Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Best of Classic & Vintage 2020

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Best of Classic & Vintage 2020

Old 12-21-20, 10:56 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 530 Posts
Not all bad, put more miles on my bikes, then any year previous.
Tim
Old 12-21-20, 11:08 PM
Brad L 

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 315 Posts
I completed the restoration of my 1971 PX-10.

Likes For Brad L:
Old 12-22-20, 11:00 AM
retrodude

Bikes: 1984 & 1990 Marinoni Specials - 1990 Bianchi Sika - 1993 Cannondale M800 - 1996 GT Zaskar - 1993 Kona Kilauea - 1987 Ritchey Ascent - 1996 Rocky Mountain Vertex - 2008 Kona Dogma - 1976 Schwinn Suburban - 1994 Kuwahara Makai

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
2020 was different in that I didn't buy any bikes but I did try to sell a couple. Ended up breaking them both up and selling the parts; because I was unable to find buyers for the frames, one is going to become a "project to be revealed later" and the other? I don't know yet, but framesets are easier to store than full bikes so for now they both reside under my bed.

After nearly a year running Suntour/Sugino on the Casati I put it back to Campy and sold off all the other stuff. I bought very little this year besides consumables; I stocked up on my favorite tire throughout the year whenever I discovered them at good prices:

But the best score of the year? This:

DD
Nice MK IIs! Looks like NOS, I scored some good condition used ones with a $50 complete bike purchase (probably my best score for a parts bike), just trying to decide where to use the MK IIs
Old 12-22-20, 11:08 AM
retrodude

Bikes: 1984 & 1990 Marinoni Specials - 1990 Bianchi Sika - 1993 Cannondale M800 - 1996 GT Zaskar - 1993 Kona Kilauea - 1987 Ritchey Ascent - 1996 Rocky Mountain Vertex - 2008 Kona Dogma - 1976 Schwinn Suburban - 1994 Kuwahara Makai

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 58 Posts
Being Canadian and no way to visit my trailer in Birch Bay Washington state since March I have not been able to look for nice discarded bikes at the park dump this year (I have found many over the years). I have resorted to CL & Facebook and had some fun buying good deals, fixing them up, plan to wait for next spring to sell a couple when sale prices should be up again. My best of 2020 would have to be the full super record (accept headset & brake levers) Gardin I helped my 17 year old buy though. What a beauty! I put a lot of elbow grease into making it pristine for him

As bought:

After some TLC:

Old 12-22-20, 11:08 AM
daka

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course, Raleigh International, Raleigh Gran Sport

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by Brad L
I completed the restoration of my 1971 PX-10.

Now that is pretty!
Old 12-22-20, 02:16 PM
scooterpants

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre Xr4, Bianchi Proto, Pegoretti Duende, Rossin Ghibli, Rossin Record, Zullo, Tesch S-22, DeRosa SLX, Concorde Genius, Basso Ascot, Guerciotti TriStar, Meca Super Turbo, Pinarello Montello, 2 Masi Gran Criteriums,, Biemmezetta Cronostar

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Also posted on American Builders on FB.
What group is that??? I am in usAmerican Built Frames Only group.
Old 12-22-20, 03:55 PM
Johno59

Bikes: 1903 24 spd Sunbeam, 1927 Humber, 3 1930 Raleighs, 2 1940s Sunbeams, 2 1940s Raleighs, Rudge, 1950s Robin Hood, 1958 Claud Butler, 2 1973 Colnago Supers, Eddie Merckx, 2 1980 Holdsworth, EG Bates funny TT bike, another 6 or so 1990s bikes

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 185 Posts
Noob

Originally Posted by alexihnen
Well, before 2020 I didn't collect old bikes. Now I do. I've learned a lot, discovered what kind of bikes I really enjoy, met some great people, and haven't made too many costly mistakes along the way. I'm excited to move on to the next phase of collecting. When I started I couldn't really understand why someone might move along a bike they cherished, why they might trade a bike, or sell something without getting the maximum price. I'm getting there. 2021 will clearly be a year of finishing builds and clearing out parts boxes.

Put a rack above those on the right - likewise the rear wall, but hang the bikes vertically rather than horizontally, and you'll fit in twice as many trusty steeds without anyone noticing the difference!
Likes For Johno59:
Old 12-24-20, 07:16 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked 615 Times in 275 Posts
Originally Posted by alexihnen
Showed this to my wife-

ME: See? I don't have a problem!

WIFE: But you have that many bikes in the barn.

ME:I do Not!

WIFE: Go count them.

Did a quick trip to the barn. Then quickly changed the subject.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Likes For top506:
Old 12-24-20, 09:31 AM
bikeaddiction1

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by top506
Showed this to my wife-

ME: See? I don't have a problem!

WIFE: But you have that many bikes in the barn.

ME:I do Not!

WIFE: Go count them.

Did a quick trip to the barn. Then quickly changed the subject.

I don't consider my double digit bike count and racks of parts to be a "bike problem" as some friends and family have referred to it. I do, however have a storage problem. I wish I had a barn too.
Likes For bikeaddiction1:
Old 12-24-20, 10:53 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,897 Times in 889 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeaddiction1
I don't consider my double digit bike count and racks of parts to be a "bike problem" as some friends and family have referred to it. I do, however have a storage problem. I wish I had a barn too.
They're just jealous.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 12-24-20, 09:57 PM
justcynn

Bikes: Lots of Schwinns

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 114 Posts
Discovered C&V collecting/wrenching/riding as a hobby for the pandemic. . Flipped a dozen bikes have 7 in progress for sale, used the proceeds to help buy/build bikes I like.

(2) '80 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8. Restored 1 to be mostly original and the 2nd a late model resto mod. '78 LeTour Single Speed Gravel, '87 Schwinn Voyageur (in progress), '87 Trek 520. All are Touring bikes, not really planned just worked out that way, Really like the bike man cave concept in this thread. Going to have to work on that! Merry Christmas

1980 Voyageur 11.8, restored to mostly original condition with 700c wheels

1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, bought as you see it - very good condition

1980 Voyageur 11.8 with 2020 type parts. Should come in under 24 lbs including the rear rack when done.

1987 Schwinn Voyageur next up for Restore, Another $50 or less bargain I couldn't pass up.
Likes For justcynn:
Old 12-25-20, 12:05 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 318 Posts
2020 was OK for me except the few Orginized Rides I planned on doing were cancelled. L'Eroica was missed but we still managed to go out to Cambria and ride our vintage bikes on the short course.

The monthly Brian Bayliss Birthday Rides were always a fun time as well.

Good Times.

Likes For Manny66:
Old 12-25-20, 01:13 PM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked 1,802 Times in 1,037 Posts
Originally Posted by scooterpants
2020 allowed me time and renewed excitement to complete a frame I had always wanted to build. It would have been in my friends booth at the NAHBS show in Dallas but we all know how that turned out....

I love those webbed lugs!
Old 12-26-20, 10:50 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 819 Posts
Great thread, delightful pictures. Now that my wife and I, both mid-century products, qualify easily as "classics," we are thankful for our health and each other and our wonderful extended family.

To stay on a C&V theme, I am also thankful to my wife's younger sister, who solved her quandary of what to do with her beloved, but unused, 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse by making it my Christmas present.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 12-26-20, 07:04 PM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 3,771 Times in 664 Posts
BEFORE THE WHEELS CAME OFF 2020 @gugie @Holiday-76 @Spaghetti Legs @nlerner and @Soup_Please were blissfully ignorant meeting up down in Arizona in February that this would be the last 'normal' ride of the year.
Brunch stop at the Mercado by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Most flew in from different parts of the country and I drove down stopping along the way in Death Valley for a couple of nights camping at Furnace Creek and riding my bike.
Dantes Overlook by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr
Mount Lemmon, Saguaro National Park, Gates Pass then a “Cino” type ride up to Montezuma Pass near the Mexican border…

But the highlight was a visit to the famous Bizbee Bike Brothel after our last day of riding.
Ken, giving us a dee-lux tour of the place, regaling us with stories shared over shots of whiskey and tequila from his personal bar.

Bisbee Bike Brothel
Sippin' whiskey and Tequila at the Brothel by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

The Woodrup touring bike was the ‘bike of choice’ this year.
Me n my Bike by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr\]
The big handlebar bag holds more than enough to be self sufficient for long COVID Wanderings and the generator lighting opened up the realm of night riding which turned out to be THE BEST TAKEAWAY OF 2020:

Discovering how cool riding at night during a full moon is.
The first one I did was in Mt. Rainier National Park in August and that set the hook. Here is a write up I did of it at the time:

