Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why pay extra for Trek or Specialized?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Why pay extra for Trek or Specialized?

Old 10-28-21, 10:36 AM
  #26  
seypat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 6,793
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2251 Post(s)
Liked 1,305 Times in 852 Posts
Doesn't Giant make some of the bikes for Trek and Specialized? You might be buying a Giant made bike anyway.
seypat is offline  
Old 10-28-21, 10:42 AM
  #27  
Riveting
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO
Posts: 1,221

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 260 Posts
Can someone tell me why these differently equipped bikes cost different prices???
Riveting is offline  
Old 10-28-21, 11:34 AM
  #28  
PeteHski
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 3,188
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1502 Post(s)
Liked 1,618 Times in 1,032 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat View Post
Doesn't Giant make some of the bikes for Trek and Specialized? You might be buying a Giant made bike anyway.
Probably true, but they make them to the design and spec of Trek and Specialized, so they are different bikes.
What you can say though is that Giant are very competent at manufacturing bikes and, being the largest producer in the world, they have economies of scale making them generally very competitive on pricing.
What Giant lack is brand cache. I have a Giant Defy and it is an excellent endurance bike, but it doesn't have any soul/character/X-factor or whatever you want to call it. But then again Trek and Specialized don't do much for me in that respect either. They are all bikes you see literally everywhere. I would get the one that you like the best. They are all decent bikes.
PeteHski is offline  
Old 10-28-21, 02:33 PM
  #29  
Dimago123
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by phrantic09 View Post
If you’re dying for rim brakes I have the perfect bike for you…
what bike is that
Dimago123 is offline  
Old 10-28-21, 02:35 PM
  #30  
phrantic09
Fat n slow
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Saratoga, NY
Posts: 2,914

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2186 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 610 Posts
Originally Posted by Dimago123 View Post
what bike is that
2019 Cervelo R3 w/ Ultegra Di2

phrantic09 is offline  
Old 10-28-21, 02:37 PM
  #31  
Dimago123
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by phrantic09 View Post
2019 Cervelo R3 w/ Ultegra Di2

are you offering to sell it to me? Or just joking around?
What size frame ( if serious)
Dimago123 is offline  
Old 10-28-21, 02:38 PM
  #32  
phrantic09
Fat n slow
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Saratoga, NY
Posts: 2,914

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2186 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 610 Posts
Originally Posted by Dimago123 View Post
are you offering to sell it to me? Or just joking around?
What size frame ( if serious)
Its not for sale yet. Maybe in a couple of months. Size 56
phrantic09 is offline  
Old 10-30-21, 02:45 PM
  #33  
Calsun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 455
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 81 Posts
Important to look at the customer support provided by the manufacturer and the shop where you intend to purchase the bike. I have purchased 3 Specialized and 1 Scott bike this year and the pre and post sale experience varied greatly. The nearest Giant dealer is a 90 minute drive or 3 hours round trip so I would never consider buying a Giant bike for that reason alone. The 3 Trek bike shops near me are all owned by the same person and he hired a part time manager to oversee all three shops. This does not work at all well for the customer experience as I found out when shopping for a Trek Domane + HP and I ended up buying two Specialized Turbo Creo SL bikes instead.
Calsun is offline  
Likes For Calsun:
Old 11-01-21, 06:22 PM
  #34  
viffer
Live to Ride
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
In the good old days you would drop by your local LBS and try out a bunch of different bikes and buy the one you liked most. Bikes vary in terms of fit, comfort, performance, feel, weight, build quality, durability and visual appeal. I remember in the past I could never get a Giant frame to fit right. They assumed their compact geometry allowed them to get away with making only four or five frame sizes but I always felt I was somewhere in between. The Treks always felt good right out of the box and could be dialed in perfectly by the LBS. Fit is always critical. Buy the bike that fits and feels right.
viffer is offline  
Old 11-02-21, 02:00 AM
  #35  
downhillmaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 1,650
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked 751 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by Dimago123 View Post
maybe I was rounding up in my head. But it was like $2300 for TCR and $3200 for the specialized

I should say, that lower end TCR comes with rim brakes and the trek and specialized carbon models are disc only. In Chicago where I live there is very little elevation. Very flat. And I don’t ride in the rain. So why pay more for a heavier disc tech? And hydraulic needs occasional bleeding. Ugh

I’m just thinking out loud before committing. I hope more options are available soon around here and I can ride a couple different bikes to see how they actually feel
If you have narrowed it down to those three and are able to test ride all three of them and neither of them stands out, you should definitely go with the Giant if you are okay with rim brakes.
Bikes in general depreciate greatly. Worrying about an unquantified amount of that depreciation at time of purchase is just plain silly.
downhillmaster is offline  
Old 11-02-21, 01:26 PM
  #36  
Calsun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 455
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 81 Posts
Be sure you are comparing apples to apples in terms of the brakes, derailleurs, and drivetrain, as this is where manufacturers make choices to meet a given price point. It may not matter but if you decide to upgrade components later it will cost you more than to get a higher grade model with them installed by the factory. In terms of reach there is no need to stay with the factory installed stem and changing to one that is longer or shorter may make a great deal of difference in riding comfort.

Something I like very much about Specialized is their incredibly broad range of bike families with very different frame geometry choices for their road bikes. Giant and Trek are much larger companies but they do not come close to offering this range.
Calsun is offline  
Old 11-02-21, 03:09 PM
  #37  
eduskator
Senior Member
 
eduskator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 1,177

Bikes: TCR Pro, Revolt Adv, Trance X

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Dimago123 View Post
Looking to get a new race geo bike and looking at the 105 equipped Giant TCR that is comparably equipped about $1000 less than the Trek Emonda sl5 or specialized tarmac sl6. What gives?? Is it just branding? Marketing? Would a noob like myself know the difference? Should I save the thousand and get nicer wheels down the line??
Giant is one of the biggest wolf of the industry. They have an enormous purchasing power, resulting in their ability to produce and sell good bicycles at more than competitive prices. For instance, they manufacture their composite (CF) in house instead of buying it, and produce their framesets in house as well instead of having them manufacturer by the other big players like some of them do.

If you compare a Giant bike to an equally equipped bike from another manufacturer (make sure you are comparing apples with apple as there may be slight differences between the two bikes), Giant will most likely always be cheaper.

If you are a ''noob'' and like the ''general feel'' of the Giant bicycle you tried at a LBS, then I would say go ahead and buy it. Ride it like you stole it!

Last edited by eduskator; 11-02-21 at 03:12 PM.
eduskator is offline  
Likes For eduskator:
Old 11-02-21, 03:56 PM
  #38  
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli
 
Sy Reene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I am
Posts: 7,761

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4175 Post(s)
Liked 1,168 Times in 766 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun View Post
Be sure you are comparing apples to apples in terms of the brakes, derailleurs, and drivetrain, as this is where manufacturers make choices to meet a given price point. It may not matter but if you decide to upgrade components later it will cost you more than to get a higher grade model with them installed by the factory. .
It depends on what configuration you want. Simple example.. you like the Tarmac SL6 (105 version) but want electronic drivetrain. Better off buying a Di2 upgrade kit for an SL6 or going to the first model they sell with Di2?

Last edited by Sy Reene; 11-02-21 at 04:05 PM.
Sy Reene is offline  
Old 11-02-21, 10:45 PM
  #39  
weekend30rider
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PeteHski View Post
Probably true, but they make them to the design and spec of Trek and Specialized, so they are different bikes.
What you can say though is that Giant are very competent at manufacturing bikes and, being the largest producer in the world, they have economies of scale making them generally very competitive on pricing.
What Giant lack is brand cache. I have a Giant Defy and it is an excellent endurance bike, but it doesn't have any soul/character/X-factor or whatever you want to call it. But then again Trek and Specialized don't do much for me in that respect either. They are all bikes you see literally everywhere. I would get the one that you like the best. They are all decent bikes.
I wrestle with this TBO. My brain tells me the Defy is as good as any other endurance bike (+/- slight variations I couldn’t appreciate), and I also know they don’t market as well as the other brands. But my system 1 brain screams it needs one of the sexier brands and that I wouldn’t be happy without a Cervelo or maybe Specialized.
weekend30rider is offline  
Old 11-04-21, 07:28 AM
  #40  
Hiro11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,547

Bikes: To the right: opinions, not facts.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 738 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 208 Posts
My primary road bike is a Giant. I compared a wide variety of bikes when I bought that bike and it was really easy to go with Giant. Not to sound like an ad for Giant, but here's what I percieve:

1. Giant road bikes routinely are highly rated in reviews and routinely win comparison tests.
2. Giant bikes are well known to have some of the best and most advanced carbon quality offered. Giant is vertically integrated and their scale allows them to do things at a reasonable cost that few other manufacturers can do. For example, check out the carbon construction on the TCR Advanced SL. They weave their own carbon and use very advanced and accurate automated layup and molding techniques. The result is very light, durable and affordable frames that ride very well.
3. Giant routinely has a better spec at a better price. Giant throws in good dual-sided power meters starting at midrange prices. Giant specs very modern hookless carbon wheels and rebranded DT Swiss hubs at very low prices. For a comparable build, a Giant is always going to be 10-20% lower than Trek or Specialized and often has better parts even with that discount.
4. Giant is well known among mechanics for being relatively easy to work on. There's little fluff in Giant bikes, everything is relatively simple and tried-and-true. Their internal routing is easy. Their headset designs are sometimes weirdly sized but simple in their engineering. They use the BB86 standard, which is generally known to be the most problem free press fit standard, and their BBs have better tolerances than almost any brand. Their seatposts don't slip. Etc.
5. Giant has one of the best carbon warranties on the market.
Hiro11 is offline  
Likes For Hiro11:
Old 11-07-21, 11:29 AM
  #41  
Ghazmh
Senior Member
 
Ghazmh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: The banks of the River Charles
Posts: 1,793

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 666 Times in 375 Posts
I like the specs on the Giant fat bike but wish they had a carbon version.
Ghazmh is offline  
Old 11-07-21, 11:49 AM
  #42  
Calsun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 455
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 81 Posts
When buying a Specialized Stumpjumper last month the price for the alloy frame bike was $3,500 and $4,200 for the carbon back in February. In October the price for the carbon frame version (otherwise identical components) was $4,700 or a $1,200 premium for the carbon frame. For my own riding paying $1,200 to have a 3 lb lighter trail bike was not worth it and I bought the alloy version.
Calsun is offline  
Old 11-13-21, 12:57 AM
  #43  
Kimmo 
bike whisperer
 
Kimmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Melbourne, Oz
Posts: 9,455

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1471 Post(s)
Liked 683 Times in 483 Posts
+1 Giant - it's the brand for discerning folks who aren't into wank. The fact they're a bit cheaper is a reflection of the fact they're a proper huge company, of a scale only rivaled by Shimano in the bike industry, so they stand to have the best R&D, like Shimano.

And TCRs are proper weapons. I'm not a fan of the oversized steerer or the pressfit BB, so mine's an 06, but I'm just picky.

Mind you, they did completely stuff up the gear cable routing on the 1st_gen Propel, and those fiddly boat-anchor cable to hydro adapters they stuck on everything for a while were just awful, so they're not perfect, but they're as good as Shimano, so top tier.
Kimmo is offline  
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 11-13-21, 05:13 AM
  #44  
Dimago123
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by weekend30rider View Post
I wrestle with this TBO. My brain tells me the Defy is as good as any other endurance bike (+/- slight variations I couldn’t appreciate), and I also know they don’t market as well as the other brands. But my system 1 brain screams it needs one of the sexier brands and that I wouldn’t be happy without a Cervelo or maybe Specialized.
i can relate to this. Some companies spend more on cool advertising and have a reputation to be sexy like you said. On one ride with some dudes a bunch of people came up to us bc one guy had a new BMC road machine and everyone was gushing. I had a pretty rare steel bike with Columbus zona tubing and no one cared
Dimago123 is offline  
Old 11-13-21, 01:12 PM
  #45  
Calsun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 455
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 81 Posts
Best R&D is with Specialized and it shows in the key patents they have held for the past 20 years for MTB components. Shimano is most likely having their parts made in China or Malaysia and not in Taiwan. Taiwan provides much higher quality for manufacturing but labor costs are higher as they do not use slave labor in any form. German companies have their products designed in Germany and often manufactured in Taiwan. Specialized is currently having its bike made in Taiwan which further reflects on the quality of this country's manufacturers.

These companies have benefited from their ability to get bank loans to finance new tooling and new factories. In the USA funding for small manufacturers dried up completely after 2008 and more than 2 million machinists in Ohio alone found themselves out on the street. Great way to cripple unions but at a high cost to workers and their familiers. I have had my company's tools made in Taiwan for the past 15 years and some made in China for the past 10 years. When I spent 6 months trying to find a company in the USA to manufacture a brand new high end tool there was no one to be found. All said they could not get loans from their bank and this was after working with them for 30 years.

