Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Stolen THULE T2 Pro XT hitch rack

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Stolen THULE T2 Pro XT hitch rack

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-19, 09:25 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
I wasn't joking.
Of course not.

When you joke about someone’s misfortunes, it reveals your true character, or lack of it.

Your wave fetish will follow you wherever you go—what we do in life echoes in eternity (to paraphrase a Kiwi playing a Spaniard).
Old 07-03-19, 09:28 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by jadocs
Since you are in the market for a new rack, check out 1UP USA. Great racks and they have a unique locking mechanism with extra security options, I haven't heard of one being stolen yet.

I was looking at the reviews on YouTube and I am a bit concerned about how secure the attachment mechanism is. It looks like the tool provided can be easily purchased from the manufacturer and then you can unlock any of their racks.

How do you secure your rack to the hitch receiver?
Old 07-04-19, 06:22 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
My bike gets put into the bed of my pickup, secured with tie-downs. But at a local MUP, several cars had racks stolen-the low lifes cut the straps that hold the rack on the car (pure meanness-what good is a rack without the strap!). They must have had a bolt cutter also, as they stole several receiver racks. And broke vehicle windows to break into cars. Shame is, if they get caught, I doubt the punishment is very severe.
Old 07-04-19, 06:27 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by freeranger
My bike gets put into the bed of my pickup, secured with tie-downs. But at a local MUP, several cars had racks stolen-the low lifes cut the straps that hold the rack on the car (pure meanness-what good is a rack without the strap!). They must have had a bolt cutter also, as they stole several receiver racks. And broke vehicle windows to break into cars. Shame is, if they get caught, I doubt the punishment is very severe.
Yep on both counts. Pure meanness and even if caught they will suffer little or no consequences.

For the time being I am carrying my bike inside the car.
Old 07-04-19, 10:22 AM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 39 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss, luckily the Colnago wasn't on it at the time though. Also, hopefully they didn't scratch your car in the process either?

I too carry my bike inside my car, albeit on its side in the back of an SUV. It is indeed a big hassle to do so, but perhaps safer. With the bike on its side, I always worry I'm going to bend the drop bar, but so far so good (I do try to prop it on a folded over towel). Hopefully you can get a new rack soon so you can stop hassling with carrying it in the car.
Old 07-04-19, 01:25 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
I was looking at the reviews on YouTube and I am a bit concerned about how secure the attachment mechanism is. It looks like the tool provided can be easily purchased from the manufacturer and then you can unlock any of their racks.

How do you secure your rack to the hitch receiver?
The rack also has a holes in it to stick a padlock over the access to the bolt so first you have to cut off the pad lock and have the security hex wrench. The chain is not there to stop thieves because somebody always makes a comment about how easy it is to cut a chain. The chain is just on there in case the attachment mechanism fails, prevents the rack from falling out. I've never needed the chain and it is very rare that the mechanism fails but it does happen and the chain takes away the worry.
Old 07-04-19, 01:28 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by puma1552
Sorry to hear about your loss, luckily the Colnago wasn't on it at the time though. Also, hopefully they didn't scratch your car in the process either?

I too carry my bike inside my car, albeit on its side in the back of an SUV. It is indeed a big hassle to do so, but perhaps safer. With the bike on its side, I always worry I'm going to bend the drop bar, but so far so good (I do try to prop it on a folded over towel). Hopefully you can get a new rack soon so you can stop hassling with carrying it in the car.
Thanks for your comments. Thankfully they did no damage to the car itself and thankfully the Colnago was not on the rack.

My car was rear-ended about a year ago and the C60 was on the back. It sustained only minor damage which the good people at Calfee quickly repaired.

I think

I am beginning to think that carrying the bike inside the car is the better way to go. I could carry only one bike, but 99% of the time I ride alne

BTW, you have a nice group of bikes.

Old 07-04-19, 01:32 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by Canker
The rack also has a holes in it to stick a padlock over the access to the bolt so first you have to cut off the pad lock and have the security hex wrench. The chain is not there to stop thieves because somebody always makes a comment about how easy it is to cut a chain. The chain is just on there in case the attachment mechanism fails, prevents the rack from falling out. I've never needed the chain and it is very rare that the mechanism fails but it does happen and the chain takes away the worry.
Thanks for the explanation. The thieves would then have to break the padlock and have the specialty wrench available.

That is a better level of protection than Thule offers.
Old 07-04-19, 01:50 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
Sorry to hear this. I hate that gut feeling when one is violated in such a way. I hope your heart and mind is repaired in short order.

Several years ago I walked past my boat to head to work and low and behold... My 10hp outboard motor was gone. Strangers in the night.
Old 07-04-19, 06:37 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by BirdsBikeBinocs
Sorry to hear this. I hate that gut feeling when one is violated in such a way. I hope your heart and mind is repaired in short order.

Several years ago I walked past my boat to head to work and low and behold... My 10hp outboard motor was gone. Strangers in the night.
I know what you mean. As I got closer to my car I noticed that there was no rack. At first I thought that my wife had driven out to meet me (we have matching cars). Then as I got closer I realized that it was my car...without the rack.

Then that sinking/gut feeling set in.

Did you ever recover your boat’s engine?
Old 07-05-19, 05:11 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by Canker
I just looked again at their 2” hitch rack. It appears that 1UP-USA has listened to its customers and made a significant modification to its rack. The part thatbis inserted into the hitch receiver now has a slot that allows for the use of a hitch pin lock.

So using the hitch pin lock, in combination with the padlock to cover the “hitch pressure bolt” (as you showed on that photo) there are are now two levels of additional security that may be harder to defeat by a thief.

i think that this may be my new rack.

Last edited by eja_ bottecchia; 07-05-19 at 05:14 PM.
Old 07-06-19, 09:33 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Life without a bike rack...
Old 07-07-19, 09:23 AM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 39 Posts
Hassle, isn't it? You and me both need to get racks. Unfortunately for me, I also need to get a hitch installed first (not interested in a roof rack, don't want anything touching the car).

Maybe when you get a new one, for both the loss of this last rack AND getting rearended with the C60 prior, you'll have to treat yourself to a new C64 for emotional suffering
Old 07-07-19, 09:43 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
Life with TWO bike racks and a memorable bike ride! A good ride and a great destination makes the hassle worthwhile.

Family car (1986 German spec Corolla) loaded up during 1,000 km r/t drive from near Zweibrucken, Germany for family of five to ride the bike paths thru the tulip fields near Lisse, NL in1991.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Corolla w 5 bikes.jpg (1.08 MB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg
Tulip Petals.jpg (1.12 MB, 164 views)
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 07-07-19, 03:04 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
I know what you mean. As I got closer to my car I noticed that there was no rack. At first I thought that my wife had driven out to meet me (we have matching cars). Then as I got closer I realized that it was my car...without the rack.

Then that sinking/gut feeling set in.

Did you ever recover your boat’s engine?
No, I never saw the motor again. But, the insurance company took care of me and for little money I upgraded to a 25hp. But still, it hurt. Ride on eja...
Likes For BirdsBikeBinocs:
Old 07-07-19, 05:30 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Life with TWO bike racks and a memorable bike ride! A good ride and a great destination makes the hassle worthwhile.

Family car (1986 German spec Corolla) loaded up during 1,000 km r/t drive from near Zweibrucken, Germany for family of five to ride the bike paths thru the tulip fields near Lisse, NL in1991.
Threatening skies make for great photographs. Did you get caught in the rain that day?
Old 07-07-19, 08:09 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Threatening skies make for great photographs. Did you get caught in the rain that day?
It was a long time ago, but I do not remember any problem with rain while we were in NL.
Old 07-08-19, 03:22 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts

EB, is this the type of locking mechanism that you used to lock your rack to the hitch?
If so, why are they so easy to defeat?
It's what I use. And it doesn't look any better, worse, weaker, stronger, than that e-trailer hitch lock previously posted.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 07-08-19, 04:54 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by Nachoman

EB, is this the type of locking mechanism that you used to lock your rack to the hitch?
It's what I use. And it doesn't look any better, worse, weaker, stronger, than that e-trailer hitch lock previously posted.
No, that’s not it.

