Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Loudest bike bell below $15CAD/$10USD

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-18-21, 12:40 PM
zijin_cheng

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking for recommendations on bike bells below $15CAD/$10USD. I heard a spurcycle and fell in love but $50 ($80CAD)??? Really???

So now I'm just looking for any bike bells that you know of that aren't super soft for the low low price of $15CAD/$10USD

EDIT: To be clear I'm not looking for a loud bike bell and being cheap about it, I'm looking for the loudest one amongst the multitude of $10 bells.
Old 06-18-21, 12:47 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,235 Times in 616 Posts
Go with a Horn as most Bells are not loud enough as many wear ear buds that block the bell sound.

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 06-23-21 at 11:09 AM.
Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 06-18-21, 01:58 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
For that kind of money, just go to Canadian Tire and buy the CCM Deluxe Bell for $12 plus tax. We have seven Spur Bells in this household and yes they are expensive, sound great and take up little real estate on the bars.

Depending on your province a bell may be legally required so that may play into my next suggestion. For years I used a Fox 40 whistle that I tied to my helmet. That thing was loud and got people's attention quick where even the best bell would have been drowned out by the traffic noise.
Likes For blakcloud:
Old 06-18-21, 02:47 PM
VicBC_Biker

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by zijin_cheng
Looking for recommendations on bike bells below $15CAD/$10USD. I heard a spurcycle and fell in love but $50 ($80CAD)??? Really???
Knockoffs of that Spurcycle are available for not much money. I'll never find out if mine is as good as the Spurcycle because there is no way I'll ever spend $80 CAD on a bike bell.
Old 06-18-21, 03:02 PM
fredlord

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
For years I used a Fox 40 whistle that I tied to my helmet.
Not sure how useful that would be in an emergency unless you have it in your mouth.
Likes For fredlord:
Old 06-18-21, 03:11 PM
VicBC_Biker

If the Spurcycle was priced reasnably, I would buy it. There's no way the cost should be more than $20 or so. It's simply an overpriced boutique item - the Gucci bag marketing model at work: charge a lot more and empty-headed, status-conscious people will want it.
And, there's nothing very unique about that design either.

Please report on how you like your Spurcycle bell and why it is worth the price.

Last edited by StanSeven; 06-20-21 at 03:44 PM.
Old 06-18-21, 04:54 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by fredlord
Not sure how useful that would be in an emergency unless you have it in your mouth.
When I commuted, it was always in my mouth on one side. I cycled in downtown Toronto, so you always had to be prepared. You would think it would be uncomfortable but I just got use to it. I used that system for at least five years. Now I don't commute by bike, so no need for the whistle.

I didn't come up with this idea on my own, I saw/heard someone else use one and thought that this was way better than using a bell.
Old 06-18-21, 05:03 PM
VicBC_Biker

About bell designs-
I have a no-name bell that I bought with the hybrid bike at the LBS years ago. It has a little handle I push (sideways) with my thumb, and it goes: "RRRRRRRINNNNNNNG" It's like the bells of the olden days - there's a spinning ringer inside.
I've bought-online- a couple of bells recently that I don't think will be nearly as useful, so I still haven't put them on my other (bell-less) bike.
Both of those bells are the type where you move a lever and release it and the bell goes: "DING".
One is a 'SAFER' (Made in UK) bell and the other is the Spurcycle knockoff. I wouldn't recommend either unless you enjoy flipping a lever again and again with your thumb.
Old 06-18-21, 06:00 PM
zijin_cheng

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VicBC_Biker
Knockoffs of that Spurcycle are available for not much money. I'll never find out if mine is as good as the Spurcycle because there is no way I'll ever spend $80 CAD on a bike bell.

Are they any good?

Last edited by zijin_cheng; 06-18-21 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-18-21, 06:01 PM
zijin_cheng

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For that kind of money, just go to Canadian Tire and buy the CCM Deluxe Bell for $12 plus tax. We have seven Spur Bells in this household and yes they are expensive, sound great and take up little real estate on the bars.

Depending on your province a bell may be legally required so that may play into my next suggestion. For years I used a Fox 40 whistle that I tied to my helmet. That thing was loud and got people's attention quick where even the best bell would have been drowned out by the traffic noise.
Got it. No whistles for me but I have shouted when in a pinch and it worked pretty well (cars obviously)
Old 06-18-21, 06:26 PM
VicBC_Biker

For that kind of money, just go to Canadian Tire and buy the CCM Deluxe Bell for $12 plus tax.
The last time I was in a local (Victoria BC) LBS, they had a few bells under $20. I agree with Blakcloud that in-person buying is better than online - a 2 second test of a bell will tell you more than a big description at a website.
Depending on your province a bell may be legally required so that may play into my next suggestion.
It can be complicated. In BC, a bell (or sound device??) isn't required by the provincial Motor Vehicle Act, but some municipalities have bylaws requiring them.
But the cops never seem to enforce the bike laws that are part of the MotorVehicle Act (no riding on sidewalks, stop at stop signs, ride single file) so I don't think you are likely to be ticketed for not having a bell.
However, if you are involved in a collision with a pedestrian and don't have a bell, you will have a major problem. And sometimes the pedestrians without earbuds/headphones do react when I ring the bike bell, so I'm glad I have it.
Old 06-18-21, 06:35 PM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
Yelling. Loudly.
Likes For grizzly59:
Old 06-18-21, 06:44 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
About bell designs-
I have a no-name bell that I bought with the hybrid bike at the LBS years ago. It has a little handle I push (sideways) with my thumb, and it goes: "RRRRRRRINNNNNNNG" It's like the bells of the olden days - there's a spinning ringer inside.
I use one of those too... The brand name is "Charge" and it was about $6.99 at Dick's Sporting Goods. It is really loud and the familiar sound it makes is recognized by everyone as a bike bell.

I owned a Spurcycle bell for a couple weeks and hated it, so I returned it. Not because of the price, but because I didn't like the stupid thwackDingggggggggg!! sound it made, the unnecessarily too-long sustain, the weird high pitch tone that same/many people don't recognize as coming from a bike... etc, etc. Sure, its a magnificent piece of craftsmanship made with great care in Oregon by men with beards, but when a cheap bell from a big-box store is LOUDER than the boutique bell, I have to go with the cheap bell.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 06-18-21, 06:53 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
My advice would be just to try the ones in the store and pick the loudest one. Any of the cheap stuff is likely to be rebranded anyway, and whatever is recommended here might not be the same bell that you buy under the same label.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 06-18-21, 07:15 PM
zijin_cheng

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grizzly59
Yelling. Loudly.
I already do that, and quite effectively I might add. But it gets tiring on trails so ringing is much less energy consuming.

Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
I use one of those too... The brand name is "Charge" and it was about $6.99 at Dick's Sporting Goods. It is really loud and the familiar sound it makes is recognized by everyone as a bike bell.

I owned a Spurcycle bell for a couple weeks and hated it, so I returned it. Not because of the price, but because I didn't like the stupid thwackDingggggggggg!! sound it made, the unnecessarily too-long sustain, the weird high pitch tone that same/many people don't recognize as coming from a bike... etc, etc. Sure, its a magnificent piece of craftsmanship made with great care in Oregon by men with beards, but when a cheap bell from a big-box store is LOUDER than the boutique bell, I have to go with the cheap bell.
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
My advice would be just to try the ones in the store and pick the loudest one. Any of the cheap stuff is likely to be rebranded anyway, and whatever is recommended here might not be the same bell that you buy under the same label.
I would agree just that in person is very diffcult right now in TO, as most if not all bike shops are pickup only.
Old 06-18-21, 08:27 PM
fredlord

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
I didn't like the stupid thwackDingggggggggg!! sound it made, the unnecessarily too-long sustain
Most of my bells are cheap and loud, but I admit to really liking the Spurcycle sound, and will sometimes ring it just to hear it.
Likes For fredlord:
Old 06-18-21, 08:56 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,578 Posts
If the Spurcycle was priced reasnably, I would buy it. There's no way the cost should be more than $20 or so. It's simply an overpriced boutique item - the Gucci bag marketing model at work: charge a lot more and empty-headed, status-conscious people will want it.
And, there's nothing very unique about that design either.

