Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Giant Talon 2018 Rear Hub Assembly and Preload

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-22, 06:43 AM
Energeezer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I serviced the front hub with no issues. It used regular cone nuts and lock nuts.

The rear hub also uses cone and lock nuts but on the drive side the cone nut is recessed into the freehub body and therefore is not accessible by a cone wrench. In addition there is a small metallic nut shaped cover which goes over the cone nut and applies pressure to a rubber seal over the bearings.

The issue is that I cant hold the cone nut since it is recessed under the freehub and covered by the metallic cover. The cover in my case is more of a dome than a nut so I can't get a wrench on it properly. This prevents holding the cone nut in place and tightening the locking nut against it.

So the question is how to set pre-load and lock the drive side? I considered assembling the brake side at the correct dimensions, inserting the axle and the assembling the drive side. The issue being I will only be able to get the locking nut finger tight against the cone nut.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-19-22, 08:53 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
Remove the axle. Lock the RH cone and lock nut (with any spacers) against each other. Reinstall the axle from the RH side, spin on the LH parts and adjust/set pre load with the LH side. Test in frame with the QR tightened to check for additional preload from the QR pressure. Andy
Old 01-19-22, 12:18 PM
Energeezer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Remove the axle. Lock the RH cone and lock nut (with any spacers) against each other. Reinstall the axle from the RH side, spin on the LH parts and adjust/set pre load with the LH side. Test in frame with the QR tightened to check for additional preload from the QR pressure. Andy
Thanks Andrew
I will give that a go but forsee an issue. The cover/cup that goes between the cone and lock nut and covers the cone is going to make it difficult to grip the cone. I am new here so I can't load a pic or link but if you paste the below into address bar it should work. The cover I am referring to is item 12 but unlike the schematic it is not a true nut shape. It's more of a loose fitting cover which will make it difficult to hold the cone nut as I tighten the lock nt against it

reveloutdoors.co.uk/Giant-Rear-Hub-Axle-Service-Kit-for-GDC-1520--151A-AX4069-501/accessorydetail/3-43446
Old 01-19-22, 07:05 PM
Energeezer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
You were right. Just needed a 17mm cone wrench to go over the cover.
Thank you.