Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Are Japanese bikes junk? Or, how I learned to stop worrying and love all bikes

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-21, 02:18 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts

Man, that Robert guy really knows how to start a thread!

In the interest of having a nuanced conversation that starts out with the assumption that we can all appreciate a good or even a low end bike from any country, I'd like to know what you all think are the highest end and lowest end of a country's bikes. Japan, USA, Italy, France and England come to mind as the obvious targets, but perhaps also Switzerland, any of the Nordics. Maybe even Taiwan made bikes in a large enough range in the C&V era to be considered.

I'll start.

Japanese High End:
Zunow
C.S. Hirose
Konno/3 Rensho
Cherubim

Japanese Low End:
Royce Union
Kabukis
C. Itoh
Any of the millions of entry level or bike boom bike from mass manufacturers.
Likes For tricky:
Old 12-13-21, 02:33 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4944 Post(s)
Liked 8,084 Times in 3,825 Posts
My '77 Nishiki ONP. Not as "boutique" as some of the ones you listed, but definitely a long way from junk.
Old 12-13-21, 02:34 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1800 Post(s)
Liked 2,334 Times in 1,378 Posts
I thought Kabukis were Bridgestones?? Quick Reply
Old 12-13-21, 03:13 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts
Originally Posted by WGB
I thought Kabukis were Bridgestones?? Quick Reply
Made by Bridgestone, and not all were junk or low end, plus coolest head badge ever. On the high end, the OP kind of blew off Fuji and Panasonic, makers of some of the best from Japan
Tim

Last edited by tkamd73; 12-13-21 at 03:19 PM.
Likes For tkamd73:
Old 12-13-21, 03:15 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
@Eric F
That is one handsome machine!
Likes For BFisher:
Old 12-13-21, 03:24 PM
microcord

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 52 Posts
Here's a pretty up-to-date list of Japanese frame builders, with links. The great majority work in steel. I'd have more confidence riding a steel (or titanium or alumin(i)um) frame made by any of them than riding an expensive carbon fibre frame emblazoned with just about any brand name; whether their "end" is high or low doesn't concern me. Of course the list doesn't cover a considerable number of defunct brands: Amuna, Iribe, Reminton, etc.
Old 12-13-21, 03:25 PM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 393 Posts
I’m hoping my project 72 Fuji Newest that I am working on at least gets to mid-upper tier on vintage Japanese.
Old 12-13-21, 03:25 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4944 Post(s)
Liked 8,084 Times in 3,825 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher
@Eric F
That is one handsome machine!
Thank you.
Old 12-13-21, 04:10 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by tkamd73
Made by Bridgestone, and not all were junk or low end, plus coolest head badge ever. On the high end, the OP kind of blew off Fuji and Panasonic, makers of some of the best from Japan
Tim

Yes, I wasn't clear in my description, but I wasn't trying to be comprehensive in my list. Definitely a ton of high quality stuff from Japan and most manufacturers make bikes on the full spectrum; Fuji, Univega, Panasonic, Kabuki, et al
Old 12-13-21, 04:23 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Then there are all the full-line Japanese manufactures (Fuji et al) that offered everything. In my experience, even the low-end Fujis ride or certainly handle very nicely, and I am putting my money where my mouth is on that with a very large, very heavy (frameset), and very mid-range del Rey and it's a great bike. I even purposefully kept the narrow (at the hoods, wider in the drops) 37cm bars because that contributed to the way it steered and I liked the way it did so on the original test ride (before getting overhauled and upgraded).
Old 12-13-21, 05:05 PM
robertj298 

Bikes: 1983 Univega Super Strada, 1986 Panasonic DX5000, 1984 Fuji Team 85 Univega Gran Turismo, 1984 Lotus Unique, 1987 Centurion Expert, 1987 Centurion Ironman Master,

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 182 Posts
I have to admit my threads on French and Italian bikes were worded badly. I'm sure there are great vintage bikes that were made there

and other countries but I'll admit that I am a cheapskate but I like a quality product. I have owned probably 10 Japanese vintage bikes. All were mid to upper tier

bikes. All were in excellent+ condition needing only basic service and parts. All were bought between $100 and $300. I honestly don't

believe I could find the same quality French or Italian bike for close to that price. I am the same way with automobiles I have owned 4 Toyotas and 3

