Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Camp Stove Butane Canisters

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Camp Stove Butane Canisters

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-22, 04:40 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,052 Posts
Originally Posted by waddo
These type of canisters are more common in Japan than the usual ones. Also, you can buy them in convenience stores, which are everywhere, whereas the usual ones are sometimes hard to find during a tour...
And in Japan, there are nifty little camp/picnic stoves that use the nozzle canisters, like the aforementioned Iwatani Micro and the Soto ST-310 and ST-320.

In Japan, own a nozzle stove, and want to come to the US to cycletour?

They make adapters to go the other way, too.

Old 11-02-22, 05:17 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
In Japan, own a nozzle stove, and want to come to the US to cycletour?
They make adapters to go the other way, too.
My foreign travels are limited to Europe and Canada, thus I really am clueless on what is most common in many parts of the globe. But I would not be surprised if you find that the threaded canisters are quite common in areas where there is a lot of mountaineering or backpacking. Thus, I could see where Asians might have stoves for nozzle canisters that need adapters for a threaded canister in lots of places besides North America.

While trying out the adapters for nozzle canisters on my backpacking trip a couple months ago, some other backpackers were curious about those weird canisters I had, as they were used to buying backpacking gear. During two weeks, I only saw two people using liquid fuel, I was the only one with nozzle type canisters, everyone else was using threaded canisters.

Within the backpacking crowd, while threaded canisters were the norm, there were the Jetboil campers and the campers (like me) that used a stove and separate pot.

But I suspect in a few years the nozzle canisters will be the norm in areas where car camping campers are shopping. This would be in addition to propane cylinders that are already common for the small BBQ grills. And I assume that the threaded canisters will still be the norm for backpackers and canoe/kayak campers.
Old 11-03-22, 08:43 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by autonomy
Just a side note, but the ones I've seen at my local Walmarts, Coleman-branded and made in France, are not 'all-weather' mixes. I was just out in low 40s-high 30s and I learned I would've had a lot of trouble with one of those if I didn't have a back up MSR canister. I hope these new ones come with some propane in them.
Frankly, few people are going to go touring in those conditions so it’s not something they are really going to need to worry about. I’m not suggesting HellMart canisters as a main use but only as a “if I run out in Podunk, USA (or Canada)” there is a ready source available.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-04-22, 01:01 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Interesting thread!
I used to have a Gerry stove that ran on butane. It had two dish shaped halves that held the valve assembly. It was great for making tea in the am.
Butane burns hotter than propane, so may be even less suitable for simmering.
Old 11-05-22, 11:41 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 98 Posts
Fantastic post TiMSN! And more great info in the thread.

I tour mostly in Europe, from Scandinavia to Greece.
Depending on where I’ll be I take the most common stove:

Scandinavia, Northern Europe (Germany, and Holland (? never toured in Holland, too flat) have the threaded valves.
France, Spain, Portugal: Ezy-Click, (old skool puncture type can be found as well). Haven’t been to Italy for a long time, so I don’t know. Sidenote: I don’t get on in Italy. Could be just me…
Greece! Almost only puncture (C216) although I have seen threaded. Times may be changing.

I don’t know if the type in the OP are available in Europe. New to me.

Thanks again

Last edited by imi; 11-05-22 at 11:45 AM.
Old 11-05-22, 01:23 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by imi
Fantastic post TiMSN! And more great info in the thread.

I tour mostly in Europe, from Scandinavia to Greece.
Depending on where I’ll be I take the most common stove:

Scandinavia, Northern Europe (Germany, and Holland (? never toured in Holland, too flat) have the threaded valves.
France, Spain, Portugal: Ezy-Click, (old skool puncture type can be found as well). Haven’t been to Italy for a long time, so I don’t know. Sidenote: I don’t get on in Italy. Could be just me…
Greece! Almost only puncture (C216) although I have seen threaded. Times may be changing.

I don’t know if the type in the OP are available in Europe. New to me.

Thanks again
Thanks for the update. I have not camped in continental Europe or UK. Thus, I appreciate hearing from someone that has first hand knowledge.

I have talked to people that carry two stoves in Europe, one for Ezy Clic and one for threaded. I bought a used MSR Super Fly on Ebay that will work on both, I bought it specifically in the event I ever went to France. Primus also makes a stove, the word Duo is in the model name that I have heard will work on Ezy Clic canisters and threaded canisters.
https://www.primusequipment.com/eu/e...imer-duo-stove

Someone in the past on this forum has said that Decathlon stores in France have threaded canisters.

