Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Saddle Suggestions - Trek Verve 2 - Heavy Rider

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 07-21-21, 12:55 AM
Ride_around

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello, I am new to cycling and have a Trek Verve 2. I am 6' 4” and about 330 pounds. I'm loving being back on a bike, my only issue is the seat my bike came with. Does anyone have any suggestions for a saddle which is wider/more comfortable? I have lower back issues so my riding position is pretty upright. I plan on riding on roads mainly or hard paths (maybe). Mainly just going to work and casual riding. The city roads here are terrible and i find myself feeling just about every bump. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-21-21, 05:19 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,315 Times in 2,700 Posts
I'd suggest you ride the stock saddle for a few months before you give up on it. Everyone's butt hurts when they begin riding. Experienced riders will often have a sore butt when they first return after an extended layoff. Those wide "comfy" looking saddles have their own issues, primarily chaffing of inner thighs. Keep in mind that while you may have a 3XL sized butt, your sit bones are the same width apart as a normal person. That's a nice bike, hope you enjoy it.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 12-01-21, 03:22 PM
jbandt

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Not sure if you've found something that works, but I find the less padding the better for saddles. I like the brooks cambium line but find they have a bit too much flex depending on model. Currently running a specialized bridge saddle and has been pretty good for me. Also, wider is not always better. I started in the 155mm width but struggled with comfort. Went to 143mm and haven't looked back.
Old 12-01-21, 03:23 PM
jbandt

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Not sure if you've found something that works, but I find the less padding the better for saddles. I like the brooks cambium line but find they have a bit too much flex depending on model. Currently running a specialized bridge saddle and has been pretty good for me. Also, wider is not always better. I started in the 155mm width but struggled with comfort. Went to 143mm and haven't looked back.
Old 12-16-21, 02:28 AM
late

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 12171 Post(s)
Liked 1,481 Times in 1,094 Posts
Try a Thudbuster. My wife has one on her Verve 2 ebike and loves it.
Old 12-17-21, 08:01 AM
a_d_a_m

Bikes: 2021 Kona Sutra, Ragley parts-cycle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 336 Posts
I'm a fan of the Brooks B17.
Likes For a_d_a_m:
Old 12-19-21, 09:58 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 1,450 Times in 702 Posts
What Shelby said.

I got a big wide comfy seat because my butt hurt after getting back on a bike. Yet my butt wasn't comfortable except for the first few minutes, and then the wide saddle started to painfully cut into my thighs.

It took me about a month to get used to a harder narrow touring saddle. I do try to stand up on the nasty bits of pavement, sitting through those NYC bumps and holes will knock fillings out of your teeth.

Last edited by BTinNYC; 12-19-21 at 10:02 AM.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 12-19-21, 12:10 PM
Gravel50

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Another vote for a Brooks B17
Likes For Gravel50:
Old 12-21-21, 01:12 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2474 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
I got a Mongoose Envoy Cargo Bike last year and if it doesn't have the best damn OEM saddle on it I don't know what does. Other people agree with me. Read some Envoy reviews. It is the perfect hybrid of comfort saddle and sport utility saddle. Ticks all the o.p.' boxes, I think. I like mine so much I wrote the parent company of Mongoose (Pacific Cycles) and asked them if I could buy another, or could they tell me who makes the saddle for them. They wrote back and told me the saddle was out of stock and future supply was unlikely. I love a challenge. Here is my best guess as to a possible equivalent to the OEM Mongoose saddle. What do you think? It arrived last Sunday. It is a hair wider than the 'original'. It has a 90 day money back. It's the saddle I'd want under me if I was (still) a Clyde. FWIW.
Old 12-24-21, 12:33 PM
late

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 12171 Post(s)
Liked 1,481 Times in 1,094 Posts
If you ask a 100 different experienced riders, it is entirely possible to get 100 different answers.

I use a B67 (Brooks with springs). It's ok, it works for my particular situation. If I had more seatpost, I'd get a Thudbuster.

I really like Selle Anatomica
https://selleanatomica.com/products/h1

There is a ton of other saddles. The width you want depends on how far bent over you are. The closer your back is to horizontal, the narrower the saddle has to be. If you bend over with a B67, the saddle will try to lever your thigh bones out of you hip socket. Not fun.
Likes For late:
Old 12-24-21, 02:23 PM
canopus 

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 110 Posts
Doh!, Broke my own rule... check post date.
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics
Old 12-27-21, 09:30 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
when I first started cycling, I was overweight and keeping too much weight in the saddle (still do)

those thinly padded saddles are designed to motivate you to keep your weight in the bottom bracket area for optimal balance and power transfer. it can be tiring and actually not helpful for your purpose at all if you tend to ride around a lower power outputs. I would also be worried about you being well over the weight limit of your bike.

I have a verve +2, I am 6ft3 and I find the stock saddle to be supremely comfortable and very well designed for the sort of riding this bike is intended for. If you don't find it comfortable because of its shape, look into something for bigger riders. if it is not padded enough, then you can look into more padding.