The T2 Pro XT does not use a hitch pin lock. Instead, it relies on a turning knob at the end of the tongue.

You turn the knob until the tongue is snug inside the receiver. The knob also actuates a pin that locks in place in the receiver.

The knob has a built in lock, which in theory makes it impossible to turn the knob to unlock the tongue from the receiver.

I am not explaining this very well. The point remains, however, that the lock is easy to defeat, a child could easily pick the lock.

Look at the attached video. At 1:04 into the video you see how the rack is locked to the receiver. The guy on the video says that Thule provides a key to keep your rack from getting stolen.

1. The locking mechanism is a joke.

2. The key and tumbler mechanisms are low-rate, at best. A paper clip can be used to easily pick the lock. I wish that your photo showed what the key really looks like.

3. The stupid, child-like lock cannot deter, even the laziest of thieves, from stealing the rack.

Here is the video:

Last edited by eja_ bottecchia; 07-08-19 at 04:59 PM.
Old 07-08-19, 05:18 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by Nachoman

This explains the problem better than I could.

As a PSA, if you have a Thule T2 Pro XT rack, do yourself a favor and read through the content below. The more I read about this issue the angrier I get with Thule. They know that their locking mechanism is junk, yet they continue to put these racks out on the market.

https://electricbikereview.com/forum...e-locks.10058/

1UP USA racks had a similar problem; their new generation of hitch racks has adequately addressed the proble.

See below:

https://www.1up-usa.com/product/2in-...ble-bike-rack/

See that they now include a hitch pin lock. If you don’t like their lock, you can buy a more stout one. The point is that they have addressed a vulnerability in their system—Thule has not.
Likes For eja_ bottecchia:
Old 07-09-19, 08:09 PM
Kent T

Bikes: 2002 Trek 800 Singletrack, 1982 Bridgestone Spica

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Emma Wood Beach (the overlook);

I think from now on I will just carry the bike inside the car. Safer that way.
I feel for you. And care for you as a fellow BF member and rider. Getting a bike stolen is never good, one feels violated. I have had 2 stolen over the years. I carry my bike inside my station wagon. Locked inside. And in the shed, when finished riding. A crazy world we ride and live in, stay safe. And buy a better lock for that Thule if you replace it. Consider at least an Abus or an Assa Abloy.

Last edited by Kent T; 07-09-19 at 08:14 PM.
Old 07-09-19, 08:55 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by Kent T
I feel for you. And care for you as a fellow BF member and rider. Getting a bike stolen is never good, one feels violated. I have had 2 stolen over the years. I carry my bike inside my station wagon. Locked inside. And in the shed, when finished riding. A crazy world we ride and live in, stay safe. And buy a better lock for that Thule if you replace it. Consider at least an Abus or an Assa Abloy.
Thanks Kent. I appreciate your sentiments.

It was a sickening feeling, but the passage of time helps.

What kind of s/w do you have? I love s/w. When we arrived to the US, my Dad bought a 1967 Chevy II Nova s/w. That’s the car I learned to drive with. It was a beautiful turquoise color. My brother and I would go back in the cargo area and make faces at the drivers behind us.

Ever since then I have been hooked! Wagons are great and for my money, far more versatile that an SUV or a cross over.

I always liked the Olds wagons with the Vista Cruiser roof or the big Ford LTD wagons.

I have owned a couple of Benz wagons, a 1989 300 TE and a 2002 C320 wagon. I gave them to my kids...wish I still had them.

I may forget about the rack, sell the convertible and get a s/w. My bikes and my dogs would probably be happier.

Again thank you for your sentiments. We are a brotherhood/sisterhood. When something bad happens to one of us, it happens to all of us.
Old 07-09-19, 09:00 PM
Kent T

Bikes: 2002 Trek 800 Singletrack, 1982 Bridgestone Spica

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Thanks Kent. I appreciate your sentiments.