Most of what is shown as made in the USA is actually made in Asia and then shipped to Mexico and assembled or boxed and then, with NAFTA, it can then be taken across the border and sold with a USA source of origin label.

This year I bought two Specialized e-bikes for road and a Specialized Stumpjumper full suspension MTB and this was after spending weeks looking at what was available to buy and the components supplied on the various bikes. It is far easier in the current situation to buy a bike that is already equipped with most of what you want instead of trying to find items on the Web. Even so I am having to buy and install a dropper post on my hardtail as this is still considered an extra by all the bike companies for bikes priced below $2,000. One more reason to work with the people at a local bike shop. Money spent in your community is "recycled" many times whereas money spent at a mail order company or at a Wal-Mart immediately leaves the community. I support local jobs with my wallet.
Calsun is offline  
Old 11-13-21, 07:55 PM
  #46  
Maelochs
Senior Member
 
Maelochs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 13,580

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6588 Post(s)
Liked 1,750 Times in 952 Posts
Originally Posted by Dimago123 View Post
i can relate to this. Some companies spend more on cool advertising and have a reputation to be sexy like you said. On one ride with some dudes a bunch of people came up to us bc one guy had a new BMC road machine and everyone was gushing. I had a pretty rare steel bike with Columbus zona tubing and no one cared
Everyone is different, and if you want to spend more money and get less bike so your friends will be impressed, go for it.

or ... buy some decals of their favorite brand and slap them on your cheaper, better Giant.
Maelochs is offline  
Old 11-13-21, 08:18 PM
  #47  
Kimmo 
bike whisperer
 
Kimmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Melbourne, Oz
Posts: 9,455

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1471 Post(s)
Liked 683 Times in 483 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
or ... buy some decals of their favorite brand and slap them on your cheaper, better Giant.
Maybe it's just me, but to my eye, quality speaks for itself... Giant doesn't bother with their high-end Cadex brand much at all, and on this bad boy, originally equipped with 7800 and retailing for AU$8.5k, they totally undercut Shimano's decision not to splash their name on Dura-Ace with blinging versions of the Shimano chainstay decals you see on BSOs (the decals that look white in this pic are brushed metal). Leaning into it.

Kimmo is offline  
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 11-14-21, 05:20 AM
  #48  
hose
Miyata Mike
 
hose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: belchertown, MA
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun View Post
Best R&D is with Specialized and it shows in the key patents they have held for the past 20 years for MTB components. Shimano is most likely having their parts made in China or Malaysia and not in Taiwan. Taiwan provides much higher quality for manufacturing but labor costs are higher as they do not use slave labor in any form. German companies have their products designed in Germany and often manufactured in Taiwan. Specialized is currently having its bike made in Taiwan which further reflects on the quality of this country's manufacturers.

These companies have benefited from their ability to get bank loans to finance new tooling and new factories. In the USA funding for small manufacturers dried up completely after 2008 and more than 2 million machinists in Ohio alone found themselves out on the street. Great way to cripple unions but at a high cost to workers and their familiers. I have had my company's tools made in Taiwan for the past 15 years and some made in China for the past 10 years. When I spent 6 months trying to find a company in the USA to manufacture a brand new high end tool there was no one to be found. All said they could not get loans from their bank and this was after working with them for 30 years.

Most of what is shown as made in the USA is actually made in Asia and then shipped to Mexico and assembled or boxed and then, with NAFTA, it can then be taken across the border and sold with a USA source of origin label.

This year I bought two Specialized e-bikes for road and a Specialized Stumpjumper full suspension MTB and this was after spending weeks looking at what was available to buy and the components supplied on the various bikes. It is far easier in the current situation to buy a bike that is already equipped with most of what you want instead of trying to find items on the Web. Even so I am having to buy and install a dropper post on my hardtail as this is still considered an extra by all the bike companies for bikes priced below $2,000. One more reason to work with the people at a local bike shop. Money spent in your community is "recycled" many times whereas money spent at a mail order company or at a Wal-Mart immediately leaves the community. I support local jobs with my wallet.

It's almost a certainty that Specialized bikes are made on the mainland and shipped to TPE for paint
hose is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.