Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

People Love Old Bikes But New….Meh

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

People Love Old Bikes But New….Meh

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-21, 08:57 AM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
personal observations in order of most heads turned. Fat bikes, Junk/art/lowrider bikes, Cargo bikes, Ebikes, Vintage, everything else seems to get no cares.
Old 12-15-21, 09:00 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
on the street with non-cyclists? Not the old bike. Carbon for sure will get the attention. If you really want attention pull up to a bunch of kids or harley riders with a carbon velomobile or recumbent, you'll be a rockstar instantly

Velo and recumbent are a whole different story, but I've never seen non-cyclists take an interest in a new-fangled carbon bike. Maybe some of this relates to where we ride?
Old 12-15-21, 09:01 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder. I was sitting at a stoplight the other day. In front of me were 2 half ton pickups from one of the auto brands. One was from the late 60s-early 70s. The other was from the latest design of that company. Both stock. In fact, the old one had "Farm Use" plates and had seen better days. It was amazing how sleek and racy the old truck looked compared to the new one. The new one looked like a tank, locomotive or rhino, while the old one had the stance of a NASCAR Truck Series truck. I muttered under my breath, "Jeez, trucks sure have gotten ugly!"

Last edited by seypat; 12-15-21 at 09:19 AM.
Old 12-15-21, 09:04 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Branko D

I think my CF road bike looks dashing, myself.

​​​​​

I wouldn't disagree, but I could see how someone would look at that and think you weren't the friendly conversational sort. There's a certain undefinable "get out of my way" vibe I get from a bike that looks like that.

Not that there's anything wrong with that....
Old 12-15-21, 09:11 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by sloppy12
personal observations in order of most heads turned. Fat bikes, Junk/art/lowrider bikes, Cargo bikes, Ebikes, Vintage, everything else seems to get no cares.
I think that's a pretty good list.

I find the most conversation starter bikes that I have ridden are cruisers which I have ridden pretty fast. I got both the nostalgia crowd commenting on it and a few "wow, I had no idea you could do that on that kind of bike" comments. I haven't ridden one in almost 5 years now, conversation starting isn't enough of a feature to overcome the bike's absurd disadvantages for my purposes.
Old 12-15-21, 09:14 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts
My newest bike is a 91, so would have to agree, if I’m stopped on the MUP, someone will always stop to talk or comment. Sometimes it’s just disbelief that I’m still using dt shifters, still I’ve met a lot of nice people. We also have a couple of 70s sports cars, you can’t stop anywhere without people approaching you to comment, or just look.
I think with older people, it brings back their youth, which for many was a happier times, for the young possibly something they haven’t seen before.
For me it’s simple esthetics, just not into the sloping top tube, long seat pole look. I don’t really care how light or fast it is. But looking at alcjphil’s post, I could definitely do one of those, great look!
Old 12-15-21, 09:14 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Bonus points for lots of flashy colors and decals. The current trend of matte black carbon bikes won't attract much attention from non-cyclists; think of something like the Eurobike instead.

Which Eurobike? They're diversifying:

https://www.amazon.com/stores/Eurobi...A?ref_=ast_bln
Old 12-15-21, 09:20 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
This is really a pretty pathetic thread.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 12-15-21, 09:23 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
It's nostalgia. Classic car shows, classic bicycles, etc.... People like things that remind them of good times in their lives. People also like and buy into the idea of being a part of those times even if they never lived at that time. Nothing wrong with it, it's super common and it can be really fun.

"New" items can often be more seen as just appliances. Sorry, but 90% of classic cars were just that when new......appliances. Just like a toaster. Turn key, drive to work and back. People with nostalgia give them their soul. The appliance had no soul at the beginning.

This might be why folks oogle over the "supercars" and "superbikes" for newer products. They're the ones marketed and sold as having "soul" to begin with. A Ferrari. A Pinarello Dogma. Etc.... Part substance large part marketing.

One key difference with the bike versus the car is the bike "superbikes" take a bit more personal development to get that childish grin on your face than a "supercar". The blokes on Top Gear are good at driving them, but they're not Ayrton Senna. It doesn't take a ton of skill to have a massive smile on your face driving a Ferrari. Riding a Dogma or Bolide? You need at least a bit of legs, heart, and lungs to get the equivalent smile. With bikes, I think this edge goes to the classic stuff. You can ride and smile big on a cool rig without needing the strong input. Just spin and smile. I would personally try to build up a classic rig for endurance rides but would need to research which I could get decent tire on. I'm not a big guy, but the comfort of squish matters enough I would want to ride it comfortably. Not cuss and swear all day on 19mm tires.
Old 12-15-21, 09:25 AM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by BobsPoprad
That's my motto. Classy or not, if you can't be good, at least look good! Not that I actually achieve this...
The trick is perception. When I sit on a classic steel racer with my beer belly, the observer may believe that at one time I was a fine racer. One sits on a very expensive modern bike with the same beer belly and they may think, why did he waste all that money?
Old 12-15-21, 09:31 AM
Russ5415

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not old versus new, but yeah, it happens all the time. My wife has a modern carbon fiber road bike and an Electra cruiser. When she rides the cruiser, that's the one that gets all the attention when people want to come up and talk about bikes.
Likes For Russ5415:
Old 12-15-21, 09:38 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Russ5415
Not old versus new, but yeah, it happens all the time. My wife has a modern carbon fiber road bike and an Electra cruiser. When she rides the cruiser, that's the one that gets all the attention when people want to come up and talk about bikes.

