Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Living Car Free/Car Lite Introductions

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.
View Poll Results: How long have you been car light or car free?
Car light less than 1 year
15.87%
Car free less than 1 year
9.13%
Car light less than 5 years
12.92%
Car free less than 5 years
11.25%
Car light more than 5 years
9.04%
Car free more than 5 years
21.49%
Contemplating a car light or car free change
17.80%
Not interested in becoming car light or car free
2.49%
Voters: 1084. You may not vote on this poll

Living Car Free/Car Lite Introductions

Old 02-09-08, 06:53 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by G. Puckett
My last cars were a 1965 Vanden Plas Princess, 1966 Rover and a 1968 Jaguar XKE. British cars from the '60's are a form of obsolete machinery.
Fixed.
Old 02-10-08, 06:32 PM
metaljim
Banned.

Bikes: 2009 Surly Steamroller, 19?? Fuji ?, 19?? Univega Viva Sport, Marin/Xtracycle combo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i've been car free for about 6 months now. i love cars, i'm a certified mechanic, and have even done a bit of amateur racing, but when my last vw rabbit decided it was hungry for the taste of valves, i couldn't afford to fix it so i sold it. owning a car isn't a luxury i can afford now, and i really enjoy the challenge of surviving on a bike. cycling was always a fun hobby, but now that it's my sole means of transportation, it's a whole new world for me. one day i'm going to have another car, but i do jsut fine right now without one, so i won't be rushing things!
Old 02-11-08, 06:40 PM
charly17201

Bikes: RANS Formula LE, Giant Escape 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
Have you had the fit of your DF bike checked? Everybody should be able to ride a bike without pain or discomfort, provided the bike fits and they have gradually worked up to a given riding intensity.

Of course, if there's an underlying medical problem or a body mechanics issue, all bets are off and the 'bent might be a perfect solution.

Sorry, was out of state for a while.....

Yes, I've fitted and re-fitted over the years as my body has changed. Shoulder and neck problems affect me the most now. Just old age..... but I do want to delay 'being' old for as long as possible (and without drugs).
Old 02-13-08, 06:43 PM
RomSpaceKnight

Bikes: Devinci Taos, Mielle Alpha

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I own a Kawasaki GPZ1100. Other than that I have been car free for 12 years and car light for 25 years. In my youth I was too broke to afford a car, or not willing to budget to afford one. Now, as I am single and well employed I could drive around in a huge new SUV if I so choose. But I choose not to. Frees up a lot of income for misc purchases. Skis, fishing equipment, camera equip., books you name it. I love my bike. Never have to worry about parking is awesome. Being fit and slim is appreciated by the ladies too.
Old 02-13-08, 07:45 PM
MNsnowmoon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been car-free since my vehicle was purloined from our parking lot in December of 1996. I’ve always wanted to thank the guy who ripped me off; I’ve discovered that there is discretionary income with a teacher’s salary once you divorce your car!

I also lived car-free for nine years in the 1980’s and car light for the three years before that; driving a car when my bike became a ‘snow bird’.
Old 02-20-08, 07:42 AM
mike-on-da-bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
definatly not buying another car until a good electric one come on the market,but then again i really enjoy the bike and find it more relaxing then the car,also i get to see more chicky babes and chat lol.
Old 02-25-08, 03:12 PM
jamesdenver
jim anchower

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I sold my car about four years ago. Like others above mentioned I also have an S.O. WITH car, which we used for skiing and weekend road trips. But my 18 mile daily RT commute, plus all errands around the city I do primarily by bike. And wouldn't have it any other way
Old 02-25-08, 03:32 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdenver
I sold my car about four years ago. Like others above mentioned I also have an S.O. WITH car, which we used for skiing and weekend road trips. But my 18 mile daily RT commute, plus all errands around the city I do primarily by bike. And wouldn't have it any other way
Good to hear from you again, jim. Have you been out of the country again?

