Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

order my first carbon wheelset going to try tubeless

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

order my first carbon wheelset going to try tubeless

Old 01-13-21, 06:16 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by robbyville
Yeah but they look cool so that helps!

I have a charging canister style pump at home, works great with my Tubeless tires. The GP5000’s I really haven’t needed it for (but I did need soap and water). The Schwalbe’s which I loved as well definitely needed the charge style pump. They are very easy to put on.

one of these days I’ll probably just get an actual compressor I think they’re pretty cheap
They do look cool. The bigger benefit for me is now my gravel bike has two sets of rims :-) I probably ride the gravel bike 50% more. I just started last march. I try to ride every day from my house. So easy to just hop on the gravel bike with flat pedals and go. If I ever get a chance to do a group ride with fast people of course I will need all the help I can get. Might be a while for group rides again :/

Can you recommend charging canister style pump ?
Old 01-13-21, 10:56 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4925 Post(s)
Liked 8,039 Times in 3,800 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
Thanks.

I purchased orange goo and the install kit. I still need to buy tubeless tires and I guess maybe a charge canister style air pump to install them at home.
I installed a pair of new Conti GP5KTLs tonight. As is the common story, the most difficult part was getting them on the rim. Doing the first one helped me learn a process that made the second one a little easier. The front tire seated easily with just rapid pumping from my old floor pump. The rear, however, wouldn't seat in a couple of spots, even after some repeated manipulation attempts. I used a blast from a CO2 cartridge, and it popped into place. I then deflated it, injected the sealant through the stem, and inflated it with my floor pump. Since I like buying toys and tools, I probably will buy a canister pump at some point.
Old 01-13-21, 11:40 PM
sean.hwy

Originally Posted by Eric F
Since I like buying toys and tools, I probably will buy a canister pump at some point.
I am an x-auto-mechanic. I have sooooo many tools that I have only used a a handful times. ha-ha :/

yeah those jobs where money losers.

I guess I am as bad as people the collect
https://www.amazon.com/Collectible-F...&ts_id=1095304
Likes For sean.hwy:
Old 01-13-21, 11:59 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4925 Post(s)
Liked 8,039 Times in 3,800 Posts
I am an x-auto-mechanic. I have sooooo many tools that I have only used a a handful times. ha-ha :/

yeah those jobs where money losers.

I guess I am as bad as people the collect
https://www.amazon.com/Collectible-F...&ts_id=1095304
I understand. I spent some years as a musician with some disposable income to fuel my desires. Half of my man cave is decorated with instruments and recording gear that I used very little, and haven't touched in years. Some of it, I really should sell (so I can buy other toys and tools). A few pieces, I will never sell.

GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) is a real thing.
Old 01-14-21, 05:32 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
I ordered my wheel without holes so I don't need any tape. Thanks though.
None of the reasons I mentioned for using TL tape were related to whether your rim has holes. But yes, you probably don't need tape.
Likes For smashndash:
Old 01-14-21, 09:39 PM
vtje

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3, 2021 Carbonda Gravel, 2019 Ibis HD4, 2016 Ibis Mojo HD3, 2016 Specialized Demo 8 II, 2015 Specialized P26

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Toespeas
DO NOT GO ROAD TUBELESS , there is no point to road tubeless , you have no ability to deal with the problems that you will face , save yourself the time and money and just get some regular gp5ks and high quality latex tubes !
Old 03-31-22, 04:09 AM
sean.hwy

When you do go tubeless we’ll be here to help and that you will definitely feel a difference lol
A little update. I have since sold the topstone gravel bike ( long time ago ). Recently sold the systemsix ( a couple weeks ago ). I have had the Giant gravel bike since april 2021.
The Giant came tubeless. Heavy tires so I put some gravel kings 32mm slicks. The lightbicycle wheels came with stems and the rims have no holes in them so it was easy to install tubeless tires 25mm road tires on them.

I tried all the tricks on youtube to seat the 32mm gravel kings with a regular floor pump. I was not having any luck. I bought this charge pump. I only use it with the valve stem out and only to seat the tire. I then use my normal floor pump to pump up the tires. While it works fine if I had the space I would have preferred to buy a HF quite small air compressor.
https://shop.sportsbasement.com/prod...ve-2-5-gls-blk

I have a few cheap allow wheel sets ( l like lots of wheel sets for my gravel bike, different tires and different gears ) that I would like to convert to tubeless. What kind of tape and valve stem should I get?

Yeah I am convert now. I have bleed out some sealant hitting a rock/thorn what ever that would have flatted a tube tire. I took the wheel off put the hole at the very bottom so all the sealant would go to the area. spun the tire a few times added a little more air and made it home just fine.

I kind of regretted just buying my wheels plain with nothing on them. The gf said she didn't care either way. So the plan was the new wheels with labels was going to be mine and she would get the plain lightbike wheels. As you can see she changed her mind. ha-ha

Old 03-31-22, 05:59 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20803 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
I have a few cheap allow wheel sets ( l like lots of wheel sets for my gravel bike, different tires and different gears ) that I would like to convert to tubeless. What kind of tape and valve stem should I get?
DT Swiss rim tape is, far and away, my favorite tubeless tape. Keep in mind that you'll need the proper width for each rim, so you might need multiple rolls.

For valves, the main two things that I look out for are: length and internal clearance. Length for obvious reasons, the internal clearance so that I can inject/remove sealant with a syringe. Unfortunately, some stems have a constriction point inside that'll keep a syringe tube from fully passing through. I tend to buy Muc-Off alloy stems because they're available locally and I know that they work.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-31-22, 06:34 AM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
DT Swiss is good tubeless rim tape but I just set a new carbon wheelset up using Muc-Off tape, stems, and sealant and it all was easy to install with no drama.

