Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

what is that thingy on the fork

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

what is that thingy on the fork

Old 11-15-21, 09:48 AM
  #26  
HillRider
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 33,262

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1822 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 760 Times in 553 Posts
Originally Posted by cyrano138 View Post
I meant the wrench trick. I think I'm picturing it wrongly.
Yes, you are. The adjustable wrench is set to butt up against the edges of the crown race from underneath. You tap against the underside of the wrench head to loosen the race. The steerer threading has no effect.

Again, this only works if the race is larger than the fork crown.
HillRider is offline  
Old 11-15-21, 09:53 AM
  #27  
cyrano138 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
cyrano138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Venice, FL
Posts: 575

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn LeTour, 1977 Raleigh Super Course (converted to fixed gear), 199X GT outpost

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider View Post
Yes, you are. The adjustable wrench is set to butt up against the edges of the crown race from underneath. You tap against the underside of the wrench head to loosen the race. The steerer threading has no effect.

Again, this only works if the race is larger than the fork crown.
Gotcha. I'll try that next time, thanks.
cyrano138 is offline  
Old 11-15-21, 09:58 AM
  #28  
ted_major
Senior Member
 
ted_major's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Tuscaloosa, Ala.
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider View Post
Yes, you are. The adjustable wrench is set to butt up against the edges of the crown race from underneath. You tap against the underside of the wrench head to loosen the race. The steerer threading has no effect.

Again, this only works if the race is larger than the fork crown.
Yes, that's what I was trying to describe. Thanks for the assist.
ted_major is offline  
Old 11-15-21, 10:05 AM
  #29  
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist
 
cyccommute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 25,160

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 136 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked 2,362 Times in 1,397 Posts
Originally Posted by cyrano138 View Post
I meant the wrench trick. I think I'm picturing it wrongly.
Sorry. Thought you were talking about installing the race.
__________________
Stuart Black
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
cyccommute is offline  
Old 11-15-21, 11:00 AM
  #30  
squirtdad
Senior Member
 
squirtdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Jose (Willow Glen) Ca
Posts: 8,338

Bikes: 85 team Miyata (modern 5800 105) , '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1681 Post(s)
Liked 1,222 Times in 765 Posts
Originally Posted by cyrano138 View Post
I also made my own installation tool. If I ever get to work on some ultra high-end fancy bike maybe I'll get something nicer with this seems to do the trick for now.

As for removals, I looked up a few videos and, again, for the kind of bikes I'm working on a hammer and screwdriver will probably be fine.
that won't work for a crown race. I use a piece of heavy duty pvc pipe and a rubber mallet.

are you replacing the entire headset? make sure you measure and the correct replacement size.

as for finding online sheldon or park tools

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/headsets.html
squirtdad is offline  
Old 11-15-21, 03:11 PM
  #31  
Litespud
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Chapel Hill NC
Posts: 1,606

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S, Nashbar 3sp commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by cyrano138 View Post
I also made my own installation tool. If I ever get to work on some ultra high-end fancy bike maybe I'll get something nicer with this seems to do the trick for now.

As for removals, I looked up a few videos and, again, for the kind of bikes I'm working on a hammer and screwdriver will probably be fine.
How do you get that down around the outside of the steerer to press on the crown race? Unless there's an extra cylinder involved that you're not showing. This apparatus might be used to install the upper and lower head tube cups, but not the crown race. I use a metal tube with a section of PVC pipe pressed onto the "business end", and I sit the fork down onto a section of rounded-off 2x4 spanning a couple of trestles, so the fork legs aren't absorbing the shock. Couple of whacks with a dead blow hammer installed the last crown race. You could also cool the fork in the freezer and drop the race in some boiling water first, to enable a smoother press-fit. I've seen some people heat the race on a gas ring, but I wouldn't put that anywhere near a CF fork.
Litespud is offline  
Old 11-15-21, 03:17 PM
  #32  
cyrano138 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
cyrano138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Venice, FL
Posts: 575

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn LeTour, 1977 Raleigh Super Course (converted to fixed gear), 199X GT outpost

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud View Post
How do you get that down around the outside of the steerer to press on the crown race? Unless there's an extra cylinder involved that you're not showing. This apparatus might be used to install the upper and lower head tube cups, but not the crown race. I use a metal tube with a section of PVC pipe pressed onto the "business end", and I sit the fork down onto a section of rounded-off 2x4 spanning a couple of trestles, so the fork legs aren't absorbing the shock. Couple of whacks with a dead blow hammer installed the last crown race. You could also cool the fork in the freezer and drop the race in some boiling water first, to enable a smoother press-fit. I've seen some people heat the race on a gas ring, but I wouldn't put that anywhere near a CF fork.
Oh, no. That's for the installation of the two races that go into the head tube. I have an installation tool for the crown race . That's the park tool thing that I took a picture of earlier in the thread.
cyrano138 is offline  
Old 11-15-21, 07:00 PM
  #33  
Kimmo 
bike whisperer
 
Kimmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Melbourne, Oz
Posts: 9,455

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1471 Post(s)
Liked 683 Times in 483 Posts
Nm, late to the party
Kimmo is offline  
Likes For Kimmo:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.