Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I've been given this 1977 Peugeot PR 10 - but sadly it is too big :(

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-21, 03:34 PM
AliH

Bikes: Mike Kowal Aravis Touring bike, 1952 Claud Butler Massed Start, 1959 Dawes Red feather, 1975 Carlton Criterium, 1997 Specialized Rockhopper, Bianchi Merlo MiniVelo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 31 Posts

I was very fortunate to have this completely original 1977 Peugeot PR10 donated to me by the original owner who remembers buying it in a well established Glasgow bike shop 44 years ago.
Serial number 7107454 (from what I can make out)
531 (main triangle) tubing - size 24.5" (bottom bracket to seatpost bolt)
Atax stem and bars
Mafac levers (with one cracked plastic hood)
Mafac racer centrepulls
Simplex front (not cracked as far as I can tell) and rear deralliers
Stronglight TS crankset with 52/42 stronglight rings
Normandy hubs with Mavic module E rims
Hutchison tires - still holding air but fraying badly and about to blow!
SanMarco saddle

I have never see spoke nipples used as cable stops - is that an old mechanics trick?

Sadly, it is too big and I can't convince myself otherwise!
So I will strip it, re-grease and polish it as best I can and try and sell it on (spliting any proft with the generous donor). I'm tempted to strip all the nice stuff off it for my parts bin, but that would probably be sacrilige!
Old 09-28-21, 07:29 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
Nice bike for sure. It is too bad that you cannot shrink or stretch a frame to fit. I like the Stronglight 3 pin crank, the rest of the components on there are nice as well. I also like the Simplex all metal rear derailleur on the rear and the almost all metal front derailleur.

Please post pictures after you clean it up AliH .

The old spoke nipple for a cable end has been used many times. I don't know if this is a mechanic thing or a clever armature thing. I would guess clever armature.
Old 09-28-21, 07:50 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Why not fully disassemble, clean and inventory all of the components as donor items for a future French build?

Give the frame a good cleaning and waxing, and sell it or donate it.

Begin your search for the right sized frame.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 09-29-21, 04:39 AM
AliH

Bikes: Mike Kowal Aravis Touring bike, 1952 Claud Butler Massed Start, 1959 Dawes Red feather, 1975 Carlton Criterium, 1997 Specialized Rockhopper, Bianchi Merlo MiniVelo

Yeah - I've just ordered some new tires (Michelin to keep the 99% French theme going - but I'm sure they will be Far-East made!) so I can confidently ride it to my local bike co-op for their opinion.

I plan to strip it all down for a deep clean and regrease - but am concerned about the Frenchy tools/threads that I will come across. I also thought about looking for a smaller frame like you suggest Phil_gretz. I'll post any updates.
Thanks for your replies
Old 11-11-21, 09:47 AM
AliH

Probably easiest to copy and paste the evilbay description to let you know what I did to this...

Vintage 1977 Peugeot PR-10 Bike (95% original).
Reynolds 531 tubes (main triangle).
Simplex drop outs.
Size 24.5 inch (612mm) from centre of the bottom bracket to top of the seat tube.
Atax Guidon Philippe bars 400mm wide with Velox cotton tape (new) and Velox plugs (original).
Atax stem (110mm).
Mafac Racer centrepull brakes and levers. Mafac hoods (front brake hood crack/split repaired with glue)
One washer replaced on the front Mafac racer brake caliper as the original snapped during refurbishment.
Simplex downtube shifters and rear derailleur (full metal rear derailleur).
Huret Sachs front derailleur (about 5 years later) as the plastic (delrin) Simplex derailleur had snapped - I will include the old Simplex derailleur if the buyer wants to try to glue it.
Stronglight TA crankset with 52/42 rings.
Lyotard pedals with Christophe cages and nylon straps.
Mavic Module E rims laced to Normandy large flange hubs.
New Michelin tan wall 700c 35mm wide tires and new tubes.
Sedis chain.
5 speed freewheel 14-24 tooth.
SanMarco saddle.
New cables and outers.

All disassembled, cleaned, polished and repacked (except the bottom bracket - but spins freely). Tubes treated with Waxoyl spray inside.

One owner since 1977.

Refurbished by an enthusiastic amateur who would be happy to ride it but would advise a once over by a professional mechanic.
Likes For AliH: