Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

26" a good buy in 2022?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

26" a good buy in 2022?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-22, 04:59 AM
chintanjadwani

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
26" a good buy in 2022?

Hello everyone,
I'm getting an opportunity to purchase a Surly Troll frame and build a bike out of it. Going with the troll because I understand and prefer rim brakes and it seems no other surly bike has that option now. Is 26" still a good decision to make in 2022, considering it is getting harder to find and source if needed?
Any recommendations?
Old 11-02-22, 05:55 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,891 Times in 848 Posts
I have been enjoying my 26 incher that I got the end of July. I have had no issues getting tires. So far two sets of Panaracers (pasela and tservs) and a set of rene herse RTP's.
Old 11-02-22, 06:56 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
You may have to go on line to get the tires you want. Rims are getting a bit more scarce too. I have two 26 inch touring bikes, plan to keep using them.
Old 11-02-22, 07:06 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
was getting a Troll simply an opportunity or a specific choice--other than the rim brake thing?
Tell us more of your needs and what you'll use the bike for.

this is my take on 26
Pros
- smaller wheels mean lower gearing, can be a plus for touring or not depending on your use, and while much larger cassettes are common now, a lot of bikes are set up with 1x or doubles, so even newer bikes often wont have the same spread of gearing that a triple can have. But again, it depends...
-less problems with toe strike on front wheel, even with fenders, especially with small frames, 26 has this advantage
-stronger wheels being smaller? Maybe, probably, but who knows and really depends on the quality of the parts and how well a wheel is put together.
-maybe more easily found tires in some parts of the world, but again, a maybe and again, it depends
-around here in N America, less rim options than before, spokes really not a problem as spare spokes have to be cut to the right length anyway for any bike/rim/hub combo.

Cons
-if riding over rough stuff offroad, larger tires probably roll over things easier, but again, it depends on your uses, and anyway, Trolls can take some really wide tires. Also, for all the varied road surfaces I have ridden on when touring, I'm not really sure that there is any speed difference with 26 vs 700
-some of newer tires are not available in 26 , again, could be a factor, but there are still tons of good 26 options out there.

no matter what you are using this Troll for, they are still a very versatile bike, good and solid. The rear horizontal dropouts take a few times removing and putting wheel back in to get used to, but not a big issue. Only real problem is if you set up a rear fender close to tire, getting the wheel out can be a bit tricky, but not a problem with my Troll and fenders (I left lots of space)
Likes For djb:
Old 11-02-22, 08:20 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1662 Post(s)
Liked 1,815 Times in 1,055 Posts
Originally Posted by chintanjadwani
Is 26" still a good decision to make in 2022, considering it is getting harder to find and source if needed?
I don't know where in the world you're located.

In the USA, there are upwards of 80,000,000 bikes with two 26" (ISO559mm) wheels. Despite this massive market for the product, I read on the internet that companies are abandoning 26" tires and you won't be able to find them in the future.

If you read it on the internet, it must be true.
Old 11-02-22, 11:48 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
I bet 76 million of those 559ers are WALMART bikes. LOL. Their tires are just as horrible.
584 is the go to smaller size now. SMP tires do come with 38 mm. They float along very nicely on my 3 speed CCM, at 5 lbs less air than 36 mm ones.
--------
It's a complete myth that 559 is or ever was the "world's most used size". It is 28"/ 622.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 11-02-22 at 12:31 PM.
Likes For GamblerGORD53:
Old 11-02-22, 02:25 PM
phughes

Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Hello everyone,
I'm getting an opportunity to purchase a Surly Troll frame and build a bike out of it. Going with the troll because I understand and prefer rim brakes and it seems no other surly bike has that option now. Is 26" still a good decision to make in 2022, considering it is getting harder to find and source if needed?
Any recommendations?
I personally like 26 inch rims. If the frame is a good deal, and you like the Troll, I would go for it.
Old 11-02-22, 09:13 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
I paid $32 for this two weeks ago.......(Yellow Selle SMP Seat added since. I had the seat.)

Likes For StarBiker:
Old 11-02-22, 11:24 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 344 Posts
I don't have loyalty to any wheel size, but I can say trying to find quality 26" tires at a LBS is getting harder and harder. Online, still has a good selection.
Not tomorrow, but in the near future, I believe the next item to be scarcer will be 26" rim brake rims (Or any size rim brake)
I also built my Surly LHT 700 with rim brakes for the same reason. I can adjust/repair rim brakes with my eyes closed. However, as time moves on if I decide to sell it, I'm sure it will be undervalued for the rim brakes
Old 11-03-22, 04:39 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by StarBiker
I paid $32 for this two weeks ago.......(Yellow Selle SMP Seat added since. I had the seat.)
Great find.

A decade ago I paid $5 USD for this: It had been stored outside for a decade.

A couple days of work, including a heavy dose of frame saver in the frame to stop any further rusting, about $50 in parts and it became this:

I still use it as my errand bike for grocery store runs, etc. For several more years I continued to store it outside, but now store it in the garage.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 11-03-22, 04:56 AM
Charles Lathe

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 25 Posts
I like my thirteen year old touring bike with 26” wheels and rim brakes so much so much that I gave away or sold my other bikes. I think 50-559 tires are fun and practical.
Likes For Charles Lathe:
Old 11-03-22, 05:56 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 852 Times in 445 Posts
I see lots of interesting 26" 80s/90s mtb frame builds and that makes me happy. Here's mine. I've owned it since new in 1988. I've not had a problem finding tire options for it yet, but then I'm not too picky. These are cheap-o 1.95 knobbies with the center lugs connected by a thin "bridge" which allows them to roll pavement well.

Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 11-03-22, 06:18 AM
djb

Hello everyone,
Any recommendations?
So guy with the Indian sounding name, are you going to pop back in here and respond? Did you buy the troll? As I asked, what are your intended use of bike, and why the troll rather than some other bike? I'm the troll owner here, so am happy to respond, but only if you do.
Old 11-03-22, 06:41 AM
chintanjadwani

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good guess with the "indian sounding name". Sorry for the delay in responding, i'd assumed i'll get an email when someone responds but it seems my settings were different...so I only saw all of this now! I am looking at having the troll for commuting, roaming about, and hopefully eventually touring. Why specifically the troll? Because I've read very good things about it, i don't want to ride fast, and I'd rather one bike that can do most of what I want - also I would like to build this bike up slowly and in a budget, so I like the option of having rim brakes to start with..
Old 11-03-22, 06:47 AM
chintanjadwani

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
I personally like 26 inch rims. If the frame is a good deal, and you like the Troll, I would go for it.
I would not necessarily call it a good deal, but a dealer has some new frames still available here in India. And since the market is small, used deals are hard to come by.

Good 26" tires or rims are not common here, unlike the US. The jump in good bikes in the indian market started with 700c..although one can get lower quality 26 tires. Anyway, good quality 700 tires are expensive too because of import duties just that they are more readily available.
Old 11-03-22, 07:37 AM
djb

Good guess with the "indian sounding name". Sorry for the delay in responding, i'd assumed i'll get an email when someone responds but it seems my settings were different...so I only saw all of this now! I am looking at having the troll for commuting, roaming about, and hopefully eventually touring. Why specifically the troll? Because I've read very good things about it, i don't want to ride fast, and I'd rather one bike that can do most of what I want - also I would like to build this bike up slowly and in a budget, so I like the option of having rim brakes to start with..
I would not necessarily call it a good deal, but a dealer has some new frames still available here in India. And since the market is small, used deals are hard to come by.
Good 26" tires or rims are not common here, unlike the US. The jump in good bikes in the indian market started with 700c..although one can get lower quality 26 tires. Anyway, good quality 700 tires are expensive too because of import duties just that they are more readily available.
hey, no problem. The Troll certainly is a very versatile bike, that is why I specifically got one. I was lucky and found a used one years ago and it has had mountain bike handlebars, trekking bars and finally dropbars.
The big attraction to me was, and is, how it can take quite wide tires. From 2017 and 18 (when it was stopped being made) the frame change made it possible to put 3 inch tires front and back (with the right rims ) but even the older ones like mine, can easily take 2.5in, 2.8 up front--but I have never had wider than 2.5in tires on it, but t nearly always has tires from 1.5-2.1 inches for touring and whatever.

In the end, its just a bike, but it is a good, sturdy bike that can happen to be able to take really wide tires if thats something that is an interest.
I get wanting to build it up on a budget, as with any bike, you can get good quality parts at good prices and have a very functional bike that works really well, with 8, 9 speed or whatever, that can fit your budget and what you can either find in India or have shipped there, although dealing with import duties.
I'm in Canada, and good quality 26 rims are probably rare also, but lots of good tires are available, but I do realize that here in N. America, it is economically easier than for you, so more possible to get things, especially shipping from other countries.

good luck in your decisions

ps my rims are older style mountain bike rims that are right on the limit for taking 2.5 in tires, but I have had these same rims on it since I bought it, so have not had to try to find different replacement rims yet. I have toured a lot on this bike and the rims have held up quite well, despite slightly denting one in a small spot.

Last edited by djb; 11-03-22 at 07:40 AM. Reason: additional about rims
Old 11-03-22, 11:02 AM
phughes

Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts

Then don't buy it.
Likes For phughes:
Old 11-03-22, 12:24 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1662 Post(s)
Liked 1,815 Times in 1,055 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
I bet 76 million of those 559ers are WALMART bikes. LOL. Their tires are just as horrible.
584 is the go-to smaller size now.
A lot of tire size recommendations are based on what one can find in a well-stocked big-city bike shop. That's great if that's where you tour.

I imagine bumping into a sleepy little hamlet with a sidewall gash bodged with duct tape, and my choices are a Pyramid ISO559 from the hardware store or chill for a day or two waiting for an ISO584 to be delivered.

No wrong choice - it's a personal decision.
Old 11-03-22, 12:34 PM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 465 Times in 258 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate on 26" as I have several 26" wheeled bikes. I can order tires and if going a cross country, I might even take a spare and not worry about a bike shop. With all the other gear an extra tire seems a non-issue. I haven't needed to shop for good durable new wheels. My 26"s do seem to stay straight a little better than my 700's but I do have strong touring type wheels.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 11-03-22, 08:38 PM
Tourist in MSN

I mentioned that I plan to keep using my 26 inch touring bikes,

This is from the end of my GAP and C&O trip in 2013.

Since then this bike had done the Glacer Waterton loop and also a loop through Florida Big Cyprus, Everglades and the Keys.

And the bike below has been my go to bike for some longer tours that included some rougher terrain:

If you think the Troll would be a good bike, if you can get good rims or wheels now to put on it, get it. You can worry later about tire availability. I have some tires that I am still using a decade after I bought them.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 11-03-22, 09:03 PM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Hello everyone,
Any recommendations?
I had a custom 26” wheel sport tourimg bike made up 30 yrs ago when I was reasonably fit but way out of racing shape. Found that with light 1.75” tires I could go as fast or accelerate almost as fast as I could on a road bike. 15 yrs ago got a 26” wheel Surly LHT and have ridden it the most. I now have 27.5 tired bikes . No pressing recomendations other than keep air in the tires.
Likes For LeeG:
Old 11-03-22, 09:43 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I mentioned that I plan to keep using my 26 inch touring bikes,

This is from the end of my GAP and C&O trip in 2013.

Since then this bike had done the Glacer Waterton loop and also a loop through Florida Big Cyprus, Everglades and the Keys.

And the bike below has been my go to bike for some longer tours that included some rougher terrain:

If you think the Troll would be a good bike, if you can get good rims or wheels now to put on it, get it. You can worry later about tire availability. I have some tires that I am still using a decade after I bought them.
I am only 72 miles north of the Lincoln Memorial and never been to it. Been in DC to many times to count, but only thought it once in 37 years.
Grandfather buried at Arlington in 2012.
It was a go to field trip for school when I was kid. I lost two BALTIMORE colts jackets when I went on these trips which mildly irritated my father.

One of these day I have to get over to the C&O before I get to old.
Old 11-03-22, 09:56 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
If anyone needs a 26" rim brake rim for touring, check out the DT Swiss d545 26" rim brake rim, also available in 700c. 32 and 36 hole versions AFAIK.
Old 11-04-22, 06:06 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by PDKL45
If anyone needs a 26" rim brake rim for touring, check out the DT Swiss d545 26" rim brake rim, also available in 700c. 32 and 36 hole versions AFAIK.
Have a source? I looked around and all I'm seeing are disc brake versions, and those seem to be hard to find also.
Old 11-04-22, 08:16 AM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
Have a source? I looked around and all I'm seeing are disc brake versions, and those seem to be hard to find also.
Looks like they're discontinued, but try the 535: https://www.dtswiss.com/en/component...b/trekking/535

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.