For the tape buy it a few mm wider than the internal rim width to account for the center channel. When you stretch it out give it a side to side wiggle and do a spoke hole or two at a time using your thumb to press out any air bubbles as you work around.
Likes For KJ43:
Old 03-31-22, 06:40 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Glad that the sealant did its job. I have started to prefer Muc-Off tape as well. I am not sure what tape (if any) my 303 Firecrests will come with but I'll check with them and keep some handy. I always throw in a tube and regular tires overnight first...foolproof that way. Well, not as foolproof as Skinny Strippers (a super thin rubber or latex band that goes around the rim) but as close as it gets.
Likes For Chandne:
Old 03-31-22, 06:56 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Happy to hear that all worked out, nice that the GF made the switch as well lol.

are your alloy wheels tubeless compatible? If not, although many have converted normal wheels to tubeless using an extra layer of rim tape I’m not sure if I would risk it with the high pressures of road tubeless.

if they are tubeless compatible then the guys above have given all the suggestions I would have as well.

enjoy!
Likes For robbyville:
Old 03-31-22, 08:06 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2973 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
Originally Posted by Toespeas
DO NOT GO ROAD TUBELESS , there is no point to road tubeless , you have no ability to deal with the problems that you will face , save yourself the time and money and just get some regular gp5ks and high quality latex tubes !

Old 03-31-22, 08:08 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20803 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
Originally Posted by KJ43
DT Swiss is good tubeless rim tape but I just set a new carbon wheelset up using Muc-Off tape, stems, and sealant and it all was easy to install with no drama.
Originally Posted by Chandne
I have started to prefer Muc-Off tape as well.
Is the Muc-Off tape more along the lines of DT Swiss (more rubbery with some stretch) or Stan's/etc (plastic film without much give)? My only two knocks against DT Swiss are cost and availability, so if something comparable or better improves upon either or both of those points, that'd be a win.

Originally Posted by Chandne
I am not sure what tape (if any) my 303 Firecrests will come with but I'll check with them and keep some handy.
My 303S came wrapped with Zipp branded tape that looks very much like DT Swiss. No extra tape was provided.
Old 03-31-22, 08:23 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
[QUOTE=WhyFi;22456947]Is the Muc-Off tape more along the lines of DT Swiss (more rubbery with some stretch) or Stan's/etc (plastic film without much give)? My only two knocks against DT Swiss are cost and availability, so if something comparable or better improves upon either or both of those points, that'd be a win.

It seems to be thinner than Stan's and with a little more give. I think DT Swiss and Muc Off are the best tapes for most wheels. I do not like Stan's or Whiskey but I have never used Schwalbe.
Likes For Chandne:
Old 03-31-22, 09:05 AM
sean.hwy

Happy to hear that all worked out, nice that the GF made the switch as well lol.

are your alloy wheels tubeless compatible? If not, although many have converted normal wheels to tubeless using an extra layer of rim tape I’m not sure if I would risk it with the high pressures of road tubeless.

if they are tubeless compatible then the guys above have given all the suggestions I would have as well.

enjoy!

from the good deal thread post #2973
https://www.bikeforums.net/22370478-post2973.html

I purchased these cheap rims and tires for $200. The tires have actually been great. I have used them on lot's of gravel rides. lol
Continental Grand Sport Clincher tyre – 28mm

the link says tubeless ready

https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-w...ime=1641246181

Tyre Type: 2-way Fit Ready (For Clincher And Tubeless Ready)
Rim Width: 23,8 Mm
Inner Rim Width (Channel) : 19 Mm

Does that mean I need to buy tape that's 19mm?

Is this no name brand ok at $15 ( 1000 review )
https://www.amazon.com/BWSHLF-Tubele...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

or better to get the muc off one at $27 ( only 35 reviews. weird less reviews but it's a name brand )
https://www.amazon.com/Muc-Off-Tubel...13&sr=8-7&th=1
Old 03-31-22, 09:14 AM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Is the Muc-Off tape more along the lines of DT Swiss (more rubbery with some stretch) or Stan's/etc (plastic film without much give)? My only two knocks against DT Swiss are cost and availability, so if something comparable or better improves upon either or both of those points, that'd be a win.
I agree with Chandne's assessment. The Muc-Off tape seems a very slight bit more stretchy than the DT Swiss tape and the transparency makes it easier to poke the hole for the valve in the center of the opening. But both tapes were similarly easy to install though the transparency of the Muc-Off made it a bit easier to spot any air bubbles as well.
Likes For KJ43:
Old 03-31-22, 09:19 AM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Tyre Type: 2-way Fit Ready (For Clincher And Tubeless Ready)
Rim Width: 23,8 Mm
Inner Rim Width (Channel) : 19 Mm

Does that mean I need to buy tape that's 19mm?
For a 19mm inner width I think you might want to go with 21mm wide tape. The center channel will take some of the width and my understanding is that in a perfect world the tire bead will sit over the edge of the tape for the best possible seal. But the important thing is to get the tape down solidly, without air bubbles, especially around the spoke holes.

After I install my tape I run a bunched up (clean) rag over it to smooth it out, run a tire lever over the sides to get them down, and then install the tires to max pressure and see how they do overnight. I don't expect them to hold full pressure overnight, but it's a good test before putting sealant in.
Likes For KJ43:
Old 03-31-22, 10:18 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Lol, I always seem to be late to the party! I think the above poster is correct I would go with a 21 mm or thereabouts. I prefer to use a namebrand rim tape like the DT or Muc off, It lasts as long as you need it to number of years for the few extra dollars but that’s just me!
Likes For robbyville: