Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

What kind of pedals are these?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 08-10-21, 09:53 AM
duke_of_hazard

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Can anyone tell what kind of pedals are in the bike below? This used to be my bike but it was stolen 10+ years ago. I took a break from cycling but am now getting back into it. I bought a new folding bike and want to swap out the pedals with what I had. I remember they were a noticeable improvement over the stock folding pedal in terms of stiffness.

Old 08-10-21, 03:18 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Looks like some cage pedals.

MKS makes great pedals of many different types. Check out their BM-7 model.
Likes For Nyah:
Old 08-10-21, 03:43 PM
duke_of_hazard

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah
Looks like some cage pedals.

MKS makes great pedals of many different types. Check out their BM-7 model.
Thanks. Seems the BM-7 are around $33 new on ebay. Seems a little pricey just for pedals.. Or will anything cheaper not last and/or be heavy?
Old 08-10-21, 04:15 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by duke_of_hazard
Thanks. Seems the BM-7 are around $33 new on ebay. Seems a little pricey just for pedals.. Or will anything cheaper not last and/or be heavy?
I haven't been shopping for cage pedals so, don't know what's out there for what price. The BM-7 is serviceable and thus made to last while cheaper pedals most likely are not. The pedals that I do use are of a different type by MKS but, they are also serviceable. I'm fine with paying $33 for them when I need a pair for another bicycle, rather than try something else just because it's less expensive.
Likes For Nyah:
Old 08-15-21, 06:52 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
I can't say if that pedal is worth $33, especially now with busted supply chains.

But I can say that pedals that I paid more than $30 for were ones that I expected to last.

And pedals that I paid less than $30 for are on my errand bike that is stored out in the rain, I consider pedals like that to be expendable like tires and tubes.
Old 08-18-21, 02:43 PM
duke_of_hazard

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The BM-7 pedals arrived but they seem a little "fatter" and longer than the ones in my picture above. Do these cage pedals come in any kind of "slim" design? Or is my memory just playing tricks on me?

For the most compact fold, I would prefer slim pedals.