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 02-25-08, 11:19 PM
jamesdenver
jim anchower

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Huh me no sorry. I was lurking on and off for a while but just been busy with work projects the past two months. Just been writing enough for work stuff so been lame at participating. I always read your dispatches from Lansing though I'm headed to Grand Rapids myself soon to visit family!
Old 02-25-08, 11:31 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by jamesdenver
Huh me no sorry. I was lurking on and off for a while but just been busy with work projects the past two months. Just been writing enough for work stuff so been lame at participating. I always read your dispatches from Lansing though I'm headed to Grand Rapids myself soon to visit family!
If you've been away from GR for very long, you won't even recognize it. There's so much construction downtown, the old furniture warehouses are all luxury condos and design firms, and the old neighborhoods are looking good. Unfortunately, there's still a lot of exurban sprawl too. They say it'll be the biggest city in Michigan within the next 10 years.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 02-27-08, 08:36 AM
TuckertonRR

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Checked off "car light less than 5 years" as I still have a car, and not really sure whether to keep it till it dies, or get rid of it before then. I changed jobs last year, and it was difficult getting to work without it, but since moving I'm getting back into the car-lite habit - a 6 1/2 mile ride to work now. There's alot more in this area alot closer, from pizza places, to grocery stores. Haven't used the car at all in two weeks....at least it's a start
Old 02-29-08, 12:14 PM
pranavnegandhi

Bikes: LA Sovereign Navigator

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow! A thread after my own heart! Most of my immediate family has been car free for as long as I remember...probably because they grew up on a modest middle class income during turbulent political times. My mother purchased a motor-scooter about a decade ago but sold it off in just few months because she couldn't ride it properly.

And me? I ride my bicycle everywhere these days. To work, running errands to the city and even evenings out when my wife and I ride into movie theatres and malls. It does invite some stares from people, but we enjoy the fresh air and the time spent together.

Getting to wolf down several helpings of pasta and dessert guiltlessly is a bonus.
Old 03-03-08, 03:40 AM
hbrogan57
Harry

Bikes: SUN Tadpole with trailer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well............

I have been car free for the better part of 15 years now. I work doing network computer installations and getting my own contracts. When I am on a contract, the company usually provides some form of transportation to and from the job. I decided many years ago that it wasn't practical to have a vehicle that would sit in a driveway for 3, 6, 9 months at a time. So I simply agve up owning one. Why pay the taxes, insurance and maintenance on something that you are not using 90 percent of the time??? So I opted to start riding.

I am now pushing 51 years old((young)) and still ride. My rides have varied over the years. From a racing bikes to mountain bikes to the current incarnation. In any case here is a photo of what I am currently riding.......

Old 03-03-08, 03:47 AM
lisitsa

Bikes: Old 12-speed commuter, When I earn enough I'll get a fixed KHS flite 100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm young so i guess it doesn't really count yet, but I still do all my trips by bicycle, including riding to uni 10km each way instead of the bus. That 55 bucks a month I save goes a long way on my 300 dollar a month budget. In fact, with that saving I'm taking the opportunity to start up saxophone, as the hire for the saxophone is also 55 dollars a month.

It also will give me exercise for the whole tertiary year. Here in Australia, theres always a campaign going on, about doing 1 hour of exercise a day. Well going by bike not only saves me money to spend on my hobbies, but it gives that recommended dose with much less effort than it would take to drag myself to the gym. Also it gives me that needed wake up call before my 8o'clock lecture.

It is so common for people to live less than 10 km away from their workplace or educational facility. Such trips are the perfect start and end to a day. You get a good workout, but you don't get completely buggered. It takes only half an hour each way, and you don't have to shower or wear special clothes (debatable but seriously, you're going to work or study -- you're not going to a ball or party -- you're gonna get sweaty and theres nothing wrong with some natural aroma anyway).

On the other hand, I face-planted on my commute today, I guess thats not a risk of driving or busing to work. It was right in the uni, when my textbook swung over and locked my front wheel. Don't worry the bike only suffered minor injuries. I was alright as well. But the physics textbook was pretty battered. Maybe if I read that text book a bit harder, I'd know that bags swinging close to a front wheel don't lean when you lean your bike.
Old 03-03-08, 03:36 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by lisitsa
It was right in the uni, when my textbook swung over and locked my front wheel. Don't worry the bike only suffered minor injuries. I was alright as well. But the physics textbook was pretty battered.
You might be young but you already have your priorities in the right order!
  1. First the bike,
  2. then the body....
  3. ....then everything else!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 03-09-08, 10:54 PM
meaculpa
meaculpa

Bikes: 07 Bianchi Volpe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ooouch Lisitsa. Funny thing about cycling is that we have these incidents/accidents but then keep riding. Everyone assumes you'd quit. Maybe some do quit but nobody I know.

As for me, I avoid the SO's car even tho she wants me to drive every single time we go anywhere together. So I am extremely car-lite but technically I guess I am not car-free. Ironically, I am usually picking up the groceries on my bike, one small load 3x/week after work. She hates to shop so this is how this came about.

To sum: I consider myself to be car-free and my relationship is car-light.
Old 03-10-08, 01:01 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
10 years and 8 months in Australia.

ryan, how does you car get to the college?
Old 03-10-08, 04:15 AM
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Well let's see -- I'm 31 and have never owned a car or held a driving licence. However, I was dependent on the family car until I was 15. Then my parents separated, my father took the car, and I started doing the family shopping on my bike, which involved riding into the next town (I wasn't living in a city of half a million at that time). I'm fairly certain that puts me in the "over five years" category, and I'll leave everyone else to argue about whether or not it qualifies as 16 years or 31 years.

That is all.
Old 03-11-08, 03:18 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
I say 16.
No I say 31.
You're wrong, it's 16.
With all due respect, idiot, its 31.
Ha! You think you know everything. It's 16!!
Yes I do, and its definitely 31.
You're a fool. 16.
Dummy. 31.

And on it goes.

Reminds me of "If you want arguments, they're down the hall".

Personally, I think it's... ummm 2 x 15-1/2

Old 03-11-08, 09:22 AM
Bdaisies
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't owned a car in about 4 years, however whenever he's around my bf drives me anywhere I need to go. This comes in handy for nights out on the town, Home Depot trips or bringing home several bags of kitty litter. I mainly use my bike to get to work, so I guess I'm qualified as car-light.
Old 03-17-08, 02:30 AM
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
I say 16.
No I say 31.
You're wrong, it's 16.
With all due respect, idiot, its 31.
Ha! You think you know everything. It's 16!!
Yes I do, and its definitely 31.
You're a fool. 16.
Dummy. 31.

And on it goes.

Reminds me of "If you want arguments, they're down the hall".

Personally, I think it's... ummm 2 x 15-1/2

Somehow I missed that one. Quality stuff!

That is all.
Old 03-17-08, 01:36 PM
jpdesjar

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
nice one

this seems like a great system, you both get to ride bikes and cut down car use
most importantly good for the love life

my lady and i carpool when the weather is too bad for biking but usually she drives and i bike
i would love it if she had a much shorter commute or even a bike commute, a move is in the works

Old 03-18-08, 03:50 AM
crashtheparty

Bikes: Fixed Gear, frame is Focus. I know nothing about it, but it fits me and it rides well! =)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm still in college, but I would love to be car free. Unfortunately for my career I will never be able to do that, I'm going into the acting business and when you get a call and a director wants you at the studio in 15 minutes, you better have a car to get there. I'm hoping to be car light and only use the car in those situations.
Old 03-18-08, 10:08 PM
tbannin
Cars are for the meek.

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Stump Jumper FSR, 2007 Trek 2100, 1993 UNK Frame built into a single speed mt. bike (think it's a mongoose, before they were crap), and a 1985 Dave Scott Ironman Pro (my baby fg)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Car free now for 1 year.......man it's liberating.
Old 03-30-08, 01:02 AM
boycey
Carefree

Bikes: Brompton S1E, Fuji Feather

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the summer of 1989 my Beetle was dying, I took it to the garage, the workshop owner bought it from me and I've not owned a car since.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.