Hondas over the years. All have gone between 200-300 thousand miles with very few repairs or issues. Are there better German and Italian made cars

,probably . Will they be more or even as reliable? probably not. Can I afford one? defiantly not lol
Old 12-13-21, 06:57 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
All the Japanese mass volume such as Bridgestone, Fuji, Miyata, Panasonic and Sekine, offered high grade models. So, too did many of the Japnesee contract maanufactured brands, such as Kabuki and C. Itoh, as owners of Diamond series models will testify.

However, a lot of those other so-called Japanese bicycles, such as Centurion, Lotus and Nishiki, were actually owned by USA marketing comanies who had the bicycles contract manufactured by whichever nation offered the best value and consumer accepotance for their price point. In fact all three brands, had high grade models manfactured in Italy during the mid-1980s.

To look at the lowest grade bicycles to come out of Japan, you have to look at the models offered by the USA automotive, hardware and department store chains. Even though they they were manufactured to a very low price point, most of them were still quality bicycles. Sure, they weren't light or high performance but they were inexpensive and could be reliable, if mediocre, recreational transporration. A lot members will roll their eyes about them being "reliable" but the vast majority of these bicycles were decent and good value for their price point. Typically, they weren't much lower grade than the entry level bicycles from the big name, mass volume brands at the LBS. In fact, they were often made by the same company. Their poor reputations stams from the inexperiended, cheap labour they used to assemble these bicycle. All they really needed were competent mechanics, which was the ace up the LBS' sleeve.

Last edited by T-Mar; 12-13-21 at 07:03 PM.
Old 12-13-21, 07:12 PM
droppedandlost 
small ring

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 370 Posts
coolest head badge ever.
Likes For droppedandlost:
Old 12-13-21, 07:18 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Their poor reputations stams from the inexperiended, cheap labour they used to assemble these bicycle. All they really needed were competent mechanics, which was the ace up the LBS' sleeve.
Not only that, but the poor quality parts the manufacturers spec'd them with. I've had and have some Schwinns, Dawes, Peugeot, Raleigh, and others that weren't primo as a frameset, but not junk, either. Taking off the junk parts...Simplex, Huret, Shimano, Sunrace, and bottom of the barrel Suntour ...and replacing them with the good stuff makes a world of difference.
Likes For thook:
Old 12-13-21, 07:22 PM
majmt 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 1,101 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by tricky

In the interest of having a nuanced conversation that starts out with the assumption that we can all appreciate a good or even a low end bike from any country, I'd like to know what you all think are the highest end and lowest end of a country's bikes. Japan, USA, Italy, France and England come to mind as the obvious targets, but perhaps also Switzerland, any of the Nordics. Maybe even Taiwan made bikes in a large enough range in the C&V era to be considered.

Go ahead and start a thread here asking if all Italian bikes are junk. I dare ya.

Old 12-13-21, 07:22 PM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by tricky

I'll start.

Japanese High End:
Zunow
C.S. Hirose
Konno/3 Rensho
Cherubim

Japanese Low End:
Royce Union
Kabukis
C. Itoh
Any of the millions of entry level or bike boom bike from mass manufacturers.
Italy has contributed a huge lot to the culture of cycling, I'll never deny it. They have a love for design, which in turn i love. Sometimes, they chose bling over quality or actual progress. I've seen mid level japanese frames (Tsunoda for example) which would put most high-end Italian frames to shame.

For Japan, you can name almost any manufacturer up on the pedestal, be it Nagasawa, Panasonic, Kalavinka, Umezawa, Anchor, Gan Well, Eimei, Georama, Watanabe.. Etc etc
Old 12-13-21, 07:40 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,374 Times in 1,580 Posts
...., plus coolest head badge ever......
Tim
that seems like an obvious thread topic! There would have to be separate competitions for production bikes and custom bikes, though.
I might have to do a search and see if it's already been done.... seems incredible that it wouldn't have been discussed thoroughly by now.

Steve in Peoria
(I think Rivendell would place fairly high in that competition)
Old 12-13-21, 07:44 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by droppedandlost
Cooler headbadge, AND cooler name.
Likes For shoota:
Old 12-13-21, 07:46 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
that seems like an obvious thread topic! There would have to be separate competitions for production bikes and custom bikes, though.
I might have to do a search and see if it's already been done.... seems incredible that it wouldn't have been discussed thoroughly by now.

Steve in Peoria
(I think Rivendell would place fairly high in that competition)
It kinda has..there is a "Show your headbadge" thread somewhere.
Old 12-13-21, 07:56 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
hmmm my first 10 speed was an Azuki.... probably a contract built bike, Paid $160 for it in 1971 (sugar beet hoeing money) it was a good bike for what it was. typical build for the time... suntour deraillers and shifters, dia compe center pull with suicide levers, alloy stem, handle bars, and seat post, quick release wheels with alloy rims.(Sunshine IIRC not sure if 4130 or chrome moly

This was not junk by any means, and compared to todays entry level (big box store) bikes a ton better in functionality and reliability. and had a cool head badge, and nice candy apple blue paint.

this bike got be through highs school and the coast guard....it got to get ridden in Connecticut, NYC, Virginia, florida, Newfoundland, Nova scotia, Bahamas and Bermuda

Old 12-13-21, 07:58 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Originally Posted by majmt
Go ahead and start a thread here asking if all Italian bikes are junk. I dare ya.

under the paint some had not so great brazing, but the lowly torpado super strada i had road so nice that I am looking for it's big brother, the super light

Old 12-13-21, 07:59 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
I can only speak from my own experience, but I'll take a stab at Austrian bikes.

High end: Austro-Daimler Ultima
Double-butted Reynold 531 tubing
Forged Campagnolo dropouts
Reasonable (neutral) geometry
I bought it with a mish-mash of parts and replaced those with a different mish-mash
This was a very smooth bike

Low end: Steyr Clubman
Hi-ten steel frame and fork, with plastic "chrome" fork crown cover
Stamped dropouts
Wacky geometry (69º seat tube angle, IIRC)
I bought it with a lot of rust, including very rusty parts. I cleaned up what I could and supplemented with similarly low end parts where needed.
The saddle was an unholy mix of rubber, steel, and springs.
I rode this thing 100 kilometers and never want to have to ride one again.
When cleaned up, they look kind of nice.
Old 12-13-21, 08:03 PM
squirtdad

Originally Posted by thook
Not only that, but the poor quality parts the manufacturers spec'd them with. I've had and have some Schwinns, Dawes, Peugeot, Raleigh, and others that weren't primo as a frameset, but not junk, either. Taking off the junk parts...Simplex, Huret, Shimano, Sunrace, and bottom of the barrel Suntour ...and replacing them with the good stuff makes a world of difference.
to many, I think the response is "thems fighting words",

IME the low end Japanese bikes I had were a mix of Suntour, Diacompe, SR, Sugino, araya, sunshine, etc and worked well, especially at the price point, I can't speak to simplex or huret.

so different than low end bikes to day where the parts are really throwaway (based on working on neighbors, friends and relatives bikes)

Old 12-13-21, 08:17 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
There is a lot of talk of what is junk lately. But I suppose Japanese bikes are an easy target to pick on as they were a big part of the 70s and 80s bike booms. But a good many of them were pretty solidly built in my opinion. Suzue hubs, Arraya rims, Sugino cranks, Suntour drivetrains and Dia-Compe brakes hold up well. I'm one of many who owe my love of cycling to the bike boom and Japanese hi-tensile. Were it not for the dependable bikes that came from the bike boom at an affordable price I would not have known anything other than department store chain offerings.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 12-13-21, 08:18 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Ot

I feel like I'm on a dystopian Bradbury carousel where the beautiful horses have been replaced with BSOs and the music is Tom Waits 'Bone Machine' playing backwards. And I just keep getting older.

Gonna be a long winter.
Likes For clubman:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.