Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Worksman cycles; does anyone have experience?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-23, 01:55 PM
kunoichi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 7 Posts

Hi,
Does anyone have experience with Worksman Cycles? I had ridden for about a month or so after a long hiatus, but my anxiety about riding on the streets got the best of me (I hate to admit) and I put the bike up.
Now I just got done with a 4-month bout of being sick with RSV, and it did affect my breathing, so I couldn't really exercise. Between that and abusing DoorDash because I felt too lousy to cook, I put on a lot of weight. Now that I can finally walk two feet without needing my rescue inhaler, I'm ready to start working on losing what I gained. But I am now over 300 lbs and I don't know how comfortable I feel riding my current bike- a steel framed Giant MTB from the 90's. I was considering getting this bike: https://www.worksmancycles.com/mg-r.html with most of the upgrades. Does anyone have experience with them? I haven't seen any other bikes in my price range (I'd love a Zize bike, but that is WAY out of my range) that also list my weight limit. I realize it's going to be heavy, which is fine. I also realize with a 3-speed I'm not breaking any records, which is also fine. I'm just looking to pedal around the neighborhood and on the paved bike trails. I saw the old thread on it, but it was really long ago and they've changed some stuff. TIA!
Old 01-18-23, 06:53 PM
BillinPA

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Smartweld,Specialized Sirrus Sport, Townie 7D, Specialized crave comp 29er

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
You don't say how much over 300 you are, but most likely the Mtn bike you have will do just fine.
Likely it will be a more enjoyable ride than the worksman.
I'm not knocking the worksman, but it is likely much slower than the mtn bike.
Likes For BillinPA:
Old 01-20-23, 07:04 AM
kunoichi

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 7 Posts
Thank you! I did take it for a ride yesterday and it seemed to hold up fine. I'm taking it for a tune-up and a custom wheel build as soon as I get my next paycheck.
Likes For kunoichi:
Old 02-16-23, 08:07 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Sorry about the health issues. Good luck on your recovery.

Yeah, first choice would be to use the current bike and build up a rear wheel.

For the Worksman I would go for a regular Newsboy or M2600. The 26" wheels would provide more tire options than the 24" of the other one you were looking at.
Old 03-03-23, 09:23 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked 1,439 Times in 989 Posts
FWIW: Last time I had the opportunity to use a Worksman bicycle the most notable feature was its weight - it was HEAVY, and I mean HEAVY! compared to other cruiser-type bicycles. If you don't like pedaling a "beast" of a heavy bicycle you might want to look at something else.
Old 03-29-23, 07:56 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by kunoichi
Hi,
Does anyone have experience with Worksman Cycles? I had ridden for about a month or so after a long hiatus, but my anxiety about riding on the streets got the best of me (I hate to admit) and I put the bike up.
Now I just got done with a 4-month bout of being sick with RSV, and it did affect my breathing, so I couldn't really exercise. Between that and abusing DoorDash because I felt too lousy to cook, I put on a lot of weight. Now that I can finally walk two feet without needing my rescue inhaler, I'm ready to start working on losing what I gained. But I am now over 300 lbs and I don't know how comfortable I feel riding my current bike- a steel framed Giant MTB from the 90's. I was considering getting this bike: https://www.worksmancycles.com/mg-r.html with most of the upgrades. Does anyone have experience with them? I haven't seen any other bikes in my price range (I'd love a Zize bike, but that is WAY out of my range) that also list my weight limit. I realize it's going to be heavy, which is fine. I also realize with a 3-speed I'm not breaking any records, which is also fine. I'm just looking to pedal around the neighborhood and on the paved bike trails. I saw the old thread on it, but it was really long ago and they've changed some stuff. TIA!
Good luck with your health issues. I combine an hour walk with an hour bike ride every day. The Worksman has a nice step through frame which makes for ease of getting on the bike. Also stepping off the seat onto the ground is super easy with this bike. Worksman bicycles are heavy. Their wheels and frames are very heavy duty and will hold up to heavy people riding them. Your mountain bike was built to take a beating off road which means if it is a better quality bike it is more than up to the task of hauling you around. That said if you are closer to 400lbs then a heavier rear wheel build is in order. However I would ride the present bike until a problem arises. Repair or replace whatever cannot carry you without problems. Whichever way you go just keep moving. Good luck