It was a sickening feeling, but the passage of time helps.

What kind of s/w do you have? I love s/w. When we arrived to the US, my Dad bought a 1967 Chevy II Nova s/w. That’s the car I learned to drive with. It was a beautiful turquoise color. My brother and I would go back in the cargo area and make faces at the drivers behind us.

Ever since then I have been hooked! Wagons are great and for my money, far more versatile that an SUV or a cross over.

I always liked the Olds wagons with the Vista Cruiser roof or the big Ford LTD wagons.

I have owned a couple of Benz wagons, a 1989 300 TE and a 2002 C320 wagon. I gave them to my kids...wish I still had them.

I may forget about the rack, sell the convertible and get a s/w. My bikes and my dogs would probably be happier.

Again thank you for your sentiments. We are a brotherhood/sisterhood. When something bad happens to one of us, it happens to all of us.
I drive a 1999 Ford Taurus SE station wagon. A dark metallic green. My wheelchair and velo hauler. Wish I had a Mercedes 300 TD Wagon or better Volvo wagon. Being that I have to have practical haulers for daily life due to rigid frame wheelchairs, my bikes, and also hauling HiFi back and forth repairing it, a Station Wagon functions best for me, or a small van. Have to have hand controls, a steering knob, and power steering and brakes. License requires it. So the bike, is my sports car. We cyclists really are a brotherhood, close knit cyclists tend to be watchful for their colleagues. I ride with a group of regulars, they're very protective and supportive of me, and me being the slowest and least mobile of their group. I love being a part of their rides, and proud they accept me as who I am and what I can do. Love at you always!!!

Last edited by Kent T; 07-09-19 at 09:05 PM.
Old 07-09-19, 11:12 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by Kent T
I drive a 1999 Ford Taurus SE station wagon. A dark metallic green. My wheelchair and velo hauler. Wish I had a Mercedes 300 TD Wagon or better Volvo wagon. Being that I have to have practical haulers for daily life due to rigid frame wheelchairs, my bikes, and also hauling HiFi back and forth repairing it, a Station Wagon functions best for me, or a small van. Have to have hand controls, a steering knob, and power steering and brakes. License requires it. So the bike, is my sports car. We cyclists really are a brotherhood, close knit cyclists tend to be watchful for their colleagues. I ride with a group of regulars, they're very protective and supportive of me, and me being the slowest and least mobile of their group. I love being a part of their rides, and proud they accept me as who I am and what I can do. Love at you always!!!
The 240 series Volvo wagons are great. A friend of mine had one and the rear cargo area could swallow huge loads of cargo. They were a bit underpowered, which was always a problem in So. Cal.freeways, but his lasted over 300k miles. The 300 TD is another great wagon, those old diesel engines are bomb proof. I have always liked the big Ford wagons, they remind me of a land yacht.

When the new Taurus came out, their shape was unusual and eye catchy. Ford sold LOTS of them for good reason.

Like I wrote, wagons are great vehicles, practical for a lot of different uses and not as bulky as an SUV, also probably easier on the environment.

We are a strong community joined by a common interest. There may be a few “bad apples” but for the most part I would much rather spend time, and share a coffee, or a beer, with fellow cyclists than with just about anyone else (including some of my own relatives).

Have fun and ride safely.
Old 08-15-21, 05:26 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
Last Saturday my THULE hitch rack was stolen right from my car....
My apologies for raising an unfortunate incident and a zombie thread from the dead...

I've been researching a new bike rack and I'm hesitant about buying a Thule due to the lack of a decent locking mechanism. I saw one reference that said thieves can take a tow strap and attach it to a mounted rack and just yank it out of the hitch with their vehicle. No defeating of locks needed. Perfect.

My question..do you or anyone know if this rack can be mounted to a hitch using a standard hitch-pin lock? Or is there too much of Thule's own locking mechanism in the way and a hitch pin can't run through it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.