Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

order my first carbon wheelset going to try tubeless

Notices
Road Cycling ďIt is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.Ē -- Ernest Hemingway

order my first carbon wheelset going to try tubeless

Old 11-15-20, 09:09 AM
  #26  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 37,950

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 352 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19461 Post(s)
Liked 8,005 Times in 4,041 Posts
Originally Posted by robbyville View Post
Iíve never used an injector before since Iíve just kept the cap and tube that comes with a previous small bottle but anything that makes it quick and clean is a plus in my books.
I kept my small OS dosing bottle for a few years, too - it's perfectly adequate for getting the sealant in to the tire. Where the injector comes in is removing the sealant, either to check the amount of sealant needed to top off or to get rid of sealant that is old and separated; not having to break the bead for these operations is awesome.
WhyFi is offline  
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 01-11-21, 07:15 PM
  #27  
sean.hwy
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
sean.hwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: San Jose
Posts: 606

Bikes: Giant Revolt Advance 2 / Blur / Ibis MX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 112 Posts
The wheels I ordered on Nov 13 just arrived today. On my cheap scale the two wheels come out to 1.50 kg.



sean.hwy is offline  
Likes For sean.hwy:
Old 01-12-21, 04:54 AM
  #28  
phrantic09
Fat n slow
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Saratoga, NY
Posts: 2,922

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 1,288 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by toespeas View Post
do not go road tubeless , there is no point to road tubeless , you have no ability to deal with the problems that you will face , save yourself the time and money and just get some regular gp5ks and high quality latex tubes !
phrantic09 is offline  
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 01-12-21, 04:55 AM
  #29  
phrantic09
Fat n slow
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Saratoga, NY
Posts: 2,922

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 1,288 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy View Post
The wheels I ordered on Nov 13 just arrived today. On my cheap scale the two wheels come out to 1.50 kg.



Did you do no decal?
phrantic09 is offline  
Old 01-12-21, 08:06 AM
  #30  
bruce19
Senior Member
 
bruce19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lebanon (Liberty Hill), CT
Posts: 8,113

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1588 Post(s)
Liked 1,048 Times in 614 Posts
Originally Posted by Toespeas View Post
DO NOT GO ROAD TUBELESS , there is no point to road tubeless , you have no ability to deal with the problems that you will face , save yourself the time and money and just get some regular gp5ks and high quality latex tubes !
Wrong.
bruce19 is offline  
Likes For bruce19:
Old 01-12-21, 08:27 AM
  #31  
InvertedMP 
Senior Member
 
InvertedMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 338

Bikes: 2021 Scott Addict RC 20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 103 Posts
Originally Posted by Toespeas View Post
DO NOT GO ROAD TUBELESS , there is no point to road tubeless , you have no ability to deal with the problems that you will face , save yourself the time and money and just get some regular gp5ks and high quality latex tubes !
😂😂 WHAT?!

Absolutely go tubeless. Havenít been stranded yet. No issues in a year of riding tubeless, itís absolutely worth it.
__________________
www.mp-aviation.com
InvertedMP is offline  
Old 01-12-21, 08:55 AM
  #32  
robbyville
Senior Member
 
robbyville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Palm Desert, CA
Posts: 2,444

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 137 Posts
Congrats! Looking forward to hearing how you like them. Is this your first time with tubeless?

Lol for some ungodly reason I keep coming back to the GP5000 TLís despite them being the most difficult tire Iíve had to put on. But they do seem to last longer than most and they rode beautifully. Two weeks ago I was riding with my group and a bolt (of all things) came whipping through us, dinged one guys brand new bikeís downtube and sliced the heck out of my front tire. Sealant wasnít going to help this puppy (plus I hadnít topped up in a very long time so it was mostly dry!), pulled over popped a boot and a tube. No muss but reminded me of the fun with the GPís. Of course I went back to my LBS for another. He was actually out and gave me a great deal on an older Specialized Roubaix. Easy to put on and seated with my cannister pump no problem. Iíll keep it as a spare but have ordered some more of the GPís

my point, long winded as it is, is that I hope you enjoy the ride. This most recent flat brings my total to 3 in over 5 years, the norm in our group is usually a flat or two on every other ride. With most averaging at least 5 flats a year if not more. Coupled with a nicer ride quality well...

Looking forward to hearing how you like them!
robbyville is offline  
Likes For robbyville:
Old 01-12-21, 09:41 AM
  #33  
eduskator
Senior Member
 
eduskator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Quťbec, Canada
Posts: 1,177

Bikes: TCR Pro, Revolt Adv, Trance X

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Toespeas View Post
DO NOT GO ROAD TUBELESS , there is no point to road tubeless , you have no ability to deal with the problems that you will face , save yourself the time and money and just get some regular gp5ks and high quality latex tubes !
Two mistakes here : 1) Don't go tubeless and 2) Buy GP5Ks
eduskator is offline  
Likes For eduskator:
Old 01-12-21, 10:26 AM
  #34  
Eric F
Habitual User
 
Eric F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Altadena, CA
Posts: 2,412

Bikes: 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1409 Post(s)
Liked 2,207 Times in 1,083 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator View Post
Two mistakes here : 1) Don't go tubeless and 2) Buy GP5Ks
Go tubeless AND buy GP5ks!
Eric F is offline  
Likes For Eric F:
Old 01-12-21, 11:04 AM
  #35  
sean.hwy
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
sean.hwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: San Jose
Posts: 606

Bikes: Giant Revolt Advance 2 / Blur / Ibis MX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09 View Post
Did you do no decal?

yeah, for some reason I did not want a decal. In hindsight I guess it would have spruced up the rather plane looking wheel now. ha-ha
sean.hwy is offline  
Likes For sean.hwy:
Old 01-12-21, 11:11 AM
  #36  
sean.hwy
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
sean.hwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: San Jose
Posts: 606

Bikes: Giant Revolt Advance 2 / Blur / Ibis MX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 112 Posts
I had ordered all the tubeless goo back in Nov when I placed my order for the wheels. I went riding with a friend on bmx bike with tubeless. He of course got a flat spilled out a bunch of green goo. Since he had a bmx bike my spare tire 700 and pump was useless for him. His day was done. That kind of turned me off on tubeless.

I ordered some gp5000s 25 with tubes. lol

I might try going tubeless in the future, right now I just want to ride my bike with something I know that I can fix on the side of the road easy.

Dang this gp5000/25 on these new carbon wheels is b.... to put on.
sean.hwy is offline  
Likes For sean.hwy:
Old 01-12-21, 11:22 AM
  #37  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 37,950

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 352 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19461 Post(s)
Liked 8,005 Times in 4,041 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy View Post
I had ordered all the tubeless goo back in Nov when I placed my order for the wheels. I went riding with a friend on bmx bike with tubeless. He of course got a flat spilled out a bunch of green goo. Since he had a bmx bike my spare tire 700 and pump was useless for him. His day was done. That kind of turned me off on tubeless.
Any system can fail, but you have to ask "why?" to learn anything meaningful from it.

Green goo means that he was probably running Slime, not something you'd ever use with road tubeless. How did he flat? Was it a burp because he was running ghetto tubeless? Was it a puncture? If so, how big?

Honestly, this episode bears very little relation to road tubeless and shouldn't be held as an example of efficacy.
WhyFi is offline  
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 01-12-21, 11:27 AM
  #38  
Eric F
Habitual User
 
Eric F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Altadena, CA
Posts: 2,412

Bikes: 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1409 Post(s)
Liked 2,207 Times in 1,083 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy View Post
I had ordered all the tubeless goo back in Nov when I placed my order for the wheels. I went riding with a friend on bmx bike with tubeless. He of course got a flat spilled out a bunch of green goo. Since he had a bmx bike my spare tire 700 and pump was useless for him. His day was done. That kind of turned me off on tubeless.

I ordered some gp5000s 25 with tubes. lol

I might try going tubeless in the future, right now I just want to ride my bike with something I know that I can fix on the side of the road easy.

Dang this gp5000/25 on these new carbon wheels is b.... to put on.
I'm pretty new to tubeless. Last weekend, I had my first flat when hit something in the road that slashed the sidewall of my tire enough that the sealant wouldn't plug the hole. I booted the gash with a $1 bill, installed a tube, hit it with CO2, and got rolling again. Other than being a little more messy, the fix wasn't very different than if it had happened with a regular tubed tire. When I pulled it apart after finishing a second ride on it the next day, I found that the sealant did a nice job holding the boot in place.

Last edited by Eric F; 01-12-21 at 11:31 AM.
Eric F is offline  
Likes For Eric F:
Old 01-12-21, 12:05 PM
  #39  
sean.hwy
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
sean.hwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: San Jose
Posts: 606

Bikes: Giant Revolt Advance 2 / Blur / Ibis MX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Any system can fail, but you have to ask "why?" to learn anything meaningful from it.

Green goo means that he was probably running Slime, not something you'd ever use with road tubeless. How did he flat? Was it a burp because he was running ghetto tubeless? Was it a puncture? If so, how big?

Honestly, this episode bears very little relation to road tubeless and shouldn't be held as an example of efficacy.
It was back in late nov. I don't remember all the details. Just that I could not help him with what I had. It made a mess. My friend had to call someone to pick him up. The rest of us rode on.

I will probably try tubeless in the future. The wheel is setup for it and does not require any tape. I bought the kit and slime for it. Just have to purchase tubeless tires.


sean.hwy is offline  
Old 01-12-21, 12:07 PM
  #40  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,905
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4693 Post(s)
Liked 1,840 Times in 986 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy View Post
I had ordered all the tubeless goo back in Nov when I placed my order for the wheels. I went riding with a friend on bmx bike with tubeless. He of course got a flat spilled out a bunch of green goo. Since he had a bmx bike my spare tire 700 and pump was useless for him. His day was done. That kind of turned me off on tubeless.

.
So you are turned off with tubeless, because your friend was unprepared? That's some faulty logic.
noodle soup is offline  
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 01-12-21, 12:10 PM
  #41  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,905
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4693 Post(s)
Liked 1,840 Times in 986 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy View Post
It was back in late nov. I don't remember all the details. Just that I could not help him with what I had. It made a mess. My friend had to call someone to pick him up. The rest of us rode on.

I will probably try tubeless in the future. The wheel is setup for it and does not require any tape. I bought the kit and slime for it. Just have to purchase tubeless tires.


Slime is not what you want to use. Orange Seal works far better.
noodle soup is offline  
Old 01-12-21, 08:47 PM
  #42  
robbyville
Senior Member
 
robbyville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Palm Desert, CA
Posts: 2,444

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 137 Posts
When you ride through this first round of tires, post again and most of us will be around to help get your tubeless set up, until then enjoy your new wheels!
robbyville is offline  
Likes For robbyville:
Old 01-12-21, 09:00 PM
  #43  
smashndash
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 1,398

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 845 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 241 Posts
With regard to the tape question, I've found that the the Light bicycle bead retention ridge is ridiculously tight. I had to heat my tires to remove them. However, putting on full width tape (rather than tape that only covers the holes) smoothed out the transition from bead shelf to bead ridge. Tape can also take up some space in the rim to make inflation and air retention better. If pushing on the sidewall of the inflated TL tire causes air to rush out, you're probably playing with fire. You want the seal of the tire to be made with the bead shelf not the rim walls.

i would recommend getting tape that is 4-5mm wider than your internal width if you feel the need to do so.
smashndash is offline  
Old 01-13-21, 12:13 AM
  #44  
sean.hwy
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
sean.hwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: San Jose
Posts: 606

Bikes: Giant Revolt Advance 2 / Blur / Ibis MX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash View Post
With regard to the tape question, I've found that the the Light bicycle bead retention ridge is ridiculously tight. I had to heat my tires to remove them. However, putting on full width tape (rather than tape that only covers the holes) smoothed out the transition from bead shelf to bead ridge. Tape can also take up some space in the rim to make inflation and air retention better. If pushing on the sidewall of the inflated TL tire causes air to rush out, you're probably playing with fire. You want the seal of the tire to be made with the bead shelf not the rim walls.

i would recommend getting tape that is 4-5mm wider than your internal width if you feel the need to do so.

I ordered my wheel without holes so I don't need any tape. Thanks though.

I am not sure what kind of ship builder in a bottle I will have to hire to ever replace a spoke though. Looks replacing a spoke is going to be a major PITA.
sean.hwy is offline  
Old 01-13-21, 08:48 AM
  #45  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,905
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4693 Post(s)
Liked 1,840 Times in 986 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy View Post
I ordered my wheel without holes so I don't need any tape. Thanks though.

I am not sure what kind of ship builder in a bottle I will have to hire to ever replace a spoke though. Looks replacing a spoke is going to be a major PITA.
if the spoke breaks at the hub, itís a minor hassle. If the nipple breaks, take it to an experienced wheel builder.
noodle soup is offline  
Old 01-13-21, 05:01 PM
  #46  
sean.hwy
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
sean.hwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: San Jose
Posts: 606

Bikes: Giant Revolt Advance 2 / Blur / Ibis MX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by robbyville View Post
Congrats! Looking forward to hearing how you like them. Is this your first time with tubeless?