Or just keep riding it until you get used to it. that is by no means an uncomfortable saddle.
Old 12-27-21, 10:26 AM
BrazAd

Bikes: 1983 Trek 400, 2015 Cannondale Synapse, Soma Double Cross, 2021 Salsa Warbird 600

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 19 Posts
I started at 265 lbs., 4 years ago. I lucked up and the seller of the first bike I bought threw in a Selle SMP TRK saddle that felt good immediately.

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...k-saddle-large

Since then (June 2017) I've ridden over 26,000 miles on my road and gravel bikes. I've ridden 32 centuries and a *bunch* of metric centuries. I have this saddle (in "Large") on all of my bikes.

I just bought a 2021 Salsa Warbird that came with a WTB saddle. It felt bad in the parking lot! I bought a new Selle (same link as above), put it on and as soon as I sat on it, "AHHHHHHHH!"

Good luck! Seems we all have different posteriors and like different things, but this plain, "heavy" and simple saddle has been wonderful to my buns!

Gary
Old 12-27-21, 04:33 PM
rje58_too

Bikes: 2019 Trek FX2; 2011 Fuji Absolute 3.0; 1997 Trek 830 (converted to hybrid); 1992 Trek 800 Antelope

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 859 Times in 273 Posts
I literally have a box with about six or eight bike seats I tried a few years ago when I started riding again. I would give each one about a month to "make it" and none of them did. Then I bought a Planet Bike A.R.S. bike seat - I have both the Standard and Classic models - one each on two different bikes, my primary and my backup.

As othered have mentioned, they are not OVER padded, but they provide support in all the right places - for me at least. They take a few days or a week to get used to, after that they've been the most comfortable and supportive that I have found.

Last edited by rje58_too; 12-27-21 at 04:39 PM.
Old 12-27-21, 04:51 PM
Hit Factor

Bikes: Trek Checkpoint SL 5 Disc, Trek Fuel Ex 5.

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 25 Posts
Did you talk to the dealer. It sounds like this might be a new bike. Our Trek dealer swaps saddles around at no charge.
Likes For Hit Factor:
Old 12-31-21, 04:39 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2474 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Originally Posted by canopus
Doh!, Broke my own rule... check post date.
If you think this thread is old, OMG. I've seen threads resurrected that go back to when the BF servers were hand cranked.
Old 01-08-22, 07:25 AM
tdipail

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 14 Posts
Once I put this wide Brooks C67 on the bike I no longer think about what's going on "down there" which is an indication that it is good. I still like the B17 because its a little slippery but overall, wider is better for me (260lb)

Old 01-10-22, 12:19 AM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts

This saddle is called Spiderflex. I bought my first one about 2 years ago. After the first ride, no pain of any kind and that has never changed. I use this saddle on all my bikes now. All my bikes are more or less upright rides so my butt carries most of my 270 lbs. The slots in both pads are for your sitz bones to drop into. This creates a much bigger patch of skin taking the load between your sitz bones and the saddle. This idea has been the end of saddle sores completely for me. I don't know if this saddle will help someone who has very low drop bars and has a lot of weight on their arms and hands. The saddle incorporates a 20mm spring action and this makes the ride that much better. I don't need special riding shorts or gel pad underwear or any of the other aids that people use trying to live with high sitz bone pressure patches. I can ride for 30 miles in my everyday clothes with no issues. I started riding noseless saddles because of a bout of prostatitus brought on by a regular nose saddle. I have had no issues with the perineum or prostatitus since using noseless saddles. This Spiderflex is mounted on a RAD City in the 26" wheel that I bought this year.
Old 01-20-22, 04:13 PM
TeeSquare

Bikes: Miyata 1000, Bridgestone MB-1, Miyata Triple Cross, Surly Pugsley, Miyata 916, C Roberts Touring, Fuji Touring Series IV, Surly Steamroller

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 8 Posts
B17

Another vote for the B17
Old 01-29-22, 10:22 AM
JehD

Bikes: 1981 Bertin C34 - 2020 Electra Cruiser 7D - 2021 Mongoose Dolomite ALX

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 86 Posts
I keep seeing recommendations for the Brooks B17. While a great saddle This is NOT the saddle for an upright position NOR for a heavier rider over 200 lbs. I know the general consensus is ride more your ass will get used to it but, and I'm a Brooks user and felt my 2 attempts over the years to use a B17 turned out to be taint destroyers. Do not get a B!7.

I currently have 2 brooks saddles of two seperate bikes. On my cruiser which is very upright, so the saddle takes a lot of the weight I have a B33. On hard dirt or pavement this thing eats bumps and saves my back.

And in my Fattire bike which is not as upright but not a hard lean. I have a B135 a little narrower but really works well offroad for me.
While these are not light saddles, both are in the 3 1/2 pound range...I'm pretty sure no one here in the 200+ forum is worried about extra grams on their bike, Its about what gets the job done.

Last edited by JehD; 01-30-22 at 09:11 AM.
Likes For JehD: