Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Are French bikes junk?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Are French bikes junk?

Old 12-08-21, 07:12 PM
robertj298 

Bikes: 1983 Univega Super Strada, 1986 Panasonic DX5000, 1984 Fuji Team 85 Univega Gran Turismo, 1984 Lotus Unique, 1987 Centurion Expert, 1987 Centurion Ironman Master,

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
I suggest making your post titles a bit less trolly and they will likely be better received.
Don't have to worry because I'm done posting here
Likes For robertj298:
Old 12-08-21, 07:17 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,562 Times in 756 Posts
Originally Posted by thook
don't you haul things around over there, too? ie. firewood, lumber, animal feeds, all the bodies of your enemies you don't want to bury at your place? i mean, surely you have some use for trucks?
Utility trailers are pretty widely used in Europe. Its kind of amazing (and ridiculous, really) that the towing capacity of the exact same model of compact car is rated at about half in the US what it is in Europe, Canada, etc (if it is even 'rated' to pull a trailer in the US).... Alas, it's the 'American Way™'- ovens sized to accommodate a 35lb turkey once a year, refrigerators so large stuff gets lost in them for years, and the vehicles...... Where I live, every other vehicle is a massive, shiny pickup truck that looks like it's never carried a sheet of plywood or, really, much of anything ever!
Likes For ehcoplex:
Old 12-08-21, 08:09 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,565 Times in 3,764 Posts
Originally Posted by robertj298
I'd say that this is a bit of an overreaction.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 12-08-21, 08:11 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
If one has been hanging out here for three years and has no idea that:

A. The thread title could ruffle feathers, and
B. There might be some great French bikes,

then it's hard to imagine much learning has taken place.

This is a welcoming group that has shared immeasurable information over and over again for years. I've learned a lot here and mostly never even had to ask. I just looked up what I wanted to understand. Boom. Easy.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 12-08-21, 09:09 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by ehcoplex
Utility trailers are pretty widely used in Europe. Its kind of amazing (and ridiculous, really) that the towing capacity of the exact same model of compact car is rated at about half in the US what it is in Europe, Canada, etc (if it is even 'rated' to pull a trailer in the US).... Alas, it's the 'American Way™'- ovens sized to accommodate a 35lb turkey once a year, refrigerators so large stuff gets lost in them for years, and the vehicles...... Where I live, every other vehicle is a massive, shiny pickup truck that looks like it's never carried a sheet of plywood or, really, much of anything ever!
yeah, i don't know how to explain that. i have two '98 crv's. my wife's has a hitch, but it's very small and the most you could safely pull would be a little trailer that wouldn't do nearly what i need it to do. my crv doesn't even have provisions for a hitch, though. i'd have to modify the subframe for one. even then, with either car, the suspension is just not built for much weight. damage starts happening, otherwise. and, the little 4 cyl engines can't do much, either
where i live, a truck is a common and necessary vehicle. and, usually they look like they're very well used....lol
Old 12-08-21, 09:38 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by ehcoplex
It's true. I think the towing issue is related to legitimate liability concerns on the part of carmakers, related to the towing laws in different countries.
First the physics: with a light tow vehicle, speeds must be reduced to avoid trailer sway. Sway sounds benign, but it can get out of hand fast and turn into trailer whip, which can quickly lead to a rollover crash. Adding tongue weight can mitigate this, but if your load shifts around or if you catch a strong crosswind, there isn't much you can do if you're rolling at high speed.
In the UK, it's the law that cars towing trailers can't go faster than 60mph. In most parts of continental Europe, trailers are limited to 80-100kph. In British Columbia, it's 80kph for all trailers. The 100kph limit seems sensible. I've towed ~1500lb trailers with my SAAB 900, and it gets fairly squirrely around 65mph! I do not like it! But with a heavy tow vehicle, such as a pickup, you can get away with more. I had a government job one summer that put me in a full size Silverado pickup with a trailer. I could bomb around at 70mph or whatever the posted speed limit was and not have a problem. That truck was planted and safe at 70mph with the medium trailer I used, even in corners and crosswinds.

In the USA, such trailer speed laws do not exist (except possibly in California?). The speed limit's the speed limit as far as I know. And the freeway speed limit is often quite high!
Bottom line: different laws lead to different strategies to avoid liability on the part of car manufacturers and accessories dealers.

Sorry for the Off Topic. I felt I had to answer this, because once upon a time, I wondered the same thing you did about Europe vs. US attitudes toward trailering. It was only when installing the old SAAB trailer hitch and preparing to tow some trailers that I did the research and truly figured it out.

I did the trailer research because I don't do anything halfway. Especially not French bikes.

Last edited by scarlson; 12-08-21 at 10:35 PM.
Likes For scarlson:
Old 12-08-21, 10:10 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Originally Posted by scarlson

In the USA, such laws do not exist (except possibly in California?). The speed limit's the speed limit as far as I know. And the freeway speed limit is often quite high!
Bottom line: different laws lead to different strategies to avoid liability on the part of car manufacturers and accessories dealers.
the only speed limit distinctions made that i'm aware of across the US is on the interstates and only between passenger/utility vehicles and tractor trailers. even then, it's only a 5mph difference (not quite enough, imho) whether it's 60-65 or 70-75mph. even then, it's often not followed that i see much of the time.
if i'm pulling a trailer, it's always in excess of 1000lbs. i've had enough dodgy towing dynamics in the last few decades i stick to 50mph max on any highway or interstate. it is hard and dangerous to make an emergency stop with that much weight. on top of that, i avoid the interstate almost entirely. and, you're absolutely right!! trailer sway is freakin' scary. i've had it happen even with my load done proper. but, if i stay to my max speed, it never happens
Likes For thook:
Old 12-08-21, 10:17 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by scarlson

Sorry for the Off Topic.
it's a meandering topic....lol
Old 12-08-21, 10:41 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
I like French bikes and was prepared to defend the French bikes of the '70's that were so popular, however, I also realize that they continue to make excellent bikes and components now. Ok, they are pricer now compared to the value that they were in the '70's.

While I am not a Hambini fan, even though I posted a link to his video, the Look crank is innovative in so many ways. And Look was one of the original innovators of clipless pedals. I also like the classic Mafac brakes and any crank made by Stronglight just to cherry pick a few items.

In the late '70's I had an Astra brand 10 speed that my dad had bought for me in middle school. While it was low end, heavy, had plain steel tubing, a steel cottered crank and the textured steel rims, it was so much fun to ride. The distance that I could travel with this bike and the ride was amazing.
Old 12-08-21, 10:57 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by Velo Mule
I like French bikes and was prepared to defend the French bikes of the '70's that were so popular, however, I also realize that they continue to make excellent bikes and components now. Ok, they are pricer now compared to the value that they were in the '70's.

While I am not a Hambini fan, even though I posted a link to his video, the Look crank is innovative in so many ways. And Look was one of the original innovators of clipless pedals. I also like the classic Mafac brakes and any crank made by Stronglight just to cherry pick a few items.

In the late '70's I had an Astra brand 10 speed that my dad had bought for me in middle school. While it was low end, heavy, had plain steel tubing, a steel cottered crank and the textured steel rims, it was so much fun to ride. The distance that I could travel with this bike and the ride was amazing.
sounds like a schwinn...lol

hambini? i'm gonna have to name one of my dogs that
Old 12-08-21, 11:37 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26382 Post(s)
Liked 10,361 Times in 7,196 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
I suggest making your post titles a bit less trolly and they will likely be better received.
The question is would they have gotten the response with all the great
photos if I had done that?
...in your defense (if such is possible at this point. )

Many of the original low end French production bicycle components of the 70's were, indeed, junk. And they are the first things I replace on one if I want to ride it with less concern for my personal safety. The old French aluminum alloy bars were notorious for sagging and breakage, and I have broken at least one of them myself, while riding. Which is pretty exciting, I can tell you.

The unfortunate Simplex Delrin plastic story has already been referenced. That one is a shame, because prior to that, Simplex had been one of the industry giants, in the development and production of derailleurs.

And a lot of those old French aluminum alloy stems from the late 60's and early 70's are best treated as recycling material. But overall, there's probably much more good than bad in the French bikes that remain in use. I think most of the really bad ones have died and gone to hell. They were pretty cheap to buy in the first place, and a lot of people no longer know how to work on them.

Both of these taken off a 70's PX-10

Old 12-08-21, 11:40 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26382 Post(s)
Liked 10,361 Times in 7,196 Posts
^^^^
...I figure they ended up in hell, as the bikes given in the afterlife to people who like to ride high end Italian bikes, like me.
Old 12-09-21, 01:19 AM
poprad

Bikes: 07 Vanilla, 98 IRD road frame built up with 25th Ann DA, Surly cross check with 105 comp, 78 Raleigh Comp GS, 85 Centurionelli

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 191 Posts
I hope not, this has been one of my favorite threads. Lots of fantastic pics, plenty of off topic rambles...your original post wasn't insulting or mean, just a poke that got everyone posting pics of their French awesomes.

If your thread results in this kind of content you're doing it right.
Likes For poprad:
Old 12-09-21, 01:23 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
^^^^
...I figure they ended up in hell, as the bikes given in the afterlife to people who like to ride high end Italian bikes, like me.
so, are you saying italian are better than french bikes???
Old 12-09-21, 01:54 AM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 253 Posts
don't you haul things around over there, too? ie. firewood, lumber, animal feeds, all the bodies of your enemies you don't want to bury at your place? i mean, surely you have some use for trucks?
Given the way many cities and villages are laid out around here, we used to build cars which are spacious *inside* and compact on the outside instead of the other way around. Also, parking spaces are built 5mx2,30 which is enough for the front axle section of an F150
Before everybody decided they were Bear Grylls and needed SUVs to navigate the urban jungle, compact Minivans were popular. I still miss my VW Touran, could haul 3 persons, 3 bikes and camping gear for 3 weeks on the footprint slightly smaller than a long Rabbit/Golf...

There are some pickups around, of course.

https://ruylclassics.nl/wp-content/u...9-2021/001.jpg

Originally Posted by cudak888
My mistake; I meant the T5 - the name of the Mustang on it's introduction.

-Kurt
the recent version is quite popular because of its bang for the buck ratio, but many owners get a bit disillusioned when they learn the discount pricetag comes at the cost of build quality, not to mention a hefty fuel bill. We pay per liter what you guys pay per gallon
Likes For martl:
Old 12-09-21, 02:24 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by martl
Given the way many cities and villages are laid out around here, we used to build cars which are spacious *inside* and compact on the outside instead of the other way around. Also, parking spaces are built 5mx2,30 which is enough for the front axle section of an F150
Before everybody decided they were Bear Grylls and needed SUVs to navigate the urban jungle, compact Minivans were popular. I still miss my VW Touran, could haul 3 persons, 3 bikes and camping gear for 3 weeks on the footprint slightly smaller than a long Rabbit/Golf...

There are some pickups around, of course.

https://ruylclassics.nl/wp-content/u...9-2021/001.jpg

how cool! i didn't know peugeot had made trucks, too
yeah, i suppose there's an aspect of america that's into excess about certain things. but, what you say about how things are laid out over there makes sense and i did suspect that as a factor in these cultural differences. otoh, you say "used to". does that mean things are not quite that way, anymore? are you saying people are going all bear grylls over there, too?
i had an '84 westfalia vanagon for a couple of years before i wrecked it. i certainly appreciated how minimal yet spacious it was. the 1.9L boxer engine in the rear really made that possible. now if it had only had a bit more power..lol! 88hp i think was all it had. it did not like steep hills or interstate speeds
Old 12-09-21, 02:57 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
yeah, i don't know how to explain that. i have two '98 crv's. my wife's has a hitch, but it's very small and the most you could safely pull would be a little trailer that wouldn't do nearly what i need it to do. my crv doesn't even have provisions for a hitch, though. i'd have to modify the subframe for one. even then, with either car, the suspension is just not built for much weight. damage starts happening, otherwise. and, the little 4 cyl engines can't do much, either
where i live, a truck is a common and necessary vehicle. and, usually they look like they're very well used....lol
I've watched golfs pull horse trailers, and Tiguans (mine) pull two horse trailers (mine). The suspension, engine, and transmission are fine.
Old 12-09-21, 03:09 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

how cool! i didn't know peugeot had made trucks, too
yeah, i suppose there's an aspect of america that's into excess about certain things. but, what you say about how things are laid out over there makes sense and i did suspect that as a factor in these cultural differences. otoh, you say "used to". does that mean things are not quite that way, anymore? are you saying people are going all bear grylls over there, too?
i had an '84 westfalia vanagon for a couple of years before i wrecked it. i certainly appreciated how minimal yet spacious it was. the 1.9L boxer engine in the rear really made that possible. now if it had only had a bit more power..lol! 88hp i think was all it had. it did not like steep hills or interstate speeds
The fake SUV thing is here also. There are far fewer station wagons and sedans and more cross overs even in my house (X3/Tiguan/116) and my wife wants to replace the Tiguan with an X1. Cross Overs don't have more space than a wagon and get worse mileage by quite a bit ~40 VW, ~35 X3 vs ~60 for the 1er.
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 12-09-21, 05:34 AM
Colorado Kid

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
If you don't like French bikes, please sell it on the list. There're many fans of the bikes.
Likes For Colorado Kid:
Old 12-09-21, 05:38 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by Germany_chris
I've watched golfs pull horse trailers, and Tiguans (mine) pull two horse trailers (mine). The suspension, engine, and transmission are fine.
is it flat where you are? paved? how often was/is this done? manual or auto tranny?
Old 12-09-21, 06:43 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

is it flat where you are? paved? how often was/is this done? manual or auto tranny?
i live in Bavaria so it’s hilly and horse shows I generally in fields so paved and not. It’s a TDI with an automatic, I’ve been towing the horses around at least once a month since we bought the car in 2013.
Old 12-09-21, 07:33 AM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 393 Posts
In deference to the OP, availability and personal history play a big part especially here in small town NW Ohio. Growing up it was Schwinns and department store bikes mostly. We just never saw the foreign stuff except for an occasional British 3 speed. It was the same with our cars. VW made it in the later 60s and the Japanese did it pretty big in the 70s. Our small town Midwestern exposure to French cars was when they were associated with American Motors Corporation (AMC), and that wasn’t the cream of the crop. AMC didn’t do US built cars very good either.

It was obviously quite different on the coasts. Large population centers allow more brands, and I would guess the East coast had somewhat reasonable import costs from Europe. Indeed, there were probably more US citizens freshly “off the boat” that wanted a bike from their home country. In the same way, I’ve read that the Japanese established on the West coast most. We saw few of those here too in the early import era.

The OP has come into some very nice Japanese bikes considering our geographical location and the small numbers here. I’ve not been in this vintage hobby too many years, and one can watch adds daily for years and not come up with anything. Chicago, Detroit, Columbus would be different, and eventually some of those bikes filter to the smaller towns. After many years in the hobby, one makes contacts and gets more exposed, but generally we just muddle around and acquire something here and there and then get to experience that. I would bet the OP comes into a nice French bike sometime and I would welcome his observations as he sure seems to find some pristine stuff.
Old 12-09-21, 08:28 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
The fake SUV thing is here also. There are far fewer station wagons and sedans and more cross overs even in my house (X3/Tiguan/116) and my wife wants to replace the Tiguan with an X1. Cross Overs don't have more space than a wagon and get worse mileage by quite a bit ~40 VW, ~35 X3 vs ~60 for the 1er.
looks like the German national Government is pulling forward the date to stop selling ICE powered cars… at least electric have good torque.
the last new ICE engine may already have been developed.
Old 12-09-21, 09:05 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,657 Times in 1,677 Posts
I love this thread and I love motobecanes.
Old 12-09-21, 09:11 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Right, I've towed in my little Saab and it's fine for me too. I don't think the differences in US and European towing specs are related to the running gear. It's about speed. Europe has trailer-specific speed limits, whereas the USA does not, so the automakers and accessory manufacturers change the specifications to avoid liability in the US.

Of course, if you can weld, you can attach a trailer hitch to anything you want. There's a guy in Vermont who has a hitch on his first-generation Honda Insight (1L engine). I doubt he can go faster than 45mph with a trailer attached to that car, so it's likely not a problem.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.