Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

When can I expect riding to become enjoyable?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

When can I expect riding to become enjoyable?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-20, 07:59 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Hmmm. My thoughts are similar to others in this thread.

Riding the same streets and paths everyday, would bore me too. Unless I was a commuter, I would ride only every other day and mix in other activities in those non-bicycling days.

Riding to the local coffee shop or grocery store is a great reason to put in some bike miles with a purpose behind it. That's pretty much why I have a bike set up as a utility bike, so when I don't feel like riding I have the option to not take a car. I'm almost always happy after I complete that ride no matter how much I might not want to go to the store.

I'm with others in wanting to know what kind of 3-speed bike is being ridden. Nothing wrong with a 3-speed if you don't mind the wide gap in the gears, but it may bore a former BMXer to tears, unless it's an adult sized BMX style bike that happens to have a 3-speed hub on the rear wheel. Some imitation fixie/single speed bikes came like that, which is a pretty neat idea for those that want it.

Maybe it's a simple as keeping the 3-speed and adding a completely different type of bike to the stable? Ride every other day, instead of every day, and pick a different bike on the riding days. But don't pick another copy of what you have right now.
Old 11-10-20, 11:20 AM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by IGH_Only
I definitely think getting up enough endurance is one of the main issues, which I anticipate will improve. The first couple of days were the toughest by far. Enjoy or not, I don't hate it by any means (except the short uphills) and considering that almost every human being spends most of their days doing plenty of things they'd rather not, it could be be much worse.
Stop looking at it as a health issue that you have to fight through and start looking at it as a START to a lifetime of living better one pedal stroke at a time.
Old 11-10-20, 11:42 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I'm not the first to say this ... I smile every time I ride. I can be on a bike in the worst conditions and still find joy (pic).
I've noticed that when I'm out in crappy weather, everybody who's out there has a big stupid grin on their face. Now during the winter it's because their faces are frozen solid, but still.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 11-10-20, 11:48 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
I've noticed that when I'm out in crappy weather, everybody who's out there has a big stupid grin on their face. Now during the winter it's because their faces are frozen solid, but still.
Old 11-10-20, 12:00 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Find someone to ride with.

Changes from focusing on the discomfort to chatting, and wanting to not look bad to the other person.

Eventually, fitness improves, and with it, enjoyment.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 11-10-20, 12:29 PM
hazetguy 
only here for the "LIKES"

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 1642 Post(s)
Liked 2,230 Times in 1,047 Posts
I'd like to know what the "3 speed entry level bike" is, and your general location. Please post some pics of what you're riding.

I know around here, there is no way I'd get any enjoyment out of riding a "3 speed entry level bike". I wouldn't even want to ride something like that to the end of my street, let alone 8+ miles.
Likes For hazetguy:
Old 11-10-20, 12:52 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by hazetguy
I'd like to know what the "3 speed entry level bike" is, and your general location. Please post some pics of what you're riding.
It's a distant relative of custom ti 3 speeds bikes that are popular with the Rapha racer boy types.

And I too would love to see some pics. Proof of life pics.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-10-20, 01:22 PM
momoman

Bikes: 2013 Wilier Gran Turismo, 1983 Trek 760, 80's Colnago Super, 90's De Rosa SLX, 2009 Waterford 22 Series Singlespeed, 85 Medici Pro Strada, De Rosa Alumino frameset, Dave Molten Fuso frameset, 70's beater Peugeot PX10, Zizzo Liberte, 2022 Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by hazetguy

I know around here, there is no way I'd get any enjoyment out of riding a "3 speed entry level bike". I wouldn't even want to ride something like that to the end of my street, let alone 8+ miles.
I agree. Can you try renting a better bike to see if it makes the ride more enjoyable? Perhaps try a city bike or hybrid bike with more gears and more precision.
Likes For momoman:
Old 11-10-20, 02:37 PM
Cpn_Dunsel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 61 Posts
Find a person you really like spending time with and do it with them.
Old 11-10-20, 02:58 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

I currently ride a 3 speed entry level bike. I think enjoy it for the most part but don't have a comparative basis.

EDIT to add that I did very much enjoy BMXing as a teen which is one of the reasons I started up again.
These have a BMX vibe. Full size bikes, probably have to hunt for used ones.

Thinking of 3-speeds, this discontinued bike is pretty cool.

https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...ectra-moto-3i/

Of course, an 8 speed IGH can be better.

https://www.trekbicyclesuperstore.co...i-350460-1.htm

Last edited by FiftySix; 11-10-20 at 03:02 PM. Reason: always fixin' links
Old 11-10-20, 03:05 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
For an even more BMX vibe, I'd be looking for a used Cannondale Hooligan. They're awesome. SOme have external gears, some are singlespeed, and some have 3 (5?) IGH.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cann...t=opera&hs=OKe
Likes For CargoDane:
Old 11-10-20, 03:08 PM
GAtkins

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR7 Project One 62cm- 2010 Specialized Allez 61cm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 44 Posts
It's not the photos, which I have no motivation to do so I definitely will not
So you're not motivated enough to provide some photos in an effort to get help from some folks who genuinely want to provide it?

Glenn
Likes For GAtkins:
Old 11-10-20, 03:15 PM
Cacti

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Interesting OP because I'm literally just taking a break from putting my first bike together (my wheel is rubbing against the disc pads, so if anyone can help me out with that I'd greatly appreciate it!)

I have many of the same questions you pose. I live in AZ where I swim in the summer because it's unimaginably hot and was looking for a winter activity other than hiking. I hate treadmills, running, or even walking. I thought I might enjoy some of the very things you mentioned that you now say does nothing for you. Really hope I'm different. I love fresh air and hoping that adding a little speed makes biking more fun than running for me. There are also tons of trails and bike paths to explore where I live. Otherwise, your post is utterly depressing for someone who's been totally amped to go on their first

Now if I can just get the front wheel to stop rubbing..
Old 11-10-20, 03:23 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by Cacti

I have many of the same questions you pose. I live in AZ where I swim in the summer because it's unimaginably hot and was looking for a winter activity other than hiking. I hate treadmills, running, or even walking. I thought I might enjoy some of the very things you mentioned that you now say does nothing for you. Really hope I'm different. I love fresh air and hoping that adding a little speed makes biking more fun than running for me. There are also tons of trails and bike paths to explore where I live. Otherwise, your post is utterly depressing for someone who's been totally amped to go on their first
I love bicycling compared to running. When you stop running the breeze stops. When you quit pedaling the breeze is still there . . . for a while, anyway.
Old 11-10-20, 03:31 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Interesting OP because I'm literally just taking a break from putting my first bike together (my wheel is rubbing against the disc pads, so if anyone can help me out with that I'd greatly appreciate it!)
Insert your wheel where it is supposed to be, loosen the two bolts holding the caliper (just a little), wrap a piece of cardboard (or a playing card) around the rotor (or use two small pieces - on on each side), pull the brake lever hard, then hold it there (not as firm a grip is needed) while you tighten the two caliper bolts. Now, release the lever, rotate the wheel so you can remove the padding, and you should be all set.

It's easier to show you than explain in writing, but I bet there is some YT video of it out there.
Likes For CargoDane:
Old 11-10-20, 03:40 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Cpn_Dunsel
Find a person you really like spending time with and do it with them.
Family forum, pal. Reported!
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-10-20, 03:42 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by GAtkins
So you're not motivated enough to provide some photos in an effort to get help from some folks who genuinely want to provide it?

Glenn
And what does that tell you?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-10-20, 03:46 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,855 Times in 6,071 Posts
So I have been riding 8-10 miles for almost 3 weeks now, almost every day. I will be going to every other day primarily due to elbow pain issues, as well as thigh soreness. But I digress. In all honesty, there is nothing I enjoy all that much about it. I want to quit the first couple of miles almost every single time. Somehow, I've manage to always complete the predetermined route, usually with a bit of tiredness.

I thought I'd enjoy the scenery of streets and trails I've never seen before. Nope. I thought I enjoy getting out a lot more having been shuttered in during the pandemic. Not so much. And I genuinely hate with a passion every overpass and underpass that I have to go through. But even having said all that, I have a strong compulsion to keep going every single time and especially before the ride begins. I've never cut off a ride earlier than I planned. I feel forced to ride before the journey begins so it's certainly not a lack of motivation problem. Which is a bit unusual because knowing myself I could have easily given up for good after the first few days/a week.

I don't have any plans to quit any time soon. I'm not sure if I do it for the fitness. I think definitely to some extent. I don't think I do it just to play with the shiny new toy. So I guess all that is background for should I expect to get to a place where I like it more? Would a much better bike make it more enjoyable? I currently ride a 3 speed entry level bike. I think enjoy it for the most part but don't have a comparative basis.
I don't know what to tell you. 25 years ago, having not ridden a bike in two decades, I bought a cheapish Cannondale hybrid to commute, because I'd moved to within 2 miles of my workplace. Within a week I was looking for ways home that took longer and went farther, and within a month or so I started riding just for grins. Everything you're finding yourself NOT feeling, I feel. Hell, I even enjoy seeing the same scenery multiple times a week!

All of this is to say, life's too short to engage in a hobby that doesn't bring you joy. If it's just the pain that bothers you, then try bike fit adjustments. But if you don't find it enjoyable and satisfying in its own right, maybe find another hobby.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 11-10-20, 03:47 PM
GAtkins

Originally Posted by indyfabz
And what does that tell you?
End of thread...
Likes For GAtkins:
Old 11-10-20, 04:14 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Would a much better bike make it more enjoyable? I currently ride a 3 speed entry level bike. I think enjoy it for the most part but don't have a comparative basis.
This is what I'm thinking. When I started riding it was on a heavy Walmart mountain bike which didn't exactly fit me correctly. When I bought a skinny tire bike which actually fit me it was like the difference between night and day. Riding wasn't a chore any more, it was a heck of a lot more fun.
Old 11-10-20, 04:17 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
You may Like Pig walking?
That's kind of harsh. She's not that bad looking.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 11-10-20, 05:47 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by GAtkins
End of thread...
They shoot horses, don’t they?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-10-20, 06:00 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts

Now if I can just get the front wheel to stop rubbing..
Each person's experience is unique, and so I would not worry about the OP. I'd worry about the wheel. So far as I know there are good online tutorials about adjusting disc brakes. All I can really suggest is that there is no rule for how long it will take to get over your muscles getting used to a new activity, so be patient with yourself.
Old 11-10-20, 06:27 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
Sometimes they beat them. Especially the dead ones.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 11-10-20, 06:47 PM
GAtkins

Straight to the glue factory!
Likes For GAtkins:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.