Lol for some ungodly reason I keep coming back to the GP5000 TLís despite them being the most difficult tire Iíve had to put on. But they do seem to last longer than most and they rode beautifully. Two weeks ago I was riding with my group and a bolt (of all things) came whipping through us, dinged one guys brand new bikeís downtube and sliced the heck out of my front tire. Sealant wasnít going to help this puppy (plus I hadnít topped up in a very long time so it was mostly dry!), pulled over popped a boot and a tube. No muss but reminded me of the fun with the GPís. Of course I went back to my LBS for another. He was actually out and gave me a great deal on an older Specialized Roubaix. Easy to put on and seated with my cannister pump no problem. Iíll keep it as a spare but have ordered some more of the GPís

my point, long winded as it is, is that I hope you enjoy the ride. This most recent flat brings my total to 3 in over 5 years, the norm in our group is usually a flat or two on every other ride. With most averaging at least 5 flats a year if not more. Coupled with a nicer ride quality well...

Looking forward to hearing how you like them!

I have two bikes. Gravel bike Topstone and road bike Systemsix. I really wanted a 2nd set of rims for the gravel bike with road tires. So I when I go out of town I can have a gravel or road bike. Instead of just buying
ok rims for the gravel bike I decide to spend a little more and upgrade my carbon road bike to carbon wheels and kick down the alloy wheels from my road to my gravel bike.

I went for a ride today. TBH I can't tell a difference. I can tell a huge difference between my gravel tires and my road tires but I can't really feel much difference from my alloy road wheels with 28 tires on them and my new carbon wheels with 25 tires on them.


BUT I was a FASTER today. I started riding back in march. My goal was to avg 20mph for an hour. I have been averaging 18/19 mph for an hour for a while.

Today I did hit my goal probably because of the wheels.




sean.hwy is offline  
Old 01-13-21, 05:15 PM
  #47  
robbyville
Senior Member
 
robbyville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Palm Desert, CA
Posts: 2,444

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy View Post
I have two bikes. Gravel bike Topstone and road bike Systemsix. I really wanted a 2nd set of rims for the gravel bike with road tires. So I when I go out of town I can have a gravel or road bike. Instead of just buying
ok rims for the gravel bike I decide to spend a little more and upgrade my carbon road bike to carbon wheels and kick down the alloy wheels from my road to my gravel bike.

I went for a ride today. TBH I can't tell a difference. I can tell a huge difference between my gravel tires and my road tires but I can't really feel much difference from my alloy road wheels with 28 tires on them and my new carbon wheels with 25 tires on them.


BUT I was a FASTER today. I started riding back in march. My goal was to avg 20mph for an hour. I have been averaging 18/19 mph for an hour for a while.

Today I did hit my goal probably because of the wheels.




First, congrats on the new record! Who knows if it was a result of the new wheels vs. your pleasure and excitement of having a new product that filled you with adrenaline but either way a great accomplishment!

Your bike looks fantastic, great purchase. Have fun and ride safe! When you do go tubeless weíll be here to help and that you will definitely feel a difference lol
robbyville is offline  
Likes For robbyville:
Old 01-13-21, 05:19 PM
  #48  
sean.hwy
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
sean.hwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: San Jose
Posts: 606

Bikes: Giant Revolt Advance 2 / Blur / Ibis MX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by robbyville View Post
First, congrats on the new record! Who knows if it was a result of the new wheels vs. your pleasure and excitement of having a new product that filled you with adrenaline but either way a great accomplishment!

Your bike looks fantastic, great purchase. Have fun and ride safe! When you do go tubeless weíll be here to help and that you will definitely feel a difference lol
Thanks.

I purchased orange goo and the install kit. I still need to buy tubeless tires and I guess maybe a charge canister style air pump to install them at home.
sean.hwy is offline  
Likes For sean.hwy:
Old 01-13-21, 05:43 PM
  #49  
sean.hwy
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
sean.hwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: San Jose
Posts: 606

Bikes: Giant Revolt Advance 2 / Blur / Ibis MX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 112 Posts
for people that like weights
(tubes, tires, brakes, cassette)

There was not that much difference in weight in the front wheels. The rear wheel I think the bigger difference in weight was from the bigger cassette.

FRONT:
1268 aluminum ( oem wheel for systemsix )
1218 carbon
1656 gravel


REAR:
1780 aluminum ( 11-34 ) ( oem wheel for systemsix )
1606 carbon ( 11-30 )
2322 gravel ( 11-34 and really dirty with lots of mud)







sean.hwy is offline  
Old 01-13-21, 05:49 PM
  #50  
robbyville
Senior Member
 
robbyville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Palm Desert, CA
Posts: 2,444

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 137 Posts
Yeah but they look cool so that helps!

I have a charging canister style pump at home, works great with my Tubeless tires. The GP5000ís I really havenít needed it for (but I did need soap and water). The Schwalbeís which I loved as well definitely needed the charge style pump. They are very easy to put on.

one of these days Iíll probably just get an actual compressor I think theyíre pretty cheap
robbyville is offline  
Likes For robbyville:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.