“Checked off a bucket list item last night. This one, a ride through Mt. Rainier National Park at night during a full moon was inspired by my friend, David Cummings who had invited me out to Montana a few years ago to do a moonlight ride on the Going to the Sun Road in Glacier N.P.
I had tried to get someone to go with me but got no takers so I did it on my own which made my wife Robin nervous but I negotiated with her and compromised by promising to start farther up Stevens Canyon Road by the Box Canyon where it opens up from the dense tree canopy of Backbone Ridge providing better light and sightlines for safety.
I drove down in the early afternoon and found a nice camp site in the La Wis-Wis campground on the Nisqually River set back a mile or so from the intersection of Highway 12 and Wa 123. After setting up camp, I walked some trails nearby, made dinner and tried to wait patiently for it to get dark. I got impatient after a while, got the bike ready and rode off twords Packwood around 7:30 with these two little imaginary angels standing on my shoulders. Bad angel was telling me to keep rolling on through and do the 60 mile “RATROD” loop route that has you get into the park at Longmire from Skate Creek Road. As I was nearing Packwood, the good angel reminded me that I had PROMISED Robin that I’d start up by Box Canyon. Bad angel tried his best to keep me going but in the end, I turned around, went back to the campground and tossed the bike in the car for the drive into the Park via the east entrance just as I had promised.
Driving over Backbone Ridge on the way to Box Canyon, the sun had dropped below the horizon and the sky and surrounding hillsides were painted in muted pastel hues of pink and blue, just past the ‘golden hour’ photographers call that time of day.
Night was beginning to take hold when I pushed off from the Box Canyon and through a short rough hewn tunnel that marks the beginning of the climb up Stevens Canyon proper. Several cars passed me early on going the other way but none going in my direction. It was so quiet and in the dim lighting, my eyes played tricks on me as shadows sometimes do in twilight making me ’see’ large elk or bear up ahead on the road shoulders only to vaporize into large rocks or tree snags as I got closer. The 1st view of Rainier on the climb up is after going around a hairpin turn on the bare rocky scree slope a couple of miles from Reflection lakes. The sky was now a dirty violet and sprinkled with a few bright stars. The moon hadn’t risen yet and the mountain was just a dark silhouette. I was beginning to wonder if I had started too early. I am back into the trees for a while on the other side of the ridge from Reflection Lakes and it is much darker. I head almost due north up the final climb to paradise and the air begins to get a little chilly. Not enough for a jacket because I am climbing but it does make me glad I brought it for the descent…
There is one final pitch before you reach Paradise where the Mountain looms over your left shoulder and you begin to see the tops of the Visitors Center and the Guide Hut that is your goal. As I reached this point, the moon in all it’s glory - big and fat appeared directly in front of me just having cleared the eastern horizon. I pulled over and stopped at one of the picnic tables outside the Visitors Center. The parking lot was empty, no other people around. I hung around and ate some snacks I’d brought watching the moon get higher, smaller and brighter in the sky. The Mountain began to illuminate displaying textures and hues of violet against a sky of dark indigo decorated with stars. Above the moon, two of the brightest objects in the sky were Jupiter and Saturn (or so say the local tv weatherman). The sound of a large low flying helicopter approaching from the east snapped me out of my moonlight trance. It was a twin rotor US Army Chinook probably en route to Joint Base Lewis McChord. Time to put on my jacket and head back down.
Rounding the bend just below Paradise Lodge I drop into the Paradise Valley and immediately I’m overwhelmed by a microclimate of cold, moist air fueled by the Glacier and the river it spawned above me. I shiver violently and have a hard time controlling the bike. It was kind of spooky - like I had just ridden into an army of ghosts because it had happened so quickly. I stopped several times in the next mile just to warm up.
The intense chill disappeared when I turned off the Paradise Valley Road and onto the Stevens Canyon Road. Moonlight overhead illuminating the route ahead, the temps rise as I lost elevation in Stevens Canyon which is great because you need full control of the bike descending on that tortured mountain road surface at night.
The road is pockmarked with craters, cracks and frost heaves as nature does it’s best to obliterate it every winter. It’s in a constant state of repair.
I finally reach the car at Box Canyon and drive back to camp around 1AM happy that I had gotten the chance to do this.
At this point in my life, I feel it’s important to do the things you really want to do while you still have your health. I just wish I had some ride partners to share it with.
Riding at night in the mountains is very cool. Your senses are on heightened alert and my imagination takes me places I haven't been since I was a kid.
Now I am thinking of other full moon rides to do in the future. Mckenzie Pass in Oregon and Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mtn. N.P. immediately come to mind……."
Rode Stevens Canyon to Paradise last night by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Last edited by northbend; 12-27-20 at 02:24 AM.
Old 12-26-20, 09:23 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 225 Posts
I restored over 50 bikes this year for the Silicon Valley Bicycle Exchange. Everything from a Bianchi to a Vent Noir. Quite a few mountain bikes too. Our year, briefly, in numbers:
  • 546 bikes donated
  • 5,023 volunteer hours
  • 318 volunteers
  • 495 homework bikes
Not too shabby considering we Had to close the shop in March so most of the work was done by volunteers working at home.
You can read more here
https://bikex.org/20-blog/195-2020-y...nd-many-thanks
Old rigid frame mountain bikes have been a thing with me . after cleaning them up and doing some upgrades they have been selling like hotcakes.
Likes For capnjonny:
Old 12-27-20, 02:59 PM
r0ckh0und 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 100 Posts
In addition to finding some great bikes in 2020, I was able to find homes for 20+ bikes that I've had around for a few years.

