Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Interesting finds around the web

Old 09-13-20, 07:51 AM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
Baby Puke the good news is even if tech on 19mm tyres stopped right now, the Pista Speed Vittorias are very good, it'll be many years before they aren't at the very very pointy end. That said, even the last bastion (track) seems like it's finally joining the wider trend. Makes sense overall, but does indeed suck for older narrow wheels like the (non-rio) iO and trispokes.
Old 09-13-20, 08:29 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke
23mm would look like a monster truck tire on my early 2000's (??) era IO. Please track cycling gods, have pity!
I have one of the last IOs before the Rio. 23s aren't that bad on it. I'm not sure if my version is wider than yours though.
Old 09-13-20, 03:26 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
I have one of the last IOs before the Rio. 23s aren't that bad on it. I'm not sure if my version is wider than yours though.
Well, 19 is perfect on mine, so 23 would be..., not perfect. Yours must be wider.
Old 09-20-20, 06:21 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Yes, we make a 4-Bolt and 5-Bolt version of the adapter. It goes 110BCD to 144BCD with space for Sram and Quark PM electronics.

Old 09-23-20, 01:17 AM
SynergyPro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Claudio Imhoff Setting Swiss Hour record on aerocoach pursuit bar. Guess the whole pursuit squad is on these now. Also received mine.
Old 09-23-20, 07:10 AM
SynergyPro

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Argon 18 Electron Pro (not the Australia Version, no mention of it in the catalogue) now with a sprint specific layup.
geometry is the same as pursuit.
Old 09-23-20, 07:41 AM
topflightpro

I'm pretty sure it's the same bike as the pursuit, it just doesn't come with the pursuit bars.
Old 09-23-20, 12:47 PM
SynergyPro

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's the same bike as the pursuit, it just doesn't come with the pursuit bars.
I don’t think they would do that and there would be no reason to market this as a different lay up, they could claim its stiff enough as many sprinters used the “pursuit” frame.

I’ve met the product manager and he told me about the carbon lay up and the stiffness requirements for the AIS bike. I guess they took the knowledge from this to update the bike they supply to the Canadian team, as the AIS bike remains exclusive to the Aussies. (till after Tokyo?)
Old 09-24-20, 07:37 AM
topflightpro

They tweaked the marketing language, but the frames are the same. The sprint version just does not include the pursuit bars, and it's the same frame the Canadians and Danes are riding. Also, Argon isn't producing any more track frames until after the Olympics. It's unclear whether that version of the Electron Pro will still be available after this year. Last I heard, there were only a couple frames left for purchase - and none in the "sprint" version.

And if you think about it, there is no benefit or rationale to building two different versions of the same frame with different layups. The Electron Pro is a very low seller. If they produce and sell 1000 frames a year, I'd be surprised. So, I cannot see them justifying two different carbon layups for so few frames.

Also, I have the frame.
Old 09-24-20, 01:14 PM
SynergyPro

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
They tweaked the marketing language, but the frames are the same. The sprint version just does not include the pursuit bars, and it's the same frame the Canadians and Danes are riding. Also, Argon isn't producing any more track frames until after the Olympics. It's unclear whether that version of the Electron Pro will still be available after this year. Last I heard, there were only a couple frames left for purchase - and none in the "sprint" version.

And if you think about it, there is no benefit or rationale to building two different versions of the same frame with different layups. The Electron Pro is a very low seller. If they produce and sell 1000 frames a year, I'd be surprised. So, I cannot see them justifying two different carbon layups for so few frames.

Also, I have the frame.
guess a weight check would clear this, but I also haven’t seen any pricing (which might confirm this).

But look also did two layups in the past... talking about rationales, having a Track Frame in the collection never makes much sense sales wise.

I guess a lot of track frames won’t get produced this year anymore. Companies are using all their production slots for road and gravel, sales are crazy this year.

with you owning the frame, do you think it is in need of a different lay up?
Old 09-24-20, 03:14 PM
topflightpro

Not at all. It is rather stiff.
Old 09-24-20, 11:14 PM
SynergyPro

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Also no new Modell on the approved frames list.
Old 09-28-20, 12:22 AM
m_sasso

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 60 Posts
Have a friend that is selling his size medium, if anyone is looking for an Electron Pro.
Old 03-11-21, 07:46 AM
topflightpro

Argon added it's Tokyo bikes to its website: https://www.argon18.com/en/bikes/track

The geometry has been updated a bit, going longer and taller. And Argon claims there is a difference in the Sprint/Pursuit frames, but given the geometry and details, I have a very hard time believing they are really making two different frames. But I do know the forks are different on each.

Also interesting, it only accepts Thru-Axle front wheels. I'm not actually familiar with any TA track wheels.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 03-11-21, 06:25 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Phil Hindes has pics and video on his socials of the new Hope bike
Old 03-12-21, 10:46 AM
Clythio

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Argon added it's Tokyo bikes to its website: https://www.argon18.com/en/bikes/track
The geometry has been updated a bit, going longer and taller. And Argon claims there is a difference in the Sprint/Pursuit frames, but given the geometry and details, I have a very hard time believing they are really making two different frames. But I do know the forks are different on each.
Also interesting, it only accepts Thru-Axle front wheels. I'm not actually familiar with any TA track wheels.
They don't need necessarily to make different geometries - for the "sprint version", one can add some extra layers of carbon/resin on the right places, in order to improve stiffness. +200g wouldn't make any difference for the big guys.
For example, I had both "regular and top" versions of Scott CR-1 and Scott Addict and the -150g on the frame, -100 on the fork came from a cost of a much more flexible chasses. I'm a 90kg sprinter, liked the "regular" version at most, on both models.
Likes For Clythio:
Old 03-13-21, 09:49 AM
topflightpro

My point wasn't that they couldn't add carbon to increase stiffness. My thought is given the total number of frames they will likely sell and the fact that both the sprint and pursuit versions have the same paint job, I cannot imagine they can justify the cost of managing two production lines. It would be much more reasonable to assume they are building one frame and packaging it with a different fork/handlebar option, depending on the version you want.

I'm reminded of something a friend who used to wait tables at a very high-end restaurant told me - if you ask for coffee with dessert, there's a good chance you're getting decaf whether you asked for it because they need to empty the decaf pots.

Also, I found details on compatible front wheels - for the sprint version, you can get a Campy front disk, FSA Tri-Spoke or Corima 4-Spoke through Argon, and for the pursuit version, you can only use the Zipp wheels.

Last edited by topflightpro; 03-13-21 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-14-21, 12:10 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
My point wasn't that they couldn't add carbon to increase stiffness. My thought is given the total number of frames they will likely sell and the fact that both the sprint and pursuit versions have the same paint job, I cannot imagine they can justify the cost of managing two production lines. It would be much more reasonable to assume they are building one frame and packaging it with a different fork/handlebar option, depending on the version you want.

I'm reminded of something a friend who used to wait tables at a very high-end restaurant told me - if you ask for coffee with dessert, there's a good chance you're getting decaf whether you asked for it because they need to empty the decaf pots.
But that's exactly what Felt did with the TK1 Endurance and TK1 Sprint (or whatever they were called a few years ago. The Sprint model used a heavier layup.

So, maybe they are saving money by not creating separate Endurance and Spring molds for each given size. Maybe they are using the same molds and adding more carbon when the sprint frames are being produced. (I don't know if that's how it would go down. Not familiar with carbon fiber manufacturing.)

On a related note, I know for a fact that this is how Mr. Tiemeyer made frames for his clients. He would ask you about you power output (actual or estimated) then choose tubing to match. So, two riders riding the same events with the same body geometry but dramatically different power profiles would get bikes with the same angles and dimensions but the more powerful rider would get thicker tubing. The bikes would look identical from the outside, but the one with thicker tubing would be noticeably heavier...and stiffer under torque.

Seth Snyder used the same principle when he made my steel frame. Steel frames are known to be very compliant and can be flexy under huge load. But, Snyder chose tubing that was thicker than his normal tubing and the outcome was a steel frame that had the geometry and stiffness of a LOOK 496 for a fraction of the cost...with a round seat tube and Chris King head tube. It handled like it was on rails.
Old 03-15-21, 04:12 AM
m@tty

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton

So, maybe they are saving money by not creating separate Endurance and Spring molds for each given size. Maybe they are using the same molds and adding more carbon when the sprint frames are being produced. (I don't know if that's how it would go down. Not familiar with carbon fiber manufacturing.)
Good overview of how the GB Hope Frames are made here from Concept to Final Product!
Old 07-21-21, 07:46 AM
Morelock

Those S shaped 3D printed risers are something new
Likes For Morelock:
Old 07-22-21, 10:58 AM
700wheel

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Homemade start gate

I am thinging about making a start gate for start practice.
I found this one on youtube
Home made starting gate DIY cycling starting gate velodrome - Bing video

Any other ideas?

Old 07-22-21, 03:34 PM
Morelock

There was someone on the track sprinting facebook page ~ year ago that made a pretty slick setup that hooked to their hitch on vehicle

*found it - search for a post by Brent Atkins in the tracksprinting group
Old 07-22-21, 05:02 PM
700wheel

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Morelock
There was someone on the track sprinting facebook page ~ year ago that made a pretty slick setup that hooked to their hitch on vehicle

*found it - search for a post by Brent Atkins in the tracksprinting group
Thanks. Found the post at
(20+) TrackSprinting : by popular demand here is the, "How It's Made" video to show in more detail the design of my vehicle mount gate start jig.It could be made with a locking clamp so the rider can pre-load the pedals for a more explosive exit but for practicing timing and the body mechanics this works fairly well | Facebook " data-width="500" data-show-text="true" data-lazy="true">
(20+) TrackSprinting : by popular demand here is the, "How It's Made" video to show in more detail the design of my vehicle mount gate start jig.It could be made with a locking clamp so the rider can pre-load the pedals for a more explosive exit but for practicing timing and the body mechanics this works fairly well | Facebook " class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore">Facebook Post

Last edited by 700wheel; 07-22-21 at 05:05 PM.
Old 08-12-21, 05:17 AM
m@tty

While scouring the web today found these.

https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/356910/
Old 08-12-21, 10:28 AM
m@tty

And looks like I have found the new frame!
https://worxbikes.com/product/track-wx-r-frameset/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.