Photo of my MSR Superfly on an Ezy Clic canister. (Someone was giving away a couple of these canisters at a swap meet since he did not have a stove that worked on them, I was happy to take them off his hands.)

The MSR stove in the photos above will NOT work with the nozzle type adapters that I cited earlier in this post. Only threaded stoves will work on those adapters.
Old 11-06-22, 01:40 PM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 98 Posts
I don’t recall seeing threaded cans in Decathlons in France. I was there this September. Could check out their website.
Ezy-click, yes, and it’s about the cheapest place to buy them. Mr. Bricolage (a hardware chain) have them too, and some of the larger supermarkets. It’s a bit hit or miss.

The Primus Duo does work on both types, though unless you’re going ultralight, I’d recommend the Primus Mimer Duo. Robust and your frying pan won’t slip off so easily.

A duo on a very windy french Atlantic beach. Guitars make great windshields

Last edited by imi; 11-06-22 at 01:53 PM.
Old 11-06-22, 06:14 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,052 Posts
Down the rabbit hole: the old "puncture canister to threaded stove" adapter:

~If~ you live/tour in a place where puncture canisters are sold, this isn't a bad deal since the puncture canister is the least expensive - and easiest to recycle.
Old 11-06-22, 06:48 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs

~If~ you live/tour in a place where puncture canisters are sold, this isn't a bad deal since the puncture canister is the least expensive - and easiest to recycle.
I seem to recall some campers using an older version of that in Spain 2000. The canisters that automatically sealed when you removed the burner were hard to find in the south.
Old 11-07-22, 08:35 AM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by tcs

Yeah, they worked pretty good. Five years ago on a kayak trip I decided to use up my remaining puncture type canisters, but did bring one home.

The stove on the adapter is an old Primus Powercook, that is a stove for threaded canisters. I cropped this out of a bigger photo.

The black tape on the top of my upper spare canister is to cover the punctured hole after use, they did smell.

To pack that adapter, they are big and heavy so I would not bring it unless I really thought I would need it on a bike tour outside USA.

A couple decades ago a locally owned camping goods store went out of business. I learned about their closing sale well after the sale started, by the time I got there weeks later almost everything was gone but they had that adapter for about 90 percent off, so at that price I thought that if I used it once, it would pay for itself. And have only used it for that one trip where I took the photo.
Old 11-14-22, 04:37 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
I use the small 100 gram container, articles I've read said they'll last a weekend? that size for me lasts 4 weekends, I carry a spare 100 gram cantainer when I have just one left.

There is a device called FlipFuel, this thing will take an almost empty canister and transfer it to a full canister, assuming there's enough room, but would be useful for those that find almost empty canisters in the trash while camping: FlipFuel Review: Transfer Your Half-Empty Fuel Canisters Into One | GearJunkie
Old 11-15-22, 11:49 AM
Chuck Naill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Oh an backpacking trip recently I used an alcohol stove using Heet Gas-Line Antifreeze and Water Remover, 12 fl. oz. 28201 - Advance Auto Parts
Old 11-18-22, 07:28 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
MSR Pocket Rocket- left side, threaded canisters only, and Primus Duo- right side, threaded and non-threaded canisters.

The Primus stove is heavier, but it worked well in 11 European countries.
Old 11-19-22, 07:57 AM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by Doug64
MSR Pocket Rocket- left side, threaded canisters only, and Primus Duo- right side, threaded and non-threaded canisters.
The Primus stove is heavier, but it worked well in 11 European countries.
Thanks for the photo. The Primus Duo attachment to the canister looks better to me than the MSR Superfly that I have, the Superfly has a piece of aluminum riveted into a piece of plastic that does not grip the canister as well as I would like.
Old 11-20-22, 10:10 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by greatscott
There is a device called FlipFuel, this thing will take an almost empty canister and transfer it to a full canister, assuming there's enough room, but would be useful for those that find almost empty canisters in the trash while camping: FlipFuel Review: Transfer Your Half-Empty Fuel Canisters Into One | GearJunkie
I bought one and just used it this morning. Works really well.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 11-21-22, 01:26 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by greatscott
I use the small 100 gram container, articles I've read said they'll last a weekend? that size for me lasts 4 weekends, I carry a spare 100 gram cantainer when I have just one left.

Neat!