Please report on how you like your Spurcycle bell and why it is worth the price.
My Spurcycle bells (all 6 of them) are made in the U.S. from quality materials with more decent labor practices and has a lovely tone. Yeah it costs money but sometimes good things cost money. Yeah maybe slightly boutique but there are no logos on the bell and it is pretty small so I am not buying it to show off I am buying it because it works well and cuts through unlike other bells. I have seen and used all the other different cheap bells and they are OK but aren't exceptional loud or as well made.

I get it some South East Asian kid can be forced to make a cheaper product and some billionaire can sell it on his website for pretty cheap while the kid gets nothing and you can buy it for more than it is really worth and that is the cycle you want to perpetuate. I do like support more localized business and not have to ship as much as far and potentially support better labor conditions which isn't a bad idea.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 06-18-21, 09:29 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
No matter what you use, there's always going to be someone who won't notice it.

Bike bell: Once on a path through the park, I rang my bell as I was approaching a pedestrian from behind. She looked up at the sky thinking it was a bird. Many times, elderly people also can't hear it.

A few weeks ago, riding along a separated bike lane, I rang my bell at a guy who was crossing without looking. He didn't even hear the bell until all his friends yelled at him.

Air Zound: Riding along a protected bike lane, I sounded my Airzounds at a guy standing on the bike lane staring up at the building or something on the other side of the street. He just couldn't hear it until I stopped my bike right beside him and yelled "Hey!".

Loud Bike Car Horn: Just yesterday in a protected bike lane, I was almost right-hooked by a commercial van. I sounded the car-horn but I guess he was determined to race through the turn and to hell with the cyclists and pedestrians.

Sometimes I think the best thing is to keep your caliper breaks squeeky.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 06-18-21, 09:47 PM
VicBC_Biker

Veganbike:I prefer to buy from domestic companies (though not much is 'Made in Canada' any more) and support better working conditions, so I accept your arguments.
I also know that while globalization has been a disaster for Canadian manufacturing, it has raised hundreds of millions of people in Asia out of abject poverty.

If I thought the price wasn't so far out of line that I'm just being foolish to buy, I'd have 'the real thing'. I already paid about my limit for that 'Made in UK' bell, and it was a mistake.

Further info:
Spurcycle now has a 'Compact' bell that's 100% Made in Taiwan. MSRP:$39 USD

The Chinese knockoff costs $4.75 USD including shipping.

I'd also be surprised if all the Spurcycle sub-contractors employed only US citizens or legal immigrants in shops with good pay, job security and benefits. But it's certainly a possibility.
“Our sheet metal parts are formed in New Mexico, the wire form is made in Ohio, we have a turned part that comes from Reno [Nevada], there’s another turned part from Alabama, a plating vendor that’s all the way on the east coast in Pennsylvania, and then we have some parts that are made in Pleasanton, California,” said Spurcycle co-founder Clint Slone. “We do some assembly of the bells here in Sausalito, just north of San Francisco, and we also have a subcontractor that does assembly in Pleasanton.”
Not a bunch of hippies in Seattle or SanFran hand-building those one at a time - more like 'entrepreneurs' with a great business model.

An article about the Spurcycle bell mentions the Mirrycle bell https://www.mirrycle.com/product-category/bells/ as 'competition' (inspiration?) when the Slone brothers were developing the Spurcycle bell.
Old 06-18-21, 11:23 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
I like my Spurcycle and Incredibell Adjustabell 2 bells. Both only ring once per strike, so I generally ring them twice (not a postman) when passing. Easy to do because I mount my bell under the lever of my drop handlebars, so it's within reach even when I'm on the hoods. The Spurcycle sounds better (*chef's kiss*) but the Incredibell is about as loud, a lot easier to mount and move, and works better when it rains. Oh and it's generally under $10.

