Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is cycling an expensive hobby?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 03-01-19, 01:11 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1354 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 272 Posts
Yeah: cycling is expensive. I spend a lot more on my bikes than my cars. Steady stream of boxes coming in from Ribble, Wiggle, Chain Reaction, ProBike Kit, etc. Lots of bling to buy, with so little time.

​​​​​​​Mind you, with the latest Shimano actions, I won't be buying more bike stuff, except for the essential consumables. Glad I stashed 5 years worth of cassettes and chains before the borders shut down on January 1.

Bike commuting is also expensive. The extra cost of food (calories) exceeds the incremental cost of gasoline. Since I have to pay for insurance, registration, etc. on a car anyway - well, these these are sunk costs.
Old 03-01-19, 02:47 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
My “Hobby” pays for itself, (plus some) I figure. Mostly because I don’t need or want high end bikes, and also because I save money by commuting by bike. For me that’s a saving of about $500 a year on gas alone. That doesn’t even including the savings on other wear and tear and maintenance items for the motor vehicle.

And no, I don't eat more when I ride, I eat just as much even when I don't ride. If you want to add "extra food" to your expenses for riding, then don't forget to subtract for lower health care costs, especially in the long term.

Another part of my bike "hobby" supplies me with money by doing bike repair and rebuilding for others, which I enjoy very much. Many a trash pickup or bike that someone has given to me has been turned into cash over the years. Then again, I’ve also given away several nice bikes to people in need.
Old 03-01-19, 03:22 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
My "extra" calories mostly come from food overflow winding up in the break room that meeting planners bring in, or vendors or whoever, really over the top in this Georgia culture. As a non-native it's actually kind of disturbing, a little surreal. But anyway, a lager or two in the evening and excess junk food that the less active members of the household bring in. So I can't really claim it as an "extra" outlay.
Old 03-01-19, 05:44 PM
Jarrettsin

Bikes: 2016 Trek FX7.4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
As stated it depends on how much you get into the hobby.

Personally I feel fishing has all hobbies beat.
I mean yes as pointed out earlier you could buy a cheap rod and reel and fish from shore.
But anyone being serious about it needs a boat. A fully rigged bass boat cost 60K, And the truck to tow it or mooring fees
Also pointed out once you own a bike going riding for the day really does not cost much. A snack bar, an energy drink, train ticket back home whatever pale in comparison to going fishing and filling your tow vehicle with gas, filling your boat with gas, and paying launch fees.....
Old 03-01-19, 10:45 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
What's illogical?
This is the part that's illogical:
" Just because someone takes a frugal approach, it doesn't mean it's a cheap hobby. "

It absolutely means that it is a cheap hobby for many people.

ANY hobby has an infinite top level of spending, so if we're comparing bicycling to the costs of other hobbies, I think the more obvious question is whether it's possible to get relatively serious about it at low expense. You could spend a million dollars collecting thimbles if you want to. I don't think you can spend a few hundred dollars restoring race cars and really do much. You CAN do a lot of biking for that money.
Old 03-01-19, 11:17 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Certainly less expensive than golf, skiing or scuba diving. My other hobby is knitting. Nice yarn isn't cheap - contrary to popular belief. I just paid more for yarn to make my own sweater than I would ever dream of spending on a finished sweater from the store. But I got exactly what I want. I will have the pleasure of making it. And I can make it fit exactly the way I want it to. And it should last a long time.

Last year I invested in a trailer hitch for my car so I could put on a bike rack to carry our bikes on "adventures" away from home. This year, I'm getting a new bike since I've been riding a 15-year old hand-me-down that is too small for me. That will be a fairly a bit of an investment, but I have proven to myself over the last few years or riding the bad bike that I WILL ride. I have bought pedals, shoes, cleats, shorts, jerseys. I find the cycling specific clothes far more comfortable since they move with me. I use my phone for a cycling computer and I don't need a lot of data. Just tell me how far I went and how fast. I'm a pretty casual cyclist, but at least it gets me up and moving.

Oh, and we're planning our first "tour". Really just two days and one overnight in the Loire Valley since we're going to France anyway. Hmmmm. Maybe this is more expensive than I thought. ;-)
Old 03-01-19, 11:56 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
In terms of equipment, its not too expensive compared to other popular hobbies, such as golf.

In terms of potential injuries, and recovery time, it can be quite expensive depending on the type of injury.
Old 03-02-19, 12:48 AM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by JasonD67
My other hobby is racing sailboats. Cycling, even at the highest level, is super cheap compared to that. Easily spend $10K-$15K a year on sails alone, not to mention dockage, finishing the hull, paying a diver to clean the bottom each week, etc.
This. I’ve been sailing for close to 50 years. 25 of them owning my own boats. Buying and selling, slip fees, diver, boatyard bills, taxes, new sails, insurance, fixing stuff that breaks, depreciation, the opportunity cost of the money tied up in boats, it adds up. If I’d never bought any boats and just banked the money, I’d easily have an extra $500K. BOAT = Break Out Another Thousand.