My experience with cruisers is that they're just about the friendliest looking ride one can imagine--you might as well be driving the ice cream truck with the bells going.

People aren't actually talking to the bike, they're figuring out whether you're approachable based on your bike for whatever conversational reasons they might have.
Old 12-15-21, 09:44 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by indyfabz
My 2016 Engin has been turning heads ever since I rode it home from the builders. Got at least one more compliment the last time I rode it, which was back in September.

Do people know that they're looking at a relatively new bike? I really do think there's more than nostalgia involved here. The custom-built frame has that minimalist aesthetic plus craftsman flourishes appeal I was talking about.

I'm finding this thread really interesting from a sociological perspective.
Old 12-15-21, 09:45 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by seypat
Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder. I was sitting at a stoplight the other day. In front of me were 2 half ton pickups from one of the auto brands. One was from the late 60s-early 70s. The other was from the latest design of that company. Both stock. In fact, the old one had "Farm Use" plates and had seen better days. It was amazing how sleek and racy the old truck looked compared to the new one. The new one looked like a tank, locomotive or rhino, while the old one had the stance of a NASCAR Truck Series truck. I muttered under my breath, "Jeez, trucks sure have gotten ugly!"
The trucks in this post were Chevys. I forgot that Ford made the retro Eliminator Concept to hype their electric crate motor. The Eliminator is lowered some, but otherwise stock looking. You decide which looks better. The old one, or the new one?

https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...r-concept.html

https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/f150-lightning/2022/

Last edited by seypat; 12-15-21 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-15-21, 09:47 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Do people know that they're looking at a relatively new bike?
Probably, since it still looks brand new. Except for the current bar tape, which needs replacing.
Old 12-15-21, 09:49 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked 1,654 Times in 781 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
It takes time, money, and care to restore an old muscle car, I can go to a car lot and get an STi, that's the difference. No car guy thinks a 70 Chevelle with a stock BB is fast, 300-400 carbureted horsepower hasn't been much in a long time.
You can spend all that time, money, and care to restore your old muscle car, and you'll end up with - a new looking, old technology, slow car.
I built up my current carbon fiber, Di2 equipped bike from components. I bought the frame/fork, cut the steering tube to the proper length, ran all my Di2 wires, installed a press fit BB, etc, etc. Is that any less work than restoring an old bike?

It's all about what you want, and what you enjoy doing. Have at it.
Old 12-15-21, 09:51 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO

John
There’s lots of pathetic threads here, read one you like!
Tim
Likes For tkamd73:
Old 12-15-21, 10:04 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
I owned an old pickup truck. I'd take a new one every day of the week.
Old 12-15-21, 10:05 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,886 Times in 6,090 Posts
I get comments on the old bikes, and I get comments on my new CF bike - though they're all about the matte electric blue finish. The bike that's always gotten the most comments is also the reddest bike. I had an early 90s Battaglin frame in a yellow/blue fade stripped and painted Ferrari red, and I kitted it out with all bright alloy 2006 Chorus (that was back in 2007), so it's all red and silver, with white bar tape. That one gets the most comment.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-15-21, 10:06 AM
rdecredico

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

John

Pathos is what this forum does best.
Likes For rdecredico:
Old 12-15-21, 10:07 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by Koyote
I owned an old pickup truck. I'd take a new one every day of the week.
We're talking about aesthetics here, not actual functionality.
Old 12-15-21, 10:08 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Could be why I like the lugged carbon Colnago look. Or would prefer to wear a classic dial watch rather than Apple smartwatch.
Old 12-15-21, 10:09 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
You can spend all that time, money, and care to restore your old muscle car, and you'll end up with - a new looking, old technology, slow car.
I built up my current carbon fiber, Di2 equipped bike from components. I bought the frame/fork, cut the steering tube to the proper length, ran all my Di2 wires, installed a press fit BB, etc, etc. Is that any less work than restoring an old bike?

It's all about what you want, and what you enjoy doing. Have at it.

Again, this thread is about street conversations. One of the big drivers of such conversations are the tinkerers who work on and build their own stuff. I'm pretty sure that more of the bicyclists who do this are working with older frames, mechanical drivetrains, etc. No one's arguing you don't exist, just that most people buy their entire bike when they buy new, so you're less likely to find someone like-minded randomly on the street. If you hang out with a group of such people, of course you'll be talking about each other's bikes.
Old 12-15-21, 10:10 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I've had multiple people, adults and kids alike, admire my matte black with hyper green accents carbon Spec Roubaix when I've stopped at different parks to use the restroom. My Canyon Inflite AL in Miami blue/sunset gets raves every time I post a photo of it on Strava, and once on a group ride, a guy riding his beautiful custom steel Hampsten gushed over it and started waxing poetic about how much he admired the bang for the buck that Canyons like mine and a friend of his offered.

​​​​​​Anecdotes, yep.
Old 12-15-21, 10:10 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
It just screams "I'm old!"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.