For flat handlebars pretty much anything under $10 seems to work the same in my experience.
Likes For surak:
Old 06-19-21, 01:02 AM
VicBC_Biker

Originally Posted by surak
Easy to do because I mount my bell under the lever of my drop handlebars, so it's within reach even when I'm on the hoods.
Can you post a pic, please?
I'm still trying to figure out where to put the bell on my road bike, and how to orient it so it will be easy to operate..
Old 06-19-21, 08:05 AM
MrWasabi

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Traverse 1.3, 2020 Electra Cruiser 1, 1995 Giant CFM-4

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 36 Posts
Anybody try the compact version of the Spurcycle?
https://www.spurcycle.com/products/s...2-compact-bell

I don't really have a need for a bell that much and this one looks good for basic needs and won't take up to much handlebar room. The other thing is that it's for 22.2mm max handlebar area only. My bars are 31.8 in the clamping area but in the area where I would put the bell, it looks like it would work?
https://sqlab-usa.com/products/302-s...ar-version-2-0

Anybody know for sure?
Old 06-19-21, 10:25 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,578 Posts
Veganbike:I prefer to buy from domestic companies (though not much is 'Made in Canada' any more) and support better working conditions, so I accept your arguments.
I also know that while globalization has been a disaster for Canadian manufacturing, it has raised hundreds of millions of people in Asia out of abject poverty.

If I thought the price wasn't so far out of line that I'm just being foolish to buy, I'd have 'the real thing'. I already paid about my limit for that 'Made in UK' bell, and it was a mistake.

Further info:
Spurcycle now has a 'Compact' bell that's 100% Made in Taiwan. MSRP:$39 USD

The Chinese knockoff costs $4.75 USD including shipping.

I'd also be surprised if all the Spurcycle sub-contractors employed only US citizens or legal immigrants in shops with good pay, job security and benefits. But it's certainly a possibility.

Not a bunch of hippies in Seattle or SanFran hand-building those one at a time - more like 'entrepreneurs' with a great business model.

An article about the Spurcycle bell mentions the Mirrycle bell https://www.mirrycle.com/product-category/bells/ as 'competition' (inspiration?) when the Slone brothers were developing the Spurcycle bell.
It is veganbikes just FYI and to get it linked up so the that poster will see it you will need to use the (AT) symbol @

I don't know that it has raised them out of poverty it has certainly created a lot more sweatshops and really low cost labor but I know poverty hasn't been alleviated because of it. Certainly there are some more rich people over there or they have gotten richer but the poor don't really change that much and even a tiny increase is not super sustainable for living.

As a Canadian would you buy Chinese Maple Syrup because it is $4 instead of $12 (or whatever) for Canadian Maple Syrup? I know Saskatoon would have to turn into a tropical paradise year long before I did that, if I was Canadian (Me I prefer it from Vermont).

They do now have the compact bell and I am not happy but they still make the original bell in the U.S. so I am ok.

I could see the complaints for the bell if it didn't do it's job well and was just a bunch of logos but honestly I don't believe it even says Spurcycle on the bell or on my tool either so unless you knew what it was already you wouldn't know whose stuff it is so clearly not a marketing ploy or some Guchi stuff!
Old 06-19-21, 11:41 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Have just the bell for you

https://velo-orange.com/collections/...s-striker-bell

Just put this on one my ebike. Loud, well made, looks great and only $14.

The ad says it has been made in the same small factory for decades. Not sure how that plays with the xenophobes because they don't mention the color of the people working in the factory. Can only tell you it is a very good bell, you won't be disappointed.

Touch large however, plus it didn't fit on the 31.8 mm portion of my bar.

does anyone else think it is ironic that people start bashing Chinese made stuff in a thread started by a guy with a Chinese sounding screen name?
Old 06-19-21, 01:37 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
I can whistle really loud without having to move my hand to ring a bell that most people are not going to hear. My shrill, shrieking, high pitched whistle always gets attention.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.