Bikes are not bad at all.

Old 03-02-19, 03:41 AM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Share some of that popcorn with me please because I think this thread will get interesting....
Old 03-02-19, 04:27 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Not exactly a direct comparison here since cycling is much more than just a hobby. Strictly as a hobby it has the potential to be among the most expensive. However, cycling is also a sport, and a method of achieve and maintaining good health. When you put that all together, its not as bad as it may seem. Nevertheless, if the exercise is all you're after than it doesn't take a lot of money to invest in a plain Jane ordinary bike
Old 03-02-19, 05:26 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by SClaraPokeman
The way I look at it, the main cost of cycling is the risk of a serious injury and time spent away from job or family responsibilities (biking can be a relatively time consuming and energy draining activity--ever feel like doing something useful around the house after cycling 50 hard miles?).
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Its more about time being the most valuable thing to compare the different activities of one's life. So hobby versus hobby is the small question and points to the bigger question.

Quality time? One aspect is how one spends it with others as a giving rather than a taking
Nicely said, concerning the cost of time. I have posted:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I have previously posted to this thread, Why didn’t I ride
My job; either too much to do, so I stay (comfortably) overnight and resume very early in the AM, missing my commute; or have to travel afar for a meeting….

And to a lesser extent, family activities…
Monetary costs were more crucial in my 20’s when I was getting started, yet I did a lot of touring in those years, including a cross-country ride.

Now I budget my cycling time carefully, mainly as a cycle commuter, and I have “expensive” tastes costing a lot of time.
I have the opportunity to commute a minimal 14 miles one-way during the week (Commuter Rail home), and round-trip on Saturday all year-round, for about 100 miles a week. During the nice weather, I’d like to put in about 150-200 miles to train and do long rides.

In reality though, I probably get in about 20-30 miles per week during the winter, and maybe about 75-100 during the nice weather (to include early evening rides)…
Originally Posted by tsl
…This is the time of year when I'd take my 17-mile long loop to work, and a 13-mile cut of it coming home.

It's not that I chase miles for the sake of numbers. It takes me 50 miles a week just to feel good and normal, I feel fantastic over 100 miles a week, and like Superman over 150.
Thanks for this post. I too think gratefully about my commute, and all the variety it presents.

I particularly agree with your assessment of weekly mileage, though at over 150 miles per week, I call it hyper-fit.
I’m reminded of that quip from the 60’s about smoking dope, “Cycling [dope] will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no cycling."
Originally Posted by SHBR
In terms of equipment, its not too expensive compared to other popular hobbies, such as golf.

In terms of potential injuries, and recovery time, it can be quite expensive depending on the type of injury.
Injury and recovery time is certainly an unexpected expense, though hopefully one is insured for it.
…I was hit from behind in 2012; six weeks in the Hospital, three months off work, with some residual problems, but overall glad with the resolution…could be worse.

Actually I couldn’t wait to get back to cycling.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-02-19 at 05:59 AM.
Old 03-02-19, 05:34 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by KraneXL
Not exactly a direct comparison here since cycling is much more than just a hobby. Strictly as a hobby it has the potential to be among the most expensive. However, cycling is also a sport, and a method of achieve and maintaining good health. When you put that all together, its not as bad as it may seem. Nevertheless, if the exercise is all you're after than it doesn't take a lot of money to invest in a plain Jane ordinary bike
People also can ride the hell out of plain jane bikes both in terms of distance and speed.

One of the obvious advantages of bicycling as a hobby is that it has practical applications. Many of the people posting on this forum are pretty passionate about the commuting they've been doing, for example. I don't know anyone who considers the drive or bus ride to work as something they actually enjoy. I'm just agreeing with your statement about fitness, but adding that I think it probably has some "mental health" benefits as well.
Old 03-02-19, 05:53 AM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by livedarklions
People also can ride the hell out of plain jane bikes both in terms of distance and speed.

One of the obvious advantages of bicycling as a hobby is that it has practical applications. Many of the people posting on this forum are pretty passionate about the commuting they've been doing, for example.

I don't know anyone who considers the drive or bus ride to work as something they actually enjoy. I'm just agreeing with your statement about fitness, but adding that I think it probably has some "mental health" benefits as well.
In the same vein, when I cycle commute (mainly for fitness), I think about the runners I pass, and mentally gloat about how much more utilitarian cycling is, even just because my cycling is pleasantly taking me to a destination (work).
Originally Posted by irwin7638
I've found that most Americans think of bikes in three ways: children's toys, exotic toys for fitness fanatics and transportation of last resort for the impoverished and disadvantaged.

It's socially acceptable for an adult to dress up like a circus acrobat with friends once a week, run around in circles as quickly as possible with no other purpose or destination, but to ride a bike somewhere for a purpose implies some sort of need and is looked upon as an act of desperation.
It took me a couple of readings to figure out that the adults who dress up like circus acrobats and run around in circles are joggers.
I've even thought about the distinction in military terms, as us cyclists the glamorous fly-boys in the Air Force, compared to the Army grunts on the ground.