The Best of's are currently still in as found condition for the most part........this late 70's British Eagle with mostly DA.

The most recent acquisition was this Fuji Opus III in very nice condition. Unfortunately the original wheels have been replaced.

While visiting my daughter out in Bozeman over the summer, I picked up this Super Course as a frame set and I've been throwing some parts at it to see what sticks.

And last but not least.....this Schwinn Gremlin was a local curb find. Still on the lookout for a set of original tires.

Old 12-27-20, 08:17 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
It's been a year of consecutive injuries, with the lock down thrown in for good measure. I doubt I have 1000 miles this year.
And on the plus side I am n-3 and 14 pounds lighter.
Likes For seedsbelize:
Old 12-28-20, 09:42 AM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked 1,802 Times in 1,037 Posts
After looking for years for a Peter Mooney in my size and price range, I found this one.

It's a little smaller than I like, but I made it work with longer stem and post...
Likes For Rocket-Sauce:
Old 12-28-20, 11:07 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4667 Post(s)
Liked 5,766 Times in 2,271 Posts
The year started out with a bang, fizzled out, then recovered somewhat as we all adjusted to the "new normal".

A quick plane flight in the before times to Arizona, an RV, and 5 BFer's as @northbend described in his earlier post. Although I was the last man up the steep, winding gravel pitch of Montezuma Pass, I was proud to do it without stopping. I took my new to me Motobecane Le Champion that I picked up at Eroica California last year.

The Bisbee Bicycle Brothel should be on any C&Ver's bucket list. I picked up some souvenirs.

When s*** hit the fan, it was local riding, alone, but not much of it. Finally I decided that one can social distance ride an S24O with one or two friends if the campsite is large enough to spread out. After a couple of years leading out large groups on the beautiful, hard, mostly gravel North Trask route from Portlandia to Tillamook, and always stopping at "the ol' swimmin' hole" for lunch, @aggiegrads and I figured it was time to do an out and back with his teenage son.

Riding with a packed saddle bag, I realized it was time to make a set of lowriders for my gravel bike, and ordered a set of Swift Jr. Ranger's to go along with it. This gives me just the right amount of volume to add a tent, sleeping bag, and cookset along the rest of my overnight kit.

I tried out this combo on another S24O, this time with @Andy_K and @SquireBlack. We rode from Estacada (Oregon) to the Ripplebrook campgrounds, all paved, and were lucky to find an unused campsite there - it seemed that everone in Oregon was out camping this summer, as it was something that you could do.

The best add to my camping kit this year was a lightweight foldable chair. Andy had the same idea.

Like the Arizona trip, we just snuck this one in. Forest fires in Oregon burned through the area in both of the two pics above just a few weeks later.
@northbend mentioned his newly found passion for midnight full moon riding. He suggested we do McKenzie Pass late in the summer from Sisters. It's not a difficult or long climb, so we decided to ride the Columbia River Gorge in the morning, then drive separately to Sisters, camp and take a nap, then wake up and ride the Pass. I brought my Grander Sportier, Matt took his custom Woodrup.

Horsetail Falls

It felt odd driving separately, a concession to the times. I'd never driven through the dry side of eastern Oregon much before, the geography made me want to come back and explore it by bike next year. After we stopped in Sisters for pizza al fresco, we drove over to the campsite, set an alarm and took a 2 hour nap. It was odd waking up in the middle of the night to go on a bike ride, but once we got going it felt good. Not long after the climbing started we left the cover of the forest and turned our lights off. Matt's a much stronger rider than I am, and was soon far ahead. I think he got spooked a couple of times, or was just being polite as he turned around to meet back up with me. It was like to ghosts approaching each other on separate sides of the road. Finally we got to the top, climbed up the WPA project observatory and took in the night scene.

Last edited by gugie; 12-28-20 at 12:16 PM.
Likes For gugie:
Old 12-28-20, 11:09 AM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 86 Posts
How

Originally Posted by justcynn
Discovered C&V collecting/wrenching/riding as a hobby for the pandemic. . Flipped a dozen bikes have 7 in progress for sale, used the proceeds to help buy/build bikes I like.

