ahead of where they would have if they had left the caps on.
Old 02-06-18, 08:11 AM
FBOATSB

Bikes: Old Stuff

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 343 Posts
Just for giggles, or because I was bored, I emailed a manufacturer of presta valve's and asked them their policy on caps and lock nuts. "Yes. We recommend to use cap. To avoid dust. And recommend to use locknut too. " So all you sloppy unkempt pin bending impaling death machine riding folks are going against manufacturer's recommendations. Good luck with your lawsuit
Old 02-06-18, 08:24 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Originally Posted by FBOATSB
Just for giggles, or because I was bored, I emailed a manufacturer of presta valve's and asked them their policy on caps and lock nuts. "Yes. We recommend to use cap. To avoid dust. And recommend to use locknut too. " So all you sloppy unkempt pin bending impaling death machine riding folks are going against manufacturer's recommendations. Good luck with your lawsuit

Well done! That oughta net us another page or two.

On the other hand, anyone who rides "Electroforged" surely can't be taken as a serious cyclist.

Yes, I have several of them!
Old 02-06-18, 08:28 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
And you guys wonder why squirrels try to run through the spinning wheels...

They're after the attractively colored, moving caps on your bike.
Old 02-06-18, 09:21 AM
julio26pt2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I.... I had no idea this was such a controversial topic. But, I'll share what I do, anyway.

I use them on the commuter bike to keep the grime/salt/ick out of the valve. Sometimes the wheels will have a nice layer of salt and I like the valve to be clean.

On the racing bike, I just never put them on in the first place. No particular reason...just one less thing to worry about, I guess.
Old 02-06-18, 09:27 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
There is a busy cycle path behind my house. You always know the "too cool" or "velominati" riders because as they go over the bumps right behind the house you can hear their valve stem slamming back and forth against the pass thru in the rim.

Yeah, that little retention nut isn't cool huh?

I use mine and never hear that annoying noise.

They give you something to use for it with your tube/tub, but then those same guys take it to the other extreme and use either a piece of electrical tape OR even going to lengths of using heat shrink over the stem at the hole thru the rim.

Good Lord, that's just tooooo much. I'll use the damn nut and dust cap.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.