Likely though, the runners gloat when they see me on the side of the road fixing a flat.
Old 03-02-19, 06:22 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
It's only expensive if you give in to peer pressure and buy stuff to impress other cyclists.
Old 03-02-19, 06:35 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3742 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 765 Posts
I don't see my cycling as a hobby/recreation. It's my primary form of transportation and has been for over 30 years. I do most of my own maintenance, including wheel truing, I don't buy ridiculously expensive bikes, usually no more than $500, I don't get too crazy over gear/clothing.

So when you compare my expenses to that of the normal motorist, I save tons of money just in gas, but in all other areas as well.
Old 03-02-19, 06:35 AM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by wolfchild
It's only expensive if you give in to peer pressure and buy stuff to impress other cyclists.
I have a high end carbon fiber bike, yet I almost exclusively ride alone, without a flashy jersey. Frankly having subscribed to several threads about expensive cycling expenditures, I'm dismayed by such simplistic, judgemental, and stereotypic comments.

Of course unless you mean by expensive, just a waste of money, "Money [performance] talks, BS [peer pressure] walks."

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-02-19 at 07:10 AM.
Old 03-02-19, 07:19 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
This is the part that's illogical:
" Just because someone takes a frugal approach, it doesn't mean it's a cheap hobby. "

It absolutely means that it is a cheap hobby for many people.

ANY hobby has an infinite top level of spending, so if we're comparing bicycling to the costs of other hobbies, I think the more obvious question is whether it's possible to get relatively serious about it at low expense. You could spend a million dollars collecting thimbles if you want to. I don't think you can spend a few hundred dollars restoring race cars and really do much. You CAN do a lot of biking for that money.
That was a reference to people who are saying that they don’t spend a lot of money on cycling and therefore cycling is an inexpensive hobby. Just because someone is frugal (or doesn’t spend a lot of money) doesn’t mean cycling as a hobby is cheap. This whole argument is dumb.

Last edited by jadocs; 03-02-19 at 07:25 AM.
Old 03-02-19, 07:35 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
"It is what it is", essentially? You spend whatever you actually spend, and not what you "could have spent if you were more frugal". Interesting logic, quite unassailable, IMO. Assuming, of course, that what you actually do spend amounts to "a lot".
Old 03-02-19, 08:10 AM
TheRef

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts

That was a reference to people who are saying that they don’t spend a lot of money on cycling and therefore cycling is an inexpensive hobby. Just because someone is frugal (or doesn’t spend a lot of money) doesn’t mean cycling as a hobby is cheap. This whole argument is dumb.
Why is it dumb? Why throwing an insulting word to make your point? One could argue just the opposite (and some have done just that)/ Cycling is cheap and spending money or arguing otherwise is dumb
Old 03-02-19, 10:54 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

First of all, I don't think anyone actually said it can't be an expensive hobby, just that it isn't one for them. Second, the only truly dumb claim I've seen on this thread is that it's only inexpensive if you're a casual cyclist.
Old 03-02-19, 11:19 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by work4bike
I don't see my cycling as a hobby/recreation. It's my primary form of transportation and has been for over 30 years. I do most of my own maintenance, including wheel truing, I don't buy ridiculously expensive bikes, usually no more than $500, I don't get too crazy over gear/clothing.

So when you compare my expenses to that of the normal motorist, I save tons of money just in gas, but in all other areas as well.
It's interesting that you do all of that, post on bf, and don't consider it a hobby. A lot of people get into the commuting because they like bikes, but I think the difference is your only interest is its usefulness, which has led you to develop maintenance skills most "enthusiasts" couldn't touch.
Old 03-02-19, 11:25 AM
Sgvpicker

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Evo DURA-ACE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It could be
Old 03-03-19, 06:32 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3742 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 765 Posts
It's interesting that you do all of that, post on bf, and don't consider it a hobby. A lot of people get into the commuting because they like bikes, but I think the difference is your only interest is its usefulness, which has led you to develop maintenance skills most "enthusiasts" couldn't touch.
It relates to how I got into cycling. I was in the navy and back in the mid-80's my ship went into the shipyard, which was across the St Johns river from our home port. To get to the shipyard, I either had to pay $1.50 (one way) to cross the river on a ferry or drive way south to find a bridge, only to drive back north, since the shipyard was just across the river from the naval base. Some how I found out that pedestrians and bikes only had to pay 10 cents to cross -- simple choice for me.

I've been cycling ever since. I do feel as if I'm addicted to cycling now, but I don't feel it is a hobby, rather more a skill to master, i.e. riding on the roads.
Old 03-03-19, 06:44 AM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by Sgvpicker
It could be
Thanks for that incisive analysis of the preceding OP and 99 replies; and from a Junior Member no less.

I presume you're building up your post count, so Welcome.

What's your experience?

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-03-19 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-03-19, 06:59 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
"It depends".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.