(2) '80 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8. Restored 1 to be mostly original and the 2nd a late model resto mod. '78 LeTour Single Speed Gravel, '87 Schwinn Voyageur (in progress), '87 Trek 520. All are Touring bikes, not really planned just worked out that way, Really like the bike man cave concept in this thread. Going to have to work on that! Merry Christmas

1980 Voyageur 11.8, restored to mostly original condition with 700c wheels

1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, bought as you see it - very good condition

1980 Voyageur 11.8 with 2020 type parts. Should come in under 24 lbs including the rear rack when done.

1987 Schwinn Voyageur next up for Restore, Another $50 or less bargain I couldn't pass up.
i like to hear you actually flipped the bikes and actually funded the buying of bikes you wanted . I seem to break even or loose money on the ones I fixed up , then change my mind and want to try another bike. My most recent purchase is a vintage Super Course MK ll, pretty minty, needs all bearings repacked , grease was hard was so unused. I paid 275,. I actually thinking of keeping it after I see how it rides. Do you have a formula, like buying price and selling prices points. Not looking for profit , but I like the idea of funding another purchase by flipping . I am wanting to try a titanium road bike and they sure seem pricey ,, 1500+ used ??
Old 12-28-20, 11:43 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4667 Post(s)
Liked 5,766 Times in 2,271 Posts
Bikes bought, projects completed

I'd promised myself to thin the herd. Yeah, right. Instead I picked up a couple of bikes that were too good to pass up.
@obrentharris offered his gorgeous LeJeune at a price I could not refuse. It was the first bike with tubulars and vintage Campagnolo gruppo I'd owned or ridden in more than 3 decades. It rides great!

French fit for $700, Alex

Next I stumbled upon a Centurion Semi-Pro offered up by hwheel72. As an impressionable teenager I saw one of these in an LBS in Fresno, California. It was up on the top display rack. The winter sun was streaming in through the shop windows at a low angle, and hit the chromed bits just right. It was like looking at the open briefcase in Pulp Fiction. I wanted it, but could not afford to buy it. Now I can!

A note on both of these sellers - perfectly boxed, well packed, quickly shipped, I recommend both sellers!

In March I was sure that the 650b conversion business would dry up. Instead, my backlog grew. With fewer options to spend my time on I spent more time in the Atelier hacking, cutting, torching, and modifying perfectly good vintage frames. There was another Raleigh Super Tourer, Raleigh Grand Sport, a Trek 620, a Witcomb, a CERA (actually a 26" conversion with some most interesting mods), a Bertin C37, another Grand Sport and a Gillot mixte. Add to that a few frame repairs and a half dozen custom decaleurs, and I realize it's been a fairly busy year!

I've got 3 personal frames I'd like to build that keep getting pushed out. Maybe I'll get to one of them next year!

Last edited by gugie; 12-28-20 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-28-20, 11:54 AM
SquireBlack 

Bikes: '66 Lygie, '02 Rivendell Atlantis, '03 Air Friday, '21 Black Shadow Campeur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie

I tried out this combo on another S24O, this time with @Andy_K and @SquireBlack. We rode from Estacada (Oregon) to the Ripplebrook campgrounds, all paved, and were lucky to find an unused campsite there - it seemed that everone in Oregon was out camping this summer, as it was something that you could do.

Save that photo, Gugie! It may be the only extant evidence that I actually rode that Co-motion Divide.
Old 12-29-20, 01:00 PM
justcynn

Bikes: Lots of Schwinns

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 114 Posts
Originally Posted by rossiny
i like to hear you actually flipped the bikes and actually funded the buying of bikes you wanted . I seem to break even or loose money on the ones I fixed up , then change my mind and want to try another bike. My most recent purchase is a vintage Super Course MK ll, pretty minty, needs all bearings repacked , grease was hard was so unused. I paid 275,. I actually thinking of keeping it after I see how it rides. Do you have a formula, like buying price and selling prices points. Not looking for profit , but I like the idea of funding another purchase by flipping . I am wanting to try a titanium road bike and they sure seem pricey ,, 1500+ used ??
I wouldn’t say I am particularly good at it- but my formula is if I know it’s a higher dollar bike and I can make at least $100 net on eBay - then I will go through the trouble of buying and shipping it. Same for local flips. Have to believe I can make $100+. I don’t count the cost of used parts from my parts bin but I do count the cost of new consumables. If a $150 bike is bought for $50 but needs tubes, tires, and tape- I tend to pass. Unless it’s my size, I like the color and I can ride it. I buy all of those 😬

good luck